Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: players in No Man's Land

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

players in No Man's Land

One thing I noticed in NPOT is that players are usually show standing in No Man's Land, the area between the base line and the service line. It's a bad place to be in real life, and it'd be even worse in POT given any halfway decent player can hit he ball precisely to the baseline 99.9% of the time. Or is this why we're always shown a guy hitting a winner to the baseline, since most people are too dumb to stand behind it?

In fact, techniques like World of Ice and Atobe Kingdom would be very ineffective against someone who is standing behind the baseline, because you'll likely end up seeing the blind spot as behind the baseline, which is useless because that'd be out of bounds. I think all instances of AK/World of Ice was used when the opponent is standing ahead of the baseline, though that's probably just because people in POT always stand ahead of the baseline.

I wonder if this is going to be an international thing, like "OMG these team USA guys knows to stand behind the baseline, half of our techniques that depends on the opponent standing in the wrong place all the time no longer works!"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: players in No Man's Land

It just occurred to me that Fuji knew this concept all along. In the Nationals in Inui's Dream, Niou was using the Meteor Lob which is presumably a very hard to see shot, so Fuji backed up behind the baseline so he can see the shot! No wonder he's the genius!

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

People don't go the baseline because as long as you are towards Middle Tier in this series, you can hit a Grand Slam level drop shot without effort.

Momoshiro Takeshi VS various opponents but notably Oshitary Yushi,
    Oshitari Yushi VS Momoshiro Takeshi
    Shiraishi Kuranosuke VS Fuji Shusuke
    Tezuka Kunimitsu VS Kite Eishirou
    Echizen Ryoma VS Tanishi Kei
    Irie Kanata VS Atobe Keigo
    Tooyama Kintaro VS Oni Juujiro

I could go on but it'd be boring.
    Basically standing at the base line is just as vulnerable a stance as standing anywhere else on the court which is what makes the series work so well. How could you think you'd found a massive flaw?
    All the players I've listed have effortlessly hit drop shots in mid rally. Drop shots are just as dangerous as winners towards the baseline.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably also done to make it look more impressive when a shot goes past a player, leaving them unable to react. Regarding KnS, players have blind spots in front of them too as shown here: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/prince...s/c299/13.html So standing farther back wouldn't make a difference for Atobe's moves.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Jyten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    People don't go the baseline because as long as you are towards Middle Tier in this series, you can hit a Grand Slam level drop shot without effort.

Momoshiro Takeshi VS various opponents but notably Oshitary Yushi,
    Oshitari Yushi VS Momoshiro Takeshi
    Shiraishi Kuranosuke VS Fuji Shusuke
    Tezuka Kunimitsu VS Kite Eishirou
    Echizen Ryoma VS Tanishi Kei
    Irie Kanata VS Atobe Keigo
    Tooyama Kintaro VS Oni Juujiro

I could go on but it'd be boring.
    Basically standing at the base line is just as vulnerable a stance as standing anywhere else on the court which is what makes the series work so well. How could you think you'd found a massive flaw?
    All the players I've listed have effortlessly hit drop shots in mid rally. Drop shots are just as dangerous as winners towards the baseline.
    Higa should have no excuse though. They have shukuchi to make drop shots seemingly ineffective. The limits of PoT abilities/skills seem to have tiers of usefulness. If they guy your playing is above your "tier" your special ability is almost auto screwed (Ryoma/Tanishi, Tezuka/Kite).

Swear, PoT is easier to understand once you think of all the players like Pokemon with lvls. Your move might be "super effective" against your opponent but if he's 30 lvls above you. You're still screwed.
    Dang, starting to get too old for manga and anime....

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member iceemperor's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest a player is either far behind the baseline or around no man's land. I always find myself either behind the baseline or in no man's land even though i know i was told by my coach not to be there. Its just that the average shot will land around the service line or a little in no man's land. It becomes easiest to return it on the rise here. But in POT its to make it cooler and to show those shots that fly past the players.

New Reply