Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eren's murderous tendencies

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eren's murderous tendencies

Eren is without a shred of a doubt creepy and certainly crazy. The manga has even capitalized on that a few times. I would go as far as arguing that the people to whom armin referred to as capable of changing the world and send their soldiers to their deaths are all creepy and crazy as balls. It takes a special kind of person to be able to look people in the eye, order them to die and then look at their families and tell them they died for a good cause after all.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The case of Eren though is he is reckless but also heroic, the truth is, if he was just a normal person his story would've ended long ago because his personality and how he acted during the first encounter with Titan's was just a testament to hare child-like he was in his ideal of the Titans.

His actions against the kidnappers don't hold over any thought over Eren as a person but rather it's his ideals of just not wanting to see someone close to him get hurt and it did come down to either kill or be killed. It's a traumatic experience and the death of his mother only made things worse.

His mother, killed by Titan's giving Eren an even higher degree of grudge against the Titan's and with the ability in hand he is willing to do whatever it takes to gain revenge, and that's where his flaw is. He fights towards revenge but he also wants to keep those close to him safe, but by fighting for revenge ones actions tend to cause bad things to happen to those around them.

This is a perfect case in point when they were trying to capture the female titan they in a sense relied on Eren to take her down or at least be the one to weaken and subdue her but because he wasn't effecient in using his skills at the times, a lot of causalities were suffered.

Then again it happened when he was captured, because they see him as the hope of humanity they went after him to retrieve him but they lost some good people because of Eren.

Then it's happening at this very moment, in hopes of overthrowing the government and using both Eren and Historia the name as "hostages" that were taken in, a few people were already killed in cold blood to thwart their plan.

Overall though, Eren's bloodlust is a manifestation of both the traumatic event he went through with Mikasa and the lost of his mother. He was already aware of that feeling of wanting someone to die, to kill them, to eradicate them to protect a person close to them and that inability to do that for his Mom did cause him to snap and it's a grudge he most likely will never get over but it will most likely continue to be his driving force because the more people that die at the hands of titans the stronger his bloodlust becomes because he just doesn't want anyone to die.

What's a scary thought now however is how is Eren going to react when he learns that humans are killing humans that some of the people on his side are already dead and the person whom he thought would be ok was also killed. (unless he alrdy knows her died but I forgot)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What Eren did to the kidnappers was both justified and creepy (admittedly, it's especially creepy since he seems less interested in defending mikasa than punishing her attackers). Sometimes you need to do terrible things to defend a cause, but you're still responsible for the damage you caused, no matter how necessary it was. Another way of stating the same ideology: violent behavior is always disturbing, but it can be put to good use. I mean, that's why Levi is a heroic soldier in one context and a dangerous criminal in another. I would say that the idea of abandoning your humanity for the greater good is probably the major theme of the series. The titan shifters' ability to literally become monsters is a pretty obvious metaphor for this.

Anyway I hope Eren's rage continues to be explored. (I'd really like to see a moment where his drive to punish titans makes him do something seriously damaging to humankind.)
    Last edited by PatternAgainstUser; July 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Anyway I hope Eren's rage continues to be explored.
    (I'd really like to see a moment where his drive to punish titans
    makes him do something seriously damaging to humankind.)
    That drives been dealt with when the found out that random humans
    like Connie's mom where transformed into titans...

Now he's after the shifters he allready promised to let
    R&B die the most excruciating death thus cutting of diplomacy...
    And he might not react kindly to his father either depending
    how he explains why he left his family at a corner of the walls
    when he knew about shifters.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I was the only one who thought that scene was strange. I liked it (and all of Mikasa's back story arc) but I have always wondered if, at some point, we will get some explanation for why Eren could calmly and easily murder multiple people. Like, I get that it was a stressful situation and sometimes there were bullies, but there is a huge difference between trying to save someone and saving someone in the manner he did. Calm, collected, planned, ruthless, no hesitation or fear. I would not think that was his first kill.
    I don't know if I am overthinking it OR if we will get some sort of explanation at some point that explores more of his childhood. Or maybe he is just a bit crazy.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2