Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poor match point tactics/behavior

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor match point tactics/behavior

I've noticed there's a trend of people acting in a way that seems to make no sense regarding match points. Of course, any conversation on this topic has to start with Hirakoba "I use 100% of my remaining power while serving on triple match point and if this doesn't work we're totally doomed", but there's also more than that. Here are some more weird behaviors regarding match point:

Fuji versus Kirihara - After Kirihara used Muga, Kirihara copied Ka and it sure looked like Fuji cannot return it, so Sanada was saying it's up to Kirihara to win this for the team. However, that was Fuji's match point as we later found out. So, even if Fuji had no answer for Ka, it'd take 3 more points before Kirihara even wins that game, and that'd only make the score 6-6 and go into tiebreaker. To make things more bizarre still, Sanada seems to be well aware of the limtation of Muga (e.g. Kirihara can copy Ka but isn't strong enough to use it), so that seems awfully confident to be declaring victory on the opponent's match point.

Sanada versus Ryoma - In Ryoma's match point, Sanada lobbed the ball over and declared it's all over, which Ryoma used Cool Drive to win. But even if Ryoma didn't use Cool Drive, it'd still only be deuce, and again that wasn't a tiebreaker so it'd only be 6-6 at most. Yes Ryoma was running low on energy, but that seems awfully early to declare victory.

Niou + Atobe versus Mouri + Ochi - On Atobe/Niou's match point, Mouri dislocated his shoulder to return AK, which Niou hit back. From the look it seems like he's pretty confident about this game had Niou failed to return that shot, but it'd only be tie. We know for some inexplicable reason Atobe was doing fine playing 1on2, so it seems like Ochi will just lose later on even if they tied the score.

In fact, I'd say in all these cases, it seems like people involved are confused as to whose match point it is.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor match point tactics/behavior

Konomi doesn't know how the game is played, as we've seen countless times. He assumes the readers don't neither.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think people notice these things. They just want a good story, completely ignoring plot holes. Even writers don't know they're making so many plotholes because of so many inconsistencies.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    I don't think people notice these things. They just want a good story, completely ignoring plot holes. Even writers don't know they're making so many plotholes because of so many inconsistencies.
    I remember there was a scene where Krauser did his Southern Cross on Nakagauchi and started walking off thinking he won, but Nakagauchi got back down and said in tennis there is no come-back-from-behind home run, but I think players in POT actually think like that. Apparently scoring a point in a decisive way on someone else's match point means you win the game!

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha I've noticed that too.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I remember there was a scene where Krauser did his Southern Cross on Nakagauchi and started walking off thinking he won, but Nakagauchi got back down and said in tennis there is no come-back-from-behind home run, but I think players in POT actually think like that. Apparently scoring a point in a decisive way on someone else's match point means you win the game!
    I think it's the "tide" of the game that those points effect. This is made the most clear during Marui/Bunta vs Kaidoh/Momoshiro. They label the point something along the line of "the point that if opponent get the tide of the match would turn". But well, it is pretty much never touch on again.

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/prince...is/c201/4.html
    http://www.mangahere.co/manga/prince...is/c201/8.html
    Last edited by -Ken-; June 14, 2014 at 03:08 AM.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

^ If I understood you correctly, the same happens with Fuji vs Shiraishi and Momo vs Yuushi
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    I know it's tough on you jose...imagine me
    fapfapfap

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, I forgot about those match. Thanks.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

In Mouri's case, it's possible that his choice made sense since we don't know the exact score at that time. If it was like this:

Spoiler show

Ochi/Mouri would've taken it. Of course this depends on Niou being unable to serve or receive at this point in time, which is something we still haven't really figured out yet.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While it's true people randomly score the next 29 points in a row after glowing with strange auras despite being down 5-0 40-0, in theory the characters themselves aren't supposed to be aware of these things.

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they aren't suppose to, but as you may have notice, PoT is pretty far from a natural tennis. So some people might be able to notice these kind of things. And look at it, even people like Jackal and Bunta know these things. So people from the top like Sanada probably can be capable of knowing these things too, as shown in the event you've mention yourself.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, it's not THAT unbelievable I think. I'd say on a very basic level, real life tennis players (/sportsmen in general) are aware of these turning points too, e.g. if both players comfortably kept their service games and then one of them gets a break point at 30-40, whether they make that point or not is a pretty big deal. Likewise, if you can defend against a double or triple match point you get some momentum from it. Of course since this is fictional, characters are aware of this to a much greater degree than anyone would ever be in real life, and it might also be used to build tension or convey information to the reader that would be lost otherwise.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    We have a Manga/Anime show once-a-week that airs in EU called "imagine-nation" which explains genres and all kinda things each week.
    They did Sports mangas one week and they basically said, the fans really just want to learn the basics of a Sport but more importantly want to see the protagonists overcome great obstacles.
    PoT does that unbelievably literally I guess. Merely the basics of the rules are followed in the series and I mean "merely", for instance people on here have noted several "How can the score be at _ _, if it's ______'s serve" moments and also note Ohmagari holding 2 rackets, Fuji's 5thCounter etc.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL There you go :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    We have a Manga/Anime show once-a-week that airs in EU called "imagine-nation" which explains genres and all kinda things each week.
    They did Sports mangas one week and they basically said, the fans really just want to learn the basics of a Sport but more importantly want to see the protagonists overcome great obstacles.
    PoT does that unbelievably literally I guess. Merely the basics of the rules are followed in the series and I mean "merely", for instance people on here have noted several "How can the score be at _ _, if it's ______'s serve" moments and also note Ohmagari holding 2 rackets, Fuji's 5thCounter etc.
    Exactly. [N]PoT isn't a manga about tennis, it's a manga about battling/fighting via tennis. It's the type of manga where you don't care much for story or character development; you just want to see which guy's god mode is stronger than the other guy's god mode.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; June 25, 2014 at 02:40 AM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast