Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first clean and clone

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My first clean and clone

I finally decided to seriously try to learn photoshop and maybe help some group in the far future.

Naruto raw

Naruto cleaned

Manga panel raw-pre cloned

Manga panel cloned

I followed the M7 tutorial and the idiot's guide. Both were easy enough, though the naruto clean took a while. Oh, and I would have taken care of the upper right panel in the naruto clean, but photoshop would no longer let me edit it. I also screwed up Karin's glasses. I will look for some harder raws to clean since the Naruto one was pretty easy. I just leveled and used the polygonal lasso tool.

Hoshi Ota 1 Raw
    Hoshi Ota 1 Cleaned

Hoshi Ota 2 Raw
    Hoshi Ota 2 Cleaned
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 13, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member nxlouco's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first clean and clone

I cant see them? it says they're private....
    Credits To Akasunanosasori For The Sig

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I changed the private settings.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I see Them now..........Ok for the Naruto one, yes the page was easy however, you did not finish filling in the blacks....Just leveling is kind of difficult to get a nice result sometimes, try some filters.... The redrawing is nice, however we can see some of the lines are not totally straight....

What do you mean "Oh, and I would have taken care of the upper right panel in the naruto clean, but photoshop would no longer let me edit it."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. When I had the .psd open last night, I could no longer use clone on the naruto pic. I probably didn't have something checked or something. I can clone it now, even though I just tried it a few minutes ago, and couldn't clone. Anyway I should have saved as png, then edited that, but I wasn't thinking. I don't get what you mean by I didn't finish filling in the blacks though. Can you give me an example?

Edit: Can you recommend a good filter. I tried all the default ones, and none of them had the effect of making blacks simply black.

Edit2: About the clone tool, yeah it was hard to get the lines near straight. I now understand it was the align tool which caused it to keep going white even though I cloned the line. Also I think it's a bug, or mess up by the developers that causes the clone tool to clone the missing text or lines you just removed unless you let go of the mouse button.
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 13, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Digitalr's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CupofDice View Post
    Anyway I should have saved as png, then edited that, but I wasn't thinking.
    Don't do that, it equals qualityloss.. Just keep working in PSD till you're done. Only create a png when you want to release
    Quote Quote:
    I don't get what you mean by I didn't finish filling in the blacks though. Can you give me an example?
    Take the magic wand tool, tolerance on 0, contiguous off, antialias off. and click on a black spot.. if you don't see any selections within the black area it means it's completely black. Same goes for the white areas

Quote Quote:
    Edit: Can you recommend a good filter. I tried all the default ones, and none of them had the effect of making blacks simply black.
    If it were that easy

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalr View Post
    Take the magic wand tool, tolerance on 0, contiguous off, antialias off. and click on a black spot.. if you don't see any selections within the black area it means it's completely black. Same goes for the white areas
    Thanks for telling me that. It should definitely make things easier in the future. The clothes and hair were all black, so I assume nxlouco meant the mouths, eyebrows, and Suigetsu's sword. Also do I have to worry about cleaning the white areas like I do the black?

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you worry for the white, if they are really dirty and full of specs and dirt,(But always try if possible to clean the whites)..... the outside of panels as well....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, thanks for the help.

Okay, this time I tried a page from the new fairy tail. I think it turned out okay. Used the magic wand, and I think I wiped out out the specks from the black, and I probably got most of the specks from the white. I also handled the sfx this time, and I cloned Natsu's vest, and add gray pattern to the the inside of his vest. I also added removed and made better borders using the method in the compendium. Would have used the gray on Natsu, but it didn't look right.

A few questions.

Should I have kept the borders the way they were since they weren't crooked?

Was the leveling on Natsu correct? Should I have found a gray that looked right on him? I compared it to someone's cleaning of Natsu from the last chapter and it looked pretty close.

Did I handle the text in the upper left the right way?
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 15, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice new clean!! I'd say solid MQ just tipping HQ!!
    -The borders are nice, but do you know how big did you make the pixels, cause maybe just make it 1 more pixel thick, I think It'd look nice , but the current ones are alright...
    -Yeah I think Natsu is alright no problem, but yes if you wish to make HQ Scans, you'd try to replace the grays...
    -Yeah, for a nice scan good typesetting would be able to cover that part nicely, and it'd look like nothing was there, but again for Solid HQ you'd redraw that whole part.......

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding again. Yeah, I only had 1 pixel for the borders when it was supposed to be three. I also tried gris hq gray pattern for Natsu, but it didn't look right, though I did the inside of his vest.

Here are some more-

Fairy Tail-

Blazer Drive-

Last edited by CupofDice; May 15, 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice ones as Well, if you keep improving like this you'll be an expert with no time, I mean for Fairy Tail and Blazer Driver MQ-HQ scans you're a shoe-in!! Do you have any ideas with what quality and what series you want to work with?

Oh yeah and I'd say border lines are usually 2px, which is the one you used on Blazer Driver?
    Last edited by nxlouco; May 15, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to get better at noizy.forummotion.com so I can work with them. They need cleaners. They do Naruto, Fairy Tail, Kekkaishi, One Piece, and Double Arts. All are favorites of mine. I also like some lesser known series like Nabari no Ou (being scanned by szj), Ga-rei, and Lunar Legend. About quality I want to do HQ, but solid MQ can do for now.

I used 3 px on both I think, but I used the method here on mh, which means I may have screwed up and took too much off with the rectangle tool on the Blazer Drive page. Or it could be that rectangle tool attached itself to the guides I had set down , and I may have made a layer mistake (is that possible?) which caused the BD's lines to be thinner than FT's.
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 15, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

xDD you know what I do sometimes I make the Border lines stretch out to see how thick they should be....
    Likes This * This is just an example, but you can see the line goes on after the panel so then I can see how thick it is*. Its just this shortcut I use :P
    not exactly necessary, Good Luck With NS!! and any Questions you can always come and ask here at MH
    Last edited by nxlouco; May 15, 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I do that too so I can have a place to set the rectangle tool. When I finally noticed that the tool was attaching itself to the guide (which was in the middle of the new border) I took the pencil and went over it again. So I think it was just some sort of weird layer mistake. I also had a problem where when I zoomed into the FT page, the lines were perfect, but at normal size I could see border dust (from the new borders) at the corners. I think my Photoshop just hates me. I guess I will have to be more careful when making layers. I think that was my problem somehow.

Well I have been accepted as a scanlator at noizy. I had to learn speed scanning and I finally got good enough. Can't wait to do my first project. Thanks MH for all these bloody tutorials.
    Last edited by CupofDice; May 16, 2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast