Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Why all female characters have the same backstory?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Why all female characters have the same backstory?

Why all main female characters have the same backstory?
    For exemple:

Nami: crybaby.... mom died when she was young...antagonists of her story arc put in danger her birthplace....mom killed by one of the antagonist of the arc (Arlong).

Vivi: crybaby.... mom died when she was young...antagonists of her story arc put in danger her birthplace....

Robin: crybaby.... mom died when she was young...antagonists of her story arc put in danger her birthplace....mom killed by one of the antagonist of the arc (CP).

Shiraoshi: crybaby.... mom died when she was young...antagonists of her story arc put in danger her birthplace....mom killed by one of the antagonist of the arc (Hody jones).

And now:

Rebecca: crybaby.... mom died when she was young...antagonists of her story arc put in danger her birthplace....mom killed by one of the antagonist of the arc (Diamante).

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why all female characters have the same backstory?

because it is the nature of a woman

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ProGoddess's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

The author likes that kind of tragic stories for his female characters, doesn't he?

~~~~++~~~~Do You Love Me?~~~~++~~~~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTriggerX View Post
    Why all main female characters have the same backstory?
    Technically, everybody's a crybaby when they're young.

But it's an interesting thing for you to notice and point out. I guess maybe it gives us an insight into Oda's perception of women; or maybe, a more general moral of his story he's trying to convey.

For example, I appreciate very much how he shows these kids who grow up under really harsh situations turn out to be strong, caring and responsible people rather than growing up to play victims blaming the world, society, or men for everything that went wrong in their lives like a lot of people are in the real world today. If I were him, I would be putting these themes in the story to hammer home to the readers that even if things turned out really bad and you had a horrible childhood, you still have a say on what kind of person you turn out to be. And if you persevere in making the right choices, there will always be a happy ending for you.

At least, its a much more artistic and less corny way of relaying this message to the readership than... well, I don't want to talk about another popular manga that comes to mind.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most characters were cry babies. But when it comes to women it seems that their loss's were more. I mean Luffy never even had a mom. I dont know about the rest of the crew. But it does seem like when it comes to the women, they have a mom-less back story more.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MOYcano 0.23's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: Why all female characters have the same backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by galaneka View Post
    because it is the nature of a woman
    Let me pick my popcorn... Oh, wait, virtually no women in this forum
    Please excuse my Spanglish

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanji, Usopp, Luffy, Franky, Chopper lost their parents early on, had the antagonist endanger their birthplace to some degree.

You even put up the same fucking argument twice: parent killed while young and killed by the antagonist is nearly the same argument. By whom else was the parent supposed to be killed? By a storm, by a hero?

Also picking five characters out of a hundred to find a couple similarities...
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

That's funny actually, MY PARENTS WERE KILLED! BY A HERO!
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Sanji, Usopp, Luffy, Franky, Chopper lost their parents early on, had the antagonist endanger their birthplace to some degree.

You even put up the same fucking argument twice: parent killed while young and killed by the antagonist is nearly the same argument. By whom else was the parent supposed to be killed? By a storm, by a hero?

Those were the female characters we got a flashback about, only Vivi doesn't fit there I guess ? And Hancock
    You can't really blame him on this one

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Winlyx-chan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine and I were discussing one piece when this was brought up. Technically Robins mom we never saw die. She just ran back into the village which was under attack. Since we all know characters who are never shown actually being killed/dying can come back (Sabo) there is no guarantee of what really happened to Robin's mother. And in Nami's story the villagers themselves were still alive where in Robins case the entire village and villagers were said to be killed off.
    Eight Down Two To Go

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeta42's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Have anyone's parents ever died in an accident in One Piece? When somebody gets a backstory and has a mother in it, she is nearly always murdered by a bad guy. I think Usopp is the only exception. (Also Ace, but his mom died delaying his birth and protecting him from the Marines, so it probably counts.) OP is right, it's really repetitive, and it's really weird that a brilliant writer like Oda sticks to the same pattern. Being a mother in One Piece surely sucks.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Those characters essentially play the same role in their respective arcs though and have incredibly similar backgrounds. He has a valid point. Rebecca is arguably the blandest character in One Piece in my opinion, not to mention all she does when faced with any of her problems is cry. It got old fast, especially when she decided to spend the entirety of the final round crying.
    Last edited by exacta; July 18, 2014 at 04:14 PM.

New Reply