Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Musician's Song

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Musician's Song

Quote Originally Posted by ying_su View Post
    A question: The song in the Anime and in the Manga are really partially different???
    Or it just the translation ARE different??

Btw, i extracted the japanase from the manga:
    (As spoilers to save space )

Spoiler show

With them i'll try to understand why that huge differences between translation^^
    as far as I know

the only difference is that in the anime version the word "yume "(dream) is sung twice, but the manga version only has one "yume"
    may check volume 14 raw chapter 135 on mangahelper to be sure

yume

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the praying is continuous so... its done by someone alive. If you take the song literaly. So its not the 14th that is the person in the song thats singing. Its about the 14th but the person praying for all this is someone else.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rukiah's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

one question Xd....¿who is the singer? Sanea Kobayashi?

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Defade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rukiah View Post
    one question Xd....¿who is the singer? Sanea Kobayashi?
    As far as I can tell, she sung it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rukiah's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Defade View Post
    As far as I can tell, she sung it.
    oO oks thanks ^^
    **Signature thanks for Vado Esteban^^**

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ying_su View Post
    A question: The song in the Anime and in the Manga are really partially different???
    Or it just the translation ARE different??

Btw, i extracted the japanase from the manga:
    (As spoilers to save space )

Spoiler show

With them i'll try to understand why that huge differences between translation^^
    for the song differs in just 2 parts thats 1 of the reasons i believe the anime is more spoilering towards the future then the manga does.
    the word dream is repeated and the kissing part is added i think thats it. Thats why i believe that its not about Mana + 14th unless kissing between brothers is normal in Japan? Well i thought physical contact was a kinda taboo there anyways but i could be wrong lol.

Well matter of fact the kissing sentence only apears in the 2nd final time 14th/Allen sings it. In the tv-series that is.

Personaly i believe the song is linked between 2 persons either Allen/14th & Road or Allen/14th & Lenalee.And not what many people think its linked to Mana. either way its with a female. Perhaps in the Manga at the time Hoshino wanted to keep it way more secretive but the Anime takes things way further earlier in the story anyways.
    Last edited by ca12nag3; May 29, 2009 at 06:28 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member TitaniumChloride's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Erm, actually, there's a bit about the Musician's Song in the fan book that says that it was largely based on the song that Hoshino's editor made.

Apparently she was kind of stuck on writing it, so she phoned her editor and said "Please make up two songs in 3 days!" and he said "I can't do it!". Upon hearing that, she said something along the lines of "Do it somehow," and hung up on him, leaving him puzzled. So in the end, he did make only one song, which Hoshino found to be much better than her amateur-like attempt. She used it word for word in the manuscipt, which shocked him. I'm not sure whether it's the same song that debuted in the manga though.

Well, that's not the whole story but it's the general gist of that part of the interview. Gosh, Hoshino's so sneaky.

So... should we really be analysing this song so much?

A corrected version is a few posts down. v

Oh yeah, about the different translations. I guess it's because different translators were doing it. Most translators have to use their own experience to make sense of the Japanese for us, which can definitely lead to translations not being the same. This song is also a little vague, so it's easy to interpret it a little differently. Also, note that one is a written version (manga) and the other is sung (anime). The latter might have added that extra 'yume' for it to sound better.
    Last edited by TitaniumChloride; May 30, 2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: I was wrong

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

True about the yume and that translating is hard tho the anime version also has the kissing part, now if thats done by the animators or with consent of Hoshino/manga team i dunno...

So what do you think? i meen the song generaly speaks of a person being born, expected to arive. Something like a Prophecy.

I asume Hoshino told her editor what she wanted in it. Perhaps just blunt info and he literaly took that and made it into songtext?

Anyways the prophetic nature of the song is rather clear. And its my bet its just about the 14ths arival/return and whos praying for it? i meen if its Mana sure the manga would point it his way. Only the anime messes that up for me with the kissing part. Now i wonder how much should those few words matter? Specialy since they are put there by the anime team.

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ca12nag3: Actually, the 'kiss his hand' part is very much a part of the song, it's not made up. The only addition was the extra 'yume'. See chapter 135.

Anyway, looking at the full song with only my dodgy Japanese knowledge (I'm trying not to base my judgment according to the interpretation of another translator), it's reminds me a lot of a lullaby as Allen had stated on the same page, so no help there.

So just to get another viewpoint of this song, I'm going to assume that Allen has nothing to with it.

I'm going to take a guess and say that this song was just a memory of the 14th. A woman (judging from the silhouette that appeared when Allen first heard the song sung in his head) the 14th knew, maybe someone that was precious to him, sang this song for him.

Gotta go now but I'm gonna spend some more time analyzing this song more so I might come up with something else later.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i looked up the kissing part didnt show up on the translations online. I missed it? Looked for it today? Or ill just wait for my copy of VIZ before i comment on it just got to wait 2 months :S.
    Anyway it is a part of the story, the song is. And you cant realy dismiss it as Allen has nothing to do with it cause he = the new 14th if you like it or not.

I like to analize things even tho its hard in english cause its not my native language but i try.
    So this character that is awaiying the 14ths arival asumed to be female. Cause males kissing males is not this typ of manga.

Candidates?

Lenalee Lee would fit nice to it shes close to Allen and has dreams similar to and also prophetic like Allens visions lately. Only downfall is that Lenalee didnt know Allen and possibly not the 14th when the song was made? On the other hand a prophetic song could just talk about anyone.
    Maria who is controled by Cross would be a nice twist to the story if its her. Something happend to her that she died and Cross keeps her *undead* to use her innocence or is there more to it? She could have known the 14th if she were alive at the time. Love interest who knows.
    Road Kamelot would be another person who would fit the text since she did kiss Allen/14th claiming she doesnt kiss at all. Well it would be a weird twist also cause it seems she didnt expect Allen to be the 14th so how would she know or is she faking? Road said family comes first to Allen so she does not recognize him as if hes the 14th/her kin, perhaps she sees him as a traitor? Who knows.
    Last edited by ca12nag3; May 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siberia's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, did TitaniumChloride say the song is written by Hoshino's editor indeed not Hoshino herself?? if its true, there is no point to analysis the lyrics...
    Can someone translate this page or find something relevant to the 14th's song
    Spoiler show

I have got some resources of 14th 's song (three new official versions) and OST 3 booklet, u can refer to that post
    Last edited by Siberia; May 30, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
    MyList of reading n watching

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ca12nag3: Ah! I'm sorry for giving the impression that Allen has no relation to the song because he's not the 14th or something. I was in a rush while writing up that post, which was why I didn't include links to my references @_@ I was trying to say that I'm going to put aside conceptions that would easily tie it with Allen and focus on the fact that it's the -14th's- song, not -Allen's-. Here is the page with the full song in chapter 135 (I was just trying to point out the 'joined hands, and a kiss' part which you said wasn't in the manga ._.) And that's only the translation by Carlos Net. There are also a few others like cnet128's, kirimi's and xophien's (which I can't find atm but was used in Whatever Scan's release). And if you're wondering how I came to know of these translations, it's because I was really desperate to decipher the lullaby when the chapter was first released, though I'm still not sure what to think of it. ^ ^;

@yvonnelsw: I'm afraid I've made a mistake with my earlier post about the details of the interview. >< About that picture from the OST btw, it's nothing more than a message from the composer about his time working on the DGM anime making the songs and a shorter comment from Hoshino at the end about how her favourite song on the disk is 'Tsunaida Te ni Kusu wo' (Musician's Song), how grateful she is for the work the composers have done, how even though the anime had ended the songs will continue to encourage her and keep her drawing... something like that.

@everyone who read my previous post with the part about the interview:
    Sorry! I really was in a rush to get that part of the interview I found posted that I skimmed through it badly and it was mostly based on a line I misinterpreted. I've looked at it again and here's a corrected version as well as the transcript of that section in case I'm still wrong.

Spoiler: Original Gray Ark interview transcript of 星野先生&N氏の共作!?方舟奏者の唄 part with respective footnotes show

A general summary:
    During development, even though she had to come up with the song, she couldn't think of a direction to take it to. Editor Y (her editor at the time) gave her the idea to to ask someone in the Editorial Department. She thought to ask Editor N (her current editor) since he's got a university degree and was probably better with words than she was, and tried her luck by unreasonably asking him to "Please make 2 songs in 3 days" over the phone. When he said that he can't, she told him to come up with them somehow and hung up. Editor N did manage to come up with one song despite that. When the time came for him to read the manuscript, he saw a completely different song; he saw that not even a single word from his song was referenced and was greatly shocked (this was the line where I started messing up earlier).

The truth was, the song she thought up herself then was fairly inexperienced and she read Editor N's song without any expectations. She found it much better than hers and when she read it, somehow or other she got an image of what she wanted to do with the song. Thereupon she thought of it as a collaboration. She started by writing Editor N's song with one hand and then words started coming to her for the Musician's Song (this part of the interview was quite awkward for me to translate so I hope I'm close to the real meaning...).

So I guess Hoshino wrote it after all and that there's barely any resemblance to Editor N's song, though Hoshino is still keeping the original somewhere.

I'm really very sorry for the mess up. m(_ _)m
    Last edited by TitaniumChloride; May 30, 2009 at 05:16 AM.

16. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member andrewsungchehau's Avatar
    Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really interesting and fun how Hoshino sensei came out with the Musician's Song.xD I'm glad the anime did a great job on the song and Hoshino sensei love it. Don't worry, not only the song will encourage her, we manga readers and fans of D Gray Man will also support her.

As for the song, I think it's kind of like in relation with prayer, which the prayer prays for many million years and the 'joined hand and a kiss' part might imply giving support to prayer.(My explanation is based on the song)

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my thoughts go to a female character that says this prayer for the 14th and awaits his arival... But who is this female character?
    You see i dont think like many other people think that its Mana. Thats pretty much all i dispute over. Now that Allen will be the new 14th is without doubt. And any theorizing over that would be out of topic.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

My Idea of the song, is actually something related to the Noah

Since it is the 14th Noah Song ---> Bible

I think it talking about the Prayers to God, and a special little child, whose mother is singing this Lullaby to him

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast