Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread

soderling vs nadal is going to be good im looking forward to it .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, indeed, Soderling had a great year last year and I really hope he can push himself as much as he did last. His first serve and deep forehand are deadly, Federer is deffo a fav, but he will have to fight for every game.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat Tennis related, have you guys seen Gypsy - Shakira. Nadal was in the song and the song is steamy hot. Nadal looked good in it.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

^ thats why i hated his guts
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm cool music video, didn't picture Nadal as that kinda guy that does guest appearances in videos.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    While most of his victories are on Clay, Nadal has beaten him on Hard surface of Australia and Grass of Wimbledon. Nadal has certainly improved on other surfaces as well. If we get more Nadal vs. Federer on surfaces other than Clay, I am sure Nadal can beat him. But I expect all these matches to be evenly contested. Perhaps, decided on the day who plays well.
    One wimbledon win, on Nadals best year and Federers worst...and it still took him till 9-7 in the 5th.

The AO.....Fed should have won that match, why he didn't? i don't know....he was good off the ground but served like garbage.

It's just a bad matchup. I hope the sentiment isn't that Nadals winning H2H somehow diminishes feds accomplishments, he can still take Nadal, he had one good claycourt tourney and took it to nadal and had the advantage in the breaker before he brainfarted.

And whoever mentioned Sod VS Nadal
    They're not on the same half of the draw, the only way they're meeting is if Sod beats Fed in the quarters...aka...extremely unlikely.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    One wimbledon win, on Nadals best year and Federers worst...and it still took him till 9-7 in the 5th.

The AO.....Fed should have won that match, why he didn't? i don't know....he was good off the ground but served like garbage.

It's just a bad matchup. I hope the sentiment isn't that Nadals winning H2H somehow diminishes feds accomplishments, he can still take Nadal, he had one good claycourt tourney and took it to nadal and had the advantage in the breaker before he brainfarted.

And whoever mentioned Sod VS Nadal
    They're not on the same half of the draw, the only way they're meeting is if Sod beats Fed in the quarters...aka...extremely unlikely.
    On the contrary, Nadal took Federer to 5 sets in 2008 as well. Even in 2007, Federer won in 4 sets. If we are talking about luck, then in those matches it was just a point or two that made Nadal a loser. But I wont take it as an excuse. Federer won because he was a better player at that particular day. I personally don't believe in Ifs and Buts in sports.

It was apparent, Nadal has improved so much on Grass and Hard courts. I was just looking at Nadal vs. Federer head-head, other than clay, they have played 9 matches on Grass and Hard courts. The record says Federer has won 5 of them. The difference being just one match. And 4 of them are in 2005 and 2006, few of them were decided in the final set. It doesn't mean Federer has become a lesser man. He is great player, has always been. There is no doubt in his achievements.

About Federer not having best of seasons in 2008, I don't think it was the case. He still won US Open and some other titles that year. You don't win a Grand Slam if you are not playing your 110%. He was finalist in many other tournaments, including French Open. More than anything, players like Djokovic and Murray improved so much.

Anyways, for the sports, Nadal vs. Federer matches have always been captivating. Just like Sampras vs. Agassi matches were marvelous to watch.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its pretty much unanimous that 08 was federers worst year Even today McEnroe mentioned it while commentating for the french. He only won basel,estoril and the USO...aside from the USO the other titles weren't top tier titles, estoril is a 250. He lost to the likes of blake, Karlovic MARDY FISH and a lot of other players who he had like 9-0 streaks against. He didnt win a single masters that year. He played well at the USO but that was one of his poorest seasons by HIS lofty standards.

You mean took him to 5 in 07 and 4 in 06. Fed played like crap in the 07 final. The issue with Nadal is mental, his passiveness on breakpoints and tentative shots, and the fact that every match is just nadal drilling feds backhand all fucking day.

Federer Nadal matches are boring because its the same thing every time, pepper the fed backhand, fed implodes.

Murray and Djokovic are good but they stack up to fed, when he got his mojo back after winning madrid/French/wimby he beat them back to back on their best surface at Cincinnati in STRAIGHTS while when they beat fed in early 09 when his game was even worse than 08 they never won in straights it was always a 3 setter and in almost ever match fed was leading by a set and a break. He beat Djoker in the USO for third straight time as well as crushed murray in Melbourne this year to the extent that murray took months to recover mentally and is still shaky.

Due to the match up and this silly mental block, nadal dominates fed. But nadal will never dominate the field like fed did.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It's no doubt that if Nadal was never here, Federer would've mst likely won all the Slams since 05, but the same can't be said about Nadal, the only time Nadal is pretty much guaranteed to win is on clay, but Fed has all surfaces within his range. And you're right atobe, Nadal can't dominate the Men's game like Fed did a few years ago.

In other news, ohhh poor Mr.Hewitt, straight sets, again???

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL

It's like deja vu....will Nadal lose to Belluci in R16? xDDD

Nah but last year he also straight setted Hewitt in r3 (so yay Lleyton doesn't lose any points) then went on to to be part of the upset of the decade (tennis wise)

Holy shit....Fed out, Sod through....RG JUST got very interesting
    Last edited by Atobe the king; June 01, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I ate my words badly.

Quote Quote:
    Also, Soderling vs Federer now, shame both of them has to meet in the top 16 but it'll be exciting nevertheless. Federer will win but I'll root for Soderling. He has a good shot at winning too since he's learned Federer's game and last time in RG he did an insane job so his self confidence isn't too bad, also, he played a great game last round (day 8) and if he can maintain his first serve like he's been doing so far, then he will at least give Federer a struggle.

Federer will win with 6-4, 6-3, 6-4
    But still, great game. Shame about the suspension after 5-5 in 3rd...

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to watch the reply of that game, still can't believe Federer lost before reaching the semi-final (ending his 23 consecutive semifinal streak). To be honest, when I looked up the results for the match earlier and saw Robin Soderling (5) def Roger Federer (1) I think my heart skipped a beat.

Huge upset, but to put it fairly Federer had never been good on clay. If Nadal wins Roland Garros he will reclaim the number one position. But at least Federer fans can look forward to the next Grand Slam at Wimbledon where Federer excels. Personally, I'd like to see Soderling or Djokovic win the French Open though Nadal has been performing very well.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe Federer's Grand Slam semis record is over! I was so shocked when I was told the result. I hope Soderling goes all the way, if not then at least the final. If Nadal wins his next match, then he'll be the new World no.1 I hear? Bad news for Fed. That jsut goes to show you that he hasn't been getting many trophies in lately, because there used to be a quite a safe gap between the 2 of them.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Soderling is world ranked (7) but tournament seeded (5) Gecko, so yeah
    And I'd also want to see Djokovic vs Soderling; it would be good for the tennis world to see two other players rather than Nadal/Fed in finals, especially in such a big tournament as RG.

Soderling is up against some WR (22) Austrian iirc so I almost take it for granted that Soderling will win that one because if he keep using his heavy forehand to press the balls down, the Austrian wont stand a chance because he can't play against players like Soderling who does that... If I only could remember the name.. >,>

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomas Berdych

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast