Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: A tip about the basement

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Maxby12's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

A tip about the basement

So a bit before I was rewatching some of the first episodes of the SNK anime and I noticed something I didn't before about the basement. In the episode 9 when Eren, Mikasa and Armin are cornered and pointed with cannons and so on Eren remembers things that his father told him after the fallen of shinganshina: "And your memories will help you master it". Obvsiously he was talking about mastering the power of changing into a titan but with this phrase I realised that inside the basement there probably are some books/memories/records about a human titan like Eren talking about how you can master it. I don't really know if the subs who translated these subtitles were correct but I'm pretty sure it is correct.

If we supose that this statement is correct then this "titan guy" who wrote these memories is a titan like Annie who has lots of utilities while being inside the titan's body even outside!

I did not noticed such a thing on the SNK manga... well I supose watching the anime has its benefits.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Solace Kane's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A tip about the basement

I just saw the episode you are referring to and the subtitles i read said " Their memories will guide you" so yeah it could be a translation error or preference who knows. If it is indeed "Their", then that implies either a journal or record of other shifters before eren or living sentient titan-shifters capable of human speech in human form imprisoned in the basement maybe that erens dad experimented on.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Though it's true that for a Titan shifter, Eren doesn't seem to have any special powers. I am not sure if the Coordinate counts.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Solace Kane View Post
    I just saw the episode you are referring to and the subtitles i read said " Their memories will guide you" so yeah it could be a translation error or preference who knows. If it is indeed "Their", then that implies either a journal or record of other shifters before eren or living sentient titan-shifters capable of human speech in human form imprisoned in the basement maybe that erens dad experimented on.
    I can't speak Japanese, but I've always been under the impression that the language contains gender-neutral pronouns, equivalents of 'his' or 'her', which cannot be accurately translated into English. 'Their' would be the closest translation in English. So when Grisha said "Their memories will guide you.", he might have meant "His memories will guide you." or "Her memories will guide you.".

I might as well be wrong though, and Grisha could have meant exactly what he said.

Quote Quote:
    So a bit before I was rewatching some of the first episodes of the SNK anime and I noticed something I didn't before about the basement. In the episode 9 when Eren, Mikasa and Armin are cornered and pointed with cannons and so on Eren remembers things that his father told him after the fallen of shinganshina: "And your memories will help you master it". Obvsiously he was talking about mastering the power of changing into a titan but with this phrase I realised that inside the basement there probably are some books/memories/records about a human titan like Eren talking about how you can master it. I don't really know if the subs who translated these subtitles were correct but I'm pretty sure it is correct.

If we supose that this statement is correct then this "titan guy" who wrote these memories is a titan like Annie who has lots of utilities while being inside the titan's body even outside!

I did not noticed such a thing on the SNK manga... well I supose watching the anime has its benefits.
    What could be in the basement is pretty much anybody's guess. I think that Grisha was a part of the royal conspiracy, or that somehow he discovered things he wasn't meant to know about said conspiracy. He dedicated his life to Titan research and memory alternation, but worked independently from the Survey Corps, due to their dependency on the royal government, or because he might have been distrustful as a person. When he was told that Eren wanted to join the Corps, he decided to tell him what he had been doing because he trusted his son.

New Reply