Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Psyren

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psyren

I think he did that on a purpose, don't forget you are watching a video. Prolly amaturistic video made by the uncle. I think he wanted and succeeded in giving a feeling things were messed up for humans and weren't clear for ageha and co and even for us readers

Can you show a page randal

because I kinda agree with fxu. Toshiaki's art and skill, scenes etc are always clear to me. I don't know but only looking at the double page of melchee's door. There's not so much mangaka imo who can draw it that way I felt like there was motion in it
    Last edited by Koen; September 02, 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sexy Randal 105's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong. Maybe it was just me with the one instance. =P
    Click here to read my story, "Shadow Hawk."

Currently reading: Claymore, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezlebub, Akaboshi.

Listen to my podcast here.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Randal 105 View Post
    I may be wrong. Maybe it was just me with the one instance. =P
    No don't misunderstand us

You can be right, I had that feeling too but I think it was more as a purpose to give you a feeling you're watching a movie that wasn't taken in ideal circumstances -> if he meant it that way - which I think it was - he succeeded in it

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sexy Randal 105's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ehh...if I find another instance in later chapters, I'll post it. I don't feel like going through ever page to find one.
    Click here to read my story, "Shadow Hawk."

Currently reading: Claymore, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezlebub, Akaboshi.

Listen to my podcast here.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Maphisto40's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If Psyren gets cancelled, I will truly be upset. I love this new series, for the plot and nifty psychic powers. I love that I don't really know what the hell is going on, because I hate it when I can predict storylines. I agree though, that the art style reminded me forcibly of Kubo when I first read it, but since I love Bleach, it didn't bother me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to keep reading Psyren for a long time to come.
    Last edited by Maphisto40; October 28, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Manga-addicted freak of nature...ケンイチ
    FMA, oh how I adore thee...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Action Bastard's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo what a lot of people said I think you scored it too highly. It's nothing exceptional in both art and story. It has your typical shounen archetypes and it's filled with shounen cliche. I'm expecting good things from it, but all in all it's average.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even give this one a 6/10. Not a very big Psyren fan as it lacks originality in almost every aspects:

power/abilities are similar to HxH,
    drawings, and even the cover designs are Bleach want-to-be,
    concept is Gantz,
    characters are Bleach again (when the girl was explaining about the PSI, she made "drawings" similar to Rukia's "drawing" ... how much can one copy?!?)

I read it b/c I read nearly all weekly manga, so one more wouldn't really matter.

Manga = Art + Characters + Stories/Themes + Other things (fights, love relationships, the world, etc). And 3 (art, characters, concept + abilities) out of those 4 things were copied from other successful series. What it means is that the author does not dare to take a leap of faith. It's like pop songs, he is doing what "works" and "worked", and play it safe. In art, someone who doesn't play with fire does not deserve to be successful IMO.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

see, i have to disagree now. gantz and psyren aren't as similar as it was first playing out to be. sure both feature being sent into battle, but that's really as far as it goes.

heck with psyren's objective being 'make it to the exit' it's more like a crazy version of the matrix but with a destroyed world instead of a fake one... or would that be a real world instead of a fake one... ya know it's not important

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree, with the "rules" of the game, they nearly match. Both can't tell others about it, there are secrets behind the "travels", point system (one counts up, the other down), and so on.

Not only that, but the theme to survive in hopeless situation, in total isolation where no one can help you. Then the "importance of team mates" part comes in. The only real difference is one is trying to save the present, while the other is saving the future (in a way). One uses technology as weapons and transportation, the other uses PSI. And unlike Psyren, we have yet to know the truth behind Gantz, but I am pretty sure it's similar, since Gantz, like the Nemisis (spelling?) Q, seems to know the future of the world (*spoiler: Gantz's timer as shown in the recent chapters is counting down towards a future event*) and both are trying to save it by sending people there.

Really, the concept is nearly identical, the only difference so far is that we have yet to know Gantz's objective, which I am sure is similar to N.Q.'s (saving the world, but in a twisted way of sending only a few just so they die). One is against high tech ALIENS in weird shapes, while the other is against strong PSI HUMANS and alien looking creatures. If you take those away, they are really the same.

Well since this isn't a Psyren discussion (it's hard to post their similarity without spoiling both Gantz and Psyren @@), I will end it here. Have a good weekend XD (time to sleep, too many midterms, barely getting any sleep, sorry about the grammar, will fix it afterward)

And ain't you from that livejounral website? I visit it all the time To check out new Jump manga and the ranking (But I rarely post as I don't have an account)
    Last edited by BoXs; February 06, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

i implore you to post on there with an account, i need more people capable of taking me down a peg.

touche good sire, touche. i suppose i only bothered to look at the outside of it without looking at structure.... good god i'm a disgrace to my jump scholar status!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The art and characters are definitely Bleach-like. Kind of really distracting. And the their female trainer with dark skin is undeniably a rip-off of Yoruichi. Its an alright manga, with a faster pace and more originality it could improve but it wont reach top status.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So many mixed reviews XD Really though, in all honesty, I'm wondering, is reading Psyren enjoyable for you guys? 'Cause for me, that's the major driving force behind reading ANY series, shounen, shoujo, gag, and whatnot. Sure, you can break the manga down into separate categories in order to give other people a better idea of why you like/dislike it, but in the end, most people keep reading a series they like, right? If you don't like it, you usually stop (or at least lose interest).

Well, personally I'm beyond biased, which is why you won't see any reviews about this from me >_> If I put one up... yeah, no. I really enjoy reading Psyren and hope it continues for a long time. Let's leave it at that XD

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently read (started and finished) Psyren. Wow, it was really good!

Of course, I had the benefit of reading it all the way through, since it's a completed series. But still, I don't quite understand the hate in some of the older comments here. I found Psyren to be better than the other series that people above were comparing it to.

I'd rate it an 8 or 9 / 10, easy.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2