Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga you never want to read again (and why)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner LaughingMan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga you never want to read again (and why)

I know a lot of people have stuff they hate and can't see why in the hell it's popular. I was browsing through the Otaku Cafe and noticed the top 20 mangas thread and decided to make this!

You do not have to list reasons if you don't want! And please don't try to flame anyone's decisions in this thread! However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a civilized question or comment!

My Top 3!

1.One Piece
    2.Naruto
    3.D. Gray-man

My reason for disliking One Piece is probably due to my love for artwork, and I detest One Piece's.

Naruto... because it slowly developed a lot of plot holes and in my opinion lacks good character devlopment.

D. Gray-man; It feels like another attempt at copying what most shonens do, making one category of warriors and making a lot of them with various abilities. Basically it's completely unoriginal [of course this is just my opinion].
    Last edited by LaughingMan; June 26, 2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Adding on...
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend like I was one of those deaf-mutes."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bunshindattebayo's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Most Hated Mangas!

Is it okay to make a thread like this?Because this can lead to a big bashing storm.

Oh,and as a One Piece fan.I gotta say that One Piece's artwork is pretty damn good.Even better than Dragonball Z.Just try read it,and you'll see that the art improves later in the story.
    Last edited by bunshindattebayo; June 26, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22570&dateline=1205497510
    ~~Aren't they cute together?~~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that the people around this forum are mature enough to discuss something like this. I just want to discuss why some people dislike certain manga that some people consider award worthy. And about One Piece, I read it for about five volumes because of the advice of my friends. TBH it's about the worst I've seen [other than the new Hunter X Hunter chapters], but it's probably because of the style rather than the art. Dragonball Z is no where near the pintacle of animation either, the backgrounds are very simple and the characters lack detail, by taking someone's hair off of their head and putting it on another character you couldn't tell the difference.
    Last edited by LaughingMan; June 26, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Inuyasha is very horrible.. I dropped it from long time
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMan View Post
    And about One Piece, I read it for about five volumes because of the advice of my friends. TBH it's about the worst I've seen [other than the new Hunter X Hunter chapters], but it's probably because of the style rather than the art. Dragonball Z is no where near the pintacle of animation either, the backgrounds are very simple and the characters lack detail, by taking someone's hair off of their head and putting it on another character you couldn't tell the difference.
    I have the same thought with you when I first saw One Piece.But,don't stop at volume 5.Read till you reached volume 10,then you'll see some great fights and the art improvement.

On-topic:
    Mine is Mx0.How can a story about a boy who can't use magic even though he's in a magic school be popular?
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22570&dateline=1205497510

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    Inuyasha is very horrible.. I dropped it from long time
    Ugggh. I have nothing nice to say about Inuyasha. I used to like it then it got really stupid. Funny story: I'm still a mod for an Inuyasha forum. At least it has a nice general manga area.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kirimi's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that the people around this forum are mature enough to discuss something like this.
    I would hope so too, but perhaps just to tone it down, the thread title will be changed a bit.

For me, one example that came to mind was Hunter x Hunter. At first, I just couldn't take the technical terms and the need to explain every single attack in excruciating detail. The premise itself is not interesting either. Then, the art went rough, and giant bugs appeared. I gave up after that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga you never want to read again (and why)

I hate Inuyasha too, it starts off great but after a while it's just windscar, windscar, backlash wave ftw.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I beg to differ on One Piece, it's almost disney-esque style in pretty much up to and past the skypiea arc carries a definite charm, and the current art is brilliant too, if getting a bit too actiony.

Inuyasha is a series i truly can't stand, being mindless derivative drivel dressing itself up as brilliance, and falling far short.

outside of that I can honestly say the appeal of series like Baki the grappler is lost on me, with an art style that seems to intentionally make everyone look like they've had their brains cave in

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Imo, One Piece's style is incredibly simple, ugly, and original. The facial features are extremely simple or over exaggerated. The bodies of One Piece characters [i.e their fingers and feet] have a circular and cartoonish looks to them too. I don't think the artists are lazy or anything, again I just think his style is extremely ugly and intolerable.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Imo, One Piece's style is incredibly simple, ugly, and original. The facial features are extremely simple or over exaggerated. The bodies of One Piece characters [i.e their fingers and feet] have a circular and cartoonish looks to them too. I don't think the artists are lazy or anything, again I just think his style is extremely ugly and intolerable.
    The unusual art is one of the elements that makes this manga great.It looks fresh and funny,so all shonen readers can enjoy a brand new art style that's different from the too detailed or generic shonen manga art style.It's really similiar to Fairy Tail and Rave.When you see a fight scene,you'll see that the art suddenly get detailed.
    Last edited by bunshindattebayo; June 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Reborn
    Samurai Deeper Kyo
    Shaman King

just about the 3 worst shounen series I've read

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all: imo you should at least have tried a manga to give your opinion about it. So Let's say I'll give three mangas that someone gave to me but didn't appeal me at all
    1. Cromartie Highschool
    2. Yakitate Japan
    3. Genshiken

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LegACy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh? May I know why you dislike Japan, koenosaki?

For me, it's
    1. Inuyasha > It feels like an action-adventure Doraemon...
    2. Bleach
    3. Real

And about One Piece, TBH, I only follow it first for it's fighting scenes (I love Luffy's naming for technique). But heck, I fell in love with it when it reach Enies Lobby arc, and now it's just getting Epic. And , when I reread it from the beginning again... it makes me really wonder why I dislike it, the drama at the first parts is just awesome!! (Jeff leg eating, Bellemere's sacrifice)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunshindattebayo View Post
    The unusual art is one of the elements that makes this manga great.It looks fresh and funny,so all shonen readers can enjoy a brand new art style that's different from the too detailed or generic shonen manga art style.It's really similiar to Fairy Tail and Rave.When you see a fight scene,you'll see that the art suddenly get detailed.
    I don't think One Piece's art is detailed at all, and I've seen a few of it's fight scenes however mostly from the beginning of the series, even though I did see another one [Luffy and Blueno]. Imo you're using the word detailed too lightly, and that most manga isn't detailed at all. Examples of detailed manga though would include Vagabond, REAL or Berserk. That's just my opinion as someone trying to obtain the skill in order to create my own manga.

Also I agree with the comments that Reborn, Shaman King, and Samurai Deeper Kyo are bad mangas lol. And Legacy! Why don't you like REAL?! Btw, Bleach is another manga I don't want to read anymore either, went straight to hell after the soul society saga.

New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast