Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Mikasa's Parentage - Ackerman Clan Discussion

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TheYoungWolf's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mikasa's Parentage - Ackerman Clan Discussion

Hey, everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Figured I'd contribute to the forum with my own theory.

I'll try to explain it as comprehensively as I can.

I'm of the belief that Kenny Ackerman is Mikasa's biological father and that the blonde haired, blue-eyed man we've been led to believe is her dad, is simply an adoptive parental figure. The theory is that at some point, Kenny and the Asian/Oriental woman who would later go on to give birth to Mikasa, were involved with one another. Then, for some (unknown*) reason, Mikasa's mother decided to flea before Kenny discovered the news of her pregnancy, explaining his general lack of knowledge/interest in Mikasa during recent events. Prior to giving birth, she met a man whom she seemingly fell in love with, settled down in Zshinganshina and agreed to keep the truth of her baby's parentage undisclosed.

*With that said, there are a few things up to interpretation. Was Kenny and Mikasa's mother's relationship consensual? If so, what made her want to flea? Did Kenny learn of her location, and hire those thugs to retrieve her or was that just coincidence? What (if any)significance does this have in the grand scheme of things? Or, in other words, what kind of role will Mikasa's lineage play in the events to come?

This supports two commonly accepted speculations:

-Levi and Mikasa are not directly related (Kenny supposedly adopted Levi), further evidenced by the presumption that Levi and Kenny are not of Asian descent.

-Mikasa and her mother are in some way (in this case, romantically and biologically) related to the Ackerman clan.

..while managing to avoid being overly complex and muddled.

I realize that this may not be important; simply interested in the discussion value. Present day Mikasa is often written one-dimensionally to justify her motivations in wanting to protect Eren. Her past is, in my opinion, the most compelling aspect of her character.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mikasa's Parentage - Ackerman Clan Discussion

Mikasa is my favorite character and she doesn't feel one dimensional to me? Maybe I'm biased, but you have to admit she has gotten development these chapters that Eren hasn't been there. Anyways, I don't think Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, what I think is that he could be her uncle, brother of Mikasa's father. Actually I feel Kenny could even be her grandfather, to me it felt like Mikasa's parents were kinda young (maybe young 30's). We can't be sure of this of course it's all speculation.

What was weird to me though is that Mikasa's family lived too isolated from society, like there was no other home close by so it makes me think they may have been hiding? It seems like they didn't go to the city often either. Also how did the slavers find that home? The house where Mikasa was taken to seemed like an abandoned house (there was nothing inside it), so since they didn't live there it makes no sense how they arrived to Mikasa's house and how they knew Mikasa and her mother were Oriental, someone must have told them (they didn't seem smart to have figure all this out by themselves).

Still though, if Kenny did order slavers to go after the Ackermans then why would he kill Mikasa's dad? (who I speculate is the one related to Kenny) And why would he want both Mikasa's mom and Mikasa?

One more thing, remember Mikasa's tattoo on her wrist? Why hasn't it ever been shown? I feel like it is significant too, somehow...Man, I hope this whole Ackerman family thing clears up soon enough...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner RIplian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

This pretty much seems based on the fact that they share the name Ackermann. If that's so, where does Levi fit?

As for the slavers, they weren't even looking for Mikasa, but her mother. They could of heard of her from people that deal with Dr. Jaeger. Also, I don't think they are hiding, because they conduct their business outside (playing, gardening, hunting) and that's not something people in hiding do. Most importantly, the father figure doesn't check who it could be before opening his door. It doesn't matter how remote you are, a person in hiding would not just open their door, regardless of expecting someone or not.

More likely than not, Ackermann can be a name that certain criminal elements take as a moniker, or maybe that's the author's way of telling us that these people are a special breed. Hell, they could even be genetically modified -even cloned or tank grown soldiers that MP HQ breeds for specific tasks to ensure they have the trump cards they need.

Until some more details are revealed, it's impossible to say. Isayama could have done this on purpose just in case he needed a back up plot or twist, or maybe its an idea he hasn't fully evolved yet.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    Hey, everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Figured I'd contribute to the forum with my own theory.

I'll try to explain it as comprehensively as I can.

I'm of the belief that Kenny Ackerman is Mikasa's biological father and that the blonde haired, blue-eyed man we've been led to believe is her dad, is simply an adoptive parental figure. The theory is that at some point, Kenny and the Asian/Oriental woman who would later go on to give birth to Mikasa, were involved with one another. Then, for some (unknown*) reason, Mikasa's mother decided to flea before Kenny discovered the news of her pregnancy, explaining his general lack of knowledge/interest in Mikasa during recent events. Prior to giving birth, she met a man whom she seemingly fell in love with, settled down in Zshinganshina and agreed to keep the truth of her baby's parentage undisclosed.

*With that said, there are a few things up to interpretation. Was Kenny and Mikasa's mother's relationship consensual? If so, what made her want to flea? Did Kenny learn of her location, and hire those thugs to retrieve her or was that just coincidence? What (if any)significance does this have in the grand scheme of things? Or, in other words, what kind of role will Mikasa's lineage play in the events to come?

This supports two commonly accepted speculations:

-Levi and Mikasa are not directly related (Kenny supposedly adopted Levi), further evidenced by the presumption that Levi and Kenny are not of Asian descent.

-Mikasa and her mother are in some way (in this case, romantically and biologically) related to the Ackerman clan.

..while managing to avoid being overly complex and muddled.

I realize that this may not be important; simply interested in the discussion value. Present day Mikasa is often written one-dimensionally to justify her motivations in wanting to protect Eren. Her past is, in my opinion, the most compelling aspect of her character.
    It could be that Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, but I personally doubt it. They are related though. Maybe he's her grandfather, or paternal uncle or a cousin on her father's side. I've speculated myself about the true nature of the attack on Mikasa's house, but I have come to the conclusion that it was exactly as it seemed.
    Mikasa is the least complex major character, that is true, but her growing respect for Levi tells me that she will have some character development.

Quote Quote:
    Mikasa is my favorite character and she doesn't feel one dimensional to me? Maybe I'm biased, but you have to admit she has gotten development these chapters that Eren hasn't been there. Anyways, I don't think Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, what I think is that he could be her uncle, brother of Mikasa's father. Actually I feel Kenny could even be her grandfather, to me it felt like Mikasa's parents were kinda young (maybe young 30's). We can't be sure of this of course it's all speculation.

What was weird to me though is that Mikasa's family lived too isolated from society, like there was no other home close by so it makes me think they may have been hiding? It seems like they didn't go to the city often either. Also how did the slavers find that home? The house where Mikasa was taken to seemed like an abandoned house (there was nothing inside it), so since they didn't live there it makes no sense how they arrived to Mikasa's house and how they knew Mikasa and her mother were Oriental, someone must have told them (they didn't seem smart to have figure all this out by themselves).

Still though, if Kenny did order slavers to go after the Ackermans then why would he kill Mikasa's dad? (who I speculate is the one related to Kenny) And why would he want both Mikasa's mom and Mikasa?

One more thing, remember Mikasa's tattoo on her wrist? Why hasn't it ever been shown? I feel like it is significant too, somehow...Man, I hope this whole Ackerman family thing clears up soon enough...
    Don't you think it's interesting how in the beginning everybody though Mikasa was special because of her Oriental heritage and the tattoo, while now that we know Kenny and Levi's last names, we think that it's her father's side what is actually a source of speculation?

On another note I welcome you both (princesszelda and TheYoungWolf) to the forums

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princesszelda View Post

Didn't mean to offend, Mikasa is also one of my favorite characters. In no way did I say that to bash her character, or those who feel she's written with a lot of depth. It's just my personal take on the matter. Like I said, I find her history particularly interesting. Her actions, less so.

As far as Kenny goes, he may come off older than Mikasa's relatively young parents, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Particularly if the relationship between Kenny and her mother was nonconsensual(rape). There's honestly so many different ways it can be explained biologically. I could certainly see him being a grandfather figure to one of her parents as well. How everything relates is up in the air until we've received some insight.

We really don't know how self-sustaining and isolated their way of living was. It can be assumed that they lived where they did for how ever long Mikasa was alive up until that point (I believe she was nine when they died?), perhaps even before. One would be forgiven to think that their whereabouts were known by at least a few people. That's why the attack by the thugs is questionable. I didn't mean to suggest that they found the home by coincidence, just that the thugs themselves could have possibly been random criminals/slavers (no one of narrative importance).

If Kenny was the one who sent them, regardless of whether he is the brother of Mikasa's dad or if he had previous relations with Mikasa's mother, I'm convinced that he and the thugs he hired(in the scenario that he was actually the one who hired them) were not aware of Mikasa's existence. She was just an unexpected complication after they arrived. Kenny is obviously a very dangerous man. If he had the knowledge of his brother's/ex-lover/victim's location, and he knows that Asian's are of value and importance, he could have had a number of different motivations for hiring thugs. It all depends on their previous relationship, why Mikasa's family was living in a secluded location and if it was in fact, an organized operation.

I agree, I'm hoping the tattoo will be addressed sometime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by RIplian View Post
    This pretty much seems based on the fact that they share the name Ackermann. If that's so, where does Levi fit?

As for the slavers, they weren't even looking for Mikasa, but her mother. They could of heard of her from people that deal with Dr. Jaeger. Also, I don't think they are hiding, because they conduct their business outside (playing, gardening, hunting) and that's not something people in hiding do. Most importantly, the father figure doesn't check who it could be before opening his door. It doesn't matter how remote you are, a person in hiding would not just open their door, regardless of expecting someone or not.

More likely than not, Ackermann can be a name that certain criminal elements take as a moniker, or maybe that's the author's way of telling us that these people are a special breed. Hell, they could even be genetically modified -even cloned or tank grown soldiers that MP HQ breeds for specific tasks to ensure they have the trump cards they need.

Until some more details are revealed, it's impossible to say. Isayama could have done this on purpose just in case he needed a back up plot or twist, or maybe its an idea he hasn't fully evolved yet.
    Is this directed towards my original post? If so, I addressed Levi. He was taken in, adopted, by Kenny. If I'm not mistaken, it's already been confirmed in the manga. This could literally happen anywhere at anytime. Could've happened several years before meeting Mikasa's mother, and it could've happened soon after. Unless, of course, you have a specific reason as to why Kenny can't train Levi AND have some sort of consensual/nonconsensual relationship with a woman, I'm not seeing where the disbelief is coming from.

It's true, her family might not have been hiding at all. They certainly didn't seem very concerned. That said, it could be interpreted either way. As I stated above, assuming they lived in that same location for nine years, seemingly unharmed and unbothered, it wouldn't be too far out of the question for them to feel comfortable with their surroundings, even if they were in hiding. Especially if Grisha was one of the only people they were accustomed to being in regular contact with. The issue with trying to make assumptions in this regard, is that we have such little information about their way of living and their surroundings to make a conclusive argument.

I've always had a hard time getting behind the idea that there's just a group of people under the name Ackerman with no particular relation to each other aside from exclusively being criminals or bred soldiers. I suppose it would work if it was actually comprised of a tight-knit bunch, but it strikes me as more of a family thing rather than a literal clan. There's loose ends with that theory that bother me. For example, if the Ackerman's are just a clan made up of expert criminals or soldiers, wouldn't someone attempting to distance themselves from that clan(Mikasa's parents/parental figures) choose to go by something other than the name that defines them as criminals?

Regardless, I agree. Isayama is the only one qualified to confirm anything. He could very well be leaving things ambiguous in order to cover all of his bases.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    It could be that Kenny is Mikasa's biological father, but I personally doubt it. They are related though. Maybe he's her grandfather, or paternal uncle or a cousin on her father's side. I've speculated myself about the true nature of the attack on Mikasa's house, but I have come to the conclusion that it was exactly as it seemed.
    Mikasa is the least complex major character, that is true, but her growing respect for Levi tells me that she will have some character development.

On another note I welcome you both (princesszelda and TheYoungWolf) to the forums

I suppose that was my true intention behind posting my theory; to speculate how exactly they relate to one another. If anything, I believe that they are undoubtedly biologically related. How so, is bound to be revealed sooner or later. I'm inclined to agree with you about the attack. There was nothing particularly suspect about it aside from how they knew of the location. Everything else; their motives, actions/reactions seemed genuine.

Lacking major complexity doesn't have to be a negative character trait. There's a simple pleasure in characters who's intentions are clearly defined. I'm very much looking forward to her future dynamic with Levi and what it does for both of their characters.

In any case, thank you! Majority of my friends have only watched the anime, so it's nice to have a place to discuss the manga with others. Even if that means having the occasional disagreement.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    Is this directed towards my original post? If so, I addressed Levi. He was taken in, adopted, by Kenny. If I'm not mistaken, it's already been confirmed in the manga. This could literally happen anywhere at anytime. Could've happened several years before meeting Mikasa's mother, and it could've happened soon after. Unless, of course, you have a specific reason as to why Kenny can't train Levi AND have some sort of consensual/nonconsensual relationship with a woman, I'm not seeing where the disbelief is coming from.
    Not that I don't believe you, but where exactly does it say Levi was adopted by Kenny? I know he said he took him in and ran with him in a crew. Maybe it's just me missing something, or a bad scan. Seems kind of odd that he would a adopt a kid, give him his last name, raise him, train him, and then kill him while calling him a "runt."

I suppose you're right on Mikasa's father being Kenny, as there is no outright proof against it. Not sure it would change much regardless, unless something else is revealed to make it important.

*Cue Kenny telling Mikasa the "I am your father" speech*
    That would be worth it if she had no reaction or killed him remorselessly anyway.

On another note, I also find myself in the same boat as you -having friends who watch the anime but don't pay attention to the manga. It's good to have a place to discuss this stuff.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that I don't believe you, but where exactly does it say Levi was adopted by Kenny? I know he said he took him in and ran with him in a crew. Maybe it's just me missing something, or a bad scan. Seems kind of odd that he would a adopt a kid, give him his last name, raise him, train him, and then kill him while calling him a "runt."

I suppose you're right on Mikasa's father being Kenny, as there is no outright proof against it. Not sure it would change much regardless, unless something else is revealed to make it important.

That would be worth it if she had no reaction or killed him remorselessly anyway.

On another note, I also find myself in the same boat as you -having friends who watch the anime but don't pay attention to the manga. It's good to have a place to discuss this stuff.
    Seems that's misinformation on my part. The term "adopted" was meant to be taken lightly. A streamlined way of referring to their non-familial, mentor/trainee relationship. I wasn't trying to imply that the manga had specified some sort of legal binding between the two.. I was mostly just trying to point out that Levi's tutelage under Kenny would still work with my theory in play.

Kenny turning out to be Mikasa's father/direct relative could be a significant reveal or it could amount to very little, if anything. Right now, it's nothing more than a presumption that may or may not come true. I just think it would be an interesting turn of events, even more so if Mikasa does end up killing him. That, to me, seems like it holds a high possibility for development between Levi and her as well; something we all seem to express a certain amount of interest and optimism in.

Agreed. Having friends to watch the anime with is always an awesome thing, but the lack of mutual knowledge between readers and non-readers is a hurdle at best. Same issue with Game of Thrones/ASoIaF haha.

I am 100% for this by the way. It'd be well worth it.
    Last edited by TheYoungWolf; July 23, 2014 at 02:19 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

I have already said this somewhere else on these forums, but I will say it again. If Mikasa's father and Kenny were close relatives and lived in the same place, Kenny's 'career choice' could have made Mikasa's father run away from the capital to Wall Maria. We should also be asking why Kenny became a serial killer, and why he is working for the central government now.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Because the pay is amazing? Government jobs are the way to go. Maybe Kenny is willing to do anything as long as he stays out of the slums.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Since Levi keeps giving Mikasa that 'I know something about you' look a lot in the recent chapters, my friend and I sat down discussing the possibilities. So here's what we thought.

Kenny and Mikasa's father were both part of the 'Ackerman' clan or/and criminal organization, and later Mikasa's dad left the group, taking his family into hiding--the way they lives so far from others. About Levi's involvement, maybe he's the one who found the family and sold them to Kenny, who sent slavers after them, telling them if they kill the father, their reward would be the woman and a girl. Maybe that's why Levi acts weird around Mikasa--he feels guilty about selling her family to Kenny.

Remember that A Choice with No Regrets took place in the same year Mikasa lost her parents. Levi was living with Isabel and Farlan then. Maybe after what happened to Mikasa and her family, Levi left Kenny. Or maybe he wasn't even living with Kenny then and only sold Mikasa's family for a reward. Levi was a thug and a criminal.

Just some ideas. I don't think Levi and Mikasa are blood-related at all. Kenny and Mikasa, it's possible.
    Last edited by Maxtina; July 27, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

New Reply