Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (aka Neuro)

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (aka Neuro)

Title: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (aka Neuro)
    Genres: shounen, mystery, supernatural
    Author: Matsuei Yuusei
    Artist: Matsuei Yuusei
    Publication: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Start Date: February 21, 2005
    End Date: ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 16 volumes (ch. 1-44, 49-93 scanlated)
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 89 (all scanlated chapters)

General Overview:

The demon Neuro is bored with solving mysteries in hell, so he comes to the human world to see what puzzles await him. Puzzles are not only what he is interested in, but they also serve as food for Neuro. In order to maintain a low profile, he poses as the assistant to Yako, a normal human high school girl who he forces to pretend to be a detective. They are on the search for the ultimate riddle in which to satisfy Neuro's hunger.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 7

The art is not exactly what I'd call beautiful, but it is certainly interesting. While some of the side character designs seem a little generic, the main character designs are unique and memorable. The artist chooses unusual and interesting angles in which to draw the scenes and some panels are quite detailed, especially those including any of Neuro's various tools of the demon world.

Plot: 7

Most of the arcs are short and entertaining, however the culprit reveals can feel a bit rushed. There is quite a bit of comedy and also more serious, darker elements. The tone of the story shifts between these quite nicely.

Characters: 8

There is an interesting dynamic especially between the two main characters: Neuro and Yako. Neuro constantly tortures Yako in very humorous ways; however he does compliment her occasionally and relies on her understanding of human emotions in order to help solve some of the cases. In general, the characters are well-developed, especially as we get to the bottom of the culprits and their motives.

Theme: 8

I find the main theme in this manga to be one of "understanding." This theme comes up in various ways such as Yako trying to understand Neuro, Neuro trying to understand humans, Yako trying to understand the motives of the various criminals they come across, one particular antagonist trying to understand himself, etc. I find this theme just becomes more and more apparent as the story progresses.

Originality: 9

While the detective/mystery idea is not a novel one, this manga puts a whole new spin on the concept. Neuro also uses his "777 tools of the demon world" in very creative ways, and most of these tools are quite unique.

Overall: 7.5

This unusual manga seems to me like it will be somewhat of a cult favorite. It’s not the best manga out there, but I find it to be a fun read for those who are not super picky about what they read. If it sounds at all interesting to you, give it a shot ^^

Anonymous is scanlating the chapters quickly (except for the curiously absent ch. 45-48) and they can all be found at http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Tantei_Nougami_Neuro/

Spoiler: Manga images taken from early chapters to avoid spoilers, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by igotthegoods; May 03, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (aka Neuro)

A decent review. I happen to enjoy Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro as well. My favorite aspect of the manga is the relationship between Neuro and Yako.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    A decent review. I happen to enjoy Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro as well. My favorite aspect of the manga is the relationship between Neuro and Yako.
    thanks (it's my first one ). i agree with you that the best part of this manga is the relationship between these two characters. it really drives the series and keeps things interesting, at least for me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crazy_horse1989's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

now, this is one manga that definitely needs some love! good review, i totally agree with it, but i would give it an 8-8,5 for overall, because it`s a very enjoyable and original series... definitely one of my favorites!

btw, does anybody know what`s the deal with the chapter releases? Anonymous hasn`t released anything in ages; did they stop doing it, did they catch up with the current volumes and they don`t have anymore tanko RAW`s or what`s the deal?
    "War... Revenge... Maybe that's enough reason I'm all alone, I think. Fofr now. And withi me is the black berserker rage... And only that... Will keep me on my feet. As I head towards you... Pressing on."
    --> Guts from the manga BERSERK...

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Muddy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anon only scanlates from tankoubon. Volume 18 just came out a couple of days ago so we should be seeing a new batch of nine chapters relatively soon.

And yes, incredible series, one of the five best in Jump in my estimation.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crazy_horse1989's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Anon only scanlates from tankoubon. Volume 18 just came out a couple of days ago so we should be seeing a new batch of nine chapters relatively soon.

And yes, incredible series, one of the five best in Jump in my estimation.
    so my guess was correct, they don`t have anymore tanko RAW`s... i didn`t know volume 18 was just released, sorry for the dumb question...

EDIT: evil post-count...
    "War... Revenge... Maybe that's enough reason I'm all alone, I think. Fofr now. And withi me is the black berserker rage... And only that... Will keep me on my feet. As I head towards you... Pressing on."
    --> Guts from the manga BERSERK...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Muddy - Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Anon only scanned from tanks, either, but that makes a lot of sense ^^;

@crazy_horse1989 - Thanks for the compliment on the review. ^^ I'm actually thinking of bumping up the overall score a little. 8 sounds about right to me based on the rest of the chapters that have been scanned since I wrote this. I think I was just really trying to be critical at the time so that's why I gave it a 7.5

New Reply