Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Translating a conversation about virginity

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Translating a conversation about virginity

I have a bit of an issue with the mangaka's (or rather the character's) choice of words when he describes someone losing their virginity and I'm trying to translate it without it sound cringe-worthy.

From 純真だと思ってて
    Spoiler: IMG show

This is what I have at the moment...

T: I thought you were pure. But then being fifteen means your bang in the middle of puberty. // Staying pure just isn't realistic. <---- {my main issue is "あっと言う間に おごれちゃうんだから" so I've changed the meaning a bit...}

S: Is it wrong to be dirty? {Cringe..."dirty"..unclean... argh}
    S: Is it wrong to be fifteen?

Yep... so I've euphemised it quite a bit. My question is that is there any other way to phrase all of the above?

Thanks you~ (sorry the contents weren't as racey as the title suggested! XD}

Edit: Also would (fellow translators) you prefer to see the original meaning kept?
    Last edited by mikecheesewalker; June 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added another question (by mikecheesewalker) / added spoiler tags (mikkih)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Translating a conversation about virginity

Ello,

First of all, probably a typo on your part but just for the sake of completion:

Quote Originally Posted by mikecheesewalker View Post
    <---- {my main issue is "あっと言う間に ごれちゃうんだから" so I've changed...
    ごれ ⇒ ごれ

あっと言う間に means something along the lines of "in no time" or "before you know it," so あっと言う間に 汚れちゃうんだから is literally saying "you'll be 'dirtied' before you know it."

As for "dirty," have you considered "unchaste" or "tainted?" These would be my top alternatives. Others include "sullied," "defiled," "corrupted" etc, although some of these may have changed the meaning/feel a bit.

An example could be:
    あっと言う間に汚れちゃうんだから = You'll lose your chastity before you know it
    汚れてちゃだめですか? = Is it wrong to be unchaste?

*Strictly not an 'accurate' translation, but it sounds more proper than my next example, if that is what you're looking for.*

One thing to note though (you probably realise this already,) you might want to use the same term in both instances, since Black-hair is more or less quoting the exact term Glasses is uses. So consider the following option:

あっと言う間に汚れちゃうんだから = You'll be tainted in no time
    汚れてちゃだめですか? = Is it wrong to be tainted?

That said, not sure if "tainted" sounds cringey to you either

In reply to your last query, I think in this particular scene, the accuracy of your translation is important in retaining the feel of the original dialogues, so I would try my best to keep the original meaning.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post

あっと言う間に汚れちゃうんだから = You'll be tainted in no time
    汚れてちゃだめですか? = Is it wrong to be tainted?

That said, not sure if "tainted" sounds cringey to you either

In reply to your last query, I think in this particular scene, the accuracy of your translation is important in retaining the feel of the original dialogues, so I would try my best to keep the original meaning.

Yep, I definitely want to retain the meaning of the original. I was just thinking "God, he's being rather stiff about it...". I guess it will be a choice between dirty or tainted, though tainted is more associated with phrases like "tained by evil" and the like...(imo).

In your opinion, would you say that glasses-eye is deliberately using 汚れ? (English is my first language and I can't say I've read enough manga to judge the nuances of words >_<;; Glasses guy's choice of words just seemed a bit antiquated and stiff to me...)

& yes lol it was a typo *hides*.

Thank you again!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

In your opinion, would you say that glasses-eye is deliberately using 汚れ? (English is my first language and I can't say I've read enough manga to judge the nuances of words >_<;; Glasses guy's choice of words just seemed a bit antiquated and stiff to me...)

It could be just me, but I think when Glasses first says it, he means it in the sense of "corruption" ("You'll be corrupted in no time.") Not to mention "dirtied" doesn't exactly make sense/flow so well in English.

Again, it's pretty subjective and I'm judging from various things and experience in such stories/dialogues. Sadly, my vocab is pretty limited, so I'd be enlightened if someone else could shed some light on this.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I definitely want to retain the meaning of the original.
    I agree, it's always good to keep the original meanings as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecheesewalker
    I was just thinking "God, he's being rather stiff about it...". I guess it will be a choice between dirty or tainted, though tainted is more associated with phrases like "tained by evil" and the like...(imo).
    The word "dirty" sounds a bit strong and also has a little different connotation. Here, 汚れ is perhaps closer to "impure" than "dirty." Both "unchaste" or "tainted" that Utsu suggested sound good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecheesewalker
    Yes, just like Utsu said, the guy (15 yr old) is using the same word (汚れ) like this example: A: "You are so mean." B: "Is it bad to be mean?" B uses the word "mean" because A mentioned it. I think this type of conversation is quite common.
    Last edited by mikkih; June 14, 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: (15 yr old)

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Went with "you'll be tainted in no time" / "is it wrong to be tainted?"

Thank you!

New Reply