Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Plot Explained! My Theory on History of Snk and the Walls, Origin of Titans, Titan Shifters, Homeland.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner xDollfie's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Plot Explained! My Theory on History of Snk and the Walls, Origin of Titans, Titan Shifters, Homeland.

W . A . R . N . I . N. G

This article contains extreme heavy SPOILERS, especially for viewers of the Anime. I will be talking about some very spoilery stuff here.

If you are not up to date with the manga, keep in mind that I will be talking about the events that happened in the manga to back my speculation up. If you do not care about spoilers, feel free to read on. Obviously, this goes without saying: This is a SPECULATION. You are free to disagree/agree. Please be reminded that this article doesn’t mean to make any definitive claims!!! (:

For your reference to how far this will spoil the Manga for you, I have read up the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin to date, which is Chapter 60. So please, I don't want any one cursing me for spoiling the Manga for them. You have been warned.

I will be including manga scans in this article, but I have wrapped it in the spoiler tags for your reading pleasure.

--------------

*EXTREMELY LENGTHY POST*

Introduction:

I think we can all agree that anime world of Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan is extremely realistic; from Isayama-san going all 'Game of Thrones' on us and killing characters after we have grown attached to them to how brutally realistic it is in terms of human behavior. Also, every thing seem to be relied soley on Science, no voodoo magic and all that jazz here what so ever. Aside from the mystery of the humanoid grotesque looking man-eating creatures called Titans, every thing seems to be pretty realistic and based on Science, like for example - the 3D Maneuver Gear. I am sure many would agree with me when I say that everything in Shingeki No Kyojin seem to have some sort of believable scientific background.

So, we as the readers are made to believe that Titans are not created by some 'Magical Wizard powers', but actually from science instead.

Can anyone just imagine some weird magical powers popping out of a sudden? :/ No, I don't think so.

One example is that Eren's ability to Titan Shift is given to him by the power of science, via a chemical injection by Dr. Jaeger, his father.

With that out of the way, let's proceed to our analysis.

SO WHAT ARE TITANS REALLY?

Like with any other great Titan Theory, let's begin our analysis with one of our favorite fanatical scientist, Hanji Zoe's theories. In chapter 51, after the supposed breach of Wall Rose: It has been revealed that Titans are actually once, humans.

Spoiler show

Awhile Hanji had stressed to Levi that it is merely a theory and that there is no solid proof yet. We can't deny that there is glaring evidence that heavily implies that Titans were indeed once humans. These evidence are taken from the SnK Manga, Chapter 51.

1) Residences of the Village were destroyed from explosives from within, but despite such obvious evidence, there isn't a trace of blood. Plus, they haven't found a single Ragako Village resident.

2) Total numbers of Titans that appeared during the breach of Wall Rose equals to exactly the number of Ragako Village residents.

3) Connie's mom is the immobile Titan found at the village. The portrait of his mother bears a striking resemblance to the Titan, and the Titan said "Welcome home" to Connie once.

Therefore considering that the above is true, Hanji's theory about Titans being once humans is very, very accurate with substantial evidence to back it up. So, it's pretty safe to say that we, as the readers, agree that Titans were indeed once humans.

Spoiler show

So, if all Titans are actually once human, how did it happen? Why did it happen? Now before we get onto that, let's go over the basic Titan characteristics.

I believe that these are the Titans characteristics that we can all agree on.

1) Titans seek out and devour humans for reasons currently unknown, as they do not derive any real sustenance from them; they did not taste human flesh for nearly a century after the walls went up, but this did not affect their activity or numbers.

2) Once a Titan has filled what passes for its stomach with dead humans, it regurgitates them in a giant ball and continues eating more as soon as possible.

3) They do seem to become less active at night or if deprived of sunlight, and so it may be possible they draw their primary source of energy from the sun.

4) Titans possesses incredible regenerative abilities - the only sure way to kill them is by slicing out the nape of the back of the neck. They regenerate lost and damaged body parts within seconds to minutes

5) Many Titans ignore injuries such as losing limbs, impaled through heart, or having their eyes gouged out. If injured, some will have an reaction that might be pain but more accurately it seems more like annoyance. An example would be in Hanji's experiments Bean shrieked in pain when she gouged it's eyes while Sonny seem oblivious to the fact that she had impaled him through the heart.

6) They charge towards any Humans, armed or not and robotically proceed to attempt to eat whichever human is close to them.

Therefore, while certainly not immortal, Titans are incredibly powerful.

Which brings me to this speculation:

Titans were actually developed to be use as a Human Weapon.

Now before you go all 'Oh damn, it's one of those stupid theories again', hear me out. After listing out all of their characteristic: wouldn't Titans be perfect to be used as a human weapon?

The Titans only have a singular purpose. They seem to only exist in order to kill humans through ingesting them. However, after consuming them, they vomit them back up, heavily implying that their desire to hunt isn’t for mere survival purposes.

In fact they make the perfect soldiers to fight wars in my opinion. They do not care about their injuries and certainly do not feel pain. They are not afraid of death. They possess regenerative abilities. They have no need to feed, hence saving money and cost. Also. guns have little affect on them.

Most importantly, this would explain the mystery behind why Titans need to kill when they do not have to the need to feed. The instinct was genetically programmed into their brain: Titans have the instinct to consume humans, not animals, only humans.

Titans are the perfect killing machine for Humans.

Spoiler show

This is taken from Chapter 12 ( Page 15 ), where Commander Pixis had stated that before this land fell under the Titan control: Humanity continually tore itself apart over the differences in race or principles. Let's us assume this is actually a fact and that Humanity was indeed at War back before Titans raged.

Which brings me to the next speculation.

Monarchy knows about the Origin of Titans and why they are created.

If you read the recent updates of the manga, you would know that Monarchy is being a total asshole right now - they want Eren and Historia and would do anything to get their hands on them, even going as far as killing the Survey Corps. They obviously know something about Titans in the wall and possibly much more about Titans, especially the Wall Cult.

Spoiler show

It is heavily implied that the REAL king, Rod Reiss is the man behind everything, and the manga has stated that the Reiss Family is "Privy to the secrets of the Titans in the Wall". So it is safe to assume that the higher ups do know about the origins of Titans most possibly from the secrets passed down from thru generations (as said by Pastor Nick).

So what if...

Monarchy was the one who ordered the created of Titans?

And if Titans are indeed product of science, then there has to be a genius scientist who created them right?

So let's make an imaginary scientist for now... I have a speculation that this 'scientist' or 'creator' might be actually be a past King (an ancestor of the Reiss Family), but there is no evidence to back that up that theory, so you can decide for yourself if it is another person who create Titans because of orders from the higher ups or Monarchy themselves who got their hands dirty and created the Titans by themselves.

Let's call him this imaginary scientist, Dr. X (Yeah real creative). He was probably alive more than 100 years ago before Titans lived. Humanity was at war back then.

Monarchy needed to develop a weapon that far surpasses their enemies to win Wars, given the fact that SnK is a very realistic manga. In my opinion, Monarchy being a greedy asshole is actually pretty easy to imagine since they have been revealed in the recent updates to be self-centered and extremely corrupted.

Dr. X was able to create what he called – ‘ in destructive Human weapons (aka Titans)’ by creating a mutant potion that allowed humans soldiers to transform into large, humanoid with amazing regenerative abilities. They were almost invincible, needing only to live of sun energy and had an immortal life span if their napes weren't cut. They were the perfect human weapon.

I don't know how he did it - there are just no hints nor clues so far to how he had created the serums so I can't come up with a theory on how. Take note that is just a speculation.

With that said, let's get back to the topic we were talking about just now. If all Titans are actually once human, how did it happen? Why did it happen?

Which brings me to this point: The Beast Titan is said by Ymir to be directly responsible for the appearance of Titans within Wall Rose.

THE BEAST TITAN

Spoiler show

I am sure we can agree on that the Beast Titans is no Ordinary Titan and there is a high like hood that it is not a Titan Shifter as well. To prove my point I am going to list it's characteristics.

1) It is revealed that the Beast Titan possess some unknown means to transform humans into Titans.

2) It is seen to be able to fully communicate with other Titans and give orders to them. (Chapter 35, Page 40)

3) They could communicate to human as well. (Eren couldn't speak in his Titan form during Hanji's experiment, Annie as well and Ymir had to stick her head out of her Titan Form in order to talk to Krista.) (Chapter 35, Page 38)

4) Unlike Eren, Annie and the rest of the Titan shifters. Titans DO NOT attack the Beast Titan. (Chapter 35)

5) The Beast Titan possess intelligence. (Chapter 35, Page 36)

6) Titans created by the Beast Titan do not possess intelligence, they are just like any other Titan, mindless creatures simply driven by the instinct to feed on humans. (Chapter 35)

So based on this, what if the first successful Titan that was ever created was none other than the ‘Beast Titan’?

The first generation of Titans or 'Beast Titan' had the ability to fully communicate awhile in its form, possess great physical strength and also has the the trait to be change Humans into Titans.

But that also brings up another question: What about all of the other Titans, the so called 'Normal' Titans?

Well, deriving from the fact that the Beast Titan can turn humans into Titans and that Titans created by the Beast Titan were nothing more than mindless creatures that devoured humans without restraint...

What if the Beast Titan is actually the progenitor of ALL Titans?

Let's get back to the speculation with our imaginary scientist Dr. X for now so I can state my reasons.

So somehow along the story, Monarchy probably enlisted the Beast Titan as a human weapon during a war. Havoc broke lose when the humans turned into Titans could not control their Titan form and attacked all humans (allies/enemies) alike, devouring them.

This is the beginning of the Titans age.

However, some of you may argue - "Why the hell would monarchy stupidly allow the Beast Titan into the battle field when the Titans he created can not control themselves? Surely they must have taken some precaution."

Well to answer your question, we would have to go back to the Connie's mother that turned into a Titan once again.

From the manga what we do know is that: Connie's mom, even when in her Titan form spoke to Connie and recognizes him, telling him "Welcome home" when she saw her son.

From this, we can say that the Connie's mother Titan DID possesses a little bit of intelligence. She recognizes Connie and even spoke. *Do take note that during this arc, there's no saying how long had passed after the residents of the Village had been turned into Titans. In fact, based on the Manga - several hours since the first sighting of Titans has already passed when the events took place.*

Which brings me to this debate: What if the Titans turned by the Beast Titan, slowly lose their unconscious and control of their Titan over a span of time?

Since Connie's mom no longer talked or possess any form of intelligence by the time Hanji's squad went back to the village for the second time to investigate, I believe that is highly possible.

Spoiler show

Freshly 'made' Titans also possess the ability to be mobile in the night, I am theorizing that they still have as 'energy' stored in their body because they have JUST been transformed into Titans. They are using energy that they possessed when they were still humans in order to move, but sooner or later after they use it all up and they will become immobile at night like any other ordinary Titan.

It is also stressed heavily in the Manga that Titans are highly unpredictable, so I theorized that Monarchy unleashed the Beast Titan into the battle field without unknowing about that the Titans created would soon lose the control over time.

Plus, there are always bound to be failures in experiments right?

During this point of time, Monarchy was outraged at the failure of the destructive human weapons (Titans) and ordered for the ‘Beast Titan’ as well as every Titan to be eradicated due to it's unpredictable nature and for Dr. X's project terminated because of it’s failure.

However, there was an error of judgement again. While it was easy to eliminate all the mindless Titans, the Beast Titan possesses intelligence. I don't know if there is only one Beast Titan in the world, they could be more - it's heavily implied in the manga, but there are no other hints to back this up though.

When the Beast Titan had overheard the conversation that he is to be disposed, he (or they if there are many other successful specimens) rebelled against Humanity and in turn, fought against them, his motivation was revenge for being treated as nothing more than a specimen.

It's pretty easy for the Beast Titan to escape if you think about it: Turn the people who tried to kill him into Titans, ordered the Titans to kill the Military, and then escape.

In spiteful vengeance, he created more mindless Titans, further killing off a large chunk of Humanity.

It's highly unlikely that the Beast Titan can revert back to a human because as stated before, they are not a Titan Shifter because Titans simply do not attack them, heavily implying that it's body is of a true Titan. Then again, please note that I am just assuming.

Following that disaster, Monarchy was obviously shaken by the amount of damaged caused by the Titans, seeing them as a immense threat to Humanity, they ordered Dr. X to develop another serum, a more advanced potion. Dr. X successfully developed a new race of Titans thanks to the data he had collected with the Beast Titans experiments in order to counter attack the Titan outbreak that threatened to wipe out Humanity.

He injected a bunch of soldiers the modified serum that would allow them to shift into Titan Form and retain their Human Form (so that would be controllable and retain their conscious when in the Titan Form). They were many times stronger than normal titans and had special traits based on the individual. These newly evolved advanced Titans were called them ‘Warriors’ or ‘Titan Shifter’.

Warriors/Titan Shifter were created to KILL Titans.

These ‘Warriors’ was originally created as a weapon to counter attack the Titans, seeing that Humanity was not so advanced to take them down on their own. Do note that they did not have 3DMG back then, 3DMG was developed 60 years before Wall Maria Fell.

Spoiler show

But having the 'Warriors' wasn’t enough to eradicate all Titans. It was realized that the Titan frightening power came in their numbers and that the Titan Shifters were not immune to the Titan’s attacks like the Beast Titans. Titans feasted on the 'Warriors'. This also bought along the discovery that when ‘Titans Shifters’ are devoured, the advanced serum in their bodies were passed on to the mindless Titans – granting them the power of Titan Shifting.

To back that speculation up, let's go through the clues/evidence from the manga.

1) Titan Shifter are still hunted down by regular Titans even in their Titan Form.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

2) Abilities such a Coordinate/Titan Shifting can be transferred if another Titan eats a Titan Shifter.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

The so called 'Warriors' could not fully dissolve the Titan Threat as expected, there were just too many Titans in the world by now.

Over time, Titans were beginning to be a serious threat to humanity when the Beast Titan started turning more humans to Titans, and at the rate things were going, Humanity was about to be driven to a point of extinction.

They needed a way to control the Titans. With the new data he gathered from his semi-successful Titan Shifter serum, Dr. X began on developing a miraculous serum something he would called the ‘Coordinate’ – an ability to control the much weaker mindless Titans and it was injected it into the first Coordinate Titan Shifter.

But of course, Humanity has probably learned by now: What if this experiment is a failure again? What if the Coordinate can not truly protect Humanity?

At the rate things were going, Humanity was in dire circumstances. Titans were devouring humans left and right, and if not stopped, Humanity would be completely wiped out.

Humanity needed assurance, a back up plan. So they developed three impermeable immense Walls as a fortress should things fail once again.

HISTORY OF THE WALLS.

I am sure many of you have seen this. There is actually TEXT concerning a little bit on how Humanity came to live in the walls on inside covers of the Visual Manga book, if you haven't seen it, here the link:

http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

I give all credits to the awesome translator. Thank you for your hard work!

I would like to quote on the translation:

"Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans."

"In the new world, great walls had previously been prepared."

Assuming that the above is true, we can say that Humanity knew that this was coming - they were prepared for it in advanced! Think about it for awhile, do you really think that three GIGANTIC walls can be built overnight?

Nope, I don't think so.

Even if we were to say that the walls were made of Titan's hardening ability, yes it would certainly be faster but the area in the wall is HUGE, there are even mountains in it! So I am going to assume that the minimum time needed for travel and so forth.... Maybe a few month at the very least? A year? I don't know.

But one thing is clear: Humanity saw this coming.

Well to be more exact, Monarchy saw this coming. If we were to say that they were the true culprits over why Titans were actually created, I think that makes sense.

WALL TITANS

Now, we all know that the there are Wall Titans sandwiched within the walls, they are basically used as Pillars to support them. From what I observed, these Wall Titans were not like the ordinary Titan or even an aberrant Titan. They resemble the Colossal Titan no?

Their massive height and the same skinless features, yeah you know were I am going with this - I strongly believe that the Titans inside the walls are Titan Shifters and that the Walls were actually made of their Hardening ability.

Spoiler show

With that said, this brings the question: Did the Titans Shifters in the wall become Pillars it willing? Or were they forced to?

I am going to bet that they were forced to. Any one would like to stay sandwiched in the Wall for thousands of years to come? Nope, I don't think so... Well maybe they are a few valiant good Titan Shifting folks who would play hero and sacrifice themselves for Humanity.

But how longs are the walls? EXTREMELY long. With that said, how many Titan Shifters are needed to become pillars to establish the Walls? 50? 100? Your guess is as good as mine, but what I am trying to say is that the number of Wall Titans needed to create such a large and long wall is probably pretty big.

With that said, this makes me arrive at a conclusion: It's highly unlikely that ALL of the Wall Titans are used as pillars willingly, maybe some are willing, but it's unlikely that all are.

So how did they create the Walls? How do you force Titans Shifters to become Pillars?

The answer is: The Coordinate.

There is no specific term for the Titan that possess the Coordinate power... So I am going to call that special Titan the 'Coordinate Titan Shifter.' (How original, lol). Using it's power, they forced the Titans Shifters to become pillars, and hence, three massive Walls were created - Wall Sina, Wall Rose, Wall Maria.

HUMANITY'S FLEE TO THE WALLS.

Obviously somehow their plans use the Coordinate to eliminate all of the Titans did not work otherwise SnK wouldn't even exist now. But the Coordinate did managed to do something - awhile the walls were building, the Coordinate Titan Shifter along with all Titan Shifter/Warriors kept all the mindless Titans away and allowed the surviving humans that came on ships from all parts of the world to seek refuge into the Wall safely.

Have any one ever thought about it? How can Humans from all over the world flee to the Walls when there are Titans outside? Surely they must have some help.

As I have quoted from the translation before - "Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans."

Again the quote 'the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans' heavily implies that many humans were killed by in Wars that Humans started due to differences in beliefs and so forth.

Quote from translation: "Those who gained passage aboard the ships were only a small fraction composed of the rich and powerful."

But you may ask: "If this was the case, then why are there no history of how the Titans came to be?"

Well because, selected bunch of wealthy humans were allowed to live in it to preserve the Human race, but only under the condition that their memories were to be altered using the Coordinate’s powers so that they can hide the truth of the Monarchy's incompetence and allow to king rule over the people without any revolt.

To back that theory up, I am going to quote from our favorite blonde Survey Corps commander with awesome eyebrows.

Spoiler show

I would have to agree with Erwin on this one (plus his predictions and theories are dead on most of the times) It's a good explanation for why no one knows how Titans came to be yes?

Spoiler show

Erwin also theorizes that Eren's Coordinate can be used to alter and manipulate memories. It is very believable theory because he stated that Monarchy only started to want to get their hands on Eren after they heard of his 'Coordinate' powers. It's a very, very reasonable explanation in my opinion. (You go, Erwin!)

But you may ask: Why did Monarchy want to alter all the inhabitants memories?

Because, they are the responsible for the creation of Titans and plunging mankind into despair by driving them to the brink of extinction. Would you like to be ruled over someone who had condemned you to live behind walls forever because of their incompetence?

*Note: The people who once came from the world outside is used to freedom because they did not live in confined Walls before.*

Well, maybe some of you might be fine with that, but surely there would be a few who starts a revolt.

To back that up, I am going to quote from the translation before again:

"Within these walls are the ideals of humanity."

"Within these walls, let us create a world eternally without strife."

I would like to stress that the writings in the inside Cover were most likely written by Monarchy themselves, the translation is from the first page in the first Chapter, so these are probably taken from History books that Monarchy distributed. (The History books are filled with lies and made up history, probably also very bias towards Monarchy.)

Monarchy in all are just a corrupted bunch of 'fat pigs' (as quoted from Levi, hehe) who only wants to protect their status. If the 'truth' that they were behind the creation of Titans were revealed, the people will all revolt and they would lose everything.

Spoiler show

This would also be a plausible explanations to why Monarchy eliminates every one who tries to get to learn the 'truth'.They are afraid of losing their rights to govern, their power, and wealth. Hence this is reason why Erwin's dad was killed because he tried to get 'close to the truth'.

Think about it a for moment: Why does Monarchy try so hard to prevent people from knowing more about Titans? The information about Titans are crucial to Humanity, why are they keeping it to themselves? Every one in the Walls are all Human right, so why not share your knowledge?

Well, if Monarchy was the reason why Titans even exist, wouldn't that answer the questions?

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Everyone to tried to understand about the 'Contradictions in the history books distributed by Monarchy' (Quote by Erwin's dad) is eliminated in order to protect the 'Ideals' of Monarchy and ensure that no revolt would erupt - 'a world eternally without strife'

All the Wall Resident's ancestors who wants to live in the Walls had their memories altered and or erased - this includes their memories of the freedom outside the Walls, the memories of how Monarchy was the cause behind the Titan outbreak that almost wiped out Humanity and so forth...

I believe that the Wall Residents ancestors were willing to have their memories altered since the Walls were the only way to ensure their safety. Imagine if you were to given an ultimatum: Live in the walls and have your memories altered, or stay outside the walls and get devoured by Titans.

Yeah... So my guess is that the parties were willing to have their memories altered.

Now that we got that out of the way. Let's focus back on my speculation again.

HOW THE HOMELAND CAME TO BE.

Now we all know that the homeland is a mysterious place outside the walls where it's residents possess a peculiar trait of Titan Shifting. They also call themselves 'Warriors'. Here is my guess on how the Homeland came to be.

As I have stated before, the Wall Titans Shifters were most probably forced against their wills into being pillars. So what about the rest of the 'Warriors' that weren't used for pillars? I mean surely Monarchy had set aside a bunch of Titan Shifter for the purpose of using them as weapons to protect the remaining mankind right?

So I speculated that Monarchy had underestimated the Titan Shifters once again.

Unhappy with their comrades being sacrificed as Pillars to maintain the Walls from being destroyed by Titans and also struck with fear that they would be deposed of after Humanity was protected (like the Beast Titan) – the Titan Shifters rebelled, stealing the first Coordinate Titan Shifter as well as recipe needed to developed serums for Titan Shifter.

The 'Warriors' lived outside the walls in exile, creating what they called the ‘Homeland’. For a nearly a century, they lived in their Homeland safely thanks to their Titan Shifting Powers as well the Coordinate's powers to ward off any Titans.

I assumed this based on fact that Reiner, Bertolt and Annie are desperately searching for this 'Coordinate', hence there is a high possibility that the Coordinate was in their possession for the past couple of years. If not, why are they only searching for Coordinate only after 100 years? It just doesn't make sense to me.

We do know that Titan Shifters age. Eren was injected just after Wall Maria fell and he was just a kid back then. Seeing that he did indeed grow taller and so forth, I assumed that Titan Shifters do age.

*NOTE: This does not apply to Ymir, because she was did not possess any Titan Shifting capabilities for the past 60 years. So I guess it's safe to assume that Titans do not age in their Titan Form, but when they revert back to their Human form they do age.*

It's impossible to stay in your Titan Form forever since it's pretty much exhausting and takes a toll on the body (Annie slept for a long time after shifting and based on Hanji Experiments with Eren in Chapter 53, Eren couldn't in stay in his full Titan form for more than an hour).

Hence, Titan Shifter do age in the end.

Spoiler show

So assuming that Titan shifters do age, I theorized that Coordinate power was passed to the younger generations for years whenever the host was old, ensuring the continuation of Peace in the homeland. They also injected Titan Shifter powers to selected and specially trained children of the homeland and named them Warriors of the Homeland, who defended their lands from Titans. (As seen in the Anime/Manga, Annie was thought martial arts at a young age by her father.)

But this brings out a question: "Is there only one 'Coordinate'?"

My guess would be yes. Reason being is that Annie and the rest of the kids from the homeland are desperately trying to get their hands on it, so is Monarchy - if there is more than one, why do they need another?

In all, this 'Coordinate' is the reason why the events in Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin started. (We will come back to this point later)

So based on the speculation that there is only one Coordinate and that Eren gotten his Titans powers and the Coordinate from his father, we have to focus on Dr. Grisha Yeager.

We all know that Dr. Grisha Yeager was the one who gave Eren his powers, so that makes for another question: Just how did Grisha even get his hands on the Coordinate power in the first place?

DR. GRISHA YEAGER

I am sure that we readers can all agree that Dr. Grisha Yeager is a extremely clever and talented man. He was responsible for saving hundreds of lives from a plague that hit mankind after all. But why does a mere doctor know so much about Titans?

My guess is that he is once a scientist living in the homeland responsible for developing the Titan Shifting serum, which explains his knowledge on the creating Serums. Though this doesn't explain how he gotten his hands on the Coordinate.

So this is what I theorized...

THE MYSTERIOUS WOMAN USE TO BE A COORDINATE TITAN SHIFTER.

If you don't know who the Mysterious Woman, here's a picture of her from Wiki.

Yes, this is the woman in Eren's dreams and the same woman that Historia saw in her dreams. There is no official name for her yet, so she is called 'The Mysterious Woman' in Wikipedia by fans. Not much is known about her, but I theorized that she is the 'Coordinate Titan Shifter'.

Why you may ask? Well, this theory is based on just two but important hints/clues given to us in the manga so far.

The mysterious woman was able to erase Historia's memory of meeting her.

Spoiler show

If we were to say that she was a Coordinate Titan Shifter, this would make sense as to why she had the power to alter/manipulate Historia's memories. As we theorized before, the Coordinate has the power to change the memories of the ancestors of the Wall residents' when they first came to the Wall.

Plus, the little 'zap' on Historia head looks like the same as the 'zap' Eren activated when he used his Coordinate power for the first time. (Only smaller and more toned down)

Spoiler show

Now remember the time Dr. Grisha Yeager brutally jabbed a sobbing Eren with the Titan Shifter serum?

Spoiler show

As quoted - "As for the way to use it, THEIR memories should teach you what you need to know."

*Note: For the 'Use it' part, Grisha is talking about the Titan Shifting Powers he had injected into Eren. I can't upload the whole conversation here because that would make it too long. You can go back to the Chapter 10 for reference.*

Now Isayama-san, thank you for leaving us confused again, when I first read this I was like "What the hell does he mean by THEIR memories?!" But in the recent chapters, I managed to piece together a theory that fits with what Grisha actually meant back then.

Spoiler show

Firstly, let's focus of the surroundings in the manga scan above. The Mysterious Woman is looking at herself IN the mirror. Ok, then let's look at her background, is there another person there? No. So, Eren is actually seeing her from her own perspective, while she looks into a mirror.

Spoiler show

Secondly, I want to bring up a point. How can you have a memory of someone you have never met before? It's impossible. Some might argue that "Oh, Eren suffers from memory loss because of the Titan Shifting Serum that Dr. Grisha Yeager injected him with!"

But since a mirror is reflective and that there is CLEARLY no one in the background, the only plausible explanation is that Eren is tapping in The Mysterious Woman's memories. This was what Grisha meant by 'THEIR' memories - along with the Coordinate, some of the memories of the previous Coordinate Titan Shifter were transferred as well!

Is it a mere coincidence that Eren suddenly remembers the Mysterious Woman when he thinks of his father? I think not. Isayama-san does everything for a reason I believe.

My speculation is that, since the Coordinate was once in the hands of the homeland people, and Grisha was from the homeland as I theorized earlier. Both the Mysterious Woman and Grisha Yeager came from homeland, and somehow ended up meeting in the Walls. I am guessing that they fled to the Walls together to make it seem more realistic.

I know what some of you are thinking right now: "Are you trying to tell me that Eren real mom is This Mysterious Woman?"

No, because I have nothing to back that up with. Sure, the Mysterious Woman might be a little identical to Eren from physical traits like her black hair and eyes, but that is it. You can choose what you want to believe in. Maybe she is, maybe she is not. Honestly, I am not sure myself because there is so little information about her.

With that said, I do not think that the Mysterious Woman and Grisha are in love either. My reason is that the timeline of the events just do not add up together.

Historia is the same age as Eren: 15 (I just wiki-ed it, and googled for their official Character sheets to double confirm). If the Mysterious Woman met Historia when she was younger, this means that Eren would have already been born since he is the same age as her. So it's safe to say the Mysterious Woman is still alive at this point.

I am guessing that Historia would probably be like... 9 - 10 years old or something. If this was the case, why did Eren live with his Kalura Yeager instead of the Mysterious Woman? If Grisha loved the Mysterious Woman, he would have been with her instead right?

Maybe something happened between them... But I can't say for sure. Maybe Kalura adopted him? Maybe the Mysterious Woman altered Eren's memories of her? You are free to come up with your own guesses because for this, I have no clue.

Hey, I didn't say my theory was perfect!

But if the Mysterious Woman is a Coordinate Titan Shifter, then she probably is involved with Grisha somehow because in the end, the Coordinate powers ends up in his hands after all.

By assuming that both Dr. Grisha Yeager and the Mysterious Woman were originally from the Homeland and they fled to the Walls together. It makes for another glaring question.

Why did they run from the homeland and to the Wall?

From the little interactions that we have seen with this two very mysterious characters, we can tell they have a relatively good and kind-hearted nature. Grisha saved many from humans from the plague and the Mysterious Woman teaches Historia how to read and tells her to become a kind person.

So, I have theorized they fled the Walls because of a common idealistic dream: They wanted to eradicate all Titans from earth so that Humanity could live in freedom again.

But of course, the people of the Homeland shunned their ideals because they were merely a small group of people, there was no way that they could face off that many Titans.

Do take note that the people of the Homeland did not share the Coordinate powers or Titan Shifting serums with the people of within the Walls. This was something that both Grisha and the Mysterious Woman did not agree, believing that all the remaining Humanity must unite together in order to fight Titans.

Motivated by their goals, Dr. Grisha Yeager and the Mysterious Woman fled to the Walls where Humanity had built and changed their names, going into hiding.

Because there is so little known about these two Characters, I am just going to assume that the Mysterious Woman died by some cause. Dr. Grisha Yeager extracted the ‘Coordinate’ powers from her and made it into a serum, he experimented on it in his basement before that he injected into Eren. (I will explain why I speculated this later when we move on to Annie & co).

THE WARRIORS' MISSION.

One of the main and most aggravating mystery surrounding Shingeki No Kyojin is the reason why Annie and the rest wanted to destroy the Wall and wipe out Humanity out of the blue.

I mean, Humanity lived in peace for a century right? So why are the people of the Homeland suddenly attacking humanity after a long period of peace?

Well, remember how I said that the 'Coordinate' is the reason why the events in Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin started? Yeah well, this is where this fits in.

Back in the Homeland, its inhabitants were in a panic because the Coordinate powers were stolen from them since it was one of the ways they ensured peace by warding off all approaching Titans. Also they feared that Humanity might try to use the 'Coordinate' power and order the Titan Shifters in the homeland to become new Walls in order to expand their territory.

But with that said, they couldn’t possibly go after Grisha and the Mysterious Woman because the walls were made of Titans Shifters, hence they can’t break it down and their Titan Form did not have enough power to destroy the gates.

After years of living in fear and their members depleting each time a Titan attacked. Four of their Warriors had received unique and extremely powerful Titan forms when injected (Each form is different and varied from person to person, as seen by all the current Titan Shifters) and were sent off on a mission to retrieve back the Coordinate.

You got to admit, Bertolt, Annie, Reiner, Titans Form were pretty bad ass and very unique.

Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel (who Ymir ate) were these selected children. Annie’s father was devastated when their leader decided that she would be sent back to the Walls on a mission to retrieve back the Coordinate (this would mean killing humans) and apologies to his daughter for being too greedy and injecting the serum into her because he wanted her to be able to protect herself from Titans.

Spoiler show

Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel were burdened with the task of retrieving back the Coordinate. This is their 'Mission', I am assuming that they wasn't to Kill Humans, they were forced to by their parents and the people of their homeland.

Perhaps they were threatened to leave the Homeland and travel to the Wall for the Mission, or maybe the leaders of their homeland held their family hostages, but one thing for sure, the four Warriors did not want to kill humans and are guilt - stricken.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

I really don't think that Reiner and the rest want to go on the Mission to the Walls to get back the Coordinate, this would obviously mean killing humans. But perhaps they really didn't have a choice.

Spoiler show

The above conversation shows that Reiner and the rest really didn't have a choice. They couldn't return "empty-handed". They were probably victims as well. So I am going to assume that the four Warriors are actually good-people at heart and not the true antagonist here. (I admit, I am a little bias because I like them, but hey! I have reasons to believe it!)

Spoiler show

Their 'Mission' is fairly simple: Retrieve back the Coordinate at all cost, regardless of the casualties.

Sent off from their mission, they launched a desperate attack on Humanity to draw out the Coordinate, breaking down Wall Maria and unleashing Titans into the walls. They didn’t know if the Coordinate power had been passed on and there was no way of detecting who has it. For all they knew, it could be any human by now.

So with this in mind, they released the Titans into the Wall, hoping that if the Titans consumed all the humans, they would eventually devour the Coordinate power, and then the Titan Shifters could easily consume the Titan, hence gaining back the Coordinate power either way. The attack on Humanity was also meant as a way to draw out the Coordinate Titan, there's a high like-hood that the Mysterious Woman would transform and fight them in order to protect the resident in the Walls.

This mission proved unsuccessful when the Coordinate Power was nowhere in Wall Maria and there was no appearance of the Coordinate Titan. Feeling immense guilt after seeing helpless humans devoured Titans because of their selfish inhumane mission, they opted for a different approach.

The small homeland group infiltrated the Walls and joined as soldiers – to gain information on the Wall Cult (they knew for a fact that there are still people aka Monarchy who knew about the true Origins of Titans and hence, know about the Coordinate power).

This would also explain why they wanted to capture Kirsta. In case Eren was not the Coordinate - perhaps Kirsta from the Wall Cult family knew something about it's location.

Spoiler show

Infiltrating as soldiers also meant that they could gather information on how the Military works because they are after all, outcast and villains in the walls.

During in this time, Dr. Grisha Yeager, feeling guilt and regret that his actions had caused many lives. He injected the Coordinate power into his son, Eren Yeager telling him that ‘their’ memories will teach him out to use it. His purpose is for Eren to free Humanity from Titans and to prevent the selfish Homeland people from obtaining it selfishly for their own use (note that the people of the homeland did not share their powers with the people in the walls).

Spoiler show

What is probably in the basement is true History of the Titans, as well as serums for Titans Shifting. I have a theory about how Shingeki No Kyojin will end and some minor plot mysteries like the whole Ackerman/Oriental theory, but let's save that for another article.

At this point either: Grisha gets consumed by Eren and dies, hence unlocking his Titan powers or he goes into hiding.

For three years, Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel trained as Soldiers, but they secretly investigated the Wall Cult, hoping that they could gain some information about the Coordinate. But unfortunately, it seems that the Wall Cult doesn't even know that the Coordinate are within the Walls and they were running out of time.

So, they launched another desperate attack on Humanity once again. This time kicking down Wall Trost in hopes to lure the Coordinate Titan out.

This would also explain why Reiner and the rest waited 4 years after they destroyed Wall Maria to kick down Wall Rose's Trost gate. IF they really wanted to destroy Humanity in the first place, COULDN'T they just do it all at once? I am pretty sure if on that day where Wall Maria fell, they could have just kept on smashing through the gates all the way to Wall Sina since Humanity was so unprepared.

Spoiler show

During the battle of Trost District and breach of Wall Rose, Eren Yeager transforms into his Titan form and the homeland team. Finally getting a lead somewhere, they plotted their next attack which is to retrieve Eren as he is suspected to be the 'Coordinate Titan'. This would also solve the puzzle in why they stopped midway their attack when they saw Eren.

Eren is the 'greater importance' - another Titan Shifter would mean a high chance that he has the Coordinate power.

MONARCHY ALSO WANTS THE COORDINATE POWER.

This is pretty much self-explanatory, we all know that Monarchy is not desperately trying to get their hands on Eren after they discovered that he is 'Coordinate'.

Spoiler show

This heavily implies that some of the higher ups (Perhaps Rod Reiss himself) have Titan Shifting abilities. Dr. X was still alive when the Warriors of the Homeland rebelled, so he could have developed more serums for Monarchy in case the Warrior were to ever attack.

Some of you might argue: "If Monarchy has Titan Shifters on their side, then why didn't they just launch a attack on the Homeland and gain back the Coordinate?"

Well, this is because it is heavily implied and stressed that Coordinate power is most SUPERIOR form of Titan Shifting powers.

Spoiler show

The above picture only proves just how powerful the Coordinate power is - it easily overwhelmed Reiner the Armored Titan by getting all the mindless Titans to attack him. Reiner and Bertolt hardly made it out alive even with Ymir's help. So obviously, Monarchy couldn't be reckless and attack the Homeland. The Coordinate power would simply overwhelm them.

To sum it all up in the end: The entire plot revolves around a battle between Monarchy, the Survey Corps and Homeland for the 'Coordinate' powers.

THE END.
    ---------------

Thank you for reading!

I would like to say again that these are all just PURE speculations that I have derived out of all the clues and hints given so far on the manga. I am not saying that I am right in anyway! I brainstormed abit on this, it's like a puzzle with a lot of missing pieces. I hope I didn't miss any major mystery or left any major plot holes.

To be honest, I came up with this theory for my Fanfiction that I am currently writing because I wanted a rather believable plot. So, I re-read the entire Manga and spend a day piecing together clues and stuff and ended up with this. LOL. Just thought to share my theories!

Please do understand that there are just too many plot holes in the Shingeki No Kyojin manga and there are so little hints, so I can not say for sure that I am very confident in my speculations/theories. I did try to do my best with what I had though.

You can choose to believe this theory or dismiss it as being too far fetched. Do let me know what you think about my theory as well, or perhaps you found something odd with it?

Isayama-san is known for his jarring plot twist, so just who knows how the Manga would end? (:

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Cheers,
    xDollfie
    Last edited by xDollfie; September 01, 2014 at 06:08 AM.

2. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member POW's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plot Explained! My Theory on History of Snk and the Walls, Origin of Titans, Titan Shifters, Homeland.

Well it's slightly different from my theory but there are some similarities. However I think the idea that Titans were created purely as weapons is a bit too simplistic. I had originally thought the same thing but as weapons they are bit too unpredictable like releasing a virus which is hard to control. Hence why I lean towards different factions of Titan researchers with different agendas.

I do think this late in the manga it is obvious that the secret society within the walls main interest is maintaining control over society. I don't think they necessarily needed a special power to manipulate peoples memories. They can do that by confiscating all books from the outside world and rewriting their own vision of history. Using real life examples you could compare this to North Korea using endless propaganda and ban on all outside influences.

I also had the same idea Eren's father came from outside the walls from the titan shifter camp.

As for that mysterious woman I didn't write about that in my theory but was going to add something.

One thing I have been conflicted about is where the coordinate came from and if there are multiple ones. My best guess is it is simply a rare genetic ability that only select few possess. My guess is that at one point the city builders had it but they lost it or used it's power up.

Feel free to read my theory as well I'm going to add some stuff there soon: Click here

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plot Explained! My Theory on History of Snk and the Walls, Origin of Titans, Titan Shifters, Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    Well it's slightly different from my theory but there are some similarities. However I think the idea that Titans were created purely as weapons is a bit too simplistic. I had originally thought the same thing but as weapons they are bit too unpredictable like releasing a virus which is hard to control. Hence why I lean towards different factions of Titan researchers with different agendas.

I do think this late in the manga it is obvious that the secret society within the walls main interest is maintaining control over society. I don't think they necessarily needed a special power to manipulate peoples memories. They can do that by confiscating all books from the outside world and rewriting their own vision of history. Using real life examples you could compare this to North Korea using endless propaganda and ban on all outside influences.

I also had the same idea Eren's father came from outside the walls from the titan shifter camp.

As for that mysterious woman I didn't write about that in my theory but was going to add something.

One thing I have been conflicted about is where the coordinate came from and if there are multiple ones. My best guess is it is simply a rare genetic ability that only select few possess. My guess is that at one point the city builders had it but they lost it or used it's power up.

Feel free to read my theory as well I'm going to add some stuff there soon: Click here
    Interesting. However, I would have to disagree with you on the part that a special power is not needed to manipulate memories.

I do think that a special power is needed to manipulate people memories, awhile I do agree that it's easy to manipulate people's memories about the history by 'confiscating all the books from outside world and re-writing their own version' - but I feel that it's very unrealistic, these people did not have their memories manipulated, they were totally wiped out.

As I would quote from our handsome Commander Erwin - "Even if these mysterious weren't in the books, those from the first generation ought to be able to share their experiences with their children. In fact, to keep silent and keep the next generation away from regarding the world outside the walls would be close to impossible."

Even if all the government takes away all the books from the outside world, the first ancestors of the Wall Residents that once lived outside the wall should be able to possess memories of their life outside the wall. They should be able to pass on their knowledge to their children.

The residents in the Wall knew NOTHING about the world outside. Even if you say that maybe the truth got lost throughout the generations, it would be highly impossible because only 107 years had passed since Humanity had fled to the Walls. At most, I would say that it's only three generations, so how is it that no one has a single clue about the world outside?

Also, if there is no special power needed to manipulate memories, then it would contradict with the Mysterious Woman erasing Krista/Historia's memories with just a single zap. She did it in an instant with a knock to the head, pretty bizarre if you ask me.

Actually the theory with how the Coordinate was used to alter the first residents of the Walls was actually Erwin's theory in the manga. It's at Chapter 55.

Quoted from Erwin - "After obtaining confirmation are Ragako Village it is a fact that mankind and Titans are biologically related. The Titans might not be the only ones affected by the voice."

I do agree that Titans were developed for human weapons is a very simple idea. However as I theorized in the post above, the Beast Titan was developed as a Human Weapon, not the normal Titans. The Beast Titan isn't that unpredictable, it possess intelligence and has the power to communicate, plus they are not mindlessly driven to feed on humans.

As I said above, the theory is that it's the Beast Titan is the creator of all Titans. All normal Titans came from him and he had the ability to control Titans he created. But awhile the Titans would listen to him, it's the Titans he created that is the unpredictable one.

Remember the time when the Beast Titan ordered the Titan to stop feasting and he didn't obey? Yeah, I am guessing something like that happened.

I will definitely give your theory a read! (:

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xDollfie View Post
    W . A . R . N . I . N. G

This article contains extreme heavy SPOILERS, especially for viewers of the Anime. I will be talking about some very spoilery stuff here.

If you are not up to date with the manga, keep in mind that I will be talking about the events that happened in the manga to back my speculation up. If you do not care about spoilers, feel free to read on. Obviously, this goes without saying: This is a SPECULATION. You are free to disagree/agree. Please be reminded that this article doesn’t mean to make any definitive claims!!! (:

For your reference to how far this will spoil the Manga for you, I have read up the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin to date, which is Chapter 60. So please, I don't want any one cursing me for spoiling the Manga for them. You have been warned.

I will be including manga scans in this article, but I have wrapped it in the spoiler tags for your reading pleasure.

--------------

*EXTREMELY LENGTHY POST*

Introduction:

I think we can all agree that anime world of Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan is extremely realistic; from Isayama-san going all 'Game of Thrones' on us and killing characters after we have grown attached to them to how brutally realistic it is in terms of human behavior. Also, every thing seem to be relied soley on Science, no voodoo magic and all that jazz here what so ever. Aside from the mystery of the humanoid grotesque looking man-eating creatures called Titans, every thing seems to be pretty realistic and based on Science, like for example - the 3D Maneuver Gear. I am sure many would agree with me when I say that everything in Shingeki No Kyojin seem to have some sort of believable scientific background.

So, we as the readers are made to believe that Titans are not created by some 'Magical Wizard powers', but actually from science instead.

Can anyone just imagine some weird magical powers popping out of a sudden? :/ No, I don't think so.

One example is that Eren's ability to Titan Shift is given to him by the power of science, via a chemical injection by Dr. Jaeger, his father.

With that out of the way, let's proceed to our analysis.

SO WHAT ARE TITANS REALLY?

Like with any other great Titan Theory, let's begin our analysis with one of our favorite fanatical scientist, Hanji Zoe's theories. In chapter 51, after the supposed breach of Wall Rose: It has been revealed that Titans are actually once, humans.

Spoiler show

Awhile Hanji had stressed to Levi that it is merely a theory and that there is no solid proof yet. We can't deny that there is glaring evidence that heavily implies that Titans were indeed once humans. These evidence are taken from the SnK Manga, Chapter 51.

1) Residences of the Village were destroyed from explosives from within, but despite such obvious evidence, there isn't a trace of blood. Plus, they haven't found a single Ragako Village resident.

2) Total numbers of Titans that appeared during the breach of Wall Rose equals to exactly the number of Ragako Village residents.

3) Connie's mom is the immobile Titan found at the village. The portrait of his mother bears a striking resemblance to the Titan, and the Titan said "Welcome home" to Connie once.

Therefore considering that the above is true, Hanji's theory about Titans being once humans is very, very accurate with substantial evidence to back it up. So, it's pretty safe to say that we, as the readers, agree that Titans were indeed once humans.

Spoiler show

So, if all Titans are actually once human, how did it happen? Why did it happen? Now before we get onto that, let's go over the basic Titan characteristics.

I believe that these are the Titans characteristics that we can all agree on.

1) Titans seek out and devour humans for reasons currently unknown, as they do not derive any real sustenance from them; they did not taste human flesh for nearly a century after the walls went up, but this did not affect their activity or numbers.

2) Once a Titan has filled what passes for its stomach with dead humans, it regurgitates them in a giant ball and continues eating more as soon as possible.

3) They do seem to become less active at night or if deprived of sunlight, and so it may be possible they draw their primary source of energy from the sun.

4) Titans possesses incredible regenerative abilities - the only sure way to kill them is by slicing out the nape of the back of the neck. They regenerate lost and damaged body parts within seconds to minutes

5) Many Titans ignore injuries such as losing limbs, impaled through heart, or having their eyes gouged out. If injured, some will have an reaction that might be pain but more accurately it seems more like annoyance. An example would be in Hanji's experiments Bean shrieked in pain when she gouged it's eyes while Sonny seem oblivious to the fact that she had impaled him through the heart.

6) They charge towards any Humans, armed or not and robotically proceed to attempt to eat whichever human is close to them.

Therefore, while certainly not immortal, Titans are incredibly powerful.

Which brings me to this speculation:

Titans were actually developed to be use as a Human Weapon.

Now before you go all 'Oh damn, it's one of those stupid theories again', hear me out. After listing out all of their characteristic: wouldn't Titans be perfect to be used as a human weapon?

The Titans only have a singular purpose. They seem to only exist in order to kill humans through ingesting them. However, after consuming them, they vomit them back up, heavily implying that their desire to hunt isn’t for mere survival purposes.

In fact they make the perfect soldiers to fight wars in my opinion. They do not care about their injuries and certainly do not feel pain. They are not afraid of death. They possess regenerative abilities. They have no need to feed, hence saving money and cost. Also. guns have little affect on them.

Most importantly, this would explain the mystery behind why Titans need to kill when they do not have to the need to feed. The instinct was genetically programmed into their brain: Titans have the instinct to consume humans, not animals, only humans.

Titans are the perfect killing machine for Humans.

Spoiler show

This is taken from Chapter 12 ( Page 15 ), where Commander Pixis had stated that before this land fell under the Titan control: Humanity continually tore itself apart over the differences in race or principles. Let's us assume this is actually a fact and that Humanity was indeed at War back before Titans raged.

Which brings me to the next speculation.

Monarchy knows about the Origin of Titans and why they are created.

If you read the recent updates of the manga, you would know that Monarchy is being a total asshole right now - they want Eren and Historia and would do anything to get their hands on them, even going as far as killing the Survey Corps. They obviously know something about Titans in the wall and possibly much more about Titans, especially the Wall Cult.

Spoiler show

It is heavily implied that the REAL king, Rod Reiss is the man behind everything, and the manga has stated that the Reiss Family is "Privy to the secrets of the Titans in the Wall". So it is safe to assume that the higher ups do know about the origins of Titans most possibly from the secrets passed down from thru generations (as said by Pastor Nick).

So what if...

Monarchy was the one who ordered the created of Titans?

And if Titans are indeed product of science, then there has to be a genius scientist who created them right?

So let's make an imaginary scientist for now... I have a speculation that this 'scientist' or 'creator' might be actually be a past King (an ancestor of the Reiss Family), but there is no evidence to back that up that theory, so you can decide for yourself if it is another person who create Titans because of orders from the higher ups or Monarchy themselves who got their hands dirty and created the Titans by themselves.

Let's call him this imaginary scientist, Dr. X (Yeah real creative). He was probably alive more than 100 years ago before Titans lived. Humanity was at war back then.

Monarchy needed to develop a weapon that far surpasses their enemies to win Wars, given the fact that SnK is a very realistic manga. In my opinion, Monarchy being a greedy asshole is actually pretty easy to imagine since they have been revealed in the recent updates to be self-centered and extremely corrupted.

Dr. X was able to create what he called – ‘ in destructive Human weapons (aka Titans)’ by creating a mutant potion that allowed humans soldiers to transform into large, humanoid with amazing regenerative abilities. They were almost invincible, needing only to live of sun energy and had an immortal life span if their napes weren't cut. They were the perfect human weapon.

I don't know how he did it - there are just no hints nor clues so far to how he had created the serums so I can't come up with a theory on how. Take note that is just a speculation.

With that said, let's get back to the topic we were talking about just now. If all Titans are actually once human, how did it happen? Why did it happen?

Which brings me to this point: The Beast Titan is said by Ymir to be directly responsible for the appearance of Titans within Wall Rose.

THE BEAST TITAN

Spoiler show

I am sure we can agree on that the Beast Titans is no Ordinary Titan and there is a high like hood that it is not a Titan Shifter as well. To prove my point I am going to list it's characteristics.

1) It is revealed that the Beast Titan possess some unknown means to transform humans into Titans.

2) It is seen to be able to fully communicate with other Titans and give orders to them. (Chapter 35, Page 40)

3) They could communicate to human as well. (Eren couldn't speak in his Titan form during Hanji's experiment, Annie as well and Ymir had to stick her head out of her Titan Form in order to talk to Krista.) (Chapter 35, Page 38)

4) Unlike Eren, Annie and the rest of the Titan shifters. Titans DO NOT attack the Beast Titan. (Chapter 35)

5) The Beast Titan possess intelligence. (Chapter 35, Page 36)

6) Titans created by the Beast Titan do not possess intelligence, they are just like any other Titan, mindless creatures simply driven by the instinct to feed on humans. (Chapter 35)

So based on this, what if the first successful Titan that was ever created was none other than the ‘Beast Titan’?

The first generation of Titans or 'Beast Titan' had the ability to fully communicate awhile in its form, possess great physical strength and also has the the trait to be change Humans into Titans.

But that also brings up another question: What about all of the other Titans, the so called 'Normal' Titans?

Well, deriving from the fact that the Beast Titan can turn humans into Titans and that Titans created by the Beast Titan were nothing more than mindless creatures that devoured humans without restraint...

What if the Beast Titan is actually the progenitor of ALL Titans?

Let's get back to the speculation with our imaginary scientist Dr. X for now so I can state my reasons.

So somehow along the story, Monarchy probably enlisted the Beast Titan as a human weapon during a war. Havoc broke lose when the humans turned into Titans could not control their Titan form and attacked all humans (allies/enemies) alike, devouring them.

This is the beginning of the Titans age.

However, some of you may argue - "Why the hell would monarchy stupidly allow the Beast Titan into the battle field when the Titans he created can not control themselves? Surely they must have taken some precaution."

Well to answer your question, we would have to go back to the Connie's mother that turned into a Titan once again.

From the manga what we do know is that: Connie's mom, even when in her Titan form spoke to Connie and recognizes him, telling him "Welcome home" when she saw her son.

From this, we can say that the Connie's mother Titan DID possesses a little bit of intelligence. She recognizes Connie and even spoke. *Do take note that during this arc, there's no saying how long had passed after the residents of the Village had been turned into Titans. In fact, based on the Manga - several hours since the first sighting of Titans has already passed when the events took place.*

Which brings me to this debate: What if the Titans turned by the Beast Titan, slowly lose their unconscious and control of their Titan over a span of time?

Since Connie's mom no longer talked or possess any form of intelligence by the time Hanji's squad went back to the village for the second time to investigate, I believe that is highly possible.

Spoiler show

Freshly 'made' Titans also possess the ability to be mobile in the night, I am theorizing that they still have as 'energy' stored in their body because they have JUST been transformed into Titans. They are using energy that they possessed when they were still humans in order to move, but sooner or later after they use it all up and they will become immobile at night like any other ordinary Titan.

It is also stressed heavily in the Manga that Titans are highly unpredictable, so I theorized that Monarchy unleashed the Beast Titan into the battle field without unknowing about that the Titans created would soon lose the control over time.

Plus, there are always bound to be failures in experiments right?

During this point of time, Monarchy was outraged at the failure of the destructive human weapons (Titans) and ordered for the ‘Beast Titan’ as well as every Titan to be eradicated due to it's unpredictable nature and for Dr. X's project terminated because of it’s failure.

However, there was an error of judgement again. While it was easy to eliminate all the mindless Titans, the Beast Titan possesses intelligence. I don't know if there is only one Beast Titan in the world, they could be more - it's heavily implied in the manga, but there are no other hints to back this up though.

When the Beast Titan had overheard the conversation that he is to be disposed, he (or they if there are many other successful specimens) rebelled against Humanity and in turn, fought against them, his motivation was revenge for being treated as nothing more than a specimen.

It's pretty easy for the Beast Titan to escape if you think about it: Turn the people who tried to kill him into Titans, ordered the Titans to kill the Military, and then escape.

In spiteful vengeance, he created more mindless Titans, further killing off a large chunk of Humanity.

It's highly unlikely that the Beast Titan can revert back to a human because as stated before, they are not a Titan Shifter because Titans simply do not attack them, heavily implying that it's body is of a true Titan. Then again, please note that I am just assuming.

Following that disaster, Monarchy was obviously shaken by the amount of damaged caused by the Titans, seeing them as a immense threat to Humanity, they ordered Dr. X to develop another serum, a more advanced potion. Dr. X successfully developed a new race of Titans thanks to the data he had collected with the Beast Titans experiments in order to counter attack the Titan outbreak that threatened to wipe out Humanity.

He injected a bunch of soldiers the modified serum that would allow them to shift into Titan Form and retain their Human Form (so that would be controllable and retain their conscious when in the Titan Form). They were many times stronger than normal titans and had special traits based on the individual. These newly evolved advanced Titans were called them ‘Warriors’ or ‘Titan Shifter’.

Warriors/Titan Shifter were created to KILL Titans.

These ‘Warriors’ was originally created as a weapon to counter attack the Titans, seeing that Humanity was not so advanced to take them down on their own. Do note that they did not have 3DMG back then, 3DMG was developed 60 years before Wall Maria Fell.

Spoiler show

But having the 'Warriors' wasn’t enough to eradicate all Titans. It was realized that the Titan frightening power came in their numbers and that the Titan Shifters were not immune to the Titan’s attacks like the Beast Titans. Titans feasted on the 'Warriors'. This also bought along the discovery that when ‘Titans Shifters’ are devoured, the advanced serum in their bodies were passed on to the mindless Titans – granting them the power of Titan Shifting.

To back that speculation up, let's go through the clues/evidence from the manga.

1) Titan Shifter are still hunted down by regular Titans even in their Titan Form.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

2) Abilities such a Coordinate/Titan Shifting can be transferred if another Titan eats a Titan Shifter.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

The so called 'Warriors' could not fully dissolve the Titan Threat as expected, there were just too many Titans in the world by now.

Over time, Titans were beginning to be a serious threat to humanity when the Beast Titan started turning more humans to Titans, and at the rate things were going, Humanity was about to be driven to a point of extinction.

They needed a way to control the Titans. With the new data he gathered from his semi-successful Titan Shifter serum, Dr. X began on developing a miraculous serum something he would called the ‘Coordinate’ – an ability to control the much weaker mindless Titans and it was injected it into the first Coordinate Titan Shifter.

But of course, Humanity has probably learned by now: What if this experiment is a failure again? What if the Coordinate can not truly protect Humanity?

At the rate things were going, Humanity was in dire circumstances. Titans were devouring humans left and right, and if not stopped, Humanity would be completely wiped out.

Humanity needed assurance, a back up plan. So they developed three impermeable immense Walls as a fortress should things fail once again.

HISTORY OF THE WALLS.

I am sure many of you have seen this. There is actually TEXT concerning a little bit on how Humanity came to live in the walls on inside covers of the Visual Manga book, if you haven't seen it, here the link:

http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

I give all credits to the awesome translator. Thank you for your hard work!

I would like to quote on the translation:

"Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans."

"In the new world, great walls had previously been prepared."

Assuming that the above is true, we can say that Humanity knew that this was coming - they were prepared for it in advanced! Think about it for awhile, do you really think that three GIGANTIC walls can be built overnight?

Nope, I don't think so.

Even if we were to say that the walls were made of Titan's hardening ability, yes it would certainly be faster but the area in the wall is HUGE, there are even mountains in it! So I am going to assume that the minimum time needed for travel and so forth.... Maybe a few month at the very least? A year? I don't know.

But one thing is clear: Humanity saw this coming.

Well to be more exact, Monarchy saw this coming. If we were to say that they were the true culprits over why Titans were actually created, I think that makes sense.

WALL TITANS

Now, we all know that the there are Wall Titans sandwiched within the walls, they are basically used as Pillars to support them. From what I observed, these Wall Titans were not like the ordinary Titan or even an aberrant Titan. They resemble the Colossal Titan no?

Their massive height and the same skinless features, yeah you know were I am going with this - I strongly believe that the Titans inside the walls are Titan Shifters and that the Walls were actually made of their Hardening ability.

Spoiler show

With that said, this brings the question: Did the Titans Shifters in the wall become Pillars it willing? Or were they forced to?

I am going to bet that they were forced to. Any one would like to stay sandwiched in the Wall for thousands of years to come? Nope, I don't think so... Well maybe they are a few valiant good Titan Shifting folks who would play hero and sacrifice themselves for Humanity.

But how longs are the walls? EXTREMELY long. With that said, how many Titan Shifters are needed to become pillars to establish the Walls? 50? 100? Your guess is as good as mine, but what I am trying to say is that the number of Wall Titans needed to create such a large and long wall is probably pretty big.

With that said, this makes me arrive at a conclusion: It's highly unlikely that ALL of the Wall Titans are used as pillars willingly, maybe some are willing, but it's unlikely that all are.

So how did they create the Walls? How do you force Titans Shifters to become Pillars?

The answer is: The Coordinate.

There is no specific term for the Titan that possess the Coordinate power... So I am going to call that special Titan the 'Coordinate Titan Shifter.' (How original, lol). Using it's power, they forced the Titans Shifters to become pillars, and hence, three massive Walls were created - Wall Sina, Wall Rose, Wall Maria.

HUMANITY'S FLEE TO THE WALLS.

Obviously somehow their plans use the Coordinate to eliminate all of the Titans did not work otherwise SnK wouldn't even exist now. But the Coordinate did managed to do something - awhile the walls were building, the Coordinate Titan Shifter along with all Titan Shifter/Warriors kept all the mindless Titans away and allowed the surviving humans that came on ships from all parts of the world to seek refuge into the Wall safely.

Have any one ever thought about it? How can Humans from all over the world flee to the Walls when there are Titans outside? Surely they must have some help.

As I have quoted from the translation before - "Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans."

Again the quote 'the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans' heavily implies that many humans were killed by in Wars that Humans started due to differences in beliefs and so forth.

Quote from translation: "Those who gained passage aboard the ships were only a small fraction composed of the rich and powerful."

But you may ask: "If this was the case, then why are there no history of how the Titans came to be?"

Well because, selected bunch of wealthy humans were allowed to live in it to preserve the Human race, but only under the condition that their memories were to be altered using the Coordinate’s powers so that they can hide the truth of the Monarchy's incompetence and allow to king rule over the people without any revolt.

To back that theory up, I am going to quote from our favorite blonde Survey Corps commander with awesome eyebrows.

Spoiler show

I would have to agree with Erwin on this one (plus his predictions and theories are dead on most of the times) It's a good explanation for why no one knows how Titans came to be yes?

Spoiler show

Erwin also theorizes that Eren's Coordinate can be used to alter and manipulate memories. It is very believable theory because he stated that Monarchy only started to want to get their hands on Eren after they heard of his 'Coordinate' powers. It's a very, very reasonable explanation in my opinion. (You go, Erwin!)

But you may ask: Why did Monarchy want to alter all the inhabitants memories?

Because, they are the responsible for the creation of Titans and plunging mankind into despair by driving them to the brink of extinction. Would you like to be ruled over someone who had condemned you to live behind walls forever because of their incompetence?

*Note: The people who once came from the world outside is used to freedom because they did not live in confined Walls before.*

Well, maybe some of you might be fine with that, but surely there would be a few who starts a revolt.

To back that up, I am going to quote from the translation before again:

"Within these walls are the ideals of humanity."

"Within these walls, let us create a world eternally without strife."

I would like to stress that the writings in the inside Cover were most likely written by Monarchy themselves, the translation is from the first page in the first Chapter, so these are probably taken from History books that Monarchy distributed. (The History books are filled with lies and made up history, probably also very bias towards Monarchy.)

Monarchy in all are just a corrupted bunch of 'fat pigs' (as quoted from Levi, hehe) who only wants to protect their status. If the 'truth' that they were behind the creation of Titans were revealed, the people will all revolt and they would lose everything.

Spoiler show

This would also be a plausible explanations to why Monarchy eliminates every one who tries to get to learn the 'truth'.They are afraid of losing their rights to govern, their power, and wealth. Hence this is reason why Erwin's dad was killed because he tried to get 'close to the truth'.

Think about it a for moment: Why does Monarchy try so hard to prevent people from knowing more about Titans? The information about Titans are crucial to Humanity, why are they keeping it to themselves? Every one in the Walls are all Human right, so why not share your knowledge?

Well, if Monarchy was the reason why Titans even exist, wouldn't that answer the questions?

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Everyone to tried to understand about the 'Contradictions in the history books distributed by Monarchy' (Quote by Erwin's dad) is eliminated in order to protect the 'Ideals' of Monarchy and ensure that no revolt would erupt - 'a world eternally without strife'

All the Wall Resident's ancestors who wants to live in the Walls had their memories altered and or erased - this includes their memories of the freedom outside the Walls, the memories of how Monarchy was the cause behind the Titan outbreak that almost wiped out Humanity and so forth...

I believe that the Wall Residents ancestors were willing to have their memories altered since the Walls were the only way to ensure their safety. Imagine if you were to given an ultimatum: Live in the walls and have your memories altered, or stay outside the walls and get devoured by Titans.

Yeah... So my guess is that the parties were willing to have their memories altered.

Now that we got that out of the way. Let's focus back on my speculation again.

HOW THE HOMELAND CAME TO BE.

Now we all know that the homeland is a mysterious place outside the walls where it's residents possess a peculiar trait of Titan Shifting. They also call themselves 'Warriors'. Here is my guess on how the Homeland came to be.

As I have stated before, the Wall Titans Shifters were most probably forced against their wills into being pillars. So what about the rest of the 'Warriors' that weren't used for pillars? I mean surely Monarchy had set aside a bunch of Titan Shifter for the purpose of using them as weapons to protect the remaining mankind right?

So I speculated that Monarchy had underestimated the Titan Shifters once again.

Unhappy with their comrades being sacrificed as Pillars to maintain the Walls from being destroyed by Titans and also struck with fear that they would be deposed of after Humanity was protected (like the Beast Titan) – the Titan Shifters rebelled, stealing the first Coordinate Titan Shifter as well as recipe needed to developed serums for Titan Shifter.

The 'Warriors' lived outside the walls in exile, creating what they called the ‘Homeland’. For a nearly a century, they lived in their Homeland safely thanks to their Titan Shifting Powers as well the Coordinate's powers to ward off any Titans.

I assumed this based on fact that Reiner, Bertolt and Annie are desperately searching for this 'Coordinate', hence there is a high possibility that the Coordinate was in their possession for the past couple of years. If not, why are they only searching for Coordinate only after 100 years? It just doesn't make sense to me.

We do know that Titan Shifters age. Eren was injected just after Wall Maria fell and he was just a kid back then. Seeing that he did indeed grow taller and so forth, I assumed that Titan Shifters do age.

*NOTE: This does not apply to Ymir, because she was did not possess any Titan Shifting capabilities for the past 60 years. So I guess it's safe to assume that Titans do not age in their Titan Form, but when they revert back to their Human form they do age.*

It's impossible to stay in your Titan Form forever since it's pretty much exhausting and takes a toll on the body (Annie slept for a long time after shifting and based on Hanji Experiments with Eren in Chapter 53, Eren couldn't in stay in his full Titan form for more than an hour).

Hence, Titan Shifter do age in the end.

Spoiler show

So assuming that Titan shifters do age, I theorized that Coordinate power was passed to the younger generations for years whenever the host was old, ensuring the continuation of Peace in the homeland. They also injected Titan Shifter powers to selected and specially trained children of the homeland and named them Warriors of the Homeland, who defended their lands from Titans. (As seen in the Anime/Manga, Annie was thought martial arts at a young age by her father.)

But this brings out a question: "Is there only one 'Coordinate'?"

My guess would be yes. Reason being is that Annie and the rest of the kids from the homeland are desperately trying to get their hands on it, so is Monarchy - if there is more than one, why do they need another?

In all, this 'Coordinate' is the reason why the events in Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin started. (We will come back to this point later)

So based on the speculation that there is only one Coordinate and that Eren gotten his Titans powers and the Coordinate from his father, we have to focus on Dr. Grisha Yeager.

We all know that Dr. Grisha Yeager was the one who gave Eren his powers, so that makes for another question: Just how did Grisha even get his hands on the Coordinate power in the first place?

DR. GRISHA YEAGER

I am sure that we readers can all agree that Dr. Grisha Yeager is a extremely clever and talented man. He was responsible for saving hundreds of lives from a plague that hit mankind after all. But why does a mere doctor know so much about Titans?

My guess is that he is once a scientist living in the homeland responsible for developing the Titan Shifting serum, which explains his knowledge on the creating Serums. Though this doesn't explain how he gotten his hands on the Coordinate.

So this is what I theorized...

THE MYSTERIOUS WOMAN USE TO BE A COORDINATE TITAN SHIFTER.

If you don't know who the Mysterious Woman, here's a picture of her from Wiki.

Yes, this is the woman in Eren's dreams and the same woman that Historia saw in her dreams. There is no official name for her yet, so she is called 'The Mysterious Woman' in Wikipedia by fans. Not much is known about her, but I theorized that she is the 'Coordinate Titan Shifter'.

Why you may ask? Well, this theory is based on just two but important hints/clues given to us in the manga so far.

The mysterious woman was able to erase Historia's memory of meeting her.

Spoiler show

If we were to say that she was a Coordinate Titan Shifter, this would make sense as to why she had the power to alter/manipulate Historia's memories. As we theorized before, the Coordinate has the power to change the memories of the ancestors of the Wall residents' when they first came to the Wall.

Plus, the little 'zap' on Historia head looks like the same as the 'zap' Eren activated when he used his Coordinate power for the first time. (Only smaller and more toned down)

Spoiler show

Now remember the time Dr. Grisha Yeager brutally jabbed a sobbing Eren with the Titan Shifter serum?

Spoiler show

As quoted - "As for the way to use it, THEIR memories should teach you what you need to know."

*Note: For the 'Use it' part, Grisha is talking about the Titan Shifting Powers he had injected into Eren. I can't upload the whole conversation here because that would make it too long. You can go back to the Chapter 10 for reference.*

Now Isayama-san, thank you for leaving us confused again, when I first read this I was like "What the hell does he mean by THEIR memories?!" But in the recent chapters, I managed to piece together a theory that fits with what Grisha actually meant back then.

Spoiler show

Firstly, let's focus of the surroundings in the manga scan above. The Mysterious Woman is looking at herself IN the mirror. Ok, then let's look at her background, is there another person there? No. So, Eren is actually seeing her from her own perspective, while she looks into a mirror.

Spoiler show

Secondly, I want to bring up a point. How can you have a memory of someone you have never met before? It's impossible. Some might argue that "Oh, Eren suffers from memory loss because of the Titan Shifting Serum that Dr. Grisha Yeager injected him with!"

But since a mirror is reflective and that there is CLEARLY no one in the background, the only plausible explanation is that Eren is tapping in The Mysterious Woman's memories. This was what Grisha meant by 'THEIR' memories - along with the Coordinate, some of the memories of the previous Coordinate Titan Shifter were transferred as well!

Is it a mere coincidence that Eren suddenly remembers the Mysterious Woman when he thinks of his father? I think not. Isayama-san does everything for a reason I believe.

My speculation is that, since the Coordinate was once in the hands of the homeland people, and Grisha was from the homeland as I theorized earlier. Both the Mysterious Woman and Grisha Yeager came from homeland, and somehow ended up meeting in the Walls. I am guessing that they fled to the Walls together to make it seem more realistic.

I know what some of you are thinking right now: "Are you trying to tell me that Eren real mom is This Mysterious Woman?"

No, because I have nothing to back that up with. Sure, the Mysterious Woman might be a little identical to Eren from physical traits like her black hair and eyes, but that is it. You can choose what you want to believe in. Maybe she is, maybe she is not. Honestly, I am not sure myself because there is so little information about her.

With that said, I do not think that the Mysterious Woman and Grisha are in love either. My reason is that the timeline of the events just do not add up together.

Historia is the same age as Eren: 15 (I just wiki-ed it, and googled for their official Character sheets to double confirm). If the Mysterious Woman met Historia when she was younger, this means that Eren would have already been born since he is the same age as her. So it's safe to say the Mysterious Woman is still alive at this point.

I am guessing that Historia would probably be like... 9 - 10 years old or something. If this was the case, why did Eren live with his Kalura Yeager instead of the Mysterious Woman? If Grisha loved the Mysterious Woman, he would have been with her instead right?

Maybe something happened between them... But I can't say for sure. Maybe Kalura adopted him? Maybe the Mysterious Woman altered Eren's memories of her? You are free to come up with your own guesses because for this, I have no clue.

Hey, I didn't say my theory was perfect!

But if the Mysterious Woman is a Coordinate Titan Shifter, then she probably is involved with Grisha somehow because in the end, the Coordinate powers ends up in his hands after all.

By assuming that both Dr. Grisha Yeager and the Mysterious Woman were originally from the Homeland and they fled to the Walls together. It makes for another glaring question.

Why did they run from the homeland and to the Wall?

From the little interactions that we have seen with this two very mysterious characters, we can tell they have a relatively good and kind-hearted nature. Grisha saved many from humans from the plague and the Mysterious Woman teaches Historia how to read and tells her to become a kind person.

So, I have theorized they fled the Walls because of a common idealistic dream: They wanted to eradicate all Titans from earth so that Humanity could live in freedom again.

But of course, the people of the Homeland shunned their ideals because they were merely a small group of people, there was no way that they could face off that many Titans.

Do take note that the people of the Homeland did not share the Coordinate powers or Titan Shifting serums with the people of within the Walls. This was something that both Grisha and the Mysterious Woman did not agree, believing that all the remaining Humanity must unite together in order to fight Titans.

Motivated by their goals, Dr. Grisha Yeager and the Mysterious Woman fled to the Walls where Humanity had built and changed their names, going into hiding.

Because there is so little known about these two Characters, I am just going to assume that the Mysterious Woman died by some cause. Dr. Grisha Yeager extracted the ‘Coordinate’ powers from her and made it into a serum, he experimented on it in his basement before that he injected into Eren. (I will explain why I speculated this later when we move on to Annie & co).

THE WARRIORS' MISSION.

One of the main and most aggravating mystery surrounding Shingeki No Kyojin is the reason why Annie and the rest wanted to destroy the Wall and wipe out Humanity out of the blue.

I mean, Humanity lived in peace for a century right? So why are the people of the Homeland suddenly attacking humanity after a long period of peace?

Well, remember how I said that the 'Coordinate' is the reason why the events in Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin started? Yeah well, this is where this fits in.

Back in the Homeland, its inhabitants were in a panic because the Coordinate powers were stolen from them since it was one of the ways they ensured peace by warding off all approaching Titans. Also they feared that Humanity might try to use the 'Coordinate' power and order the Titan Shifters in the homeland to become new Walls in order to expand their territory.

But with that said, they couldn’t possibly go after Grisha and the Mysterious Woman because the walls were made of Titans Shifters, hence they can’t break it down and their Titan Form did not have enough power to destroy the gates.

After years of living in fear and their members depleting each time a Titan attacked. Four of their Warriors had received unique and extremely powerful Titan forms when injected (Each form is different and varied from person to person, as seen by all the current Titan Shifters) and were sent off on a mission to retrieve back the Coordinate.

You got to admit, Bertolt, Annie, Reiner, Titans Form were pretty bad ass and very unique.

Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel (who Ymir ate) were these selected children. Annie’s father was devastated when their leader decided that she would be sent back to the Walls on a mission to retrieve back the Coordinate (this would mean killing humans) and apologies to his daughter for being too greedy and injecting the serum into her because he wanted her to be able to protect herself from Titans.

Spoiler show

Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel were burdened with the task of retrieving back the Coordinate. This is their 'Mission', I am assuming that they wasn't to Kill Humans, they were forced to by their parents and the people of their homeland.

Perhaps they were threatened to leave the Homeland and travel to the Wall for the Mission, or maybe the leaders of their homeland held their family hostages, but one thing for sure, the four Warriors did not want to kill humans and are guilt - stricken.

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

I really don't think that Reiner and the rest want to go on the Mission to the Walls to get back the Coordinate, this would obviously mean killing humans. But perhaps they really didn't have a choice.

Spoiler show

The above conversation shows that Reiner and the rest really didn't have a choice. They couldn't return "empty-handed". They were probably victims as well. So I am going to assume that the four Warriors are actually good-people at heart and not the true antagonist here. (I admit, I am a little bias because I like them, but hey! I have reasons to believe it!)

Spoiler show

Their 'Mission' is fairly simple: Retrieve back the Coordinate at all cost, regardless of the casualties.

Sent off from their mission, they launched a desperate attack on Humanity to draw out the Coordinate, breaking down Wall Maria and unleashing Titans into the walls. They didn’t know if the Coordinate power had been passed on and there was no way of detecting who has it. For all they knew, it could be any human by now.

So with this in mind, they released the Titans into the Wall, hoping that if the Titans consumed all the humans, they would eventually devour the Coordinate power, and then the Titan Shifters could easily consume the Titan, hence gaining back the Coordinate power either way. The attack on Humanity was also meant as a way to draw out the Coordinate Titan, there's a high like-hood that the Mysterious Woman would transform and fight them in order to protect the resident in the Walls.

This mission proved unsuccessful when the Coordinate Power was nowhere in Wall Maria and there was no appearance of the Coordinate Titan. Feeling immense guilt after seeing helpless humans devoured Titans because of their selfish inhumane mission, they opted for a different approach.

The small homeland group infiltrated the Walls and joined as soldiers – to gain information on the Wall Cult (they knew for a fact that there are still people aka Monarchy who knew about the true Origins of Titans and hence, know about the Coordinate power).

This would also explain why they wanted to capture Kirsta. In case Eren was not the Coordinate - perhaps Kirsta from the Wall Cult family knew something about it's location.

Spoiler show

Infiltrating as soldiers also meant that they could gather information on how the Military works because they are after all, outcast and villains in the walls.

During in this time, Dr. Grisha Yeager, feeling guilt and regret that his actions had caused many lives. He injected the Coordinate power into his son, Eren Yeager telling him that ‘their’ memories will teach him out to use it. His purpose is for Eren to free Humanity from Titans and to prevent the selfish Homeland people from obtaining it selfishly for their own use (note that the people of the homeland did not share their powers with the people in the walls).

Spoiler show

What is probably in the basement is true History of the Titans, as well as serums for Titans Shifting. I have a theory about how Shingeki No Kyojin will end and some minor plot mysteries like the whole Ackerman/Oriental theory, but let's save that for another article.

At this point either: Grisha gets consumed by Eren and dies, hence unlocking his Titan powers or he goes into hiding.

For three years, Annie, Reiner, Bertolt, Marcel trained as Soldiers, but they secretly investigated the Wall Cult, hoping that they could gain some information about the Coordinate. But unfortunately, it seems that the Wall Cult doesn't even know that the Coordinate are within the Walls and they were running out of time.

So, they launched another desperate attack on Humanity once again. This time kicking down Wall Trost in hopes to lure the Coordinate Titan out.

This would also explain why Reiner and the rest waited 4 years after they destroyed Wall Maria to kick down Wall Rose's Trost gate. IF they really wanted to destroy Humanity in the first place, COULDN'T they just do it all at once? I am pretty sure if on that day where Wall Maria fell, they could have just kept on smashing through the gates all the way to Wall Sina since Humanity was so unprepared.

Spoiler show

During the battle of Trost District and breach of Wall Rose, Eren Yeager transforms into his Titan form and the homeland team. Finally getting a lead somewhere, they plotted their next attack which is to retrieve Eren as he is suspected to be the 'Coordinate Titan'. This would also solve the puzzle in why they stopped midway their attack when they saw Eren.

Eren is the 'greater importance' - another Titan Shifter would mean a high chance that he has the Coordinate power.

MONARCHY ALSO WANTS THE COORDINATE POWER.

This is pretty much self-explanatory, we all know that Monarchy is not desperately trying to get their hands on Eren after they discovered that he is 'Coordinate'.

Spoiler show

This heavily implies that some of the higher ups (Perhaps Rod Reiss himself) have Titan Shifting abilities. Dr. X was still alive when the Warriors of the Homeland rebelled, so he could have developed more serums for Monarchy in case the Warrior were to ever attack.

Some of you might argue: "If Monarchy has Titan Shifters on their side, then why didn't they just launch a attack on the Homeland and gain back the Coordinate?"

Well, this is because it is heavily implied and stressed that Coordinate power is most SUPERIOR form of Titan Shifting powers.

Spoiler show

The above picture only proves just how powerful the Coordinate power is - it easily overwhelmed Reiner the Armored Titan by getting all the mindless Titans to attack him. Reiner and Bertolt hardly made it out alive even with Ymir's help. So obviously, Monarchy couldn't be reckless and attack the Homeland. The Coordinate power would simply overwhelm them.

To sum it all up in the end: The entire plot revolves around a battle between Monarchy, the Survey Corps and Homeland for the 'Coordinate' powers.

THE END.
    ---------------

Thank you for reading!

I would like to say again that these are all just PURE speculations that I have derived out of all the clues and hints given so far on the manga. I am not saying that I am right in anyway! I brainstormed abit on this, it's like a puzzle with a lot of missing pieces. I hope I didn't miss any major mystery or left any major plot holes.

To be honest, I came up with this theory for my Fanfiction that I am currently writing because I wanted a rather believable plot. So, I re-read the entire Manga and spend a day piecing together clues and stuff and ended up with this. LOL. Just thought to share my theories!

Please do understand that there are just too many plot holes in the Shingeki No Kyojin manga and there are so little hints, so I can not say for sure that I am very confident in my speculations/theories. I did try to do my best with what I had though.

You can choose to believe this theory or dismiss it as being too far fetched. Do let me know what you think about my theory as well, or perhaps you found something odd with it?

Isayama-san is known for his jarring plot twist, so just who knows how the Manga would end? (:

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Cheers,
    xDollfie
    Very well thought out, but I do not think that Grisha and the Mysterious Woman have been working with each other, nor do I think that he came outside the Walls. To understand my take on Grisha, you need to know my theory on the Ackerman family. Mikasa's father and Kenny Ackerman are relatives, and their family is either part of, or has knowledge on the royal conspiracy. For some reason (probably love) Mikasa's father decided to come and live in wall Maria, away from the royal conspiracy, and there he met Grisha, an extremely skilled doctor who wanted to know about the Titans, so he could help humanity. Thus Grisha gained the knowledge about the Titans and prepared the serum.

Why do I think so? Because after Mikasa's father died, Grisha decided to adopt Mikasa, when most parents (mine, at least), while feeling sorry for the kid, would send her to an orphanage or have a family who wants kids, but can't have them, adopt her. The usual family would only adopt her if the orphaned person was the child of a close friend. I might be wrong though, since (maybe) Carla and Grisha wanted another child, and thus adopted her.

Also, you have accidentally written in your theory that Berthold, Reiner, Annie and MARCEL infiltrated the military. Marcel was eaten by Ymir.
    Last edited by TheOwl; September 03, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member POW's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww the Ackerman theory rears it head but it is a solid possibility...

Honestly I think the Ackerman clan is defiantly sort of the "Uchiha" clan of this story and they have some dark stuff in their past tying them to the roots of the foundation of this town.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Very well thought out, but I do not think that Grisha and the Mysterious Woman have been working with each other, nor do I think that he came outside the Walls. To understand my take on Grisha, you need to know my theory on the Ackerman family. Mikasa's father and Kenny Ackerman are relatives, and their family is either part of, or has knowledge on the royal conspiracy. For some reason (probably love) Mikasa's father decided to come and live in wall Maria, away from the royal conspiracy, and there he met Grisha, an extremely skilled doctor who wanted to know about the Titans, so he could help humanity. Thus Grisha gained the knowledge about the Titans and prepared the serum.

Why do I think so? Because after Mikasa's father died, Grisha decided to adopt Mikasa, when most parents (mine, at least), while feeling sorry for the kid, would send her to an orphanage or have a family who wants kids, but can't have them, adopt her. The usual family would only adopt her if the orphaned person was the child of a close friend. I might be wrong though, since (maybe) Carla and Grisha wanted another child, and thus adopted her.

Also, you have accidentally written in your theory that Berthold, Reiner, Annie and MARCEL infiltrated the military. Marcel was eaten by Ymir.
    Very interesting! What you have stated is very, very possible. However, if let's just say Grisha was the one who created the Coordinate serum within the Walls. Then how is it that Reiner and the rest knew about the 'Coordinate' power existing inside the Wall? Someone must have come tipped them off. So if we to assume that what you say is true then perhaps it was Mikasa father who stole something from the Homeland and gave it to Grisha. That would be very possible, indeed!

However, this also contradicts the fact about the Mysterious Woman and how Eren managed to glimpse into her memories (as I have stated above Eren is seeing through her perspective). This also wouldn't explain Grisha saying 'THEIR' memories to Eren. Unless... we say that there is Two Coordinate powers and somehow Mysterious Woman's memories are linked to Eren?

But... If there are two Coordinate powers and assuming that the Mysterious Woman resides in the wall, why does Monarchy want Eren so badly? But then again, this can be argued by how the Mysterious Woman is simply not working with Monarchy or the Homeland! HAHA, so many questions, but what you have stated is very very possible! Thank you for sharing!

And thank you Isayama-san for making Titans so damn complicated.

Oh sorry about that, i will edit it right away! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    Aww the Ackerman theory rears it head but it is a solid possibility...

Honestly I think the Ackerman clan is defiantly sort of the "Uchiha" clan of this story and they have some dark stuff in their past tying them to the roots of the foundation of this town.
    I have to agree with you on this! But what puzzles me why Kenny Ackerman is working with Monarchy... @.@ Urgh, if Mikasa dad is trying to run away from Royal Conspiracy and considering the fact that Kenny use to live in the underground with Levi and basically cutting the throats of hundreds of Military Police in order to escape. This heavily implies that is he is also somehow running away from Royal Conspiracy? SO WHY DID HE JOIN BACK MONARCHY?!

Questions questions... So many unanswered questions... It's just so complicated T_T
    Last edited by xDollfie; September 03, 2014 at 09:15 AM.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting! What you have stated is very, very possible. However, if let's just say Grisha was the one who created the Coordinate serum within the Walls. Then how is it that Reiner and the rest knew about the 'Coordinate' power existing inside the Wall? Someone must have come tipped them off. So if we to assume that what you say is true then perhaps it was Mikasa father who stole something from the Homeland and gave it to Grisha. That would be very possible, indeed!

However, this also contradicts the fact about the Mysterious Woman and how Eren managed to glimpse into her memories (as I have stated above Eren is seeing through her perspective). This also wouldn't explain Grisha saying 'THEIR' memories to Eren. Unless... we say that there is Two Coordinate powers and somehow Mysterious Woman's memories are linked to Eren?
    Well, the coordinate has been used before to use the Titans within the Walls to build the Walls (I don't see how else they could have been built), and the Warriors have been around by that time. The knowledge of the coordinate may have been passed down. As for Mikasa's father, I believe that he came from the capital and had knowledge on the royal conspiracy, the nature of the Titans and the mysteries of the world in general. Since Kenny is a psycho who considers killing a 'hobby' and because he wanted to enjoy a peaceful life with his hot Oriental wife, he got away from there and went to Wall Maria. There he met Grisha, who was probably the best doctor living inside the Walls and a very curious man (remember what he tells Carla when he learns why Eren wants to join the SL). I don't believe that Grisha knew anything of the Titans that the average did not know before meeting Mikasa's father. He created the serum with the Titan and coordinate powers with the help of the knowledge provided to him by Mr. Ackerman, independently from whoever created the coordinate originally. Where he got 'their' memories from? I'll tell that in a bit and forgive me if I contradict my first post in this topic a little.

Let's take a look at the Mysterious woman. Some believe that she is related to Eren (maybe his real mother, since they have their eyes have the same shape), but I disagree. Eren resembles Carla a lot, and the similarity between the Mysterious Woman and Eren can be attributed to Isayama's drawing inexperience (don't bash me for this, he has stated himself that he is not a good artist). Eren mistakes her at first for Historia. Historia and the Mysterious Woman have very similar faces, but the most special of all these similarities are the eyes. And you know who else has the same eyes? Rod Reiss. What I want to say is that the Mysterious Woman is Rod Reiss' (most likely) legitimate daughter and Historia's half-sister.

Back to Grisha. Remember how he, in the first chapter, said that he had to visit a patient in the Inner Walls? The patient was the Mysterious Woman, Rod's daughter, who suffered from a very bad illness. As a doctor, Grisha had a very convenient excuse to extract blood from her (or any other bodily substance), so he could use it to create the serum. Grisha returned to Wall Rose after he learned that Wall Maria fell. There he finished his work, gave Eren the serum, and got eaten. Since he died, and because there was no other doctor on par with him in the Walls, nobody could cure the Mysterious Woman and thus she died too. She was most likely Rod's only legitimate child and heir, and since she is dead, he wants Historia to be his heir (besides wanting to use her to undermine the SL). He also wants Eren, so that the royalty can gain back the coordinate power.

Quote Quote:
    I have to agree with you on this! But what puzzles me why Kenny Ackerman is working with Monarchy... @.@ Urgh, if Mikasa dad is trying to run away from Royal Conspiracy and considering the fact that Kenny use to live in the underground with Levi and basically cutting the throats of hundreds of Military Police in order to escape. This heavily implies that is he is also somehow running away from Royal Conspiracy? SO WHY DID HE JOIN BACK MONARCHY?!
    Kenny is a psycho. Mr. Ackerman wanted to have nothing to do with him. Even in real life and in less screwed-up situations, just because two people are relatives, it does not mean they want the same thing.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Plot Explained! My Theory on History of Snk and the Walls, Origin of Titans, Titan Shifters, Homeland.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Well, the coordinate has been used before to use the Titans within the Walls to build the Walls (I don't see how else they could have been built), and the Warriors have been around by that time. The knowledge of the coordinate may have been passed down. As for Mikasa's father, I believe that he came from the capital and had knowledge on the royal conspiracy, the nature of the Titans and the mysteries of the world in general. Since Kenny is a psycho who considers killing a 'hobby' and because he wanted to enjoy a peaceful life with his hot Oriental wife, he got away from there and went to Wall Maria. There he met Grisha, who was probably the best doctor living inside the Walls and a very curious man (remember what he tells Carla when he learns why Eren wants to join the SL). I don't believe that Grisha knew anything of the Titans that the average did not know before meeting Mikasa's father. He created the serum with the Titan and coordinate powers with the help of the knowledge provided to him by Mr. Ackerman, independently from whoever created the coordinate originally. Where he got 'their' memories from? I'll tell that in a bit and forgive me if I contradict my first post in this topic a little.

Let's take a look at the Mysterious woman. Some believe that she is related to Eren (maybe his real mother, since they have their eyes have the same shape), but I disagree. Eren resembles Carla a lot, and the similarity between the Mysterious Woman and Eren can be attributed to Isayama's drawing inexperience (don't bash me for this, he has stated himself that he is not a good artist). Eren mistakes her at first for Historia. Historia and the Mysterious Woman have very similar faces, but the most special of all these similarities are the eyes. And you know who else has the same eyes? Rod Reiss. What I want to say is that the Mysterious Woman is Rod Reiss' (most likely) legitimate daughter and Historia's half-sister.

Back to Grisha. Remember how he, in the first chapter, said that he had to visit a patient in the Inner Walls? The patient was the Mysterious Woman, Rod's daughter, who suffered from a very bad illness. As a doctor, Grisha had a very convenient excuse to extract blood from her (or any other bodily substance), so he could use it to create the serum. Grisha returned to Wall Rose after he learned that Wall Maria fell. There he finished his work, gave Eren the serum, and got eaten. Since he died, and because there was no other doctor on par with him in the Walls, nobody could cure the Mysterious Woman and thus she died too. She was most likely Rod's only legitimate child and heir, and since she is dead, he wants Historia to be his heir (besides wanting to use her to undermine the SL). He also wants Eren, so that the royalty can gain back the coordinate power.

Kenny is a psycho. Mr. Ackerman wanted to have nothing to do with him. Even in real life and in less screwed-up situations, just because two people are relatives, it does not mean they want the same thing.
    That is a very plausible explanation! Thank you for your insight! Well, this clearly contradicts with some part of my theory and is certainly another take of it. (: Props to you! ( Hey I never said my theory was perfect so I am very open to others' theories that contradict with mine! There are just too many plot holes in Snk)

Well this is Isayama's first full fledge manga so I don't really blame him, I did admit, I was hesitant to read the manga because I saw the art work but that gradually improved over time. I never once thought that Eren is the mysterious woman daughter as many had suspected as well.

Assuming all the above you said is true... why did Reiner and the rest attack Humanity for the coordinate only 100 years later then? It's just odd that they would wait so long, seeing that they are so desperate and Reiner said " we have to take it back! " then doesn't this mean that the coordinate was in their hands before? How did the Coordinate end up in the mysterious woman?Someone must have bought it to the walls right? Any ideas on who? (: I would love to hear your insight on this!

I am loving how you incorporated everything in, this is certainly another plausible explanation!m

I agree that Kenny has a little few loose screws here and there, but it's funny how a man who takes pleasures in killing Military police would suddenly join them - it's one of the things that I am really looking forward to the explanation in the manga! Maybe his 'dream' is to kill Levi or something, if that was revealed in the upcoming manga, Kenny better prepare himself to feel the wrath of the army of Levi fan girls. Haha, no one kills Levi! >:B

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very plausible explanation! Thank you for your insight! Well, this clearly contradicts with some part of my theory and is certainly another take of it. (: Props to you! ( Hey I never said my theory was perfect so I am very open to others' theories that contradict with mine! There are just too many plot holes in Snk)

Well this is Isayama's first full fledge manga so I don't really blame him, I did admit, I was hesitant to read the manga because I saw the art work but that gradually improved over time. I never once thought that Eren is the mysterious woman daughter as many had suspected as well.

Assuming all the above you said is true... why did Reiner and the rest attack Humanity for the coordinate only 100 years later then? It's just odd that they would wait so long, seeing that they are so desperate and Reiner said " we have to take it back! " then doesn't this mean that the coordinate was in their hands before? How did the Coordinate end up in the mysterious woman?Someone must have bought it to the walls right? Any ideas on who? (: I would love to hear your insight on this!

I am loving how you incorporated everything in, this is certainly another plausible explanation!m

I agree that Kenny has a little few loose screws here and there, but it's funny how a man who takes pleasures in killing Military police would suddenly join them - it's one of the things that I am really looking forward to the explanation in the manga! Maybe his 'dream' is to kill Levi or something, if that was revealed in the upcoming manga, Kenny better prepare himself to feel the wrath of the army of Levi fan girls. Haha, no one kills Levi! >:B

Oh, stop it, you.

To answer your question about the Warrior trio (or RBA), you need to know my theory on the Ape Titan. IMO, he is the royalty's higher-up and the one who gave them the coordinate to keep the population from getting advanced or powerful enough to fight Titans on even ground. He is also an enemy of the Warriors. The coordinate power if probably passed down genetically, but genetics are tricky, so not everyone who was a descendant of the original coordinate user within the Walls could have this power. Remember at what point the Ape titan entered the Walls? Right after humanity claimed their first victory against the Titans. The Ape Titan came back to see how they could have possibly managed that; he took Mike's 3DMG to see how it worked.

Back to the Warriors; I believe that at first they thought that they could take on the Titans without the coordinate. Just look at Reiner and Annie; two 14-15 meter giants that know MMA, while Bertl can kill Titans by simply stepping on them. And they are only small fries (according to Ymir) in comparison to the other Warriors. However Titans have two advantages of the Warriors; numbers and stamina (Warriors can stay in their Titan form only for a limited amount of time). RBA's mission was originally to destroy the Walls and to find (and capture, maybe) the Ape Titan, but the Rogue Titan's appearance changed everything. Since Eren was the only Titan shifter within the Walls, they thought that he could have the coordinate, and that they would have an easier time capturing Eren, than capturing the Ape Titan.

As for Levi, Isayama CAN kill him, although if Levi is destined to die, he won't die until the very end. If he died earlier, SNK would lose a good part of it's fanbase. Not me though, I like Levi well enough, but his rudeness and cleaning habits are not as funny or cute to me as they seem to be to his fan-girls. If I were to be a soldier in the SNK world though, I'd feel better if Levi was deployed next to me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ArtIristic's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like your theories. Well explained, and well supported.

I personally believe that the Mysterious Woman and Grisha are from within the Walls.
    The Mys- screw it, I'll call her Erin! I think Erin might be member from the Reiss family due to her likeliness to Rod Reiss, and Historia too.
    I'm thinking that Erin, Karla and Rod were siblings and that Rod is the current ruler of the family, as he is clearly the oldest one of them.

Now, I'm not sure if Historia's mother was an actual prostitute or maybe she had an arranged marriage to Rod Reiss. Something she regretted after having Historia.
    I'm not entirely sure about her huge disdain for Historia, but I'm guessing her birth marked her mother's death sentence. I'm guessing to prevent any of their secrets leaking out.

I'm thinking that the Coordinate has been passed down the through the generations in the Reiss family, but they they've used it very passively as to not attract the attentions of the Warriors.
    Something about Historia's birth could had triggered the attacks on the Walls, but I can't be too sure.

About Erin in all of this, she might had been the vessel for the coordinate just for the purpose so it could pass on through the ages, and may be used for purely cult related things only. What Eren has to do with her... She might be his aunt.
    I do have more theories about the Reiss family and what this relates to Karla, Grisha and Eren, but given how little info we have on Erin, I can't be too sure on it.
    〜Nano desu~※☆✕

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think this is a great theory even it haves some parts which can be seen different
    thanks for posting had fun reading it

New Reply