Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The Origins of Titans & The Founders

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member POW's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up The Origins of Titans & The Founders

Okay so I have this loose theory on why the Titan's exists and where they may have come from.

The Research

- I think that before the Titans came about the world may have already been going through some kind of struggle like a world war or some kind of plague. It was during this time that there was a core group of what I will call the Founderswho began researching the mysterious of the human body.

I think that the original purpose of this research was not to create some kind of weapon or anything like the Titans but rather to improve the human condition. I believe this was the true purpose in that they were seeking some kind of immortality and perfect health type research that would allow humans to evolve into super humans. I believe they may have found some kind of hidden energy in human cells or even cross genetic research of adding something else to human cells to gain super regenerating abilities and some how transforms sunlight into a source of power/energy like plants.

( If you look at what the Shifters are capable of it does seem there are some obvious benefits from being able to transform into a Titan such as regenerating limbs and Yamir was wandering around for 60 years yet seems fairly young. )

The unintended side effect of this research was the unstable transformation that leads to Titans. Like any research it takes time to perfect thus the first tests where likely failures that are the regular human eating instinct driven Titans. Though they showed great promise via regenerating powers that their research was on the right track they lacked intelligence and where violent. This habit of trying to eat other humans may be due to their instability and that eating is basic instinct to receive nourishment and in a way they are seeking to fill the instability they sense within themselves but are too unintelligent to understand how.

Factions

The Founders probably had a disagreement on how to proceed which eventually led to a split of factions. These factions each had distinct agenda and each may have had certain aspect of the original research but none had all the pieces of it as it was split up and unfinished.

Full Titan Faction:This group may have thought that being able to transform into full Titan form and remain that way indefinitely was the end goal. A true evolution from simple human to a god like being. However such an endeavor would require huge sacrifices and most people are probably not compatible for this thus these were people willing to sacrifice the rest of mankind so that select few could achieve god hood. I believe this group is responsible for the turning the masses of people in the world into titans as part of the goal.

FYI: The Beast Titan is probably a direct member or decedent of this group given his ability to transform people into Titans plus his ability to speak in titan form.

City Builder Faction: This is the group who long before set up building the city which the story takes place. They used their knowledge of Titan research to construct the 3 walls of the city and build their Utopian society. They saw Titans as being tools but where not necessarily interested in becoming them just controlling them for their own ends. This group was likely made up of wealthy people who wanted to retain their lifestyle or people who still had an attachment to humanity in some form.

The 3 walls probably represent 3 different families that originally founded the city. The Reiss family is just 1/3 of this. This group probably originally had the coordinate power but lost it or used it up after building the city

The Lost Faction: This group probably wasn't interested in joining the other 2 factions but choose to go their own way. One idea is originally maybe they choose to try and fight against the "Full titan Faction" rather than hide behind walls but they were overwhelmed and eventfully gave up that goal. They are probably the original founders of the home where Annie, Reiner & Bertolt come from.

Their goal may have changed overtime from defeat the Titans to preserve what they can using their own methods. Thus they may have saved some people who where turned into Titans and returned them back to human from via their research. Thus why they felt that humanity had no chance & only a small number could be saved.

This group developed a method of creating the shifters and I think it may also be where Eren's father comes from. Eren's father may be a defector from this group to the city in order to give humanity a fighting chance. He probably grew tiered of their pessimistic way of thinking and wanted to restore hope to humanity.

Values

Each of the 3 groups have different values that affect their outlook and agendas:

Full Titan faction - Ideological who fully embrace fate and sacrifice to bring about great change.

City Builders faction - Opportunist who believe control can be maintained and thus manipulating Titans and people as tools to protect their vision of utopia.

The Lost faction - Pragmatic bordering on pessimistic look at reality. This is why they don't just join the city builders and maintain an isolated existence for survival.

How this connects to the current story:

Given my description of the city builders it would seem that they have no interest in trying to defeat the Titans because that would mean people are free to leave and would no longer have to look to them for leadership. Their goal is to maintain their vision of utopia and maintain control over all of humanity. Remember before the Shifters broke down the wall they were perfectly safe from titans behind their wall. The wall probably did more than just physically shield them but it also blocked other Titans from sensing humans behind the wall.

The reason why they let the scouting legion outside the walls was probably to identify any potential outside threats to their utopia. However another more sinister reason was to get rid of potentially dangerous elements of their society. They fully expected them to have high casualty rates and many of them to die and bring this horrifying information back to the city thus building the mythos that surviving outside the walls is impossible and humanity only hope us inside the walls thus "pay your taxes and be thankful".

People who think outside the box and ask too many questions in this society are considered dangerous but having to kill them all of via assassinations would be too obvious and possibly create a rebellion. Thus simply allowing people with such thoughts to be able to wander outside where it is dangerous and get themselves killed off on their own accord is more agreeable to the powers in charge. They never expected the scouting legion to find anything useful expect maybe some potential threats.

They don't want the people to know they know how to control Titans as people might start to demand they use that power to fight them and thus they loose the illusion of paradise.

Everything we see in the story now is based the falling out of these 3 factions

Well that's the rough idea so any thoughts?
    Last edited by POW; August 26, 2014 at 05:04 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Origins of Titans & The Founders

I have read many theories about the Origins of the Titans, but none of them fully convinced me. Until now...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Maxtina's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Very creative . . .

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member POW's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Grisha Yeager:

So I wanted to expand upon another idea I had about Eren's father being from the outside rather than from the cities inner circle. Part of the reason this seems more likely is that fact that he lives in Shiganshina district furthest away from the center town. If he was really one of the inner circle of knowledge he would be living closer to center of town where his research could be of most use.

I think it's possible that he may have originally been a spy from the titan shifter camp sent to keep tabs on the on-goings of the city and continue research for answers. The answer they were looking for is the "coordinate" as I don't think any group had it at that time but the city builders were the last group to possess it so he came to research.

If I remember correctly he became semi famous after he cured a disease that was spreading through out the city. It may be possible he may even engineered that event in order to gain the reputation necessary to gain access to the inner circle. However the plague may have have also been a natural event he used his talent to solve. In any case he spent some time traveling back and forth to the center districts so I think he was gathering secret research under the guise of a doctor.

The culmination of all his years of research was what he put into his son.

I also think the amnesia-mysterious woman may be a genetic memory that is passed down to the Eren because of the injection. Historia probably has this because of her bloodline once had the coordinate power.

On another thought I'm thinking that that mystery woman is like a barrier placed in ones mind when they start having certain thoughts it is activated and blocks the memory.
    Last edited by POW; September 01, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

New Reply