Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Reimei no Arcana

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reimei no Arcana

Title: Reimei no Arcana (a.k.a. Dawn of the Arcana)
    Genres: Shoujo, Drama, Fantasy, Romance
    Author: Toma Rei
    Artist: Toma Rei
    Publication: Shogakukan (serialized in Cheese!)
    Start Date: 2009
    End Date: Ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 9
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 9

General Overview:
    Two nations, Belquat and Senan, are at each other's throat. A peace contract is drawn. To broker the deal, a marriage between the houses of royalty were made. A Belquat prince is to wed a Senan princess. The unusual feature, she's a ginger. Royalty are exclusively black haired! Anything else is of the lower class. Seems like the peace treaty is off to a rocky start.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

Toma Rei is an excellent artist and it seems that I say this a lot about each manga that I've read. The style is good. The characters were well drawn. Even the apparel were extravagent in design. The characters in Reimei no Arcana are really beautiful.

One thing that did bother me was at times, a scene seems kind of light. It felt as if there weren't any weight to a scene. The page of the manga didn't come out. A good phrase that could be used to describe it would be that the artist didn't flesh out the art well enough. This made some scenes in the manga dull and lifeless.

Plot: 10

The obvious need not be said. Things are rocky and getting more complicated. Just when the two are starting to discover heart felt feelings for each other, things might just become more complicated. Awkward situations lead to misunderstandings which leads to tension among the characters. It's hilarious.

Characters: 8

There is a sense of tension between the cast members. Each one desires different things and there is conflict. Each one seems to be moving blindly in their own way thinking what they are doing might have a positive impact.

The entertainment from the interactions between the three main characters stem from each of their own intentions.

Theme:

Too early to say. There seems to be a lot of things going on thus making it hard to see what's the theme. It's becoming clear that the value of human life, especially a love one, is very dear. Even the life of an enemy is dear. There's a saying that goes that hell is so bad that even one doesn't wish for their own enemies to end up in it. Nakaba seems to have personified that saying. She truly values human life even if it might be her enemies.

Originality: 7

Reimei no Arcana so far has been entertaining. It has certainly built up a good amount of background information to support the main story. This fantasy world has it's own uniqueness.

The most interesting part about Reimei no Arcana is the distinct royalty. A person of royalty must have black hair. Anyone else would be considered inferior. Yet, the northern kingdom sent down a red-headed princess to the southern kingdom. One could already sense the low esteem of Nakaba. To be rid of the akage, must be a sigh of relief of the Northern Kingdom.

Racism is alive and well within this world. What would the world be without a little discrimination? Even though their might still be discrimination against different hair color, the discrimination against being beautiful and being ugly is held up in this manga.

Overall: 10

I'm loving the story. It's been an interesting read so far. I wished that the relationship between the protagonist and her supposed husband would've been prolonged. The relationship between the two are moving quickly although there are still road bumps.

As far as this shoujo manga goes, I'm sure those that like humor, drama and romance would appreciate this manga.

Spoiler: Scenes from Chapter One show
    Last edited by segua; March 18, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

(Please read from right to left.)

New Reply