Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: The 3rd Morning International Manga Competition

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Yabe's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

The 3rd Morning International Manga Competition

Taken from: http://e-morning.jp/mimc/index.html

INTERNATIONAL MANGA COMPETITION
    presented by Weekly Morning, Kodansha, Japan

Competition entries being accepted now!

"Morning", which celebrated its 25th anniversary last year and publishes over 500,000 copies weekly, is the biggest and most prominent manga magazine for grown-ups in Japan. Since its very first issue, the magazine has been host to such mega hits as "Vagabond", "Kami-no-shizuku", "The Silent Service", "Say hello to BLACK JACK", and "GON", and has had continual and significant influence on Japanese society. Now, we are expanding our horizons and holding a competition across the globe, including the U.S., Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand and China, in order to seek out and develop new talent.

Deadline - last acceptable postmark / backstamp on or before: September 30, 2008
    Grand prize: US $5000, two second prizes of US $2000 each

As part of the grand prize, the winning manga will be featured in "Morning", the most influential manga magazine for grown-ups in Japan, boasting a circulation of over 500,000 copies a week, or special issue "Morning 2". In addition, the most experienced manga editors of "Morning" will be assigned to authors of the winning manga pieces, and assist in the development of their manga. There is also the possibility that the winning manga and more pieces of the winning author will be not only featured in "Morning" or "Morning 2", but could also well be published as independent comic books both in Japan and in other countries. (There is a possibility that no entry will be awarded the Grand Prize). Editors will also be assigned to the two second prize winners, and there is a possibility that these winning manga pieces will be published in "Morning", "Morning 2" or on "e-morning", our companion website. Please refer carefully to the following terms. It will be deemed that you have agreed to all of them upon entry.

[1] Manga content Restricted to works of at least 12 pages and of not more than 50 pages, that have not been published in commercial magazines, nor as independent books, in any country.

[2] Rules of illustration Manga pieces on any type of paper, using any kind of drawing tools, will be accepted. Both color and black-and-white will be accepted (however, pieces accepted in color may be published in black and white in the "Morning" magazine). For reference, manga in Japan is normally drawn on B4 paper, in black ink, in a 270mm x 180 mm frame. It is possible to submit entries on CD-R or other digital storage media, but we request that printed copies to be included with such data-based entries. Text should be in your native language, English or Japanese, and should be written clearly.

[3] Selection committee: Morning International Manga Competition Committee

[4] Method of Application
    Send to: Kodansha Morning M. I. M. C.
    2-12-21
    Otowa
    Bunkyo-ku
    Tokyo
    112-8001
    JAPAN

Please ensure that you include your name, address, age, occupation, telephone number, e-mail address and CV with your entry.
    Entries cannot be returned.
    We recommend that you keep a copy of your entry.

[5] Kodansha Ltd. will automatically obtain the exclusive right to publish all prize-winning manga pieces (whether for grand prize or secondary prizes) on magazines, and the exclusive option to exercise the right to publish and/or exploit the said manga pieces on independent books and on magazine websites and the exclusive option to all other secondary / subsidiary rights with respect to the said manga pieces. Kodansha Ltd. will determine whether or not exercise any of its foregoing right and/or options under its sole and absolute discretion.

[6] You must warrant that your entry (manga piece) is completely original under your own creation, all content therein are accurate and lawful, and do not contain material that is harmful, libelous or defamatory to, or material that may infringe the right of any person or entity in any nature. You will be obliged to indemnify any damage Kodansha Ltd. may suffer as a result of any inconsistency to the foregoing.

[7] Release of results: Results will be announced on the "Morning" website (e-morning) around January 2009
    --

Observe and read the past winning works:
    The 1st M.I.M.C. Result || The 2nd M.I.M.C. Result

If anyone is confident of your skill or is finding a way to get your secret work promoted or want some challenge then I think this is one of the great chances you should never let it pass...

See ya round there.
    Last edited by Yabe; August 01, 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 3rd Morning International Manga Competition

Sounds interesting but since it's seinen, I'll let it pass. I'm aiming for shonen manga.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, Morning is a Seinen magazine, but it doesn't indicate anywhere that only Seinen category of submissions are accepted.

I also got to read "Kage No Matsuri" the 1st winner of the 1st round and I thought it even looked a bit Shounen. Are you (or is anyone) familiar with this competition to know whether it actually allows Seinen works solely?

EDIT:
    "Fairy Tale" (the 1st winning work of 2nd round) also hangs around Shounen's space (and it really is a great story you should have a look :P)
    Last edited by Yabe; August 01, 2008 at 09:39 AM.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, sorry for not clarifying. Yes, seinen magazines accept shonen. Since I want to go pro in the future and want to make my work into long series- I'm going to apply for a magazine which seems to fit my manga genre/drawing style. Basically, a magazine that I regularly read. That's all.

Waterdroplet's threads in MH for original manga:

I have several sections devoted to my manga in MH (bilingual/English/Japanese only):
    TLOF Chapter 1 (~1.5 years after I first started)
    TLOF Chapter 2 (~2 years after I first started)
    Project A (Recent ones in Japanese)
    Random Manga (really)
    Waterdrolet's Gallery
    Last edited by Waterdroplet; August 02, 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdroplet View Post
    Oh, sorry for not clarifying. Yes, seinen magazines accept shonen. Since I want to go pro in the future and want to make my work into long series- I'm going to apply for a magazine which seems to fit my manga genre/drawing style. Basically, a magazine that I regularly read. That's all.
    Well I'm actually kind of excited at the prospect of entering this. Yeah it's not necessarily what I want but take whatever opportunity is handed to you I'd say. I'd worry that you were just making an excuse for yourself not to enter the competition. If anything, even if you lose, you have a one shot manga you can show off in your portfolio. GO FOR IT WATER!
    Check out Vita Di Vetro @ http://www.drdoobious.com

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So I'm entering this competition! Wish me luck everybody!

Does it mention anywhere that you can only submit -one- entry? Chances are I'm only going to submit one, but a friend of mine was considering writing a story that I would illustrate, figure it wouldn't hurt my cause.

My story (the one I'm writing/illustrating) is going to be a fantasy-comedy deal, so at the best I'll probably only be able to get a second place prize as so far no comedies have won. (They're always so snubbed aren't they?)
    Check out Vita Di Vetro @ http://www.drdoobious.com

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

@doobious: I'm pretty sure you can enter as many works as you want (I suppose that this chance hasn't been mentioned in the rules because they all believe that to finish a single decent submission by the deadline would usually be a heavy work enough).

It looks like you've already seen the past winning works (and possibly read the criticism on them also?) Candidates are expected to be real tough, plus I kinda trust that an impressive comedic story is the most difficult genre to create. It's so fantastic that you're positive about your skills though - give it your best shot, and here, have lots and lots of luck!
    Last edited by Yabe; August 08, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear doobious

Good luck!! Er... I'm not sure about English based manga competition, but for normal manga competition, I know that double entries are just counted as one. So, it's better to just stick with submitting only one of your best work per contest. In addition, you are not usually allowed to submit same work to different magazines at the same time due to copyright law. If you do that then you may lose the chance of applying to the same publisher's contest- which is a bad way of doing it since Kodansha owns a lot of pro-manga magazines. It's fine if you don't get a prize in one magazine and apply with that same work to a different magazine or publish it on-line. However, even if the work doesn't get the prize, they may use it in the future if the editor likes it. You'll get notified for it, I'm sure. It's better to contact the publisher directly about the details since foreign language manga competition may differ from Japanese ones that I'm familiar with. Japanese publishers are known to be really meticulous with rules so watch out for that.

ex.) page #, page size, image size (for digital), image formats (for digital)
    Last edited by Waterdroplet; August 09, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

New Reply