Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you think of the following ?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Mantra is Haki

68 42.24%
  • Only Rokugan is Haki

2 1.24%
  • They are both Haki

48 29.81%
  • They are both NOT haki

43 26.71%
New Reply
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Use(s) of Haki

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Use(s) of haki

I think Haki is something you acquire though battle experience. Kinda like threat. Its like making angry eyes but the effects cna be controlled. I DONT think not want Haki to be some kind of power, its just a trinket used by strong guys to show dominance, will power etc.

But i still want the SH to be able to do this eventually.
    Trafalgar Law is the new Shichibukai. He cut down the samurai from Wano. 2-15-12

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member noonethere's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Haki is what make the Vivre card work.(This would explain why the SH started developing Haki as they approach the New world. It may also be possible that DF abilities is related to Haki.
    It is also possible that different persons expresses their Haki differently depending on different factors such as personality and emotions. Possible different ways the SH may have accidentally used Haki would be Zorro producing illusions with his spirit(during asura) and fire(to purify Ryuma), Sanji exploding with anger(when he knew Nami was kidnapped) and Ussop causing Perona to faint (maybe Haki cause the bluff to be more effective). If I was to extrapolate from this hypothesis, I'd say someone with a cold nature(like Robin) would cause others to feel cold or someone caring(like Chopper) would enhance the regeneation ability of others.(Of course all this is pure speculation)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noonethere View Post
    Maybe Haki is what make the Vivre card work.(This would explain why the SH started developing Haki as they approach the New world. It may also be possible that DF abilities is related to Haki.
    It is also possible that different persons expresses their Haki differently depending on different factors such as personality and emotions. Possible different ways the SH may have accidentally used Haki would be Zorro producing illusions with his spirit(during asura) and fire(to purify Ryuma), Sanji exploding with anger(when he knew Nami was kidnapped) and Ussop causing Perona to faint (maybe Haki cause the bluff to be more effective). If I was to extrapolate from this hypothesis, I'd say someone with a cold nature(like Robin) would cause others to feel cold or someone caring(like Chopper) would enhance the regeneation ability of others.(Of course all this is pure speculation)
    lol haki is when Luffy levelled up, because he's stronger he lets off this aura, and the aura changes when his mood changes. So basically its what sharingan said just the post above you "its just a trinket used by strong guys to show dominance, will power etc." Killing Intent!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

the all around "haki" Thread

We have over 500+ chapter of OP and "haki" was only used 3 times, where we can tell for sure.

I think ppl r over treating haki. I believe it is just an outburst of spiritual energy, whereupon u can determine someone's strength. Experienced and strong fighter r able to control their outburst, from low to max. Inexperienced and weak guys, will prop fain under pressure, since they cant handle too much of that energy. Therefore haki can't be used on opponent of ur lvl, experienced and strong fighter or on stronger ones, just on cannon fodder.

I base this on other popular shounen series, like Bleachs "reaitsu", DBs "ki" or HxHs "hen". Narutos "chakra" is different tho.
    All these series have one thing in common: that "chi" thing can't be used as weapon on strong opponents of ur lvl or above. Any character of these series, who r strong and experienced r able to produce an outburst. It is also the source of their energy, means if they are exhausted from w.e reason, they cant produce a strong "chi".

I know, it doesn't have to be same in op, but since Oda said in his interview he is a fan of Akiras Dragonball, I do believe it has the same function as I explained. They also did a chapter together, Cross Epoch.

In Naruto "chakra" was only shown as inner energy, to cast jutsu. It was never said u can let weak ppl faint with high chakra. Some ppl r able to detect chakra, but that's not the same as I explained earlier.
    In the real world i.e our world xD, it is ur energy which keeps u moving. If the inner energy is consumed, u can't move anymore or at least at top speed and u have to take break to rest and recharge ur energy.

Actually, imo it is just for show. It doesn't have any big impact in a fight, since it cant be used on strong opponents. U r only able to use that on cannon fodder, i.e imo just for show.

sry, my mistake. Had no idea that there was already a thread around.

regards
    Last edited by BlackHair; August 23, 2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: edited post fitting the discussion

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Trafalgar Law's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been clinging to a theory that 'Haki', is just one way to use your 'spirit':
    To overwhelm cannonfodder. But then there might be other uses for the 'spirit',
    like an aura or focusing power into a specific part of your body.

Much like with rokushiki, haki might just be a sub-technique like geppou or shigan...

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

literally, haki just means killing aura

a translation would be killing intent.

if a guy walks into a room, with his mind already set to kill another guy, i.e. for revenge for killing his parents, and he's not afraid of death

then you notice his frown, his steady eyes and his fearless expression

you go 'wow, he has strong haki' (killing intent)

it's nothing spiritual or some power you turn on or off, it's basically confidence, fearlessness, and steady intent to cause harm that overpowers your opponent psychologically

maybe oda will play this phrase to a pun, but basically, so far, that's all we've seen. there's nothing mystical about it.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you can frown people to uncounciousness, lol, the way haki has been portrayed makes it look like there is a lot more to it. Personaly I think zoro uses his haki when he uses asura, and if he indeed does, then I don think he pulls it of by frowning his oponents lol.

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

took a while to search, but here it is:
    shredlords translation of haki

thus I wouldn't equate aura and killing intent. while the first is something that is mostly defined as something other people can feel or even see (e.g. zoro if we want to add him to this category, but on a wider view in other mangas like DBZ and so on) the latter is something inside you that others only see if you show it in your facial expression or gesture - these were never shown here.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

oh 覇気

got the wrong ha there

覇 means tyrant/tyrannic, so yea, it's a tyrannic aura of sorts, striving to overpower

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I dont think you can frown people to uncounciousness, lol, the way haki has been portrayed makes it look like there is a lot more to it. Personaly I think zoro uses his haki when he uses asura, and if he indeed does, then I don think he pulls it of by frowning his oponents lol.
    like i said, it hasn't been explained to the letter yet, and as far as we've seen oda go, he does tend to exaggerate on meanings.

this haki they had could be a tyrannic aura the guy is emitting, strutting and looking fearless and confident, giving a psychological superiority to the people who see him, making them quiver and quake in their boots, and shake at the very sight of him, to the level where they fear him so much they faint from the stress.

what oda's drawn could also be a mystical energy, aka a delibrate pun and twisting exaggeration on the phrase's otherwise literal 'psychological edge' meaning, turning it into a skill to consciously turn on/off like pikachu's thunderbolt, but as of now it hasn't left the 'possible exaggeration in expression of original meaning' scale yet..

so that's what i mean, until he crosses the line to make the literal application technically impossible, it's still a possibility imo

that's just my opinion, cuz things actually mean different things when you are not reading it as a foreign language, some things are more natural and subtle if you get what i mean

i.e. in english, you go 'captain jack sparrow stared back at the angry mob with a straight face, a face without fear, and he eventually overcame them with his amazing fearlessness'
    if you were to translate it to another language, i.e. chinese, you go '杰克船长一动都不动,就以那无表情的脸瞪着他们,终于靠他的Amazing fearlessness把他们给吓跑了'

it works both ways, when you single out a phrase like that, if i were a chinese guy lacking english practice i'd assume it was a name of a move called 'Amazing Fearlessness', instead of just a description in the original context

well it's just imo, it could be oda's exaggeration on expressing of the literal meaning, or it could be a new move like you guys said. either way i can't wait
    Last edited by hyper_megaman; August 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i went to babel fish for a "rough translation and i got:
    覇気 means Ambition,
    Similar to what ShredLord said.

i wen and sprit the chracters and i got:
    覇 means Supremacy
    気 means Air

Completely different from the meaning above.

We can only take a stab as to what direction Oda is willing to take this Haki of his. WHatever it is I know Oda will not disappoint.
    Trafalgar Law is the new Shichibukai. He cut down the samurai from Wano. 2-15-12

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy if the answer to logia's is haki, it would mean a major boost for strawhats plus no more running from all those overpowered marines. It would also mean that luffy could get a logia user into his crew, and still be stronger than said logia without using any particular weakness.
    I wouldnt like to see this manga turn into DBZ though, the moment luffy uses a spirit bomb, I will probably quit reading the manga lol.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still believe what I said in my earlier post, that haki can cut things that can't be cut like WB and shanks cutting the sky. Note that Rayleigh was able to cut Kizaru, the latter is bleeding from his cheek.
    Last edited by RichardMNixon; September 05, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    I still believe what I said in my earlier post, that haki can cut things that can be cut like WB and shanks cutting the sky. Note that Rayleigh was able to cut Kizaru, the latter is bleeding from his cheek.
    The clouds were split in half due to clash of the swords. Oda was trying to show the level of the top dogs of the world. I dont think it is related to haki. Also there can be many reasons why Kiz was bleeding, such as seastone sword. btw Kiz light sword isn't part of his body, so it doesn't have to vanish if its touches seastone.

Like alwasys, no clear fact.. just my opinion on this.

And now thinking on BB: What makes is fruit unique? the ability to nullify other DF user and even though he is a logia himself, he has a all time physical body. Now why should some1 like BB who seems to be strong and experienced should go after a fruit like that, if he prop can already control haki? I guess haki wont nullify the logia, thats why xD

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

who ever said that haki "nullifies" logia (or DF in general)?
    as far as I know about this haki makes you able to "touch" and thus "stop" logias, who usally by definition are untouchable.
    bout BB I don't think he cares much about spirit and controlling it since he was the one believing in fate and stuff, but that might just be a feeling from my point of view...

Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akainu View Post
    who ever said that haki "nullifies" logia (or DF in general)?
    as far as I know about this haki makes you able to "touch" and thus "stop" logias, who usally by definition are untouchable.
    Actually, that was what I meant by "nullify" the logia ability. Many supported the idea that with haki u can hit the physical body of a logia user. Since this is an important ability of mostly every logia user, I described it as nullify, when u r not able to use that.. didn't meant DF in general.

Of course, Im assuming BB is able to use haki, since I believe he is on yonkou/admiral lvl we can except that much. I have no reference for that, it is just a theory of mine.

New Reply
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast