Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: How many more French Opens do you think Nadal will get before he retires?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll

1 33.33%

0 0%

1 33.33%
  • More

1 33.33%
New Reply
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread- Wimbledon (23/06-06/07)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tennis Thread- Australian Open( 14th - 27th Jan)

My picks were Serena and Djokovic. Now that Serena's injury forced her out, I'm taking Azarenka and Djokovic.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Solid, solid win from Li Na there!

Mary-Joe goes, "Sloane Stephens has the game to beat Azarenka. It's whether she's mentally strong enough to get it done." Oh, come on, ESPN! You never act this way about Serena and now you're fawning all over Sloane? I'm disgusted.

Kill her, Azarenka, kill her!

---------- Post added January 24, 2013 at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was January 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

Azarenka won and after some gamesmanship in the second set up 5-4, she broke Sloane to win. Now, ESPN's decrying her for taking a timeout to calm down and relax. This is just crap.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do they need to praise Serena's game? Every time she faces another so called top opponent, she destroys them
    Surprised to see in-form Sharapova getting crushed, hm..

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Why do they need to praise Serena's game? Every time she faces another so called top opponent, she destroys them
    Surprised to see in-form Sharapova getting crushed, hm..
    It's that we always hear more about others than Serena, even though Serena is acknowledged to be the best player. Serena was disrespected by the media as a whole after her injury-plagued loss to Sloane.

Yeah, I had expected Sharapova to win like 6-2 6-3 and then lose in three tough sets to Azarenka in the Final.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    It's that we always hear more about others than Serena, even though Serena is acknowledged to be the best player. Serena was disrespected by the media as a whole after her injury-plagued loss to Sloane.

Yeah, I had expected Sharapova to win like 6-2 6-3 and then lose in three tough sets to Azarenka in the Final.
    Tennis media is on hunt for a new face. Williams sisters have been around for like 13 years from now, and no replacement arrived. Sharapova had the media support, but her tennis isn't at that level, Wozniacki was one of the worst #1 in recent times, the Serbs (Ivanovic & Jankovic) didn't become a new great duo (Henin & Clijsters) and hopes are on Azarenka or some other to dominate.
    I bet the only reason they made such a fuss over that loss is the apparent lack of excitement factor. The organization needs more heroes for the public eye, and who is more suitable than a teenager? Like Oudin back a couple of years ago in US Open.

I have no idea why they brought down the aura of success from Sloane to keep the attention on Serena, though.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That is true, at least to some extent. Kvitova won one major, but then fell off the face of the map (she's still in the top 10 or 15 though). Safina probably produced the single worst performance we'll ever see in a Grand Slam Final and now she no longer plays tennis.

I thought that they acted as if Sloane's victory was over a 100% Serena and the injuries didn't matter. The way that some of the commentators waxed on about how Sloane was awesome was really distasteful. I would've had no problem if they talked about how Serena was suffering and her inability to move and serve really gave Sloane a chance, but they didn't word it like that.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, Djokovic absolutely crushed David Ferrer in straight sets to reach the final for the 3rd year running. Murray and Federer tomorrow is the semis to watch; I don't think the former has been tested much or at all over the course of this tournament, so playing Federer is his first and biggest test.

Li Na demolished Sharapova, I'm so disappointed, she was outplayed and Li was just all over her and very ruthless in her game. I hope she regroups and takes the positives of her tournament to the next one and not sulk around.

Azarenka doesn't look too good going into the final, Frosty. I'm tempted to go with Li for the win. The former had difficulties breathing in her semis, I hear? as well as other things too.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Gosh, Djokovic absolutely crushed David Ferrer in straight sets to reach the final for the 3rd year running. Murray and Federer tomorrow is the semis to watch; I don't think the former has been tested much or at all over the course of this tournament, so playing Federer is his first and biggest test.

Li Na demolished Sharapova, I'm so disappointed, she was outplayed and Li was just all over her and very ruthless in her game. I hope she regroups and takes the positives of her tournament to the next one and not sulk around.

Azarenka doesn't look too good going into the final, Frosty. I'm tempted to go with Li for the win. The former had difficulties breathing in her semis, I hear? as well as other things too.
    Yeah, I watched it and it was a killing. I'll be curious to see who comes through the other SF. As you pointed out, Murray hasn't had to struggle much, whereas Federer was pushed against Tsonga.

I don't like Sharapova anyway, so I was happy. Li Na looks to be the favorite going into the final. Azarenka had an on-court panic attack and couldn't breathe.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

For the second semis, who are you going with?

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Djokovic is Awesome

I want him and Federer to face in the Finals!

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

So Murray advances to the final. The match going to 5 sets makes it look a lot tighter than it actually was. If you look at the results results for each sets, Federer was stubborn in taking the sets in tie breaks, which looked like it was the only way he could win those. And to be honest, Murray was slacking in moments in those sets, so let those go. Very good performance from Murray and I fancy his chances against Djoko, but he'll have to be more ruthless.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh. You're not giving any credit to Federer lol. There's another player involved there, you're treating him like some top 50 player. Extending the match to 5 sets is "stubborn" :V ? let those go? Haha. Old man Fed reached the semis, that's about as much as i can ask of him. 2 more hours on court than Murray and had a taxing opponent the round before while Murray had not been tested the entire tournament. Anyway, as good as Roger is he really shouldn't be beating these players, this the Murrayvic Era. He's had many chances to shine on Laver arena. That said, i like Djokovic to take it. Aside from the Wawrinka match he's annihilated everyone, AO is /his/ slam as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention an extra day of rest.

Just realize Murray has made 3 Slam finals in a row. He's finally realizing his potential.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I expected a five set win for Murray, honestly.

Um, I think Djokovic takes it in five, but you never know. My estimation of Murray went way up last season after winning the Olympic Final (virtually the Wimbledon final, athough not exactly) and beating Djokovic in the US Open Final.

Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    Huh. You're not giving any credit to Federer lol. There's another player involved there, you're treating him like some top 50 player. Extending the match to 5 sets is "stubborn" :V ? let those go? Haha. Old man Fed reached the semis, that's about as much as i can ask of him. 2 more hours on court than Murray and had a taxing opponent the round before while Murray had not been tested the entire tournament. Anyway, as good as Roger is he really shouldn't be beating these players, this the Murrayvic Era. He's had many chances to shine on Laver arena. That said, i like Djokovic to take it. Aside from the Wawrinka match he's annihilated everyone, AO is /his/ slam as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention an extra day of rest.

Just realize Murray has made 3 Slam finals in a row. He's finally realizing his potential.
    Yeah. he was at a disadvantage like you said after his 5 set round with Tsonga and considering his age also, it was a feat and testament to his ability to get this far and go the distance. But what I meant in the end is that I was never in doubt about the result of the match as I was watching it.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I expected a five set win for Murray, honestly.

Um, I think Djokovic takes it in five, but you never know. My estimation of Murray went way up last season after winning the Olympic Final (virtually the Wimbledon final, athough not exactly) and beating Djokovic in the US Open Final.
    Olympics was strange, since its a bunch of 3 setters then a 5 setter. Federer was emotionally/physically drained from that Delpo epic. Murray was superb, likely would have won either way. Murray winning the USO was no surprise, he'd been making great strides since he teamed up with Lendl (in majors, his normal tournament performance was subpar last year...not a single masters i think? he's generally good for 2 or 3). Aside from the wawrinka match...Djokovics matches were eerie. He hits winners at will It's almost creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Yeah. he was at a disadvantage like you said after his 5 set round with Tsonga and considering his age also, it was a feat and testament to his ability to get this far and go the distance. But what I meant in the end is that I was never in doubt about the result of the match as I was watching it.
    Oh i knew he'd lose lol. I just want this quarterfinal streak to go on for a while. I feel that wimbledon was the last hurrah but come on...taking back the ranking? winning wimbledon? 6 titles including 2 masters? Excellent year for a past his prime 31 year old haha. But Murray is on a mission, with new belief now that he's got the slam monkey off his back...he's taking wimbledon this year imo.

Oh right...Rafa coming back next month, I'm not fond of him but I've truly missed his presence.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympics was strange, since its a bunch of 3 setters then a 5 setter. Federer was emotionally/physically drained from that Delpo epic. Murray was superb, likely would have won either way. Murray winning the USO was no surprise, he'd been making great strides since he teamed up with Lendl (in majors, his normal tournament performance was subpar last year...not a single masters i think? he's generally good for 2 or 3). Aside from the wawrinka match...Djokovics matches were eerie. He hits winners at will It's almost creepy.
    I can agree with the points you made there.

Djokovic only had to play less than 90 minutes against Ferrer, whereas Murray had to go five sets against Federer, so I give the advantage to Djokovic in this final.

Oh i knew he'd lose lol. I just want this quarterfinal streak to go on for a while. I feel that wimbledon was the last hurrah but come on...taking back the ranking? winning wimbledon? 6 titles including 2 masters? Excellent year for a past his prime 31 year old haha. But Murray is on a mission, with new belief now that he's got the slam monkey off his back...he's taking wimbledon this year imo.

Oh right...Rafa coming back next month, I'm not fond of him but I've truly missed his presence.
    I don't know. Perhaps. Wimbledon could go either way. What's your pick for the Australian Open, Murray?

Having Rafa in the SFs would've been a lot better than Ferrer. A lot more competition that way.

New Reply
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast