Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

  1. #16
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    The Wall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    Anime is definitely canon. But it just can't take place on Earth in our timeline (? I don't know proper sci-fi names for these sort of things, sorry) because of how far behind they are with technology. Even if they left everything behind there would be someone who could at least reproduce some of these technical inventions yet they're still riding carriages and using candles.

    Do you seriously believe that? It's just really unbelievable in my opinion.
    I agree its a pretty unconventional explanation, but in my opinion there aren't any reasons why it can't be true. Like I said, i believe the series takes place after 1994 due to the mention of the story of Russian Cannibal Andrei Chikatilo by Hanji. The fact they ride carriages and use candles and have a general 19th century level of technology is not a meaningful way to place the era because all memories within the walls have been manipulated. On the other hand, they appear to be in a geographic location that's nearly impossible, and they have the tech to manipulate memories, create titans, create titan shifters, and build seamless walls that span thousands of miles. That, combined with Eren's dreams and visions of Mikasa's hair changing length in an instant, along with the opening chapter being called"To you, in 2000 years" makes me suspicious this is the future.

    We also have to decide what kind of manga we believe this is. If we're watching Naruto, you have to believe in the chakra system, and if you are watching Death Note, you have to accept that there are death gods. Is Attack on Titan that kind of manga? Is there some magic going on in SnK that we just have to accept? Or will Isayama reveal fairly reasonable non-magical explanations for what is happening in the story?

    Its possible as you say, that this is just an alternate timeline. However, my current suspicion is that this is the future. Its not confirmed, and I'll keep my eye out for new evidence, but I think its as good a guess as any right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    I didn't mean it as fan service. I agree that it might be a clue, but I wouldn't treat it as a clue what year it is. I'd look into the story of that person and try to find anything that could be applied to titans, like this guy's motif or something along these lines.
    Chikatilo was a cannibal. So was Albert Fish and Sawney Bean. I think the connection is that Hanji seems to like naming titans after human cannibals.
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

  2. #17
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    yeah I noticed Africa and Australia, but I thought I'm only seeing things
    Even though these spots aren't in place like on Earth for a second I entertained a thought that this world is reversed - where we have oceans and other water there is land in their world and vice versa. But besides the placement of these black spots also its scale isn't right.

    Now that I think of it why won't they travel down the river in a boat? It would be way safer than to ride on horses between all those titans.
    At first I believed that the lakes that were shaped like Australia and Africa were a hint that the story is taking place on Earth. Now, though, I believe that it can be a 'reversed' Earth. Also Don't know how Titans act in the presence of water, or if they can swim. If they can, then going to an Expedition by boat or ship would be much more dangerous than using horses.

  3. #18
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner leneq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    PIXISSUUU so we agree to disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    We also have to decide what kind of manga we believe this is. If we're watching Naruto, you have to believe in the chakra system, and if you are watching Death Note, you have to accept that there are death gods. Is Attack on Titan that kind of manga? Is there some magic going on in SnK that we just have to accept? Or will Isayama reveal fairly reasonable non-magical explanations for what is happening in the story?
    Hopefully the latter one. I'm ok with titans (especially now that I read a cool theory about science behind their existence), but I just really wish it has scientific explanation to everything. I don't want it to be another Dragon Ball or something
    But what I want isn't important, it's not like Isayama now will sit down and think hard how to scientifically explain some of the themes in his story, because someone on the Internet wants it to be that way.


    Quote Originally Posted by PIXISSUUU View Post
    Chikatilo was a cannibal. So was Albert Fish and Sawney Bean. I think the connection is that Hanji seems to like naming titans after human cannibals.
    well that's obvious. Too obvious for me, I like to dig too much into every little mystery


    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Also Don't know how Titans act in the presence of water, or if they can swim. If they can, then going to an Expedition by boat or ship would be much more dangerous than using horses.
    It seems that titans can't swim. It was never mentioned, but on the drawings that portray how people run away from all around the world to live in those walls, there's never even one titan inside water. Same goes on the wall in the second ending of anime. I know it's a really shitty argument, but I just can't make myself to think otherwise. Woman's instinct? idk

  4. #19
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    At the sea behind the head.
    Country
    Denmark
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    It seems that titans can't swim. It was never mentioned, but on the drawings that portray how people run away from all around the world to live in those walls, there's never even one titan inside water. Same goes on the wall in the second ending of anime. I know it's a really shitty argument, but I just can't make myself to think otherwise. Woman's instinct? idk
    I'm not sure if the Titans are capable of crossing large bodies of waters when they have so poor coordination to swim. With the Female Titan, sure.
    When their bodies are that light, I would imagine they could float, but they would probably just float away on the mercy of the sea. They might also make easy targets, with the right weapons.
    Like whale hunting, but everyone agrees with it. Until irony strikes and there'll be a Titan's protection foundation.

    Maybe Jörmungandr is to blame for all the ships that went missing. We got Ymir and Utgarthilocus, so why not bring all the Norse references?

    Ok, ok. Back to the OVA!
    Did anyone else notice Connie's face?
    Last edited by ArtIristic; August 20, 2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Broken link
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

  5. #20
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by leneq View Post
    It seems that titans can't swim. It was never mentioned, but on the drawings that portray how people run away from all around the world to live in those walls, there's never even one titan inside water. Same goes on the wall in the second ending of anime. I know it's a really shitty argument, but I just can't make myself to think otherwise.
    Maybe they can walk on the ocean's floor? The pressure would crush them if they went deep enough though. Maybe, just like ArtIristic said, they can float on the water surface? Like that they would have problems with rivers, but they could get without problems through lakes, seas and oceans as long as the weather is clear.

    Quote Quote:
    Woman's instinct? idk
    Sound good to me :P .

    Quote Quote:
    Maybe Jörmungandr is to blame for all the ships that went missing. We got Ymir and Utgarthilocus, so why not bring all the Norse references?
    Could be. Maybe in the SNK world he is a Titan shifter, whose Titan form has serpentine features?


    Quote Quote:
    Ok, ok. Back to the OVA!
    Did anyone else notice Connie's face?
    He was behind Sasha at that point, so I don't really blame the guy(if you know what I mean). Best thing about it is that Sasha seems to be blushing. I am so mature.
    Last edited by TheOwl; August 20, 2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: grammar and incomplete sentences

  6. #21
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pakistan
    Country
    Pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    I haven't watched the OVAs yet. Have to check them first.

  7. #22
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    This new OVA imho is simply s**t. I mean: PURE OLD STYLE JAPANESE FILLER S**T ^^

    It's better if the anime makers produce OVA like the second one (only funny) or on canon material even a little fillered (like the first). If they continue to "invent" they will make errors on errors risking to ruin Isayama work.

  8. #23
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    This new OVA imho is simply s**t. I mean: PURE OLD STYLE JAPANESE FILLER S**T ^^

    It's better if the anime makers produce OVA like the second one (only funny) or on canon material even a little fillered (like the first). If they continue to "invent" they will make errors on errors risking to ruin Isayama work.
    I disagree. It might have been filler, but one thing was confirmed with 100% certainty; Armin is the narrator. He will most likely be alive by the end of the story.

  9. #24
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Oh please, this is SnK Anime not Isayama's Manga and imo it's not to be considered canon. You know how many errors anime like One Piece and Naruto make in their fillers? The same first SnK Anime season changed something (not only censorship but even Annie reaction when caughted guilty and the apparitions of Reiner and Berthold kids inside the city after the first Colossal Titan attack, never happened in the manga), an OVA filler not written by the author can't be considered so serious.

  10. #25
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Country
    The Wall
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One thing I noticed in the new OVA

    Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    This new OVA imho is simply s**t. I mean: PURE OLD STYLE JAPANESE FILLER S**T ^^
    I AGREEEEE! I don't get why japanese filler eps are so bad. I mean bad. Like, I want to phyiscally assault a producer. If they were to just pull random fans from the streets or read some forums (i.e. mangahelpers) they could get amazing stories to supplement the canon works. Not only that, there are canon visual novels that can be animated too. Why not make ACWNR? What gives?
    My username honor's Balto-go's awesome Japanese pronunciation of a certain SnK Garrison Commander's name.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts