Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy

I'm highly skeptical of this. We've seen this kind of thing before. We'll probably see it again after this fails, and it will. In the long run the effect will be absolutely zero.

Most sites they manage to shut down will show up with a slightly different name in like a month and there is nothing they can do about it. And more than a few they probably can't shut down at all because they are based in countries over which Japan has absolutely no influence or authority (DCMA's issued to a site based outside the United States are virtually pointless). And the whole thing is going to be so far down Interpol's priority list that the first meeting on it would be probably scheduled for like 200 years from now... at the bottom of the ocean.

-------------------------

The reality is that, the industry needs to adapt to the reality not try and force it to be what they wish it was. Offering more add supported content. Offering people the chance to pay reasonable fees for better quality or easy of access. Those are the only things that have effects.

Enforcement of internet piracy is like punching a river. All your doing is wearing yourself out while it flows right around you.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 01, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 6

Quote Originally Posted by llazy77 View Post
    This month the the Japanese government is shutting down manga illegal manga sites seems like early scanlation for jump is going to stop and viz shonen jump website is going to be the only option now.
    Unfortunately we live in world filled with people operating under varying levels of morality in terms of their views on illicit access and distribution of manga. Citing concerns of justifying its practice being legal due to the content not being in their country, or being of low/no income status and thus they are entitled to reading the manga due to the inability to actually purchase it, it is highly unlikely that the JPN gov't would be enough to stop or alter their view and force them to change their ways. In fact most people laughed at this announcement. So far I think your post is the first to have a panic attack. Regardless, the announcement seems to really only concern the access of the content creators works on aggregate cites and since most groups, I imagine, actually have their own hub base of operations that is most or highly likely not generating enough returns to rival that of having a relatively modest salaried jobs income, then I doubt they really have much of any concern with the announcement.

In terms of Shueisha and Viz, based on the groups working on their manga, outside of the long running runs (which would really only stop if somehow early leaks were prevented...), I cant imagine any of the groups would really be targets and victims of the JPN gov't assault.

Really only concern has to be if the announcement were proclaiming and supranational coalition forcing ISP's to blacklist cites and filesharing hosts scanning and preventing the uploading and sharing of content, itd probably make it harder and more time consuming for casuals to really look for manga.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 6

Quote Originally Posted by llazy77 View Post
    This month the the Japanese government is shutting down manga illegal manga sites seems like early scanlation for jump is going to stop and viz shonen jump website is going to be the only option now.
    lol they try this every few years and it never works. Never, ever, ever, ever. Nothing will shut down, nothing will change, nothing is going to happen. It will be no different than the JManga fiasco, or that time Funi sent out C&D's to fansubbers on behalf of the copyright holders, or the countless other times they've tried to stop scanlations and fansubs. Cause the internet really works like that. If you want to believe the sky is falling this time, enjoy yourself. I'm sure this time it's really different and that they really will be able to shut down off shore sites they have no legal jurisdiction over.

This new site is derpiest yet, only linking to VIZ, CR, and other pay sites. Good luck mango industries

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

BTW: I don't read that much manga and am a Crunchyroll subscriber. None of this really effects me. Not that it will effect anyone. It's obviously doomed to fail.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop early scanlation is nearly impossible because it would have to change the way the publishers there in Japan distribute their magazines. The magazine must arrive in the stores before its release date, there is no way to change that. That said and given the fact that they want to shut down sites that were based in countries they don't any power... It tends to be a failure again.
    Improve their services around the world would be better than try to stop scanlations. USA is almost a heaven for me, here we don't have 1/4 of releases USA has and no ways to read it digitally besides Crunchyroll, which is in English and narrow the amount of people who can use it.

It is not just a problem in USA, it is a worldwide problem that they are dealing wrongly.
    As an example, thepiratebay was aimed by the entire entertainment industry more than once and it is still alive. Only one site, even more a bunch of them.
    Last edited by Leoat12; August 01, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I recall the only real result of the last time they attempted this (RIP onemanga) was that a lot of scanlation groups disappeared. Not sure if that was because of the attempt at the time. Still, that only means that for the groups that remain scanlating manga is even more profitable. I don't think there has been a reduction in this sort of web traffic at all. And there won't be one as long as it remains profitable. The most they could do is enforce controls where said control is viable but that only means they will host the mangas in places where they won't look into that. With the magic of the internet they same people could do scans in one country and simply host them in another.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    Stop early scanlation is nearly impossible because it would have to change the way the publishers there in Japan distribute their magazines. The magazine must arrive in the stores before its release date, there is no way to change that. That said and given the fact that they want to shut down sites that were based in countries they don't any power... It tends to be a failure again.
    Improve their services around the world would be better than try to stop scanlations. USA is almost a heaven for me, here we don't have 1/4 of releases USA has and no ways to read it digitally besides Crunchyroll, which is in English and narrow the amount of people who can use it.

It is not just a problem in USA, it is a worldwide problem that they are dealing wrongly.
    As an example, thepiratebay was aimed by the entire entertainment industry more than once and it is still alive. Only one site, even more a bunch of them.
    Technically they could prevent the early leaks by getting rid of the physical magazines entirely and switching to digital-distribution-only. Which they're not gonna do any time soon, obviously. If that happened, then they would totally control the exact moment it was available to anyone. So in that way they could not give scanlators enough time to scanlate. Course, then you would end up with a Horriblesubs type of scenario where they got ripped and put up for free immediately.

Tonari no Young Jump works in a pretty good way, I think. I'm glad One Punch Man is doing well, because it's setting a precedent that that business model can work. The series goes online on their official reader (Even though it's kinda slow) and is free to view by anyone from any region. So I always just read that series on their site. Course, the official English version comes out later and you have to pay for it. So it's not a flawless system.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    Technically they could prevent the early leaks by getting rid of the physical magazines entirely and switching to digital-distribution-only. Which they're not gonna do any time soon, obviously. If that happened, then they would totally control the exact moment it was available to anyone. So in that way they could not give scanlators enough time to scanlate. Course, then you would end up with a Horriblesubs type of scenario where they got ripped and put up for free immediately.

Tonari no Young Jump works in a pretty good way, I think. I'm glad One Punch Man is doing well, because it's setting a precedent that that business model can work. The series goes online on their official reader (Even though it's kinda slow) and is free to view by anyone from any region. So I always just read that series on their site. Course, the official English version comes out later and you have to pay for it. So it's not a flawless system.
    Or they could just release the magazine digitally a week before the print schedule.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the best course of action would be to stop trying to make a profit chapter by chapter and focus on the volume sales. Manga is a type of media that people, normally, don't mind to read the same thing, they read weekly and buy the volume to read again afterward. By what I understood, Tonari no Young Jump is doing that with Onepunch-man and its volumes still sell fairly well. Crunchyroll is like that as well, locking up chapters after one week.
    Of course, there would be something like Horriblescans thing and it would work only in a digital-distribution-only scenario, but in the future it would be best action to take.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WesKR View Post
    Or they could just release the magazine digitally a week before the print schedule.
    If they did this, it would be better end with print version at once.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Stark700's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    If they did this, it would be better end with print version at once.
    No, because print would still be for those who like to hold the magazine, albeit a week later. People would still buy it.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason it's not gonna happen any time soon is that the vast majority of people buy the physical magazine in Japan. Largely because that's just how it's always been, I guess. They'd end up losing money doing that.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2