Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tsubasa [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Hello everyone. Like the name of the topic states, I am looking for an artist.
    I have been working on this idea/story since 2010. I even tried to find an artist to draw it back then, but fortunately, I was not successful (because I didn't really know what I wanted to do with the project).

    Since then, I had enough time to flesh out the characters/story (even though the premise remained the same) and get a clearer idea of the direction for the project.
    This might be a long post, but I tried to cover most of the questions that you might have.


    Plot Summary: A strange dream of a girl named Caroline hiding a small casket in a stone wall and calling her name has been bothering Lily Hunt, now a college student, since she was 8. Lily goes on a study trip to Czech Republic with her two best friends, Adam Evans and Alyssa McKenzie, and her dreams start to evolve. Lily believes that she sees events that that took place in the past, in Prague, when witch-hunts were in full swing.
    The plot develops simultaneously in both the present and the past through Lily's dreams and visions and involves witchcraft, demons, mythical creatures, and secret societies. Eventually, Lily’s connection to all of this is also revealed.
    Genre: comedy, supernatural, fantasy, horror, romance, adventure
    Color/B&W: black and white (+ shading/screentones if possible).
    Inspired by: The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray (Chris Wooding, 2001/book), Silent Hill (games/soundtracks), The Skeleton Key (2005/movie), books about witch-hunts + tons of manga/anime.

    What this project WILL NOT be:
    A shounen. No sassy modern demons in fancy suits or teenagers jumping off buildings and punching baddies in the face. Also, no flashy weapons or highly impractical outfits. Supernatural things will be happening in this comic, but in a more traditional and eerie ritualistic way, which means there will be magic but no energy balls or anything of the sort.

    __________________________________________________________

    Q&A

    1. Is this a paid project?
    Yes and no. I will elaborate on that in the following questions, so please keep reading.

    2. How do you intend to pay for pages?
    I would prefer to start off on a non-paid basis, and develop the project into something that would eventually bring profit (this will make more sense once you check questions 4, 5, 6).
    If the artist absolutely insists on being paid from the get-go, that's understandable - paper/pencils/etc cost money, and drawing is hard work, so it's something that we could discuss as well. However, I won't be able to pay through the nose, so that would be more of a token fee until we get everything going.

    3. How long will the chapters be?
    30-45 pages depending on how much needs to be covered in a specific chapter.
    I haven't finished the script yet (I have about 2/3 of it done), but I suppose the story would wrap up within 8-10 chapters.

    4. What do you plan to do with the project?
    Promote & publish it online on social networks, forums, specialized comic websites, etc. Once a certain number of pages is reached (less than a full chapter), I’d like to open a website for the comic.


    5. Is that it?
    No. Once the first chapter is finished, I will order N copies of the comic from a printing house (the quantity depends on the popularity of the comic). Basically, everyone would be able to order a physical copy from the website, which could be advertised way before the first chapter is done. Printing and shipping will be handled by me.
    So, to be clear, it will start off as a webcomic. It will take a fair amount of time to finish drawing the first chapter and to put it out digitally (I have no plans to ask the artist to draw a chapter a month, that's crazy), so by the time it's done, enough people will know about the comic.
    Let's look at it as a webcomic that will be printed occasionally if there's demand.

    6. What will happen with the money made?
    I cannot predict the level of success of the comic; however, in any case, I would be absolutely fine with splitting the earnings 50/50 between myself and the artist.

    7. What do you need from the artist?
    * A few examples of their work if possible.
    * The ability to draw both eerie and funny.
    * Consistent style.

    Also, even though it eventually will turn into a somewhat commercial project, I am very passionate about the story and would appreciate if the artist felt interested in it too. I don’t want to end up getting a few character doodles and then never hearing from them again. I would like for it to be a collaboration between me and the artist, it would be nice to bounce ideas around and discuss things as well.
    If that makes the artist’s life easier, then I can do lettering myself.
    Currently there are no set deadlines, so we can discuss that late.

    8. Means of communication?
    Skype or email would be best.



    IF you are interested/have questions, feel free to PM me or reply to this topic.
    We can exchange Skype IDs or emails.


    UPDATE:

    If you ARE interested in the story/project, but feel uneasy about the terms (the topic of payment, especially), just PM me with what YOU would expect from this, and we could work something out.

    As I said, I cannot afford to pay a lot (and I imagine $60-200 per page would be the average price), but I could try to compensate you for your work to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by AshesBorn; June 05, 2014 at 05:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Israel
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    If you're so confident in the comic's potential for monetary success, I think you'd be far better off saving up some money and paying an artist for his share instead of just letting the artist hope that after all his work he might get paid one day. You'd get a more professional artist much more easily. In general, your idea seems more suited for western comics, (and you seem to specifically want to avoid resemblance to typical manga,) so paying a professional comic book artist in America would probably be your best bet to make this comic the best it can possibly be.

    There's some great artists here, but 1) they're not as good as what you'll get if you actually pay what you think the comic will be worth, and 2) I kinda feel bad for them stooping to spending a lot of time drawing something that may or may not ever make profit.
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; June 02, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

  3. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    If you're so confident in the comic's potential for monetary success, I think you'd be far better off saving up some money and paying an artist for his share instead of just letting the artist hope that after all his work he might get paid one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    There's some great artists here, but 1) they're not as good as what you'll get if you actually pay what you think the comic will be worth, and 2) I kinda feel bad for them stooping to spending a lot of time drawing something that may or may not ever make profit.
    What about that work getting published online/printed either way?
    I think my offer is slightly more thought out than most of the "Looking for an artist to draw my comic for free" topics, so dismissing it like that is rather unfair.
    This is not a business proposition, it's an offer to collaborate with the promise that the artist's work will be promoted, published online, and eventually printed.
    If I said I was going to pitch it to a publisher, that'd be a different story.
    If the artist absolutely insists on being paid from the get-go, that's understandable - paper/pencils/etc cost money, and drawing is hard work, so it's something that we could discuss as well. However, I won't be able to pay through the nose, so that would be more of a token fee until we get everything going.



    Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    In general, your idea seems more suited for western comics, (and you seem to specifically want to avoid resemblance to typical manga,) so paying a professional comic book artist in America would probably be your best bet to make this comic the best it can possibly be.
    That's not something I'm particularly interested in.
    Also, there's a lot of genres of manga that don't involve teenagers throwing fireballs at monsters and swinging huge magical axes, so I don't agree with you on that. I just wanted to be clear that just because the story involves magic and demons it doesn't automatically mean that there will be huge "humans vs demons" fights where the characters would bounce around while shooting a gun with one hand and swinging a sword in the other. What I was trying to say was that it's more mature than that, even though there will be goofy moments and exaggerated poses/facial expressions.
    Last edited by AshesBorn; June 04, 2014 at 06:24 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Israel
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Fair enough, I can see your perspective, it just came off the wrong way to me reading the first time, because I disagree with you on too many things. But I see you have good intentions. Good luck finding an artist.

  5. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    Fair enough, I can see your perspective, it just came off the wrong way to me reading the first time, because I disagree with you on too many things. But I see you have good intentions. Good luck finding an artist.
    I am really passionate about the story, and that's the main reason why I'm trying to find an artist to work with. Everything else is just extra. I believe it would be extremely unfair to ask someone to draw for you without laying your cards out and promising that their work will be seen and printed.
    I am not looking to make money. If you think about it, I will be investing into website hosting and printing (and handling a range of other related things) way before there's a chance to get any profit myself. That point is also worth taking into consideration.

    Thanks for wishing me luck.
    Last edited by AshesBorn; June 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Blade is right!! No pro-level artist is going to work for free no matter how good u make it sound ...i am a mangaka and i know for certain the only way your are going to get an artist is through compensation....your story sounds interesting and im sure with the right artist it can popular but comes off as arrogant to think an artist is going to do 30-45 pages a chapter and not at least be compensated...it makes u wonder if people really appreciated the time and effort that it takes an artist to make this happen...and im not gonna even touch on the 50/50 thing. i hope u dont take this the wrong way i sincerely hope u find an artist but this is just my advice....even if its just $1,$2,$5,$10 a page if cant afford that then i suggest u start learning how to draw yourself.
    Mugen

  7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  8. #7
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by mugenx View Post
    i hope u dont take this the wrong way i sincerely hope u find an artist but this is just my advice....even if its just $1,$2,$5,$10 a page if cant afford that then i suggest u start learning how to draw yourself.
    $10 a page? This I can afford... maybe even more.
    But I specifically said:

    Quote Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
    If the artist absolutely insists on being paid from the get-go, that's understandable - paper/pencils/etc cost money, and drawing is hard work, so it's something that we could discuss as well. However, I won't be able to pay through the nose, so that would be more of a token fee until we get everything going.
    What kind of selective reading?


    EDIT: Honestly, this is extremely bizarre when people try to tell me off when they didn't even pay attention to what I said.
    Last edited by AshesBorn; June 04, 2014 at 06:25 AM.

  9. #8
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Israel
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
    EDIT: Honestly, this is extremely bizarre when people try to tell me off when they didn't even pay attention to what I said.
    We did pay attention to what you said, you just added more and edited and presented your view differently with every new message you were faced.

    Also, saying you're willing to pay a "token fee" if an artist feels really bad working unpaid is very different to offering a paid amount straight up. If you're willing to pay $10 (or a bit more) then say right off the bat, "I will pay you $10 for every page, I'm aware of the fact that I'm asking you to work for less than half of minimum wage, but it's unfortunately all I can pay at this point in time," and then go on to explain about profit potential in the future. Don't say that you want an artist to work for free, then explain why it's okay because your work "might be" profitable in the future, and then when pressed say "well I guess I'm willing to pay a sort of token fee if you're absolutely insisting."

    The point is that as artists, as skilled workers who have drawn thousands and thousands of hours in our lives in order to get to the level that you'd probably be satisfied with, we feel unappreciated, so we're inclined to not want to work with you. If you didn't mention payment entirely and just said you wanted to do a fun project with a partner with no intention of profit, that would have been fine. The problem was that you clearly put a lot of time into how to monetize it, yet paying the artist isn't at all a priority for you, and the artist has this thing about them where without the artist's time effort and skill, the comic won't even exist.

    what I'm saying is that I worked my ass off in order to be good enough to draw manga, and I still work my ass off every time I draw a page. Someone wanting to make money off of those pages without paying me straight up? That's not going to work. That's all I'm saying, and most artists agree with me, that's why mugen posted what he did. I just gave you advice for what you should do if you actually want to make this project the best you can.

    Sorry we're coming off as aggressive toward you, I realize it was not your intention to disrespect artists, I'm just explaining to you how your message came off.
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; June 04, 2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: clarification

  10. #9
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    We did pay attention to what you said, you just added more and edited and presented your view differently with every new message you were faced.[/B]
    This is NOT entirely true.
    I edited the very first post to add the part about me willing to pay but not being able to pay a lot - that's accurate.
    I edited the other post where I first mentioned that because I noticed a spelling mistake and a missing comma, so let's not try to make it look as if I'm adding things after someone says something to me to present everything in a completely different light because that's not the type of person I am. Otherwise, the post mentioning that I am, in fact, willing to pay was there before mugenx posted trying to scold me for "refusing" to pay for artist's work.

    Quote Quote:
    what I'm saying is that I worked my ass off in order to be good enough to draw manga, and I still work my ass off every time I draw a page. Someone wanting to make money off of those pages without paying me straight up? That's not going to work. That's all I'm saying, and most artists agree with me, that's why mugen posted what he did. I just gave you advice for what you should do if you actually want to make this project the best you can.
    I understand what you're saying, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.
    My intention was for this to be a "fun project", but I noticed that usually artists don't want to get involved in projects with no real plan behind the entire thing. So, I thought that promoting the artist's work, then eventually printing, and selling it in its physical form would work as a way to go the extra mile for the artist and for the comic. I am not looking to make money, I already said that, so there's no ulterior motive to "con" someone. Doing my best to make sure that a lot of people actually read the comic is another thing, though. I'm not gonna argue and try to get a lucrative split because I just want to work on a story that I wrote, so for all I know, the artist could take most of the profit from selling the comic, this is not a priority to me.

    ---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

    All that said, I'd like to make this clear for everyone:

    If you ARE interested in the story/project, but feel uneasy about the terms (the topic of payment, especially), just PM me with what YOU would expect from this, and we could work something out.

    As I said, I cannot afford to pay a lot (and I imagine $60-200 per page would be the average price), but I could try to compensate you for your work to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by AshesBorn; June 04, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

  11. #10
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    My intention was for this to be a "fun project", but I noticed that usually artists don't want to get involved in projects with no real plan behind the entire thing. So, I thought that promoting the artist's work, then eventually printing, and selling it in its physical form would work as a way to go the extra mile for the artist and for the comic. I am not looking to make money, I already said that, so there's no ulterior motive to "con" someone. Doing my best to make sure that a lot of people actually read the comic is another thing, though. I'm not gonna argue and try to get a lucrative split because I just want to work on a story that I wrote, so for all I know, the artist could take most of the profit from selling the comic, this is not a priority to me.

    Im sorry if i offended in anyway with my post.. i'll be short with this...i was simply trying to give advice there was no ill intent behind it. You said u want this to be a "fun project", but 30-45 pages and 8 to 10 chapters is not a fun project...it is a job and like blade said artist have a thing about being unappreciated whether there is compensation involved or not....i am simply just giving advice to help u find an artist....and i'm sure u don't want just any artist...you want an artist to be able to bring you story to life visually

  12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #11
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshesBorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Estonia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [profit potential] Writer looking for an artist - mystery/fantasy/horror/adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by mugenx View Post
    My intention was for this to be a "fun project", but I noticed that usually artists don't want to get involved in projects with no real plan behind the entire thing. So, I thought that promoting the artist's work, then eventually printing, and selling it in its physical form would work as a way to go the extra mile for the artist and for the comic. I am not looking to make money, I already said that, so there's no ulterior motive to "con" someone. Doing my best to make sure that a lot of people actually read the comic is another thing, though. I'm not gonna argue and try to get a lucrative split because I just want to work on a story that I wrote, so for all I know, the artist could take most of the profit from selling the comic, this is not a priority to me.

    Im sorry if i offended in anyway with my post.. i'll be short with this...i was simply trying to give advice there was no ill intent behind it. You said u want this to be a "fun project", but 30-45 pages and 8 to 10 chapters is not a fun project...it is a job and like blade said artist have a thing about being unappreciated whether there is compensation involved or not....i am simply just giving advice to help u find an artist....and i'm sure u don't want just any artist...you want an artist to be able to bring you story to life visually
    I totally understand you point. There's no hard feelings.
    Sorry if what I said offended you.


    However, I believe that being a long-term project and being fun are not mutually exclusive. This is why I said that I'd appreciate if the artist was interested in the story, and didn't see it as just a bunch of things to draw for someone.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts