Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball by Toriyama Akira

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to download Dragonball?

^^ Actually I concur, the Viz English publications are really really good (despite the editing out of some harsh, badass profanity from Vegeta and nudity throughout) and definetly worth buying.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuzo View Post
    http://gotlurk.net/?action=dosearch

If they are the same ones I got off of there a couple years ago the quality is pretty bad, it'd be nice if someone scanlated the kanzenban edition tankoubons.
    How do I download from that? It crashed my Firefox...

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member LoktarOgar's Avatar
    Country
    North Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

That's because you have to use IRC.
    "I'm Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise." - Jack O'Neill

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, IRC for #lurk. I'll see if I can find any DDL links for you.

And can a mod move this thread to the Otaku Cafe??

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ulgen's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MH Shounen Hangout

I'm searching of a pic of Son-Goku in different clothes. He is wearing a Turban and a blue gi while carrying an umbrella. He is wearing it at Dragonball Ep. 133. I would like to find him with the turban and without?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dragon Ball by Toriyama Akira

Why do people always bash DBZ... is it because of the Anime?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgen View Post
    I'm searching of a pic of Son-Goku in different clothes. He is wearing a Turban and a blue gi while carrying an umbrella. He is wearing it at Dragonball Ep. 133. I would like to find him with the turban and without?
    What you're looking for is the outfit that Goku was wearing when he arrived at the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament (or Tenkaichi Budokai, if you aren't using the American dub names). He only wore it for a few pages, though, but I could put them up for you. I warn you, though, they're in black and white, that chapter wasn't done in color. At least, I think it wasn't, I'd need to check the kanzenban to make sure.

EDIT: Alright, here you go. Page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5, page 6, page 7. Those are from kanzenban #12 or tankobon # 14, however you wanna divide it. The chapter wasn't in color, so neither was Goku or his outfit, so if you want color, the anime is the best you have. But those are all the pages in which Goku appears in that uniform in the series, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    Why do people always bash DBZ... is it because of the Anime?
    Mostly, yes. The manga's pacing was actually very good, whereas about a third of the anime was filler. I mean, take the Spirit Bomb (or the Genki Dama, if you're not used to the American dub names) that Goku used against Frieza. In the manga, it took about two chapters, one to charge it, and one to throw it and for it to hit Frieza. It was a humongous attack in a climactic fight, and there was some fighting and twists as it went on (whether or not Frieza would attack Goku and make him drop the attack), and the chapters flow smoothly and without dragging on at all. In the anime, that took about 3 episodes to happen. And an episode, when covering only canon material without dragging things out overmuch usually covers about 2 chapters, so that's 6 chapters worth of anime for about 2 chapters of manga, for a 1/3 canon-to-filler ratio for the anime. And that's consistent more or less throughout the series.
    Last edited by Imitorar; February 20, 2009 at 01:29 AM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The original series (before Raditz's arrival) was better than DBZ in my opinion. Besides having a better pace and the fact that human characters weren't ignored, there was a lot more strategy and interesting (non-energy) attacks during fights. My favourite fight in the entire series has to be the final match between Goku and Tien. I loved the climax when Goku lost when he was hit by a car!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    The original series (before Raditz's arrival) was better than DBZ in my opinion. Besides having a better pace and the fact that human characters weren't ignored, there was a lot more strategy and interesting (non-energy) attacks during fights. My favourite fight in the entire series has to be the final match between Goku and Tien. I loved the climax when Goku lost when he was hit by a car!
    I agree with you. Pre-Raditz I enjoyed the most.

I liked the King Piccolo arc the most in Dragonball. The Frieza Arc was very very good but I still don't think it measured up to the King Piccolo arc.

I felt that all the characters got time in the spotlight instead of Goku and Vegeta.
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; February 22, 2009 at 01:30 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I enjoy even what Dragon Ball became after the Saiyans. It really IS practically two different series', I easily understand why Toei decided to add the Z (what's funny is that Toriyama decided to differentiate between the two phases of the story by using the last letter of the alphabet because he wanted the series to end quickly. Things obviously didn't happen that way.)

The human characters slowly becoming obsolete didn't bother me in the Frieza saga, when most of them were dead anyway, and at least Krillin and Piccolo were still useful. By Cell it was worse, with not only Chiaotzu, but even Yamcha (he was done when he took Goku to get his medicine) and Tien (when he tried to hold off Cell with the Kikoho after Cell absorbed Android #17), and then even Krillin (when he tried to destroy Cell Perfect after Cell absorbed Android #18) slowly phased out of the story. But still, the generational "passing down the mantle" feel of the last three volumes of the Cell saga were enough for me, the series seemed supposed to focus more on the father-son relationships between Goku and Gohan, and Vegeta and Trunks, respectively. And there were only about 4 volumes between when Tien and Krillin were phased out and the end of the Cell saga, so the uselessness of the humans wouldn't have been so unbearable.

But the Buu saga... The fights were dull, the villain was a pointless combination of Cell and Frieza (the invulnerability of Cell, the imposingness of the Frieza), with no motivation or character, with Goku brought back to life in an extraordinarily idiotic way, Gohan's character altered and cheapened, the introduction of the Fusion crutch (the Super Saiyan crutch got bad enough), the further cheapening of Super Saiyan (the other three doing it was bad enough, Super Saiyan 2 was bad enough, but at least that had build up. Super Saiyan 3 came out of NOWHERE), the relative dullness of the story (neither the thrills and adventure of the Frieza saga or the original series, or the action and drama of the Cell saga), and an abysmally unsatisfying ending, etc. I could go on and on about how much I loathe the Buu saga.

To me, Dragon Ball may have begun to shift from adventure and comedy to action/adventure and drama, and then slowly to action and drama, but the shift somehow seemed smooth, and I enjoyed the series despite it becoming farther and farther from its original incarnation. There was always something that made the story riveting and compelling. At least, for the first 35 volumes. I try to ignore the existence of the last 7 volumes, the Buu saga. I mean, the Cell saga had such a conclusive and beautiful ending that it seemed a crime to push the series on further, especially when the stagnation ended up getting the point where there were few (if any) redeeming factors yet. I consider everything through Cell to be true Dragon Ball. As for Buu, well, I consider that to be a small step above Dragonball GT.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ulgen's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Imitorar!
    Dragonball was awesome. The storyline changed and unexpected things happened. The character Goku was always developing into a greater individual but at a certain point of Dragonball Z it was just that they created new power levels for the Saiyans. There was no adventure just simple fights. The combination of different asian legends, myths and so on was fantastic. Actually what I liked most in the whole story was that the ways of Goku, his friends and foes were always crossing. There was no one who suddenly popped up, died and the story was over. For example Emperor Pilaf is always a part of the DB Universe. He never really vanished. He is always coming back and it is always an amusement for the reader. In the storyline of Dragonball Z you have this also until a certain point but for me the best plot is in Dragonball.
    Last edited by Ulgen; February 22, 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member v3g374's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys! Does Anyone have High Quality scans of the Tank (full) covers?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner darkhawk5's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuzo View Post
    http://gotlurk.net/?action=dosearch

If they are the same ones I got off of there a couple years ago the quality is pretty bad, it'd be nice if someone scanlated the kanzenban edition tankoubons.
    I'm working on scanlating the Kanzenban as of now...I have a few chapters up already

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member trunterzx's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched this anime when I was young, and I was really into it. I even imitated the Kamehameha! Haha

Now I'm reading through the manga, but I realised that Volume 39 (RAW) is missing... Does anyone have it? If have please help upload.

Thanks!
    Last edited by trunterzx; March 29, 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Freakzin's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

what is up with the world. seriously...... I could become a kamikaze airplane pilot, if giving my life away 2 years ago at the filming of Dragon Ball Evolution, would prevent the movie from existing..

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast