Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
Corresponding Reference: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index....sg8225#msg8225
Here's the tutorial for CLEANING MANGA FOR ZAROSAKI
I tried to make this tutorial as easy to follow as (nearly) possible. So don't be startled by it being a little lengthy.
I've decided to clean Page 07 from Chapter 275.
This a pretty simple page, but it includes everything you need to know to clean ANY Naruto manga page.
I will be using ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS2 for this tutorial. I'm not certain, but any version of Photoshop should be conformable for this tutorial.
Well, let's start.
1) First open up the page you want to clean. (275-07 in this case)
When you open the page, it will be in "Indexed Color" mode. We have to change it to "RGB Color Mode" to utilize all the tools we need. Do so by going to "Image > Mode > RGB Color"
2) After doing this, you'll notice the locked layer titled "Index" has now changed to "Background." This layer is still locked, so we need unlock it by double-clicking this "Background" layer. A new box will pop and ask you to rename the layer. Rename it to "Lineart". Note: You can actually rename this layer to whatever you want; it doesn't make a difference.
Next set the mode of this layer from "Normal" to "Hard Light"
3) Now we need to remove the midtones. Midtones are any colors between black and white (basically the grey areas). To do this, select the Lasso Tool (by pressing "L"). With this tool, draw a circle around the grey areas. You will need to draw more than one circle, usually, so hold the "Shift" key while circling each if these grey areas. It should look like this:
Make sure to enclose the cricles
4) With these selected grey areas, make a new layer UNDER the "Lineart" layer. Now we are going to fill this layer with white. Go to "Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color."
Make sure you fill this layer with white (in the Color Picker).
5) After you've finished step four, the midtones should be cleaned from the page.
6) Now it's time to clean the black parts. Select the "Lineart" layer again and switch to the Magic Wand tool (by pressing "W"). Now select EVERY black area you see.
After selecting all the black areas, contract the areas by two pixels. Do so by going to "Select > Modify > Contract." Be sure to contract by 2.
7) Now fill these contracted areas with white. Do this pressing "ALT + Backspace." Note: Make sure white is the primary selected color. Now deselect these areas by clicking a random spot on the page (with the magic wand tool). Your page should now be cleaned of all the black areas.
You could be finished now, but to completely clean a page it is important to "fix up" the minor problems.
8) Notice Chiyo's Panel. There are many minor probs that need to be fixed.
First off, notice how there are "double-lines." These double lines are BAD! Coloring over these would be a big NO NO. Therefore, we need to only have "single-lines." There are many ways to do this, but the easiest way would be to simply delete one of the lines. NOTE: When I say, "delete" DO NOT use the eraser tool. Use the brush tool (with white selected as the color) and color over one of the lines.
Then we have the redrawing portion. Switch the color to black and draw needed black lines to make the pic look good. Make sure that when you redraw any lines that the brush tool is sized 1. Here's how mine's looks:
9) This step is basically the same as the step above; but it is just as crucial. Now look at Sasori's Panel.
Notice the blood dripping from his injury. These lines have to be removed. Also, these lines are exactly like ACTION LINES, so handle them accordingly. To remove these "action lines" (I guess ), we have to color OVER them with black using the brush tool. It should look like this:
After you've done this, just contract the black parts and fill them with white (just like steps 6 and 7). Then fix up the white area by redrawing neccessary lines.
I just redrew the lines quickly, though it doesn't matter how neat it is. We'll fix all that stuff over at Zarosaki.
10) Finally, go to "File > Save As > Chapter-Page Number.png, upload to imageshack, and either post here or PM me.
If there are any problems with this tutorial, please make a post so I can better clarify. Thanx
Looking for a page to start on NOW?! Pick any page from chapters 276-current. Make sure to post that you're working on it, though. That way two people won't be working on the same page.
THANX AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT!!!
EDIT: Tips from Clarity142 from Zarosaki!!!
Just a little helping hand. . Thanx Clarity142.Originally Posted by clarity142
Image URL fixed - Zenith
yea, thats what i do, i invert for the "black on black" parts, where there are white outlines
Comes in handy !
Good job on that - very helpful!
nice! that helped me a lot! well.... now i can clean manga!!!!
try first !!
thanks a lot for this , great tutorial XD, helps a lot
awesome thisll really help
is there anyway to convert grey lines to black on the cloth folds.
i am not able to remove them using contract. what i did was used brush and pen tool to redraw all the grey lines. it took quite some time to do everything. is there any better way to clean this?
I don't get it im sorry to break this to u but this tutorial was screwed coz a cleaner is supposed to clean and make scanlation look good not delete everything like you did with the grey parts
really one should not refer to this tutorial im sorry
I have to agree. Removing all the greys and midtones "just because" is a bad, bad thing.
yeah i agree with you.
cleaners is cleaner, not a redrawer~
here my new cleaning technic that i use. http://darkphantom.co.cc
my naruto 502 is much better than mangastream have~
I agree. Why would you delete the bloodstains and replace them with just contours. That's bulls***, and looks crap too
Geez, would you people please just stfu if you haven't been with the scene for long enough?
Zarosaki was a Naruto coloring group, an epic one at that. This tutorial is for preparing images to be colored, so of course they'll remove unnecessary details and midtones to "line" the image for coloring.
Know your shit before you start trash-talking others.
Last edited by zidane; January 01, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
It doesn't say so in the tut itself, the title is tutorial to cleaning, not tutorial to cleaning before coloring, right? So people just misunderstood. and btw, just because I haven't been around on the forum that long doesn't mean I've read about 50 different titles. Don't judge people on their postcount