Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: How many more French Opens do you think Nadal will get before he retires?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

1 33.33%

0 0%

1 33.33%
  • More

1 33.33%
New Reply
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread- Wimbledon (23/06-06/07)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread- US Open (26/08-08/09)

Rant (not really, but kind of)

Spoiler show
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, Atobe, perhaps. If he loves the game, it's fine if he wants to be out (like Hewitt, for example), but Fed would just become this story every Major and, at least from my perspective, it would start to get annoying. When you're competing for Majors, it's fine to draw attention, but when you're past it, the attention will start getting in the way.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's just the way the media is. Like how if you watch Majors on ESPN they go on and on about how isner and the other americans have good draws and can make a big push. And then none of them get beyond the 3rd round.

Just depends on the popularity of the player in the end I guess. No one really cares that say...Karlovic is still competing, but there's always this silly hype when James Blake even won a round this last year lol.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

We're Americans, however, and we do get stuck watching the American-biased commentating. I fully expected Kohlschreiber to beat Isner and he did. Fish will probably never even play again.

I think Blake retired as he was doing some commentating for the Tennis Channel a few days ago.

When Brian Baker won a few rounds at Majors last season, there was silly hype. He was a decent player, but we've seen that he can't keep up even that modicum of form. I think he got wiped in the first round at the US Open this year.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to see Federer losing like this. I think it's about time to seriously contemplate retirement; which I think he should have really done after he won his last GS. I worry it'll get worse and I really want him to end on a high note.

@Frosty: James Blake retired last week. Last time I saw him play was in Eastbourne during the summer, which was a surprise because he had been "off the grid" for me, so I'd thought he was long gone.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks for the info, Bob.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

A fun day for the top seeds. Serena got a double bagel and Djokovic did as well, with a 6-3 6-0 6-0 victory.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Sad to see Federer losing like this. I think it's about time to seriously contemplate retirement; which I think he should have really done after he won his last GS. I worry it'll get worse and I really want him to end on a high note.

@Frosty: James Blake retired last week. Last time I saw him play was in Eastbourne during the summer, which was a surprise because he had been "off the grid" for me, so I'd thought he was long gone.
    Lol federer is my absolute fave...how do you think i feel. But its okay...this happens to every great. Sampras losing in the first/second round of majors to nobodies before he won number 14 etc. He's talking about the 2016 olympics...so he really doesn't want to retire. It's definitely in his head, i know he lost that match to nadal in cincinati but it was actually a really good match he had rafa on the ropes until he started getting a bit passive, fought off several match points. Nadals match point was out..no idea what may have happened if he challenged. I believe in Roger lol.

@Frosty Yeah blake retired after losing to karlovic after being up 2 sets . And yeah brian baker lol...all that hype. Same for Harrison and Sock

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

In some ways, it's even worse with Mardy Fish. After he finally got fit after about 10 years on tour, his injuries cropped up again. Let's hype up the fact that he's a "top 10 player," but completely ignore the fact that he can't win against other top 10 players and that he was only in the top 10 because of silly ranking points, like how you can be No. 1 in the WTA rankings without even having made a Major Final. He actually made it to one or two Masters Series Finals, but he clearly didn't have it. He's been injured again (the heart issues) for a while.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I genuinely feel for Mardy because his heart issues. Was never a fan of the guy though, he was on his way out either way tbh. The only American i ever truly supported during the Fedal era was Roddick . Wear and tear got to be too much.

Americans were spoiled by so many greats i suppose. The Petes,Aggasis, the Couriers, Jmacs etc...but Europe dominates now and the have to accept that. Young up and comers from Europe (and it some cases asia!) are the ones moving up. Kei nishikori could have been top 10 by now if he didn't mess up in um...Montreal i think. Harrison is sort of cocky but has made no waves against the top players. They hype up sock but his fitness is suspect. Querrey i always believed was destined to be top 20 and nothing more. Isner, regardless of what they say is pretty much just a serve and occasional solid FH. I don't see it getting any better for american mens tennis.
    Last edited by Atobe the king; September 04, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, same for me. Roddick was the only one I ever supported, but Roddick completely lacked a backhand, except in 2009.

They hyped up Donald Young for years, even when he couldn't make it past the first round of Majors. I think he got wiped in the first round of the US Open this year.

Some of the countries, such as Canada, have a "star," but it's not a star of their own making anyway. Milos Raonic plays for Canada, but he's not Canadian. Anyway, all he really has is a serve and a big backhand. He's not making it to the top.

Isner's a confusing one, as he sometimes gets wins over the top five, but his tennis style is anathema to me. Big man tennis is just wrong.

Yeah, it's not happening for the US in men's tennis. In terms of women, there's overhyped Sloane Stephens, who's actually 16th in the world right now, but she doesn't really have it, I don't think. Christina McHale will never make it anywhere. Melanie Oudin had one good Major and now she's ranked like 200th in the world. Alison Riske couldn't even beat Hantuchova...

To be honest, I don't think that a lot of the great American men would've won in the the last 10 years. They weren't great in the way that the top three, plus Murray now, four are. Fed's fallen away, so it's really a top three right now.

I think that Soderling could've been the No. 1 player in the world, but the Mono got to him and that was the end.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Yeah, same for me. Roddick was the only one I ever supported, but Roddick completely lacked a backhand, except in 2009.
    Stefanki was good for Roddick but at the same time he made him start playing way too passive for me. 09 was a great year for him minus the USO, semis at the AO beating Djoker. And that wimbledon final where he actually outplayed roger and still lost. His newfound backhand solidity sadly came at the cost of his FH..which used to be a major weapon.

Quote Quote:
    They hyped up Donald Young for years, even when he couldn't make it past the first round of Majors. I think he got wiped in the first round of the US Open this year.
    2nd round i think...espn claims he's on a comeback trail

Quote Quote:
    Milos Raonic
    Yeah, top 10 player imo, nothing more.

Quote Quote:
    Isner's a confusing one, as he sometimes gets wins over the top five, but his tennis style is anathema to me. Big man tennis is just wrong.
    Yeah...it'll never happen when it counts, he can never get to them in a slam. His highlight was taking Nadal to the 5th in the french.

Quote Quote:
    Yeah, it's not happening for the US in men's tennis. In terms of women, there's overhyped Sloane Stephens, who's actually 16th in the world right now, but she doesn't really have it, I don't think. Christina McHale will never make it anywhere. Melanie Oudin had one good Major and now she's ranked like 200th in the world. Alison Riske couldn't even beat Hantuchova...
    I give Sloane a shot, she does okay in majors. Christini McHale....nope. The other two just lol .

Quote Quote:
    To be honest, I don't think that a lot of the great American men would've won in the the last 10 years. They weren't great in the way that the top three, plus Murray now, four are. Fed's fallen away, so it's really a top three right now.
    Oddly, Murray and Djokovic have underperformed outside of majors. I'd still say fed is in the top 4, if only because the other guys aren't up there. Raonic no,berdych lost to feds pigeon last night,Ferrers grit doesnt get him wins against the top. Gasqet is solid but no where near a number 4. Tsonga....idk how MIA he's going to be.

Quote Quote:
    I think that Soderling could've been the No. 1 player in the world, but the Mono got to him and that was the end.
    Idk...he was a solid number 4 or 5. He never really solved the federer problem, his win against roger at RG was his only win. He was 1-16 against federer. With fed beating him several times after the RG loss. He's 2-6 VS Nadal, Nadal lost to him twice in 09 and seemed to have figured him out. 2-6 VS Djoker. 2-3 VS murray however. He was hitting his peak though....he could have shook things up. I actually regularly search for soderling news but i always get the same thing "he's working hard to come back,no set date etc"

---------- Post added September 05, 2013 at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was September 04, 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

Wow...Murray. I didn't expect such a trouncing. Poor Andy he gets let downs from losing slams but also winning them. His consistency is so lacking :/

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nadal vs Djoko again, huh? Personally I do think that Wawrinka might be the surprise, but ... nah.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Gutted for Murray but he admitted later on that was difficult to get pumped for this event after Wimbledon. It's always a shame for me, to see a champion losing in straight sets. Though I have to say, Wawrinka played a really good game last night. I hope he can really cause an upset and maybe win; he's been in Federer's shadow for so long and I still can't believe this is his first semis!

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wawrinka hasn't made it to a SF before? I thought he'd been to one or two.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Wawrinka hasn't made it to a SF before? I thought he'd been to one or two.
    Best results: Quarter finals at Australian(2011) and French(2013), 4th Round at Wimbledon(2008 and 09).

New Reply
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast