Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread- Australian Open (13/01-26/01)

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Definitely. It's been an amazing tournament for him, just look at the players he's had to beat to get to the final: Berdych, Djoko, Robredo. Not easy, and so becomes the first person to beat Djoko and Nadal in the same tournament, also the first person to beat the 1st and 2nd seed in a Grand Slam since '93.

Impressive of him to have held on, despite Nadal's injuries and not losing his head in the end. I really feel for Rafa though, this could've been no.14 and brought him closer to Fed. But more than that, it just seems to be one injury after another. But DAMN, he's a fighter. So many other players would've thrown in the towel but he refused to and gave Wawrinka an honourable victory.
    The only one who I can think of that retired in a Grand Slam Final in the last 20 years was Henin. She did it once or twice against Mauresmo that year that Mauresmo actually knew how to play.

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I remember that match, and it was also mentioned during this final. As some people in the crowd began to boo Nadal for going away for treatment. I could understand Wawrinka's frustration at not being kept up to date on the situation but the way the crowd behaved was appalling.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Yeah I remember that match, and it was also mentioned during this final. As some people in the crowd began to boo Nadal for going away for treatment. I could understand Wawrinka's frustration at not being kept up to date on the situation but the way the crowd behaved was appalling.
    It also happened to have happened at the Australian Open.

Wawrinka may have thought it was a delaying tactic to halt/stall his momentum as well.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly, but why would Nadal of all people want to use such tactics? He's not that sort of player, in my opinion/

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not really something new, Federer complained (after losing in this tournament) about Nadal taking too much time serving in every single one of their matches (and that he was only penalized once or twice).

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but that's during service, this was a break for treatment that went on too long.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

But in the end it's the same tactic. He gets a rest of his exhausting playing style and gets his rival a bit off the game at the same time.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nadal is sort of "notorious" for this (depends on how you look at it). Famous examples:
    -VS Haase and Pechzner at 2010 Wimbledon, calling MTO's when they were filled with adrenaline and momentum
    -VS Del Potro 2011 Wimbledon, in the middle of a tiebreak, del potro was obviously rattled and tried to retaliate with his own MTO
    -VS Federer 2011 FO, Federer in god mode playing the best clay-court tennis of his life, up convincing 5-2, nadal calls MTO, federers concentration breaks, loses that set 5-7
    Some other instances i may be forgetting, MTO is there but whenever this happens it generally happens when his opponent is up. Fans, and even commentators alike have alluded to the fact that this is disguised gamesmanship. I was on a tennis forum browsing during the final, several people said "MTO is coming if stans breaks early in the first set" and behold it happened. His injury does seem legit though.

Also hi, it's been a while. I enjoyed this tournament. It was full of upsets lol, glad I'm not a betting man.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    Nadal is sort of "notorious" for this (depends on how you look at it). Famous examples:
    -VS Haase and Pechzner at 2010 Wimbledon, calling MTO's when they were filled with adrenaline and momentum
    -VS Del Potro 2011 Wimbledon, in the middle of a tiebreak, del potro was obviously rattled and tried to retaliate with his own MTO
    -VS Federer 2011 FO, Federer in god mode playing the best clay-court tennis of his life, up convincing 5-2, nadal calls MTO, federers concentration breaks, loses that set 5-7
    Some other instances i may be forgetting, MTO is there but whenever this happens it generally happens when his opponent is up. Fans, and even commentators alike have alluded to the fact that this is disguised gamesmanship. I was on a tennis forum browsing during the final, several people said "MTO is coming if stans breaks early in the first set" and behold it happened. His injury does seem legit though.

Also hi, it's been a while. I enjoyed this tournament. It was full of upsets lol, glad I'm not a betting man.
    Nadal would've lost the 2012 Roland Garros Final to Djokovic, if not for the timely rain delay that served as a MTO. The 2013 Roland Garros SF was just as tight.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yea, Djoker had all the momentum and Nadal urged play to stop after Djoker was up 2-0 in the 4th iirc. Don't remind me of Djokers bad smash that cost hin RG ;-;

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thread bump!

I heard about the ITPL coming through and the teams being chosen, what do you guys think about it? Obviously it'll be more work(and fatigue) for the players, but also more money for them and more tennis for us. (Article is HERE)

Also Indian Wells has been going on, with finals to be tonight?(I think). Federer against Djoko, with Murray having been knocked out a few rounds back. I don't think Nadal was in the draw this time.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread- French Open (26/05-08/06)

I like the idea of it, Bob, but I think that the tennis season should be a little shorter in general anyway.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I like the idea of it, Bob, but I think that the tennis season should be a little shorter in general anyway.
    I, too like the idea but my primary concern is players being fatigued from the end of season and not being fresh enough for the beginning of the next one.
    I think over the years, we've seen some of the top players reduce their tournament schedules to allow for proper recovery, as matches become more physically demanding on the body, and I think we'll see more of that with this now in place. Especially for the likes of Nadal and Federer; who I'd see to be more injury-prone than the other top players.

---------- Post added March 29, 2014 at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was March 16, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

So both semifinals at Miami were walkovers? wtf? BOTH?! So annoying for the fans who pay their tickets and travel to see players. Well, at least it sets up a mouth watering final between Nadal and Djokovic.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That was so eerie lol....and the final was a comprehensive beating lol.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, no talk about the french open? It seems Novak can't just beat Rafa on clay, it really means a lot to Nadal when he plays on clay, but currently and overall I think Rafa is the better man of the two in terms of tennis. Wimbledon is filled with surprises so there can be some twists and turns, but Roland Garros is the shining example of Rafa's top dominance and form in a year.

As for the ladies, there are always twists and turns there, Sharapova is one day down, one day up, her form however has been a bit more consistent now. Hope to see more from her.

New Reply
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast