Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: One Piece theory: Low gravitational pull

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece theory: Low gravitational pull

Hello everyone I am Ace here with you today. Now before I start with this theory, there are several things I need to cover up. First I am new to mangahelpers as I just had the idea of this theory and had to find a good site to publish it onto, and I have dealt with forums before in the past but the problem lies in the categories in which I place specific forums into correct or incorrect categories, but anyways. Lets get on with it.

So while I was in the bathroom I thought about One piece like I usually do, but this time I was thinking about how the One Piece world varied from our world: reality. Until, finally I came across something interesting: that the world One Piece has either, one, low gravitational push against the "earth" or world OR the world One Piece, two, has as many as an infinite amount of atmosphere volume/space. Here is why I believe this, first my first thought about this theory was Luffy's attacks. During the whole series of One Piece I've noticed that Luffy's attacks usually blow off the enemies quite far and make them fly like 100 yards (hyperbole) into the air. However I figured that wouldn't be enough to make this theory quite convincing, as we all know Luffy has incredible physical strength behind his attacks. So I came up with another evidence. Next, I pretty much compared One Piece world to our world and based on gravity and atmosphere, it is a fact that Gravity pushes only downwards against the Earth's core and what maintains the gravitational push on earth is the atmosphere. My second evidence of One Piece having a very low gravitational pull or having a large atmosphere still containing gravity except the gravity is stretched further because gravity must fill the whole entire atmosphere. Which brings me to my next point. When Red Haired Shanks and Whitebeard clashed on the Moby Dick (whitebeard's ship) the clouds and possibly the sky were split in half, because of two things, one both Shanks and Whitebeard put some kind of effort of strength into their clash, and second they both used Haki. However because there Haki was strong enough they were able to split the skies, now normally in reality that wouldn't be possible regardless of how much "power" of any sort is put in to it, but it would be possible if our atmosphere were to expand immensely, therefore making our gravitational push weaker. Which brings me to my third point, because the atmosphere at OP world is expanded to the extent of infinity, Many OP characters are able to "moonwalk" meaning they're able to walk in air, Now interesting enough Haki means willpower and since Moonwalk requires some sort of Haki "willpower" the name itself Willpower says it all, Will power meaning the human will but in reality it's nearly impossible to walk on air, escalating at the same time with just one's will right? Unless the atmosphere was infinite then it would seem possible or realistic. If you don't understand this example then here's a scenario. A man wants to fly off a building with nothing but his arms. Since gravity is pushing against the ground then the man will fall into the ground, but if the atmosphere were to expand immensely then the fall damage would reduce immensely because gravity isn't pushing due to the fact that gravity needs to fill the expanded atmosphere. My next evidence is Fishman Island. In our world it would be IMPOSSIBLE to actually have a city under sea especially if it's under 10,000 meters below sea level because gravity pushes down against the sea as well and the ground since it's attracted to the earth's core you could say. Therefore in reality even if we managed to get a city under 10,000 meters below sea level it would be crushed in less then a second, UNLESS the gravity's push was weakened, which can only happen if the atmosphere was expanded to the amount of infinity or a large sum of number. My next evidence is quite simple and the most "hit-run" of them all, the speed of light. Now it's gonna get a little complicated here so read carefully. Einstein's relative theory states that the speed of light is a vacuum and it relies heavily on time and that time is merely an illusion that creates speed, also that with this it also affects gravity. Gravity is said to falter the speed of light because the speed of light is estimated to go 7000+ miles per hour however with gravity it is able to reduce the speed of light to half of it's original speed. Which brings me to my evidence on why Kizaru isn't able to use his Devil fruit power to the extent of "speed of light" when actually he's literally light, now remember that space has gravity of 0 or 1 I don't remember, which is why things tend to go slow or float. now according to my calculations I believe Kizaru isn't fully light as light is merely an energy while Kizaru when using his DF he intends to stop and attack others after he goes at the speed of light, therefore Kizaru is only half light so semi-light, which makes his speed decreased by half of what light can do (29,90700+ Km) which gets you approximately 1495053 km/sec, but since according to Einstein's relativity theory the presence of gravity affects the speed of light by half so divide what we got by half and we get 747675 km/sec, and then because Kizaru does not go at the speed of light for fun he does it to reach his enemies and always stops immediately after reaching them so he stops intentionally which light does not do, therefore divide what we have by 100,000 km and therefore getting about 7.4 km/sec and to give you a conclusion Kizaru's DF can only go about 4 miles per second if the DF is at it's prime and if he tries, with all the gravity and speed of light etc in the way. However there are more evidence to show that in OP world, the atmosphere is immense, but that'll take the wall of China out of business

TL;DR? Well here's a summary (without great detail)
    Statement/theory: In One Piece world the gravitational push is weak therefore making the atmosphere immense in volume wise.

Evidence:
    1. Luffy's attack being able to blast enemies 100 yards up int he air (exaggeration)

2. Shanks and Whitebeard's clash on Moby Dick, which made the skies into half

3. Haki is able to be used such as: moonwalk, and King's haki

4. Why Kizaru does cannot go at the actual speed of light

5.How the Fishman Island is able to maintain itself under sea

for more details please read my long passage

This is my first time making a theory forum, so I'll try and take criticism well.

Just my thought, as I just rattled everything out from my mind onto this writing

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by AceDetective; June 11, 2014 at 12:01 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece theory: Low gravitational pull

Rename the thread to "Fitting OP world into rules of Physics" or something on those lines and I can see a very creative thread.

I disagree with the comments on the post, this is a fictional world but thinking of OP as a different planet than earth would mean you can possibly justify some of the things in the arc... this would be similar to sci fi fans trying to explain why 42 is the answer to everything...

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

My thoughts:

OP planet core isn't spherical, its irregularly shaped which also explains the magnetic fields on different islands.
    The core could be shaped in a way where the liquid iron inside is flowing in equal and opposite forces inside creating techtonic plates to collide with each other in the past thereby creating the Red Line, like the Himalayas in our world.

The lower gravity is a theory (albeit discredited often ) that explains the large sizes of the dinosaurs. It would also explain stuff in OP world like Giants of Elbalf, Oz, the island without gravity (scratchman apoo's first island in the new world) etc.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    During the whole series of One Piece I've noticed that Luffy's attacks usually blow off the enemies quite far and make them fly like 100 yards (hyperbole) into the air.
    I'd say some of them much further than 100 yards but that was earlier like Alvida and Buggy.

Quote Quote:
    it is a fact that Gravity pushes only downwards against the Earth's core and what maintains the gravitational push on earth is the atmosphere
    No, this is completely wrong.

Quote Quote:
    [splitting the sky] would be possible if our atmosphere were to expand immensely, therefore making our gravitational push weaker.
    Why would that make it possible?

Quote Quote:
    since Moonwalk requires some sort of Haki
    No it doesn't.

Quote Quote:
    A man wants to fly off a building with nothing but his arms. Since gravity is pushing against the ground then the man will fall into the ground, but if the atmosphere were to expand immensely then the fall damage would reduce immensely because gravity isn't pushing due to the fact that gravity needs to fill the expanded atmosphere.
    That makes no sense. Gravity doesn't "fill" anything.

Quote Quote:
    Therefore in reality even if we managed to get a city under 10,000 meters below sea level it would be crushed in less then a second, UNLESS the gravity's push was weakened,
    Sure, I'm with you

Quote Quote:
    which can only happen if the atmosphere was expanded to the amount of infinity
    Now you lost me.

Quote Quote:
    Einstein's relative theory states that the speed of light is a vacuum and it relies heavily on time and that time is merely an illusion that creates speed, also that with this it also affects gravity.
    This is gibberish.

Quote Quote:
    Gravity is said to falter the speed of light because the speed of light is estimated to go 7000+ miles per hour however with gravity it is able to reduce the speed of light to half of it's original speed.
    No.

Quote Quote:
    now remember that space has gravity of 0 or 1
    Wat?

Quote Quote:
    give you a conclusion Kizaru's DF can only go about 4 miles per second if the DF is at it's prime and if he tries, with all the gravity and speed of light etc in the way.
    How is that evidence?

All of your science about gravity, atmosphere, and light is completely wrong. The closest to making sense is the high water pressure at Fishman Island (almost the same depth as the Marianas Trench on Earth) but I think it's just as easy to believe Oda plays fast and loose with pressure as it is that he has a low-gravity world.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

ITT: People who haven't even got a basic grasp of Physics. Excluding Nixon here. I'm sorry for being Off-Topic like this, but reading this makes me doubt the value of modern education if the concept of something as simple as gravity (relatively speaking [no pun intended]) is that crudely misunderstood. Also: It is a Manga, for darns sake, can't we just accept the fact that Oda is taking creative liberties here and there in order to have some cool effects? Isn't this what fiction is all about? If I wanted a correct representation of gravity in a Comic Book I'd make my own.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Kaishaku

LOL, Ok so basically you're telling me that what I stated in this thread is inaccurate... Lol if so then sorry ma'am YOU don't have basic grasp of physics. In fact not to be prejudice or anything but ma'am I would say that you shouldn't judge a DIFFERENT COUNTRY like America when you, yourself live in a ANOTHER COUNTRY. My third point, Do you honestly think that I care if this is manga or Oda just being creative and you have the right to say Manga makes no sense? Because that's what you're saying , another thing, it's NOT a fact that Oda homself is just taking the liberty here and there, if so give me a quote from Oda instead of giving me bs lies and making yourself sound cool by saying "in fact". In any case this is a FICTION like you have said, kewl ever heard of fan-fictions, kewl. gg

TL;DR, Summary, STFU. gg

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

@Kaishaku

LOL, Ok so basically you're telling me that what I stated in this thread is inaccurate... Lol if so then sorry ma'am YOU don't have basic grasp of physics. In fact not to be prejudice or anything but ma'am I would say that you shouldn't judge a DIFFERENT COUNTRY like America when you, yourself live in a ANOTHER COUNTRY. My third point, Do you honestly think that I care if this is manga or Oda just being creative and you have the right to say Manga makes no sense? Because that's what you're saying , another thing, it's NOT a fact that Oda homself is just taking the liberty here and there, if so give me a quote from Oda instead of giving me bs lies and making yourself sound cool by saying "in fact". In any case this is a FICTION like you have said, kewl ever heard of fan-fictions, kewl. gg

TL;DR, Summary, STFU. gg
    Very butthurt

Quote Quote:
    what maintains the gravitational push on earth is the atmosphere
    This. You're stating the exact opposite of reality. With radial symmetry, which any atmosphere undoubtedly has, Gauss's law (google what you need here) implies that gravitational push only depends on what's inside Earth, NOT outside. What you're talking about is probably atmospheric pressure, and that's not what holds us down.

Instead of counterargumenting with NO U and country crap, try telling me why this, or anything Nixon wrote, is incorrect in your opinion. Preferrably with actual physics references.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, Ok so basically you're telling me that what I stated in this thread is inaccurate... Lol if so then sorry ma'am YOU don't have basic grasp of physics. In fact not to be prejudice or anything but ma'am I would say that you shouldn't judge a DIFFERENT COUNTRY like America when you, yourself live in a ANOTHER COUNTRY.
    Three things.
    1) He's from Germany, you know, the same country as that Einstein guy whose work you don't understand.
    2) Physics doesn't care what country you're from. I promise that gravity works the same way in America that it does in Germany.
    3) I am from America, and I again inform you that your knowledge of physics is crazy wrong. Not sort of wrong, or missing some nuance, but fundamentally and radically wrong about virtually everything. So wrong that I cannot correct you. You are better off forgetting everything you know about physics and starting over.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Internet. You never fail to amaze me.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply