Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Equal but Opposite - What makes the Shinigami polar opposites of the Quincies?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Equal but Opposite - What makes the Shinigami polar opposites of the Quincies?

Okay, so I've set up this thread to discuss what might connect the dots between the Shinigami and Quincies, which have been stated on several occasions to be "polar opposites" to each other. This is something I've been dying to find out from Bleach, as we've seen the term isn't loosely used, as they're literally the opposite on the atomic level, as shown by Urahara's method of stabilizing the Vizard transformations. Allow me to offer my own theory...

We know Yhwach's power is to insert part of his soul into a Human to "fix" them, and then he gains their knowledge, skills and power after they die. This also restores Yhwach's own body; he's kinda like the monster in Jeepers Creepers. Back when we first learned about Yhwach's origins, one of the panels caught my eye; Yhwach has the ability to mend broken hearts. Now, look at what Shinigami do when they slay Hollows; they're essentially "fixing" their broken hearts in pretty much the same way. What I'm trying to say here is there's a possibility that the Shinigami share the same relationship with Hollows as Yhwach does with Humans.

This may also explain WHAT the Shinigami are; Hollows that have received a part of the Shinigami progenitor's (let's assume it's the Soul King) soul which has "fixed" them. We know Nimaiya created all of the Asauchi, so it could be that the Asauchi were designed to be able to insert part of the Soul King's soul into those that they purify either through slaying or performing a soul burial.

Join in with your theories!!!
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.
    • Yhwach isn't going to be the final antagonist.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equal but Opposite - What makes the Shinigami polar opposites of the Quincies?

So... Let´s see if I get the argument here...

Is the claim involved that the Shinigami are in fact hollows that the soul King imbued with fragments of his power through the zanpakto to create the shinigami we seen all this time? "Ascended hollows" if one would call it that?
    If so, then I can´t make heads or tails of it... but it would make sense in how Aizen through the Hyogoku could create arrancars if the species limit between shinigami and hollow are similar like that, only ascending the unaffected hollows with... oh holy shit... did they turned to arrancars when they got a Asauchi of their own? If so then no wait a moment here... if the Shinigami really were hollows, then how in the everliving well would the Quincies steal the bankais in the first place?
    It doesn´t add up... unless there´s a theory that the Shinigami needed to reverse their evolutionary tree with the Urahara pills to gain some anti-bodies to poison the quincies with.

I might be off tangent but the Soul King isn´t Ywach, since everything that dies enters reincarnation... not going back to him unless the Big S is the universe itself.

I am confused.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equal but Opposite - What makes the Shinigami polar opposites of the Quincies?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanozom View Post
    So... Let´s see if I get the argument here...

Is the claim involved that the Shinigami are in fact hollows that the soul King imbued with fragments of his power through the zanpakto to create the shinigami we seen all this time? "Ascended hollows" if one would call it that?
    If so, then I can´t make heads or tails of it... but it would make sense in how Aizen through the Hyogoku could create arrancars if the species limit between shinigami and hollow are similar like that, only ascending the unaffected hollows with... oh holy shit... did they turned to arrancars when they got a Asauchi of their own? If so then no wait a moment here... if the Shinigami really were hollows, then how in the everliving well would the Quincies steal the bankais in the first place?
    It doesn´t add up... unless there´s a theory that the Shinigami needed to reverse their evolutionary tree with the Urahara pills to gain some anti-bodies to poison the quincies with.

I might be off tangent but the Soul King isn´t Ywach, since everything that dies enters reincarnation... not going back to him unless the Big S is the universe itself.

I am confused.
    My theory on this is that when the Soul King "heals" the Hollow, it's simply not a Hollow anymore; it's powers also transform into Shinigami powers, and the Hollow's "core" ultimately influences the Zanpakutou's form.

This theory could explain other mysteries in Bleach, such as how dead Shinigami could be used create a Hollow such as White; when the Shinigami dies, the Shinigami powers get transformed back into Hollow powers as the healing process is reversed (similar to how the Quincy powers return to Yhwach); of course by then the Shinigami is dead, so they don't suddenly Hollowfy. Another thing it could explain is some of the similarities between Shinigami and Hollows, such as their Bankai/Resurreccion being damaged altering their form permanently, and why Urahara compared the Resurreccion to a Bankai.
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.
    • Yhwach isn't going to be the final antagonist.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about the part of juhabach sharing the same relationship with humans as the soul king with shinigami. For one thing juhabach is not actually limited as to whom he can give a part of his soul to. We already know for a fact that any soul can receive a part of juhabach's own, jugram made that point a while ago when speaking with ishida. It is also not a situation of juhabach having a specific relationship with "humans" either. A quincy soul and a human soul are distinct as far as we know. Human souls are not "quincy" souls. "human" is an independent category of soul, hence why it is needed too to balance hybrids. It is plausible a human souls can also turn into a quincy souls but even they are different things.

In your theory the fixing part is taken a tad too freely IMO because what is going on in both cases is entirely different and unrelated. Hollows do get their hearts torn out BUT it becomes their masks. In turn with juhabach people receive an extra piece of soul to strengthen them. Based on the details we know of I don't see any particular reason for the situation to be the same at all. I also doubt hollows are receiving pieces of shinigami souls when slayed. I would think we would already know about that by now if it was the case.

Perhaps the case can be made that in some level it is asauchi that work similarly to juhabach's ability though for the benefit of shinigami. There is no reason for us to think the asauchi are related to the soul king itself so far, nimaiya was very specific in saying that asauchi were made from shinigami souls. Basically asauchi would be a soul made from other souls that has the specific purpose of strengthening shinigami by bringing out their abilities. A shinigami receives an asauchi and the shinigami pours his soul into it. The asauchi grows by absorbing the essence and zampakuto of the shinigami and the zampakuto grows and manifests into the world by fusing into the soul of the asauchi. Although in this case it would still be a tad different from what juhabach does. Rather, it is shinigami who are pouring their soul into something else... Or maybe it is a case of strengthening one another so it is a tad more complicated than that.

One of the things which I have always found weird unusual about bleach is that all types of abilities seem to have some degree of connection to one another. Fullbrings are made by people who put their memories into objects. This in turn is similar to what shinigami do with asauchi. If a hollow soul removes his mask (his heart) and turns into an arrancar then said souls takes the form of a zampakuto.... We don't have much details regarding quincy abilities although as I said there seem to be some vague common points between how juhabach can strengthen a soul via his ability and how asauchi can potentially help a shinigami. Perhaps it is because all souls have a common origin (although that can also be a moot point because human souls seem to have the ability to turn into any other kind of soul).

New Reply