Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: How many more French Opens do you think Nadal will get before he retires?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

1 33.33%

0 0%

1 33.33%
  • More

1 33.33%
New Reply
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread- Wimbledon (23/06-06/07)

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal won his 5th Rome Masters in 06 years, impressive. Glad to see him winning few titles before he goes to Roland Garros. So far Clay is looking good for him. He should win RG this year again.

Henin wins 1st title in return from retirement. She made few finals but lost. This title will certainly give her confidence and try to win her favorite title on her favorute surface=> Roland Garros.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Nadal has now won the most Masters titles; 17. One ahead of Federer and Agassi. In 5 years he has won 17 masters, whereas Agassi took 14 years to win 16. Scary...

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

he's tied with agassi for 17
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Nadal brought a complete new way of playing compared to how Agassi played his game. The aggressive top spin play with the counter-punches from a lefty isn't a play that is easy to adapt to as an opponent. Especially not on clay.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Nadal has certainly improved his backhand a lot. It used to be a defensive shot but now he can earn some winner from that wing as well.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
    He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
    I personally found it to be quite distasteful...

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
    He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?
    I also try to look into upcoming players. No Nadal in making as far as I know. People like Nadal and Federer comes once in a century.

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
    I personally found it to be quite distasteful...
    I tried to find the news you said but I failed. Though, in some interviews he was not so appreciative about Nadal. Saying things like Nadal couldn't do much about his game. Duh, Nadal won, didn't he. Anyways, its very un-sportsman not to acknowledge someone like Nadal. Nadal, on the other hand, always appreciate his opponents. You wont hear him saying, "Oh I lost because I was playing bad". He'd give the credit to his opponents. Something Sampras was so good at.

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

at a certain point nadal actually ruled recently he is actually down .

as for federer this guy is a legend , he has that unique style and freedom in playing .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Nadal won 18th Masters Series title, surpassing Andre Agassi. The chance of winning another French Open is looking good for Nadal, given he stays fit and injury-free.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my money on Djokovic. Even though he hasn't gone all the way or played nearly as good as he usually does, I think he's got more potential than he's shown and that he will be a really tricky opponent for Nadal, given that they both will meet. It feels like he's been saving up for the French Open... We'll see this weekend how it starts

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love him to go back to his former self. He has a complete all around game. The year before the last one, he was the only one giving Nadal any resistance.

Nadal will be back to No. 2. We wont see him or Federer colliding, not before a final. Given, they both make it.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

You can count on Federer to at least reach the semis, and I'm guessing the final too. My money is on Nadal after he won the last Masters, I can't believe he's beaten Federer 13 out of 20 times O_O astonishing.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really, most have them have been on clay, Nadal is a bad matchup for Fed and Fed exposed the power of the dropshot...Nadal is like the greatest claycourter of all time the fact Fed has kept it close is astonishing.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

While most of his victories are on Clay, Nadal has beaten him on Hard surface of Australia and Grass of Wimbledon. Nadal has certainly improved on other surfaces as well. If we get more Nadal vs. Federer on surfaces other than Clay, I am sure Nadal can beat him. But I expect all these matches to be evenly contested. Perhaps, decided on the day who plays well.

New Reply
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast