Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eyeshield 21 characters based on...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eyeshield 21 characters based on...

Well... Monta's number is 80 which is Jerry Rice's... Dunno if anyone's mentioned this yet... too lazy to check.

Edit: Yup, I'm retarded... ;P

EDIT 2: I rectified my error... read this... what does this remind you of?

"Jerry Rice attended Mississippi Valley State University, becoming a standout on the football team. He acquired the nickname 'World' because there wasn't a ball in the world he couldn't catch. Statistics from his college career are rather sparse and inconsistent, but the College Football Hall of Fame website claims that Rice, as a sophomore in 1982, caught 66 passes for 1,133 yards and 7 touchdowns. That was his first season playing with redshirt freshman quarterback Willie Totten, nicknamed 'Satellite.' Together, Totten and Rice would become known as 'The Satellite Express' and set numerous NCAA records in the run-and-shoot offense of coach Archie Cooley, nicknamed 'The Gunslinger.'"
    Last edited by Linfone; July 25, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kazuma_uzumaki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xophien View Post
    It's a chestnut, though ("Kuri" of Kurita means chestnut >.>)
    I don't care it looks more like a peach to me >_>

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be off topic, I think, but to me Shien is probably not based on him, but he reminds me of the quick-draw gunslinger, Colt Brennan, By their wierd throwing motion, Facial Features, and super quick release.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Bo Ashi's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deimon021 View Post
    It might be off topic, I think, but to me Shien is probably not based on him, but he reminds me of the quick-draw gunslinger, Colt Brennan, By their wierd throwing motion, Facial Features, and super quick release.
    I just checked some highlights from his first game in the preseasons! He's really good, all the passes were, as said just perfect! That final TD pass also reminded me of Kid, To throw such a quick pass while running and being under pressure from a defender a few meters away... man!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Marq's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBomber View Post
    (Some of these info are courtesy of Wikipedia)
    Sena Kobayakawa: Marshall Faulk, Ayrton Senna
    Youichi Hiruma: Joe "Comeback Kid" Montana, Damon Hill
    Monta: Jerry Rice
    Tetsuo Ishimaru: Forrest Gump (His plainness and "it's alright" personality are somehow similar )
    Homer Fitzgerald: Brett Favre
    Atsushi Munakata: Random American Comic Hero (? Superman, Captain Marvel?)
    Suguru Aoyanagi: Weird Al Yankovic (Apperance only)
    Shun Kakei: Deacon Jones
    Reiji "Marco" Maruko: Michael Corleone (Yeah, I know, can't help it )
    Daigo Ikari: Ray Nitschke
    Either wikipedia is crazy but..

Youichi Himura.. Joe Montana.. in terms of comebacks wise.. yeah..

Personality wise? XXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDD.. I won't even go there.. they aren't even close..

Sena.. Marshall Faulk?.. Nah.. More like Barry Sanders to me.. Barry makes you miss, Marshall was the type who can still run over others if he came into contact..

Eroge Danchou MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Xophien's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I forgot to mention it, but while the name of Deimon high is based on Damon Hill, Inagaki stated in his blog that Hiruma sounding so similar to Damon Hill (Hiru = Hill, Ma is written with the kanji for "Demon") is just a freaky coincidence

Art by 双瀬 聖

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

well i think morgan is based on jerry rice in some aspect (ace player for the 46ers while rice played for the 49ers) though they dont really seem alike.
    riku reminds me of david campese (his techniques- david campese invented the goose step which the rodeo drive is based on,aspect regarding technique and talent and personality).
    marco has a "godfather"-esque feel to him and im pretty sure gaou is based on sebastien chabal (rugby player known for his large build, long hair and ferocity on the field- nicknamed "the caveman").
    agon reminds me a little of tana umaga (large build, dreadlocks, not bothering to use feints and taking over opponents by using the arms and extremely talented as a player).
    shun kakei reminds me of a japanese linebacker that got to america and managed to play in the NFL after lots of hard training (damn i forgot his name >_<).
    ootawara is a play on the "dumb jock" theme (in this case the extremely stupid lineman stereotype...).
    Tatanka could be based on 1ST generation NFL native-american hall of famer (and first president of the NFL and member of the walter camp 1ST all-american squad+successful olympic athlete) Jim Thorpe (one person said thorpe was so strong that when he was tackled he felt like being split in two due to thorpes build and his dome-like style of tackling), thorpe also used to play RB.
    i think the american team (in the manga) should have been designed like the 1ST all-american team assembled by walter camp (they still have a chance to be like that...XD).
    Last edited by ickis; January 08, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes and additional info

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

But NOT the jerk part. I think Monta is closer to Jerry Rice in personification.
    Meanwhile, about naming that I fund in TVTropes.org:

Sena Kobayakawa's last name means "small, swift river", while his first name can be read as "what shoals?" His name can also direct reference to Ayrton Senna.

Mamori Anezaki's first name means "protector" (and she's certainly protective of Sena early in the series), while her last name means "promotory sister".

Yoichi Hiruma's name means "daytime night market". Also, his last name is spelled with kanji meaning "leech demon" (since he clamps tightly onto any talented player he can get for his team), and his first name is spelled with kanji meaning "bewitching one" (because he's fairly persuasive). This also means that his last name can be read as "demon in broad daylight".

Ryokan Kurita's first name means "powerful" and is spelled with the kanji for "good" and "broad-minded" (sure enough, he's a certified Gentle Giant), and his last name means "field of chestnuts" (referring to the shape of his head).

Daikichi Komusubi's first name means "great amount of good fortune", and "komusubi" is a rank in sumo wrestling.

Manabu Yukimitsu's first name means "study" (since that's what his mother made him do since grade school).

Tetsuo Ishimaru's last name means "stone circle" or "great stone", possibly a reference to his stoic yet easygoing personality.

Natsuhiko Taki, the Devil Bats' blonde, dimwitted, and boastful tight end, has a first name meaning "prince of summer".

Joe Tetsuma, the powerhouse wide receiver for the Seibu Wild Gunmen who plows through the defense like a train, has a last name that means "iron horse".

Shien Mushanokoji, the quarterback for the Seibu Wild Gunmen, has a last name that means "warrior's trail", but is spelled with the kanji for "child" (hence his frequently used nickname, "The Kid").

Ohira and Onishi Hiroshi, the linemen for the Kyoshin Poseidons, have names that mean "Pacific Ocean" and "Atlantic Ocean", respectively. The Poseidons also have Kengo Mizumachi, whose name means "strong waiting time in the water" (since he used to be on Kyoshin's swim team, getting out for the lack of challenge and disenthusiasm of his peers, and only entering football team since he impressed with Kakei's enthusiasm and determination).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys familiar with Manga/Anime called MAR(Marchen awakens romance)I just realize that Jack:

Shares some resemblance to Monta(according to his bio,Jack is also being mistaken as a monkey and is being laughed/being the butt of the joke because of that like Monta)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shin's defensive play style is based mostly on Lawrence Taylor. Read up on his play style. He too had a sort of trident tackle. QBs often said it was like he was crushing their ribs.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so too(looking at his bio and such),that's an interesting concept Linfone.

Also,I think the whole "Eyeshield 21" guise is inspired by LaDainian Tomlinson. His position is running back,his jersey number is "21" and to top it off...he wears an eyeshield!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

if you watch the movie "the new guy" you'll notice that the football team in the movie has the same colours as deimon. You'll also notice the position that scores the most is a runningback with an eyeshield, just the numbers are different.

also in chapter 23, when the class is speculating on E21's face. A face that resembles yamato is shown which i thought was funny. :P

http://www.onemanga.com/Eyeshield_21/23/01/

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Roarchu's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiruma is kinda like this guy http://animefringe.com/magazine/2005/10/review/05.jpg

Jan from the manga Iron Wok Jan. They're both all about winning, but Jan has less control over himself. He can't stay cool like Hiruma and he's bad. He's kinda like Agon + Hiruma

and Mamori seems like such a sexist character to me. She has all the traits and stereotypes for how women should be. Gender roles and stuff. That's the thing I dislike the most about this manga. I'm a guy by the way.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member JC123's Avatar
    City of Eternal Darkness, and it ain't Alaska!
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen her with Cream puffs?

She ain't no woman when it comes to those... O_o

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sena based on LT is may or may not be, since Eyeshield started at 2002, while LT NFL career is begin at 2001, and begin show some outstanding result at 2003.

About "Woman Stereotype".... see Karin. Mamori is more like a big sis who let her "weak little brother" grow out into a man. And she also smart enough to be involved in Hiruma's mind-screw game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast