Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dragon Ball by Toriyama Akira

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dragon Ball by Toriyama Akira

Yes, because abysmal movies are totally worth dying for... Seriously, people take the movie too seriously. Hollywood tried to cash in on a popular show, and made a miserable adaptation. Where's the surprise in this? Hollywood adaptations of cartoons have almost always gone badly, Japanese and American (Speed Racer apparently wasn't received so well either). They can do American comics pretty decently, and books are hit or miss (some of what people call the finest movies ever were based on books. Or we just get derivative, hacked up sludge.) But I don't think that there's ever been a cartoon movie that came out well. The only form of adaption that ever does worse is video game movies. Those are legendarily bad.

I'm past the point where I care about Evolutions anymore, except for a bit of hope that its sequels are a bit better and/or more faithful to the original story (I think I'd take either at this point). I'm just hoping that the critics don't decide to lambaste the actual manga and/or anime based on the abysmal story and characterization of the movie, because the original story, for all of its flaws, is far better executed than the movie, it's simply a more entertaining story. And even if the critics do lambaste it, so what? I know the original story and I love it, and I've got it lying in my closet, and that's enough for me.

...Yeah, these last two posts probably oughta be moved to the Dragonball: Evolutions thread in the Otaku Theater...

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragon Ball consideration in the world?

Hi.

I would like to help me solve a doubt about the consideration of Dragon Ball in the world.

For 20 years, in Spain and Latin America, Dragon Ball is a fever. Many other series as Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya are remembered, but only Dragon Ball fandom is still alive (sometimes, it's really morbid o_OU).

My question is if in other countries Dragon Ball had a boom SO big, and if it continues today.

Thanks.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm living in Berlin, Germany.

Back in the day DB introduced me to the manga world. So I'm sincerely grateful for Toriyama. As to ur question, I'm not entirely sure whether DB still is a "fever" or not. Since I'm not watching ty in general anymore, except the news. However I can assure u that DB is still remembered.

You sure revived a long forgotten thread. I watched DB early 2000, so around 10 years ever since. I'm 25 now.. damn brings back some nostalgic memories.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

What I mean with fever is that, for some examples, in Spain Dragon Ball has never ceased to broadcast on television, its fandom believe it's the greatest anime series of the history around the world surpassing even Naruto or One Piece even today, they use video games and merchandising as an argument that it's still alive, like that others did not exist, and every year (really!) there is fake rumors that Toriyama will returns to continue the manga. I wonder if something similar happens in other countries.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DestyNova4th View Post
    What I mean with fever is that, for some examples, in Spain Dragon Ball has never ceased to broadcast on television, its fandom believe it's the greatest anime series of the history around the world surpassing even Naruto or One Piece even today, they use video games and merchandising as an argument that it's still alive, like that others did not exist, and every year (really!) there is fake rumors that Toriyama will returns to continue the manga. I wonder if something similar happens in other countries.
    In Italy they broadcast it every year...almost

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love this manga and anime, it set the standard for action type comics and cartoons for the next generation , and to this point in my opinion it has yet to be surpassed

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Some real pics

Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    oh my, those are fabulous, they look so... alien...

anyway, i hope DB has more interactions between the characters in it and minor characters aren't just being a sidekick for the main character, just like how it throw yamcha away despite his important role in the beginning of the series. i still think it can be expanded so much

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3