Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Reading Yaoi a Sin?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Reading Yaoi a Sin?

I think that this is the point where religion is going too far and incompatible with modern epics and human rights.
    1. Homosexuality usually is not a choice, but an innate feature
    2. It doesn't cause harm per se
    Two reasons why considering homosexuality "a sin" (="bad", "unnatural", incompatible with a pure soul), is futile as well as misanthropic and intolerant.
    So, if homosexuality is neither unnatural nor harmful, why should the display of it be bad then?

Thus people not tolerating (if they like it or not isn't important, I myself personal am no fan of such) Yaoi are incomprehensible and rude in my opinion.
    Rather I think that Yaoi might potentially help some people accepting homosexuality (well, probably not, but it's a slight hope) as normal, while there is no "danger" that it could convert someone... (as sexual orientation is usually genetic, and even if it could go so far to some unstable individuals, that wouldn't be "harmful" for the above stated reasons)

I don't know exactly which religions and subgroups of religions would consider Yaoi a sin.
    I guess catholic and orthodox christianity in general, some christian subgroups specifically extreme and the vast majority of interpretations of Judaism and Islam.
    About protestant christianity I'm uncertain - probably it's a very devided opinion there - as well as about Buddism and Shintoism, but just by guess I think that latter two are fine with it.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 05, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think religion and manga should be mixed, it is like mixing art and religion, it is like saying that all of those pictures of naked women that the Impressionists draw are considered a sin, and like the statues who are naked that were made in the 15th century are also a sin. Religion and art should not be mixed, but of course if the topic is(which is not the case here) about homosexuality then there is also no room to mix them. Because Yaoi is drawn even if does have homosexual things in it, what it is in reality should not be mixed with what is drawn.

I would not get much into it, but getting religion into everything is just silly, sure there are many religious people out there that might think it is I don't know some may just not be bothered, but I hardly believe that it is a written thing that art is a sin.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

NO, but fapping to yaoi is(just kidding).....I guess it all depends on your moral code, but even as a spiritual and theistic person such as myself, I don't have any problem with Yaoi or Yuri.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    NO, but fapping to yaoi is(just kidding).....I guess it all depends on your moral code, but even as a spiritual and theistic person such as myself, I don't have any problem with Yaoi or Yuri.
    It would make sense to add the religion to the just theistic part, after all many religions have different points about homosexuality and display of love or sexuality.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffaprince View Post
    Come on!Yaoi is only to describe a different type of shojo (or girl's) manga that focuses on romantic relationships between two men,don't worry about it,it's normal

Yaoi is far from shojo... And it's BL that focuses on romantic relationships. Yaoi is a lot more explicit and mindless than BL is.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I don't think religion and manga should be mixed, it is like mixing art and religion
    Art and religion are mixed all the time. In fact, some of the most beautiful art ever created was inspired by religious beliefs. Does that make them right? No. But clearly someone's religious beliefs will effect what manga they are willing to read, if not then I can't imagine that really believe the things they do.

But on the topic question, no I don't think reading yaoi is a sin. But also know that I don't consider "sin" to exist at all so take that into account when considering my opinion.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I never really thought about this before, and I personally (nothing to do with my religion) dislike Yaoi/Yuri.

As a protestant Christian, I can say that homosexuality is, according to the Christian doctrine, disallowed. We wouldn't shun a homosexual, but that's for another discussion. Anyway, by reading yaoi and enjoying it, essentially the reader is condoning it and hence homosexuality. It's like having homosexual thoughts (if you actually enjoy it). I would think that this is where the "sin" comes in. I wouldn't put it on the same level of sin as say murder, but I suppose on the level of lust and coveting. But a sin is still a sin, I suppose

For that matter, pre-maritial sex is not allowed according to the Christian doctrine. If it is depicted in a manga and is read, is that sin too? I don't think so. Unless the person reading it actually gets off on reading it and approves of it.

I would love to hear a theologian-to-be like Arrogance's thoughts on this issue

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    Art and religion are mixed all the time. In fact, some of the most beautiful art ever created was inspired by religious beliefs. Does that make them right? No. But clearly someone's religious beliefs will effect what manga they are willing to read, if not then I can't imagine that really believe the things they do.

But on the topic question, no I don't think reading yaoi is a sin. But also know that I don't consider "sin" to exist at all so take that into account when considering my opinion.
    I know it is mixed but I don't like it to be that way, I did not say they are not mixed, I said that they should not be the case. It comes down to that manga is art and well many religious things can also appear. but then again that is reflecting reality I suppose.

But when it comes down to is it or not, it depends on the persons opinion and if religion is in question it depends if that persona actually is religious or not.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    Usually that kind of mixing art and religion was the other way. It was artistic interpretation of religious contents, which often could be considered art, too. After all, what's the difference between old and new testamony and literature? It is literature, so it can be seen as art and inspired many artists.

Well, however, for Yaoi and religion it's different. Some religions would certainly consider reading (and especially creating) Yaoi manga as a sin. The relationship is different here, religion is rating arts and lifestyles in this case.

And I do not think that it is possible to seperate religion from that by saying "Religion is fine, but it should keep out of peoples' preferences and not mix with art". Simply because it's typical for religion to tell people what to do, what to like and dislike. It's pretty much the core of the revealed religions.
    "God is everything and he is like this and that, always do X and sometimes do Y, but never do Z to be liked by him. And if you like β or γ you will end in hell.". It's the ultimate form of prying into everyone's affairs in every matter. It cannot be seperated from arts and preferences.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is a sin...there was a good post before, that said that it causes no harm to other people...it's a personal choice and taste...as a guy I'm probably more close to liking yuri than yaoi, but I don't see why would it be a sin...

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    I don't think it is a sin...there was a good post before, that said that it causes no harm to other people...it's a personal choice and taste...as a guy I'm probably more close to liking yuri than yaoi, but I don't see why would it be a sin...
    I agree, there was a post that said if Yaoi is a sin so is Yuri, but I would rephrase that, both appeal to different audiences but who reads them is all up to a free choice. I believe if yaoi and yuri are being discussed form a religious point of view, then Hentai should also be discussed and even ecchi and ecchi is something we see all the time in manga from different genre.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Well, you are rating this with common sense. But that's the problem here: The definition of "sin" is unrelated to common sense. If a religious script or a religious community says "To us/our religion homosexuality is a sin", then it's not possible to argue and say "no it's not".

What you probably mean is that you don't think that Yaoi/Yuri/Homosexuality was morally corrupt, and thus shouldn't be considered a sin.
    For that part, I fully agree.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shion Elpihas Levi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

not at all. Think of it as an artistic expression *mellow face*

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dlanor_A.Knox's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is a sin, a more important question is why should it be a sin?
    God created us as how we are right?
    They have slaughtered millions of Teemos... Pentakill is coming!!!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no religious attachments, so i really can't associate it with sin.
    I understand that there are people that don't like it as I don't like yuri, but i wouldn't try to forbid yuri.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast