Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to learn Japanese ?

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Alex Miyamoto's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best way to learn Japanese ?

To learn well indeed it should go in Japan and to be us ten years.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Syphilias's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/bumnumba1

He is an amazingly good teacher despite his mouth and drinking habits...

The best way to learn Japanese is to get a notebook and COMPLETELY fill it out with EVERY SINGLE HIRAGANA and KATAKANA before you even ATTEMPT to learn the language. You will need to learn your hiragana in order to read manga on MH.

Once you've mastered your kana, slowly do the same thing with kanji you see in manga. Eventually, after you have read a few volumes of manga, you'll be able to read it the same way you do in English. That is, without having to get the dictionary out for every word. Just read and ENJOY the manga!

I also recommend listening to Japanese music, watching Japanese TV/Anime, and going to Japanese chat rooms or even better, finding a Japanese speaker to talk to in real life. Work at a Japanese restaurant, GO TO JAPAN!

Total immersion.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Dr.Robotnick's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you can learn japanese studyng or wathing A LOT OIF ANIME abd cath some words of someone chapter.Becouse i learn few words of Japanese wathing things like Reborn! o bleach o naruto o some anime(doesen'd matter the anime xD)
    What about you?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member duchess of dork's Avatar
    inside your forebrain, curled up like a baby
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i think learning the sentence pattern comes in first.. anyone can translate the words later on, but the context is more important..the particles placement is the most indicative of the context
    Nana: shoujo or josei? read and prove..

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Marry a Japanese girl who can teach you Japanese?

Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually, when taking formal lessons, you will learn how to speak formally. But reading manga and watching anime will teach you how to speak colloquial terms or slang.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hyper_Wolfy's Avatar
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

watch japanesse Anime.
    Listen to cd i brought. books and talk some like me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been taking manga... and trying to translate them. Make sure it has furigana (those hiragana and katakana by the kanji). I mostly use anime to help me with my pronunciation. Currently my progress isn't really that good.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, smart.fm got some insanely awesome japanese courses for people who'd like to understand the basics of the japanese grammar, the endings, compositions and collaborations for both hiragana, katakana and the romanji version of Japanese.

If someone would like, I can give you some links to great courses.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always search on Youtube there is a lot of people posting Language videos and teaching.

Also like some people have already stated, you can learn from watching anime.

Although it won't help you with the writing. You will be able to understand some of the conversations.

I think listening to Japanese music will help as well.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie-San View Post
    Also like some people have already stated, you can learn from watching anime.
    You can learn from watching anime if the reason why you want to learn Japanese is to understand anime/manga.
    If that's not your only reason, I'd heavily recommend taking classes or at least getting a normal textbook like Genki or Minna no Nihongo and/or looking for some language exchange with real people, watching "normal" (non-animated) TV, listening to some radio and reading texts that aren't part of comics.
    If you try to learn everything by watching anime and reading some comics, there's the danger of making terrible mistakes by talking rude.
    Although in most of the manga I read people talk pretty normal most of the time, there still are some expressions that'd be absolute no-gos in a non-Otaku Japanese environment, I guess.

Moreover, I think, it's not good to start learning Japanese with manga. Though that's just my personal opinion. To me, that'd be like learning things like "Ey dude, what's up?" before "Good morning, how are you?"
    Last edited by Kasu; May 02, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Cape Verde
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a few programs specifically for learning Japanese and did not like them. However, I am a big fan of flash card software (Anki is good, as it SmartFM.com - both free)

Also, there are some good videos that teach the subject.
    http://learning-japanese-easy.webege...learn-japanese - Let's learn Japanese is great for beginners

http://learning-japanese-easy.webege...hongo-dekimasu - Nihongo Dekimasu is my favourite because it teaches Japanese in Japanese. But I think students need a bit of experience before starting.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people have given good advice on how to read/write Japanese so I'll give some tips on listening and speaking.

1) Listening: While hearing characters talk in animes might help somewhat, they often speak colloquially. The best way to improve listening skills is to watch the news. After all, newscasters have to speak clearly by default. Try watching a morning show that is broadcasted throughout Japan. I find that morning news programs focus more on fun topics like a current trend, new technology, food etc. During the course of the day, there is greater focus on politics and economical issues. Mornings are usually easy-going and a bit more casual.

Not anyone can watch Japanese news programs but personally that's the best way to improve on listening.

2) Speaking: It's very difficult to get rid of an accent, but it's important to make each syllable distinct and clear. Never elongate a vowel.

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If your situation allows, go teach English in Japan for a year or two. There's the Jet program and other private ones too. That's the fastest way.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Most advices were already told...may I suggest something though...a tip for kanji, kana in general...write them down on your own, try some calligraphy, not just read them and memorize them...writing them down helps a lot, I learned hiragana and katakana, in a weekend by writing...

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast