Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: What will happen to One Piece if Oda dies?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What will happen to One Piece if Oda dies?

I know this post is absolute taboo but it needs to be said.

749 chapters, 14 years later, we're only facing the first "strong" boss in the second half. The fishmen and Ceasar was far too easy for them so I'm not counting them, they're basically just a showcase/teaser of their new strength. Now they're going to face DD, one of the most prominent figure of the whole story.

There's also no gurantee that Oda will just let DD dies so easily, since his arc of influence is so far stretched into the new world. There's a fair chance that DD will be weaken after a long fight, but then somehow escape for the future. Also, if you think about the strawhats rule of no kill, flamingo might be the first villain who will actually be encountered again in the future, much like crocodile, but more troublesome.

With that being said, Oda spent 49 chapters, which equals to approximately a year on a build up to an arc. Which just goes to show how much Oda will try to stretch the second half of their adventure. So lets say there's an arc for all the major antagonist we know of right now, whose length are about the same as it is now,

Kizaru, (probably trying to take the SH down on an island, allied with other strong VA, hence a lot of pairups with each memeber of the SH fighting a VA and luffy probably fighting Kizaru and taking him down
    Akainu, (revenge for Kizaru,)
    BB (self explanatory)
    Big Mom (there could very much not be a fight at all, we're all thinking that she's related to lola and will probably be like "oh you saved my daughter life, here, let me help you in the future")
    Kaido (again, self explatory)

Then there's shanks. Whos basically like the guy who luffy has to surpass in order to become pirate king.

So thats 6 major arc as big as flamingo, if not bigger. Meaning that's another 6 years give or take.

that 6 years, not including all the smaller arc in between like fishman island and punk hazard.

So my question is, with Oda health in decline these past few years, multiple breaks, what happens if Oda works too hard and have to retire or say some unforseen accident like car accident or something. What will happen to One Piece? One piece has one of the biggest fan base in anything.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What will happen to One Piece if Oda dies?

Considering he only sleeps 3 hours a day, it's only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all we have to do is hope that he'll stay alive.
    Anyway One Piece is too big for the Editors to be left away.
    The hole scenario might be kept safe by JUMP in order to continue the saga if Oda came to die (with some films or a bunch of drawers).
    That's really not a thing we want, and that's taboo, but well we have to expect it. Eitherway we would be much more sadder if this filthy thing would come to happen.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone will take over. If we are lucky, it will be Oda's assistants. If not, imagine if Kubo started drawing One Piece. Our great-grandchildren will see it end.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda only had an infection around his tonsils that pooled up with pus and formed abscess'. His surgery is just to lance the abscess' to drain out the pus. From what I've read it's not a pleasant condition to have because it makes the back of your mouth swollen and red and painful and stops you from opening your mouth all the way and being able to speak properly, but it's also really common and as far as I can tell not fatal. I don't doubt Oda's been feeling really crappy but unless he has some other medical condition (I haven't exactly done in-depth research on his medical history or anything) he shouldn't be dying from it, touch wood. But if he does die, I read he's made a will for the ending of One Piece to be revealed to the public. I hope this doesn't happen. I'd rather Oda write out his plan for One Piece, like all the arcs and plotlines and everything, and give it to a ghost writer to finish. It wouldn't be the same obviously but it would be better than knowing the end result without seeing how it came about. I hope he gets better soon and takes it easy from now on. I'd rather read One Piece once a month or every 2 months or whatever than have no One Piece at all because he has to retire

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta42 View Post
    Someone will take over. If we are lucky, it will be Oda's assistants. If not, imagine if Kubo started drawing One Piece. Our great-grandchildren will see it end.
    The assistants are assistants for a reason. If they could produce a manga of their own they would've done so. I won't even talk about them continuing One Piece in Oda's stead. Only one of his assistants actually managed to produce a manga, and it failed. Sure, Oda himself began as an assistant, but that's a far cry from taking over One Piece at this stage.

The manga industry isn't the American comics industry. Someone can't just take over, especially when it comes to stories like One Piece. The only case I'm aware of is Shin Chan. After its author died the manga was taken over by his assistants for a while, who later began another Shin Chan manga. But Shin Chan is a simply gag series, hardly comparable to One Piece.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shojin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, this is the one thing that I would rather not think about. However, if that comes to pass, then One Piece would discontinue, at least that's what I think. I mean, One Piece is just too much of a major series that it's way too risky to continue without the man himself behind the pen.
    **THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT**
    Project
    and Thread (UPDATE 10/6/14)
    **THE SHIZURU KUWABARA: REIKIBUKI STYLE PROJECT**
    Go here (UPDATE 05/23/12)
    Robin: The Rokushiki Demon (first two pages are up!)

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a depressing topic.

I think if it happened One Piece would just go unfinished, though I guess someone could write up something about what the one piece truly is.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member milek's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange topic.

He wont die, if he know what is good for him he will do what doctor says.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milek View Post
    Strange topic.

He wont die, if he know what is good for him he will do what doctor says.
    Then he would have quit smoking (and drinking) a long time ago...

New Reply