Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Which characters have reached their potential?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Which characters have reached their potential?

Disclaimer: The thread title might be a little misleading, but I couldn't think of a better one, let alone one that encompasses everything I want to talk about. Also, this first post is going to be fairly long, but I hope you'll stay with me until the end.

So, with that out of the way, some of you might remember that I brought up a couple points I I found worth discussing in the chapter thread about a week or so ago, one of them being this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    3) Who is going to take the open spots in the 1st String?
    Unfortunately this wasn't talked about as much as I had hoped, but I had something more elaborate in mind when asking that question anyway, namely something Sai said to me shortly after the last chapter was released:

Quote Quote:
    Sai: Also I have a theory that the reason Atobe and Niou won is so konomi can make them disappear for awhile
    Kaoz: well, Niou is out either way, but Atobe maybe
    [...]
    Kaoz: anyway, is there anything else to your theory?
    Sai: He's getting g rid of characters he doesn't want to write anymore
    Kaoz: lol
    Kaoz: so if Atobe's not the main character any more, who is it going to be instead?
    [...]
    Sai: Anyhow, I think this arc will end in the next few chapters. And a lot of the characters Konomi doesn't know what to do with anymore will be gone for awhile. Like Atobe, most of the 11-20s msers etc
    Kaoz: idk he'll have to at least fill the first string completely
    Kaoz: there are several open spots at this point
    Sai: True...
    Sai: But overall I really have no clue what's gonna happen from here
    Sai: And thats kinda nice since it makes me want to keep reading
    Now, this might sound crazy at first, but think about it. The MSers are still the main focus of this manga, but the only one who is actually in the top 10 at the moment is Atobe (and as it stands that's going not to change any time soon). Not only that, but the 11-20 isn't exactly filled with the MSers you would expect there - we don't have Shiraishi and Fuji, but Kenya and Momoshiro for instance. Not to mention, Ryoma is about to leave the camp. Same with Yukimura.

And at this point, I could absolutely see Konomi not really knowing what to do with Atobe any more - the guy has shown some amazing evolution during the time he's been in the camp, and has mastered both of his original skills (Insight and the two part smash). Same with Momoshiro who can now hit BJK, and Kawamura who's capable of using the 108th Hadokyuu. At this point, there's just not much room for growth for these characters.

Then you have Sanada for instance, someone who we already know can develop his Kokushoku no Aura further and so far is not part of the team. Or take WoK, their last match ended with a teaser on a new ability, but we haven't actually seen it yet, nor do we even know if they've already mastered it.

So taking those kind of factors into consideration, I think it's not unlikely that we'll go back and focus some more on the characters that won't be part of the traveling team, and then have a proper challenge after the next batch of (mostly off-screen) international matches.

A few questions for you, now that you've made it to the end of this theory:
    (1) Would you like this kind of development? Do you think it's likely? Please try to give some reasons for the second part.
    (2) Assuming this is going to happen (purely theoretically), which characters do you think will make the 1st String this time around, and which characters do you think Konomi will focus on in the camp?

Spoiler: My predictions show

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which characters have reached their potential?

I honestly wouldn't mind if Konomi was putting the entire 1st String on a bus with this arc and focused on the 2nd Stringers in the next. Something like having the 2nd Stringers compete with outsiders or something to see them develop until they can earn their spots in the 1st String. I haven't read much, but the author of Captain Tsubasa is not only good with tournament arcs, but with league dynamics too. Only time will tell if Konomi is just as good.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna do a bigger reply in some days, but the first that came into my mind: Do you really think that Oni and Irie will be ok joining a 1st String leaded by Byoudouin, and leaving Tokugawa in the camp (unlike what they did before, staying to make the camp stronger)?

Also yes, I think I was the one that said the Ryoga thing. And I'm pretty sure the Tohno - Kimijima thing too, I didn't know anyone agreed with me with that one lmao.

Spoiler show

I wouldn't really call it a ¨general consensus¨. I'm pretty sure that, for example, Airgrimes doesn't agree with it, lol.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind if Konomi was putting the entire 1st String on a bus with this arc and focused on the 2nd Stringers in the next. Something like having the 2nd Stringers compete with outsiders or something to see them develop until they can earn their spots in the 1st String.
    Do you mean outsiders from other nations? I was more thinking along the lines of focusing on the court system again, just limiting it to the top two or so this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Gonna do a bigger reply in some days, but the first that came into my mind: Do you really think that Oni and Irie will be ok joining a 1st String leaded by Byoudouin, and leaving Tokugawa in the camp (unlike what they did before, staying to make the camp stronger)?
    Yeah, simply because the real reason why they stayed behind was to strengthen Tokugawa specifically. Like, I'm not sure what else they would teach him, he's probably stronger than them by now and he was on par with Byoudouin too. Of course Tokugawa might still win, just switch him to No. 1 and Irie to No. 3 then, the rest of my list would basically stay the same.

Also yes, I think I was the one that said the Ryoga thing. And I'm pretty sure the Tohno - Kimijima thing too, I didn't know anyone agreed with me with that one lmao.
    Oh, really? I thought I had seen it from a lot of people, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean outsiders from other nations? I was more thinking along the lines of focusing on the court system again, just limiting it to the top two or so this time.
    Outsiders, other clubs, etc. I'm tired of the U-17 setting.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind if Konomi was putting the entire 1st String on a bus with this arc and focused on the 2nd Stringers in the next. Something like having the 2nd Stringers compete with outsiders or something to see them develop until they can earn their spots in the 1st String..
    That should happen since so many of the 2nd stringers are forgotten. This will give them the time to shine. I guess its Konomi's fault for introducing so many characters then not caring about them now.

@ Kaoz: I do hope Konomi shows more high schoolers from court 1. He's shown that court 2 and 4 are fodder. But then if he introduces more court 1 members, the MSs will be forgotten still.
    I think Tolugawa needs to learn to become stronger on his own now. He's capable of doing so.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said yesterday... I'll do a bigger reply later, not yet

Yeah, simply because the real reason why they stayed behind was to strengthen Tokugawa specifically. Like, I'm not sure what else they would teach him, he's probably stronger than them by now and he was on par with Byoudouin too. Of course Tokugawa might still win, just switch him to No. 1 and Irie to No. 3 then, the rest of my list would basically stay the same.
    I just don't see them ¨siding¨ with the enemy, and I thought they stayed to make the whole camp better, not just Tokugawa. Imo the latter will win this match anyway

Spoiler: Random and crazy crap I came up with show

Also, supporting Jirou's case, let's remember that Konomi wanted to show he was ¨still¨ Hyotei's no.2 making him defeat Kabaji. Also, he had his own Pair Puri with Marui

Spoiler show

From that Pair Puri, I found this:
    Spoiler show

I dunno, it's something.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Overall, I'd say that I like this theory tbh... and that in 3 weeks we'll see how close it was to Konomi's plan.

For the moment, I want to ask (I've done this before but I don't remember, sorry), is it known when the 1st String is leaving?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

although, Yuushi and Shishido had one too and I don't see them being relevant at all. Konomi hates Hyotei doesn't he?
    Well, Kenya got a match (kind of), so I think there's a possibility for Yuushi to get one too. I actually considered listing him and a few others, but couldn't really think of anything to support their inclusion.

For the moment, I want to ask (I've done this before but I don't remember, sorry), is it known when the 1st String is leaving?
    It is not.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Hardy: Byodoin could easily take out anyone from the 1st stringer if he loses his badge. He could take out Tanegashima since his IDS tennis can't be stopped by HDN.
    The character Konomi likes from Hyotei is obviously Atobe...probably for the fangirls.

Even if Jiroh is stated to be No. 2, he's forgotten. I don't think he'd have another serious match. When was the last time he was in the manga?

New Reply