Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

  1. #1
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    The new OVA was pretty good, however there is one point that I think needs to be discussed, and that is the landscape. One of the most interesting questions about the SNK world is: Where are the Walls located, if they are on Earth?

    Since most of the characters seem to come from a German (or European) background most of us assume that the Walls are located in Europe. However, the landscape in the OVA is a mix between a badland and a desert. There are very few landscapes of the same type in Europe; one being in Spain (Bardenas Reales) where the Walls can't possibly fit, and the other being in Poland (Bledow desert) in which there are no mountains, as there were in the desert in SNK. Also, are there any lizards like the one Jean tried to hunt in Europe?

    Certain landscapes and such lizards can be found in the U.S., though. Maybe the Walls are located there?

    I'd like to know your though on the matter .

  2. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    At the sea behind the head.
    Country
    Denmark
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    I may not live in Germany, but I'll tell you, I've never once seen a giant lizard crossing my neighborhood. We had like wolves come from Germany, and even a moose swam over from Sweden one time.
    And I think the desert area must have been a mistake by the director or production designer, because Isayama has kept the series environment very consistently German as far as I can tell.
    There aren't any bears for example.

    Although confusingly enough, Before the Fall also has a canyon right next to Shiganshina.
    That could be a coincidental, but it may be likely that the Walls do take place in America. So all those (mostly) German people, may have migrated from Europe.
    So if we were to flip the map that come with the covers, it does make a bit more sense.
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

  3. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    here's a post on tumblr about the lizard and a bird from that OVA
    but at the same time it can't be in Germany as there's no place where the walls could stand and not be close to the sea. The closest it could be to Germany is on Czech Republic's and Poland's territories. The comparison of territory humanity has in Shingeki no Kyojin to Europe.

  4. #4
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtIristic View Post
    I may not live in Germany, but I'll tell you, I've never once seen a giant lizard crossing my neighborhood. We had like wolves come from Germany, and even a moose swam over from Sweden one time.
    You had wolves and a moose come to your neighborhood?! Your neighborhood sounds awesome . On a more serious note, wolf packs tend to go to cities during harsh winters. Something like that happened in my grandmother's natal town when she was a teenager. Nobody died, but a guy got bitten in the buttocks (yes, you read that correctly). Since that day everybody in the town started using the word 'Arse' instead of his last name when talking about him.

    Quote Quote:
    And I think the desert area must have been a mistake by the director or production designer, because Isayama has kept the series environment very consistently German as far as I can tell.
    There aren't any bears for example.
    Indeed. Even when he drew the walled area as seen from above back in the early chapters, there were no areas that could be interpreted as deserts. There were either grasslands or forests.

    Quote Quote:
    Although confusingly enough, Before the Fall also has a canyon right next to Shiganshina.
    That could be a coincidental, but it may be likely that the Walls do take place in America. So all those (mostly) German people, may have migrated from Europe.
    So if we were to flip the map that come with the covers, it does make a bit more sense.
    Well, we DO have to flip the map so we can read the seemingly undecipherable characters. And by 'we' I mean the ones among us SNK fans who can read and understand Japanese; myself, unfortunately, not included.
    However, the sea between the two continents in abnormally narrow. At first I thought that people migrated from the Scandinavian Peninsula to Central/Eastern Europe, not knowing that Scandinavia is not a peninsula.

    Quote Quote:
    here's a post on tumblr about the lizard and a bird from that OVA
    but at the same time it can't be in Germany as there's no place where the walls could stand and not be close to the sea. The closest it could be to Germany is on Czech Republic's and Poland's territories. The comparison of territory humanity has in Shingeki no Kyojin to Europe.
    Thank you. I don't see why the fact that the walls could be in Poland and the Czech Republic bothers people. Just because the people are German, it doesn't have to be Germany.

  5. #5
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    This is all assuming that the world of Attack on Titan is this one and not a fantasy one, and it is assuming the author is being careful to take the wildlife and temperance of a certain geographical location. But I want to add to the conversation too!

    One of the problems I find with Attack on Titan is the sense of scale, and particularly with the walls. The sketches that Isayama makes just don't reflect their real scale or proportion. Next, the drawings of the landscapes outside the walls are inconsistent. Sometimes they are desolate and desert like, and other times they are lush with giant trees.

    If a real world equivalent exists it would have to match the drawing in the middle of volume 2 shown here: http://i19.mangapanda.com/shingeki-n...in-2078701.jpg


    I'm not Geography master, but I can't think of a mountain with rivers that big running almost perfectly North, South, East, West like that, though a search for a mountain like with a lake like that on our globle might lead us to inspiration as to where it is.

    Moreover, in Volume 1 Erin talks with Armin about the world, and the mention of oceans filled with salt bring up two clues. The first is that the walls are in a location where salt is scarce, and that the walls are far enough away from the oceans not to see them from the walls.

    About a year ago there was the revelation of the writing on the backside of the covers and we learned that the Titans appeared 107 years ago, and humanity tried to cross the sea, and the walls were prepared but erected 7 years after the Titan's appearance on the other continent, and 100 years before the main story.

    Now I ain't a mathematician, but it would be very interesting to figure out how far you can physically see from a height of 50m due to the angel of refraction, and that distance would give us a better idea of how far from the coastline the walls are, and from there we could create a better hypothesis of where it might lie in our world.

    Though, I don't think Isayama really put that much effort into making the location of the walls that exact. The focus is more on the story that is unfolding and the conspiracies we are learning about than the world itself, or the setting.
    Kartoffeln sind gut

  6. #6
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    The Wall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    On the OVA. I'm not sure I consider it Canon. Its more like Filler. I will say though that the wastelands look a lot like the cadet training area. I kind of lost it when I saw the cactus on the map though!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Thank you. I don't see why the fact that the walls could be in Poland and the Czech Republic bothers people. Just because the people are German, it doesn't have to be Germany.
    I see a trend that some German readers really want to believe the land inside the walls is Germany despite clues to the contrary. Certainly its a way to feel more connected to the story, but clues point to different conclusions. I got into a rather long winded debate about this issue in the Before the Fall thread.

    Anyway, the people within the walls were supposed to have migrated there. Does that mean they came from Germany to another land, and that's why they speak German? Because if they came to the walls from somewhere else and the walls surrounded Germany already, they would speak another native tongue, not German! So which is it? I mean, its likely the migration story is BS, but since it seems clear everyone's been brainwashed we have no clue as to where they are on Earth (Earth?), where they originated, and how they got there. Bottom line is the people in the walled cities speak German, look German, build like Germans, but we really don't know where they came from.

    Quote Quote:
    I'm not Geography master, but I can't think of a mountain with rivers that big running almost perfectly North, South, East, West like that, though a search for a mountain like with a lake like that on our globle might lead us to inspiration as to where it is.

    Moreover, in Volume 1 Erin talks with Armin about the world, and the mention of oceans filled with salt bring up two clues. The first is that the walls are in a location where salt is scarce, and that the walls are far enough away from the oceans not to see them from the walls.
    Great point! The lands within the walls are almost too perfect in geography. I brought up an idea that they might be a product of geoengineering which is maybe too imaginative for some people to consider, but a reasonable one to make given how eerily radially symmetric the lands inside the walls are. Another great point about the walls being too close to the oceans. There's been 57 Survey Corps expeditions beyond the walls, and many of them took place before losing Wall Maria. If the walls were right next to the coastline, the SC would have likely run into one. Even if they haven't found the sea yet, if the walls surrounded Germany, the Sea inlet where Hamburg lies would still be getting seawater flowing into it (so salt water wouldn't be surprising to Eren or Armin).

    Given what we know about the land inside the walls, it would be hard to place anywhere on Earth really. I can't think of a single landmass the size of Texas with a lone high mountain and rivers flowing down in all directions. Therefore, we don't know where its happening on earth, or if the land they are on has been engineered somehow, or maybe that they're NOT on Earth...interesting thought right? Since we have no history before 107 years, there's no real way to place it historically, so we dont even know WHEN it takes place. (Given that Hanji names a titan after Russian Serial Killer/Cannibal Chikatilo who died in 1994 however, its likely all of this is happening after 1994, in my opinion).

    So if we don't know where or when this all happened, there may be no problems, geographically, with having a wasteland within the walls.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

  7. #7
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    (Given that Hanji names a titan after Russian Serial Killer/Cannibal Chikatilo who died in 1994 however, its likely all of this is happening after 1994, in my opinion).
    Chikatilo? Which titan was named after him? I only remember Sawney and Bean and that legend is based on a person who lived in 15th/16th century.
    Hanji naming titans after real people doesn't mean that she knows stories connected to them. It might be just Isayama's choice, as some sort of a wink towards readers.

    Their technology and generally how the scenery looks like are the best evidences that the story can't take place before the invention of steam engine. Titans don't destroy anything unless there are people around and obviously don't clean around. And even outside the walls all we saw were old buildings just like the ones inside the walls and unspoilt landscapes. Nothing more, no cars or anything more left there.

    Wouldn't it be the easiest to try establish where forests with such tall trees grow? SNK's wikia says that The Forest of Giant Trees has trees that are around 80m tall, but the Female Titan is 14m tall and to me it looked like she was only a bit less than half the size of these trees, so they'd be around 30m.

    PIXISSUUU why do you say that they speak German? I don't remember it being ever mentioned and obviously in the anime they speak Japanese so I have no idea where this idea came from.


    It is confirmed that Isayama based the city on German city Nördlingenand and most of the surnames are German, so it's not strange that some people assume that's where the action takes place. But taking into consideration all the aspects we mentioned here, it just can't be Germany OR Isayama just didn't really go into detail, just drew whatever landscapes, fauna and flora.

  8. #8
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    The Wall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    Chikatilo? Which titan was named after him? I only remember Sawney and Bean and that legend is based on a person who lived in 15th/16th century.
    She also mentioned two previous titans they had captured, and named Albert and Chikatilo (although it gets mistranslated in the anime as Chicachironi or something). I read about the connection to these two titans here. Since Chikatilo died in 1994, Hanji probably lived after he existed and committed his cannibalistic murders. Somehow his story manages to get passed down despite the memory manipulation.

    EDIT: I'm actually now realizing this may have only been in the Anime. Is that still considered canon??? Maybe it weakens the post 1994 conclusion...

    Spoiler show


    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    Hanji naming titans after real people doesn't mean that she knows stories connected to them. It might be just Isayama's choice, as some sort of a wink towards readers.
    True, but Isayama isn't the type to send winks to the reader or provide fan service. I think its a clue, but of course its not hard proof this is an era that occurs after modern (present) times.

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    Their technology and generally how the scenery looks like are the best evidences that the story can't take place before the invention of steam engine. Titans don't destroy anything unless there are people around and obviously don't clean around. And even outside the walls all we saw were old buildings just like the ones inside the walls and unspoilt landscapes. Nothing more, no cars or anything more left there.
    You're premise is that given all that humanity has done to manipulate the landscape, that there would be some trace of it left. Its also possible that people who are able to make titans are also capable of returning a landscape to a pristine state, or possibly relocating people to a location where there hasn't been any human impact yet. Doesn't even have to be Earth. I'm not saying that's the explanation for sure, but its a possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    Wouldn't it be the easiest to try establish where forests with such tall trees grow? SNK's wikia says that The Forest of Giant Trees has trees that are around 80m tall, but the Female Titan is 14m tall and to me it looked like she was only a bit less than half the size of these trees, so they'd be around 30m.
    That would put the Walls in California, as the giant trees resemble Sequoias.

    Spoiler show


    Here's some 3DMG from the present era. Unfortunately the geography doesn't work out again as California is too close to the ocean.

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    PIXISSUUU why do you say that they speak German? I don't remember it being ever mentioned and obviously in the anime they speak Japanese so I have no idea where this idea came from.
    That's a really good point and you're right that there's no guarantee that they speak German. I just assumed it was the case because of the names. Certainly their written language doesn't resemble German at all. I guess I just had a personal bias towards believing they spoke German as I love the language. As great as the Japanese voice actors are in this series, I love the German FanDubs that have been popping up. AoT just sounds "richtig auf Deutsch" (right in German). Especially love Annie's voice in this one.
    Last edited by PIXISSUUU; August 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

  9. #9
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    EDIT: I'm actually now realizing this may have only been in the Anime. Is that still considered canon??? Maybe it weakens the post 1994 conclusion...
    Anime is definitely canon. But it just can't take place on Earth in our timeline (? I don't know proper sci-fi names for these sort of things, sorry) because of how far behind they are with technology. Even if they left everything behind there would be someone who could at least reproduce some of these technical inventions yet they're still riding carriages and using candles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    Its also possible that people who are able to make titans are also capable of returning a landscape to a pristine state, or possibly relocating people to a location where there hasn't been any human impact yet.
    Do you seriously believe that? It's just really unbelievable in my opinion.

    My knowledge of trees is really poor, but I tried googling for such forests yesterday and I couldn't find anything worth mentioning. Redwoods seemed the closest to it, but just as you said - it's too close to the ocean. I think there's no point with checking every little geographical detail, clearly it's not our world or Isayama isn't consistent with it, either way for now there's no way to tell what year and place the action takes place.

    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    True, but Isayama isn't the type to send winks to the reader or provide fan service. I think its a clue, but of course its not hard proof this is an era that occurs after modern (present) times.
    I didn't mean it as fan service. I agree that it might be a clue, but I wouldn't treat it as a clue what year it is. I'd look into the story of that person and try to find anything that could be applied to titans, like this guy's motif or something along these lines.
    Isayama actually leaves lots of clues - like Annie's fighting stance both in person and titan forms, Bertholdt being close to changing in front of everyone in Castle Utgard, how shifters always shared strange eye contact... I'm also pretty sure there's plenty of symbolism hidden behind little details that some might just completely ignore. Things like a pomegranate or a praying mantis, character names and other trivia.

    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    AoT just sounds "richtig auf Deutsch" (right in German). Especially love Annie's voice in this one.
    Oh my... I'm a sucker for German language, too, so now I want to watch it in German :O I already love Eren's, Mikasa's and Annie's voice in this.

  10. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    At the sea behind the head.
    Country
    Denmark
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Ok, I found one of these eye catches, and I've always found it rather strange.
    Try and spot what is so weird about it.
    Again, the anime team could had been the ones behind it.
    Also, is that the sea, or just a bunch of black spot up at north?
    Could be the Netherlands, but then why haven't they seen it?
    Spoiler show
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

  11. #11
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtIristic View Post
    Ok, I found one of these eye catches, and I've always found it rather strange.
    Try and spot what is so weird about it.
    Again, the anime team could had been the ones behind it.
    Also, is that the sea, or just a bunch of black spot up at north?
    Could be the Netherlands, but then why haven't they seen it?
    Spoiler show
    Probably just black spots. If the sea were that close, the people from the Northern District of Wall Maria would be able to see it. I believe that the black spots are unexplored.

  12. #12
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    It can't be unexplored as these black spots are even inside the walls (next to a district on the right). I'd say that these are depressions. Other black areas inside the walls must be lakes.
    However this image shows that the area in the Wall Sina is completely flat whereas in the manga it is told that it's elevated/has a mountain http://38.media.tumblr.com/236a400a0...suto1_1280.jpg

  13. #13
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    At the sea behind the head.
    Country
    Denmark
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    I meant that the black lake spots inside the walls were shaped like Africa, Australia and Greenland. There isn't really any rhyme or reason to it, but there you go.
    But yeah, the huge black spot could be depressions or just unexplored land.
    Also it's weird how much water comes from that mountain. I know that snow on top is probably providing it, but wouldn't a lake usually be more likely to form such abundant rivers,?. I'm not an expert in rivers, but I just find it a bit odd.
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

  14. #14
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    The Wall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtIristic View Post
    Could be the Netherlands, but then why haven't they seen it?
    Spoiler show
    I see your point about how the black body of water in the distance resembles the coastal inlets of the Netherlands. However, if this is to scale that would also reduce the area within the walls to less than half (or less than a quarter??) of the previously established area. This is assuming the black body in the distance is the same as the bay (Ijellsmeer & Markermeer) shown here.

    Spoiler show


    According to Isayama's dimensions, the walls are much larger than that.

    Spoiler show
    Last edited by PIXISSUUU; August 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

  15. #15
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtIristic View Post
    I meant that the black lake spots inside the walls were shaped like Africa, Australia and Greenland. There isn't really any rhyme or reason to it, but there you go.
    yeah I noticed Africa and Australia, but I thought I'm only seeing things
    Even though these spots aren't in place like on Earth for a second I entertained a thought that this world is reversed - where we have oceans and other water there is land in their world and vice versa. But besides the placement of these black spots also its scale isn't right.

    Now that I think of it why won't they travel down the river in a boat? It would be way safer than to ride on horses between all those titans.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts