Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Detroit Metal City

Holy Knight 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Agrias's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Detroit Metal City

Title: Detroit Metal City
    Genres: Seinen (18+), Comedy
    Author: Wakasugi Kiminori
    Artist: Wakasugi Kiminori
    Publication: Young Animal
    Start Date: 2006
    End Date: Ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 5 volumes
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 32 chapters

General Overview: Negichi Souchi, a farm boy who loves Swedish pop, comes to Tokyo to study and pursue his dream - making good music to fill the hearts of people with joy. How he ends up singing in a brutal death metal band, we don't know…

Detroit Metal City is a story about a calm, shy boy that changes completely when stepping on the stage. That's when a death metal legend rises from the depths of hell, dressed in shiny armor, blonde wig and heavy make-up! Meet Johannes Krauser II!

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 6
    When I saw the first volume cover, the only word that came to my mind was "ugly"; my opinion hasn't changed since then. It gets a little better in later chapters, but it’s nothing outstanding. Backgrounds are rare, and the characters are bland.
    The funny thing is that the crappy art does suit the plot perfectly. You'll get used to it, and sometimes it’s so bad that it even adds up to the comedy!

Plot: 7
    The plot is simple, and it doesn't wish to be much more than that. Most chapters are standalone ones, but they do have some sort of connection.
    Basically, the story revolves around Negichi's misadventures while struggling to manage his double personalities without being discovered, dealing with crazy fans and a horny producer, trying to get an old crush's attention and, most importantly, trying to abandon this metal life that he hates so much, to start a career playing the pop songs that he loves. Unfortunately for him, it's a lot harder (and hilarious!) than it seems...

Characters: 8
    The main cast is small, but the charisma of the main character is more than enough to keep you reading. Protagonist Negishi / Krauser is awesome, and almost every chapter is based on his daily life.
    Jagi (bass) and Camus (drums), his bandmates, are actually Wada Masayuki and Nishida Terumishi; the first is a dedicated musician; the second is a food lover and shameless pervert. Their roles are very small compared to Negishi’s.
    The other outstanding characters are the president / band’s producer, always getting way too excited about the band; and Aikawa Yuri, Negishi’s love interest. Many other small characters appear, all of them with a unique trait.

Theme: 7
    Being a music manga, people tend to compare it to Beck. They have nothing in common except the theme. DMC is meant to be a careless, slapstick, “mature” comedy only, with music playing an important part on it. It’s a big metal parody, making fun of all those well known stereotypes: the black metal make-up (corpse paint), the 80’s “hair bands”, the lyrics, the “rock legends” and all - definitely not recommended to the sensible ones.

Originality: 10
    Where else will you find a manga about an indie guy who sings death metal? The situations are so absurd that you’ll never know what waits for you next. If there’s something outstanding about this one, it is its originality.

Overall: 8
    If you are over 18, have a slight knowledge of rock/metal and you’re looking for pure brainless fun, this is the manga for you. Make sure you have no problems with cursing, inappropriate language, mature situations and sensible matters though, as true warriors of metal have no liking for such insignificant, sissy behavior. All hail Krauser-san! Go to DMC!

Spoiler: Images show
    Last edited by Agrias; June 02, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thiagojoe's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detroit Metal City

Nice review, i don't enjoy this kind of story but your words are objective and clear!!! And this guitar player seems to have come from Kiss!!! hehehe!!!
    Chemical Engineer|Polymer Chemistry Master|Amateur Poet

Holy Knight 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Agrias's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thiagojoe View Post
    Nice review, i don't enjoy this kind of story but your words are objective and clear!!! And this guitar player seems to have come from Kiss!!! hehehe!!!
    The author is a huge Kiss fan...the manga was named after one of their songs, "Detroit Rock City" (that was a theme for a movie about a Kiss cover band xD).

There's going to be an anime series and a live-action movie to DMC, and Gene Simmons (Kiss founder - bass/vocals), is going to make a cameo appearence on it. Very fitting. :]
    Here's the making of, Gene appears on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QygI7GuS4GY

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review

Quote Quote:
    If you are over 18, have a slight knowledge of rock/metal and you’re looking for pure brainless fun, this is the manga for you. Make sure you have no problems with cursing, inappropriate language, mature situations and sensible matters though, as true warriors of metal have no liking for such insignificant, sissy behavior.
    well, i certainly fit this demographic. the art certainly doesn't appeal to me much, but it's all good as long as the story is entertaining. i think i'm going to have to check this out the next time i'm in the mood for some r-rated comedy

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Lucifiel's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The manga is quite entertaining, I'd say. However, by chapter 30++, I felt the humor had sort of run out since they kept rehashing some of the earlier jokes and some of the new jokes weren't as funny anymore.

Still, if you're looking for something really funny and offensive, I think this title would do just fine.

vs. The World. 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hermie's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I love music manga, especially about rock/metal, so this is definitely going on my list. ^^ Thanks Agi-chan. <3

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner zumb1e's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg...i read that and can only say one thing: GO TO DMC!!!! \m/_

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

this is awesome... will add it to my to-read list, thanks!

New Reply