Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What got you into PoT?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What got you into PoT?

I read the manga and liked it. Watched the anime. Was so and so. Manga for NPoT was better but storyline for PoT was better.

Konomi's art has certainly improved as the years went on.

What about everyone else?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ganonslayer101's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What got you into PoT?

Watching the Anime on Toonami got me into the series and eventually I saw the Manga and wanted to read it for Nostalgia sake

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrote this somewhere else but I have no idea where...

Like 8 years ago or more I was watching an anime tv channel in my aunt's place and in the breaks it always had the same PoT commercial (it was the scene where the GP learns the Australian Formation). I like sports so it gained my attention (that, and Kikumaru's weird voice for some reason... the latin dub is pretty similar tbh). Years later I watched the anime (just after Googling about the series and finding out that the weirdo with the annoying voice had the same birthday as me), and then eventually read the manga (like 2 years ago or so).

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

In Europe most post-2003 anime's don't even reach TV in all honesty.

I saw a Prince of Tennis volume at a local library once. It was the volume that had a bit of Fuji VS Kirihara and Sanada VS Ryoma in it so it was during the Kanto final.
    They had the next volume which I flicked through so I decided to watch it since this was like 8years ago where I had zero desire to read Sports Mangas.
    I watched the anime up until Seigaku VS Hyotei and got kinda bored of the series.

Some years later I saw the trailer for the Nationals OVA which is one of the best anime series trailers I've ever seen, and accidentally got addicted to PoT.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched the anime on youtube (not sure how I found it though), then read the manga a bit later. I don't think I really got into the series until stumbling across this forum and playing in the first fan league though.
    Last edited by Kaoz; June 23, 2014 at 01:50 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What I like most about the story is there are barely any villains, just really good tennis players who the characters want to overcome. I don't consider Byodoin a villain. He is an ass, but he is the one person Tokugawa wishes to overcome. And then many other characters will want to overcome Tokugawa.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I read when I think Prince of Tennis is either in its Natonal final or finish. It's a famous series and I buy volume 1-40ish all at once at a book fair.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    What I like most about the story is there are barely any villains, just really good tennis players who the characters want to overcome. I don't consider Byodoin a villain. He is an ass, but he is the one person Tokugawa wishes to overcome. And then many other characters will want to overcome Tokugawa.
    I think Konomi is able to portray rival characters as genuine Major Antagonists better than anyone.

Players like Tohno/Byoudouin really do come off as evil villains when in actual fact, they're just some High School kids who happen to be extremely talented at Tennis.
    Like, outside of the Tennis World, a trained army soldier in Ryoma's world probably thinks nothing of these school kids.
    I can only assume Byoudin/Oni/Ryoga aren't such a big deal when they are their schools in classrooms with a textbook in front of them without any tennis equipment around them.

Another thing Konomi is talented at is transferring the villain role between characters.
    Kirihara was the villain then when he met Krauser he became the victim then Kirihara became the villain again and then he became victim again against Matsudaira/Miyako.
    Krauser went from villain to victim and Oni went from villain to Hero lol.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Another thing Konomi is talented at is transferring the villain role between characters.
    Kirihara was the villain then when he met Krauser he became the victim then Kirihara became the villain again and then he became victim again against Matsudaira/Miyako.
    Krauser went from villain to victim and Oni went from villain to Hero lol.
    Hahahaha Tohno and Byodoin aren't villains. Sure they play violent tennis but that's they're style. But I'm, like you said, sure they're not like that if in school. Or infront of relatives.

So all in all, there aren't really villains :P

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Friss's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I had watched a few episodes on Toonami in english and then one day I remembered it and looked into it and found out the Japanese version that was much longer. So I went and downloaded all the episodes (it was after the series had ended) and watched them all and then I read the manga because why not. Then not much later SPoT was released and I found JAC which then transitioned over to here.

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    Hahahaha Tohno and Byodoin aren't villains. Sure they play violent tennis but that's they're style. But I'm, like you said, sure they're not like that if in school. Or infront of relatives.

So all in all, there aren't really villains :P
    The thing about those two is that they both are violent even outside their tennis match, such as when Tohno shot a ball at the loser and Byoudonin shot a ball at Ryoma for no reason.

That's not really the case in PoT. Even violent people like Kirihara or Krauser doesn't do that outside their match.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they had a dumb reason for that. Tohno cared about his badge more than anything and did anything to protect it. If he sees another give their badge away willingly, he will hit them. He sees it as a disgrace.

Byodoin, on the other hand, wanted to teach Ryoma a lesson for standing up to him earlier. He was just showing who's boss. Its mean but a lot of people do this. Dumb reasons.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't resist to log and answer this.

Tenimyu (Musical The Prince of Tennis) got me into The Prince of Tennis.
    I was already getting crazy about Burimyu (Rock Musical Bleach) and there was this joke in the backstage videos with the actors that played Hitsugaya and Gin, the others called them the Golden Pair. Months later i discovered that it was a reference to their roles in Tenimyu. I checked some videos on youtube and decided to read the manga before starting to watch the musicals.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    The thing about those two is that they both are violent even outside their tennis match, such as when Tohno shot a ball at the loser and Byoudonin shot a ball at Ryoma for no reason.

That's not really the case in PoT. Even violent people like Kirihara or Krauser doesn't do that outside their match.
    Akutsu did violent things off the court. He actually was the first to get violent and attempt to physically hurt Ohmagari in their small scuffle. Sanada slapped people and simply claimed he was doing it for the honor of Rikkai.
    There are other examples but I think violence isn't anything too new in PoT. I kinda think it's even worse to use Tennis which is supposed to be something you love, as a means to deal out career endangering injuries to your opponent who also shares the same love for tennis that you have.

Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Akutsu did violent things off the court. He actually was the first to get violent and attempt to physically hurt Ohmagari in their small scuffle. Sanada slapped people and simply claimed he was doing it for the honor of Rikkai.
    There are other examples but I think violence isn't anything too new in PoT. I kinda think it's even worse to use Tennis which is supposed to be something you love, as a means to deal out career endangering injuries to your opponent who also shares the same love for tennis that you have.
    Ah yes, I forgot about Akutsu. Yes, he's also one of the bad guys. Sanada do it for discipline. It's very understandable from my point of view. In Thailand there's sometimes similar kind of discipline at school was well. It's nothing unusual.

The injury in the match are more of the pride thing for me. I already go over so many times so I won't go over it again.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast