Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Underrated Authors

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Underrated Authors

Any underrated manga authors (art and story) that youve encountered and should be looked into?

YAMAMOTO Kotetsuko - good fantasy writer that definitely deserve more praise, she does excellent character design in her works with older young adults interested in some type of romances in their small town setting (Omairi Desu yo). Her current Konya mo Nemurenai is my favorite on going as its just a simple multi world story of humans and demons trying to develop some type of love relationship with good comedy, art, and a good focus on plot.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Underrated Authors

1. Matsunaga Toyokazu - no one can tell a story with so little events better than him, he is the master of the most fulfilling works, and remains obscure still. His manga make me want to continue reading they are so good in providing a great story with a wonderful closure that you think what more can I ask?

2. Minoru Furuya - same story, to be fair his stuff is not that scanned online, but I do think he does get some more feedback in Japan.

---------- Post added May 17, 2014 at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was May 12, 2014 at 04:26 PM ----------

Kouji Kumeta - author of SZS, it feels like he is greatly admired yet underrated overall as an author, I think his manga need more attention, as Zetsubou-sensei was probably a hit for the anime.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not being biased when I say Kishimoto. Right now, the manga is horrible (IMO), but back in Part I, it was great. Kishi introduced great and complex themes and gave Naruto a great character (at least, to me he was a great character) with real conflicts. The main drawback was that the manga was aimed at kids rather than older teens and adults, so he had to cater to the kids. But yeah, had he continued the direction, Naruto now would be a great manga, likely better than One Piece.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I'm not being biased when I say Kishimoto. Right now, the manga is horrible (IMO), but back in Part I, it was great. Kishi introduced great and complex themes and gave Naruto a great character (at least, to me he was a great character) with real conflicts. The main drawback was that the manga was aimed at kids rather than older teens and adults, so he had to cater to the kids. But yeah, had he continued the direction, Naruto now would be a great manga, likely better than One Piece.
    I agree. Even side characters had their own desires, ideology and reasons for doing what they were doing, which was written brilliantly in the Chuunin Exams. It's a pity that people will associate Naruto with the most recent chapters now, but there's still a reason why the series became as popular as it did.

I have a feeling that working on one story for more than a decade has burnt Kishimoto out.

New Reply