Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Beelzebub Hangout Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sorata's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beelzebub by Tamura Ryuhei

Do you guys thing this manga will eventualy turn into a battle manga just like Yu Yu Hakusho and K. Hitman Reborn did???
    Did you hear about the man who can´t be destroyed?? = Shin Jin-Ho - "The Immortal"

He is the Fastest highschooler and the Strongest Linebacker in the history of Japan!! = Shin Seijuurou - "The Perfect Player"

If you disrupt the discipline in Namimori he will Bite you to Death!! = Hibari Kyoya - Vongola X´s Strongest Guardian

The man who will be the strongest swordsman!! = Roronoa Zoro - The Pirate Hunter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DeidaraGrimmjow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Words cannot express how much I hope so...

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member squirrellord's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni View Post

Is BL your only option for shortening the name? I was told now a few times that I'm not the only one who's giggling in the completely wrong way every time that I read in this thread xD

Well, I've explained it before... Beru is the equivalent of Beel, but Beel sounds like "Beal" more than "Be-El". So BL, Be-El Be'el, or Beru. Since Beru doesn't shorten Beelzebub in English, and "Be-El" also feels wrong, I just go with BL.
    I'm open to any other suggestions
    -Sorry, I'm not available for group projects

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

bell was my favourite despite it being incorrect, but BL by itself is pretty good too if you initialise it (B.L.)....(T.)

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

'Acronyminazing' (is that word correct? ) names is a very 'English' thing that strikes me as weird, maybe that's why. When watching US movies the whole JD/DJ/whatever characters feel like they're not named properly. I'm not familiar with this kind of nicknaming from my own language and associate it entirely with the 'American way of life'. Therefor when I read BL here, I don't think I need to explain to you about which scene-typical acronym I start to think? ^^;

If you think it fits the character, by all means leave it. I can't judge it. Though, I prefer to simply leave the original (Beel; the alternative romanization 'Bell' sounds completely wrong in the context) in tact even if it's sounds weird pronounced by an English native. That's what translator notes are for. Changing the name merely because of a pronunciation issue feels wrong to me and reminds me on the character name changes done in manga like Conan: Shinichi to Jimmy and Ran to Rachel *shivers*
    Last edited by eni; April 25, 2009 at 02:42 PM.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean, but there's a couple of differences. Like a character named JD is called that because his name is something like "John Dorian" (I myself am called JP by my family, for my first and middle name). It's not like Beelzebub's name is Bee Lzebub, so I don't count it as an acronym, just the literally pronunciation of his name. Second, I'm not changing the name Shinichi to Jimmy, or anything like that at all. They're trying to say an English word, Beelzebub, the Japanese being Beruzebabu. They just took the first two syllables of the Japanese name.

After thinking about it, I might put it as Be'el from now on, to avoid any more flack. Be'el's third name change~ Huzzah (actually, same name, different pronunciations). Next up, someone's going to have a problem with Alaindelon lol

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Bell a little better too, even though it's technically incorrect I don't think I'd really complain if it was used.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if Beelzebub is turned into Beruzebabu, then why not just go with Beru? that "looks" better than Bell or Baby BL imo.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Well if Beelzebub is turned into Beruzebabu, then why not just go with Beru? that "looks" better than Bell or Baby BL imo.
    Becaaaause his name isn't Beruzebabu, it's Beelzebub. Otherwise the title of the series would have been Beruzebabu...
    Be the same as if in Soul Eater, they put Soul's name as Souru Iitaa, instead of Soul Eater. Buraku Sutaa instead of Black Star, Desu za Kiddo instead of Death The Kid.
    If you'd like, I could just start typing up Romanji, and skip trying to translate all together~

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrellord View Post
    Well, I've explained it before... Beru is the equivalent of Beel, but Beel sounds like "Beal" more than "Be-El". So BL, Be-El Be'el, or Beru. Since Beru doesn't shorten Beelzebub in English, and "Be-El" also feels wrong, I just go with BL.
    I'm open to any other suggestions
    I thought Beru would be the equivalent of Bell, not Beel.

And the titled is べるぜバブ, but it does have the romanization as a subtitle so I see your point in not wanting to use romanji, since no one really does that anyway unless it's a term that wouldn't work in English.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

*personally despises people who say things like beruzaberu or finaru fantashii instead of the obvious and provided romanisation*

BL is probably the best we can do unless it's made into something different but samey, like the first part Beez. but that's pushing it too far

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I don't think the engrish version will fit, I like it better as Baby BL. It may look good, but it doesn't sound good. Or whatever.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Reborn was horrible during the daily life arc. This is actually decent right now, though i wouldn't mind it turning battle-manga-esque.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LegACy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as long as it keeps it's comedy, I love to see it as a battle manga, 50-50 would be good

I dunno, I always liked Beel (as in Beal), because Beru is shortened from beruzebabu, right? so Beel is shortened from Beelzebub

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not everyone picking his own name. I'll go for zeb.

I liked this chapter a lot. Very funny how oga throw away zeb. His face when looking at those women with zeb was so hilarious demonic. Well he found a girl who could resist him. I kinda look forward to the baby's meeting
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Thread Closed
Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast