Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 401

Thread: The Nishi thread

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    @chief
    since all the hunters from previous missions died during their respective hunts, he had no one to brag to after getting his points. the internet was how he fulfilled his desire to brag. plus, if he ever decided to leave, he'd have a nice record of his time in gantz (thank you cookies, password manager, and favorites/homepage). it also could have been his subconscious getting the better of him. while he never wanted to directly help anybody else, his subconscious told him to make a website. this website, if discovered, could be used as a guidebook for hunters all over the world, though oka's might have been a tad more informative. XD

    uh, you can make that thread if you want.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

  2. #17
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    bragging rights kinda seems like nishi I guess, but at the same time kinda wierd of him to though, especially considering that one wrong move could've cost him his life. I wonder what gantz would do though if someone managed to make a succesful site of all gantz info before they died.

    and as for the thread nah im too sleepy too right now its 4 am here.

    ok this is gonna be my last post too sleepy but after identifying it ive found out that it could actually be nishi who killed the tengu

    here knob fires 2 shots which both hit tengu in the arm
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/262/22/

    here he fires off 2 more one which hits tengu on the left shoulder and another one which wipes off nearly half of tengu's face
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/262/23/

    however thats the last shot he fires off before he was captured
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/262/24/

    then awhile later
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/263/04/

    if you ask me it all fits together seeing as nishi had hold of an h-gun when he took down nuri.
    Last edited by Masterchief; August 22, 2008 at 03:11 AM.

  3. #18
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    nishi didn't pick up that gun until here:

    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/266/04/

    i'm inclined to believe george when he called it lag. he's probably more experienced at recognizing such things than we are, especially when it comes to bfg lag.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

  4. #19
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    dunna seems to late to be lag to me, its wierd though cuz we never see him fire off that shot. And when did he use the h-gun?

  5. #20
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    Quote Quote:
    i'm inclined to believe george when he called it lag. he's probably more experienced at recognizing such things than we are, especially when it comes to bfg lag.
    Tengu's head explodes from a standard X-gun, not an H-gun. There is always a second or two of lag, but not long enough to have a whole 30 second long conversation, depending on how fast they were talking. My own times saying the lines in a slow southern drawl averaged 37 seconds, but the japanese do talk a little faster than we do down here.

    It looks like Nishi did kill Tengu. He would be the only one who was both in the area and inclined to help. Not that he would care about saving Knob, but Tengu was worth quite a few points.

    Wish Oku would publish a mock-up of Nishi's website for us fans. It would be interesting to see some of Nishi's accounts of his adventures before Kei and Katou arrived.


    Quote Quote:
    as you can see, there is a button where the radar attaches to the wrist. in the page you pointed out to us, nishi appears to be applying pressure to the area where the button would be. this shows that nishi had better knowledge about the equipment, but it also proves that his suit isn't special.
    It isn't absolute proof, but it does look like you're probably right. All of the suits may be able to "store" the player's whole arsenal, so they can carry all of their weapons conveniently and don't have to build all of those holsters and things. Nishi just knows how to use the feature, and isn't bothering to show any of the others how to do it.

    And it does present some neat possibilities for the whole team.

    We may know more about the rules concerning reward weapons after the next issue. We'll probably also get to see if the BFG is really the 100 point reward, or if somebody more experienced gave them to the three sadists.
    Last edited by georgemarvin; August 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #21
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Fundefined's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    Nishi wasn't Izumi's mentor, it's the other way around

    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/222/02/

  7. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    That page shows that at one time, Izumi was the leader of the group. We know from the scraps of the webpage that Nishi was a Gantz member for at least 14 months, from the date on his first journal entry and the date on the last entry. He was probably a member for longer than that, since he probably wouldn't have started the web page immediately after his first mission. That's plenty of time to see a lot of leaders come and go. The typical Gantz member will either get 100 points and go home or die within about 3 to 6 missions. According to Oku and the Gantz manual, the missions were every 12 days until the 1000 arms mission, so Nishi has been in 30+ missions. He probably saw at least a half-dozen leaders either go home, like Izumi, or bite the big one. I suggested that he may have been trying to groom Kei for the position when he tried his best to get Kei to kill the onion alien after Nishi had captured it. He may very well have done the same for Izumi when he first arrived, with much more satisfactory results.

  8. #23
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheGenius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Around geniuses & idiots
    Country
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    I think in some strange fashion, that Nishi tried to be lead on the first mission that Kei and Katou took part. There is something that I can't pinpoint that makes me feel like Nishi was actually trying to be nice, and finally not be alone anymore doing the missions.
    President Netero/My D-A account!

  9. #24
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    meh, he probably just helped a little more because kei was the first noob to wear a suit in a long time. it would have been in nishi's interest to give each incoming group just enough info to possibly survive and/or kill a few things since point values and difficulty would go up if a new team was assembled. after all, he complained about how few points he was getting. however, i don't think it was nearly as complex as george is making it out to be. i highly doubt that izumi would have put up with any of the shit nishi ended up pulling with kei.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

  10. #25
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member staytough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    I don't know if Izumi wouldn't have put up with it, because we can assume that he was a different person back then.
    Maybe he wasn't the stone cold killer from the beginning?
    He was the leader of his group in the past but after rejoining gantz he was no team player anymore.
    And when he died he saved his girlfriend and said that he will go to hell for all the people he has killed (he showed some kind of remorse that didn't fit to his present self).

    So we could assume that he was kinda like Kurono when he first joined gantz and would have put up with Nishi because he only killed aliens or thought that Nishi could be a good resource for information and/or killing aliens.

    btw Nishi-Izumis and Kurono-Izumis relationship seem kind of alike:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/230/01/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/230/17/
    Last edited by staytough; August 26, 2008 at 02:20 AM.

  11. #26
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    whatever izumi's team was like, i doubt they resembled the "cut off my limbs and i'll forgive/accept you" team that exists now thanks to katou, gramps, kurono, and partly reika. if anyone creates alliances in a situation like gantz, the lone wolf is gonna go down. cause you know what, gantz really is nothing more than a prison that's instituted a new form of "community service." and if prison shows have taught me anything, it's that the person that resembles nishi will usually get some pleasantries up the ass or killed faster than gantz can say, "game on, bitches!" in other words, nishi wouldn't have lived through a month had he pulled that kinda crap during izumi's reign.

    p.s. maybe gantz would never say that but that's beside the point.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

  12. #27
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    Quote Quote:
    if prison shows have taught me anything, it's that the person that resembles nishi will usually get some pleasantries up the ass or killed faster than gantz can say, "game on, bitches!" in other words, nishi wouldn't have lived through a month had he pulled that kinda crap during izumi's reign.
    Gantz is nothing like a prison; it's more like an army. The troops go in to do battle against the enemy, then get a furlough to go home until they are needed again. If they are successful, they get weapons instead of promotions. They can leave after they have served their tour of duty, in this case it's not a set length of time but after they have contributed a certain amount to the war effort. Most of them will grumble about being conscripted against their will, but most of the veterans will re-enlist when they are offered a token incentive (better weapon).

    Nishi, Kaze, Izumi and Kei in particular don't think of Gantz as a prison. Nishi loves the game too much to ever leave. Kaze lives to fight. Izumi literally both killed and died to return. Before the 1000 arms mission, Katou had nightmares about the room, while Kei couldn't wait to go back. Notice in the call to Cherry, Nishi said that there were too many vampires for his "off-duty life" and he "wouldn't get any points". He thinks of Gantz like people think of their military service.

    Nishi would be a survivor in most armies; he has the skills to avoid being captured or killed while infiltrating the enemy's strongholds. He's smart, cautious and capable. He is very similar to a member of an elite infiltration squad. They aren't generally very friendly. In fact, they can be downright antisocial. They've seen friends die, so they are stand-offish. They may try to recruit somebody if they think he's really superior, but they look down on most people as totally inferior. They don't want to work with amateurs or rookies. They may hate the job, but it defines their existence, so they keep doing it. They are the ones who re-enlist until they die.

    Come to think of it, I figured out who Nishi reminds me of:
    1. My uncle. He was a sniper during WW II. Everybody says that before he went to war, he was normal. When I remember him, he had many of Nishi's attitudes and features. A sense of wariness like he thought that an enemy could be around any corner. A sense of fatality, like he was going to die soon, so he didn't care what people thought about his actions. A special kind of guilt, that of somebody who had lived when all of his friends had died. A cruelty, that of somebody who had 46 confirmed kills and thought of human life as a cheap commodity. He wouldn't have thought twice about killing somebody; he shot a man inside a police station.
    2. my brother-in-law. He's in Iraq right now. He has a tremendous pride in his service, but he's becoming cold, cruel and suspicious of everybody. It seems to be a hazard of combat duty.
    3. my business partner's son. He's on his third tour. Before his first tour, he was one of the friendliest guys you ever met. Now, he stands to the side of the room with his buddies on leave, and they don't socialize much with us civilians. They evidently consider us to be something akin to rabble. Not worth their notice. He has went from a natural born cynic to a true believer, too. And some of his war stories show that "collateral damage" has become acceptable in his eyes. Like parking a jeep in front of the house of a suspected terrorist; if he and his family are dead the next morning, they weren't terrorists. If they are alive, the suspect is arrested. He would never have accepted, much less been enthusiastic about, tactics like that before his first tour.
    4. And, to some degree, a friend who survived 6 years of service in Vietnam. That guy's much worse than Nishi, though. He's totally loopy. You'll just be sitting there and suddenly the couch is turned over and he's pulling you down behind it, yelling to get down and looking for some unseen enemy. Paranoid, antisocial, scared of his own shadow. Has a load of medals, though.

  13. #28
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheGenius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Around geniuses & idiots
    Country
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    Quote Originally Posted by georgemarvin View Post
    Gantz is nothing like a prison; it's more like an army. The troops go in to do battle against the enemy, then get a furlough to go home until they are needed again. If they are successful, they get weapons instead of promotions. They can leave after they have served their tour of duty, in this case it's not a set length of time but after they have contributed a certain amount to the war effort. Most of them will grumble about being conscripted against their will, but most of the veterans will re-enlist when they are offered a token incentive (better weapon).

    Nishi, Kaze, Izumi and Kei in particular don't think of Gantz as a prison. Nishi loves the game too much to ever leave. Kaze lives to fight. Izumi literally both killed and died to return. Before the 1000 arms mission, Katou had nightmares about the room, while Kei couldn't wait to go back. Notice in the call to Cherry, Nishi said that there were too many vampires for his "off-duty life" and he "wouldn't get any points". He thinks of Gantz like people think of their military service.

    Nishi would be a survivor in most armies; he has the skills to avoid being captured or killed while infiltrating the enemy's strongholds. He's smart, cautious and capable. He is very similar to a member of an elite infiltration squad. They aren't generally very friendly. In fact, they can be downright antisocial. They've seen friends die, so they are stand-offish. They may try to recruit somebody if they think he's really superior, but they look down on most people as totally inferior. They don't want to work with amateurs or rookies. They may hate the job, but it defines their existence, so they keep doing it. They are the ones who re-enlist until they die.

    Come to think of it, I figured out who Nishi reminds me of:
    1. My uncle. He was a sniper during WW II. Everybody says that before he went to war, he was normal. When I remember him, he had many of Nishi's attitudes and features. A sense of wariness like he thought that an enemy could be around any corner. A sense of fatality, like he was going to die soon, so he didn't care what people thought about his actions. A special kind of guilt, that of somebody who had lived when all of his friends had died. A cruelty, that of somebody who had 46 confirmed kills and thought of human life as a cheap commodity. He wouldn't have thought twice about killing somebody; he shot a man inside a police station.
    2. my brother-in-law. He's in Iraq right now. He has a tremendous pride in his service, but he's becoming cold, cruel and suspicious of everybody. It seems to be a hazard of combat duty.
    3. my business partner's son. He's on his third tour. Before his first tour, he was one of the friendliest guys you ever met. Now, he stands to the side of the room with his buddies on leave, and they don't socialize much with us civilians. They evidently consider us to be something akin to rabble. Not worth their notice. He has went from a natural born cynic to a true believer, too. And some of his war stories show that "collateral damage" has become acceptable in his eyes. Like parking a jeep in front of the house of a suspected terrorist; if he and his family are dead the next morning, they weren't terrorists. If they are alive, the suspect is arrested. He would never have accepted, much less been enthusiastic about, tactics like that before his first tour.
    4. And, to some degree, a friend who survived 6 years of service in Vietnam. That guy's much worse than Nishi, though. He's totally loopy. You'll just be sitting there and suddenly the couch is turned over and he's pulling you down behind it, yelling to get down and looking for some unseen enemy. Paranoid, antisocial, scared of his own shadow. Has a load of medals, though.
    Funny! in some ways...

    Spoiler show


    He should be a strategist and confirm his lone position in the group, kinda like your uncle, or Togo, a snipping back-up. If there could be 2 of them, I think the team would suffer less injuries and would be combat-able, longer than what they are used to.
    President Netero/My D-A account!

  14. #29
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    george u look like a nishi fan girl.Honestly nishi would most likely survive a war but that would be because he is a coward that would stay hidden till the war was over.His tactics to survive in gantz could be done by anyone the only thing that it takes is not to care about other people besides urself, he never puts his ass in danger not because he is skilled it is just because if u are in steath and does not engage the target the enemy wont find u and attack u back (such skills to stay quiet and do nothing).Nishi does not love gantz for gods sake are u insane? If he liked to put his life in danger to kill aliens he would have fought the vampires when izumi was there, wonder why he didnt? because there were no points to be gained and killing them would not make him any closer to getting 100 points and getting free from the game.He is not there like izumi and the ozakas because he fells alive in gantz he is there because he was forced to be there.Nishi is smart i give u that going steath and waiting for the perfect chance to strike while the others gantzer are distracting/dieing/fighting the aliens is by far the safest way to get 100 points but is also slow, and it takes no real skills, nishi was also quite smart on the first mission telling everybody it was a game, but he didnt do it because he cared about anyone he did it because if they all died trieng to go home he would have no baits to use.

  15. #30
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Nishi thread

    Quote Quote:
    george u look like a nishi fan girl.
    No need to be insulting. We're discussing a character in a comic book. Nasty remarks don't help the debate.
    Since you brought it up, though: Nishi isn't my favorite character. He wouldn't even be in my top 5. My favorites would be: Kei, Katou, Sei, the Old Man and Tae. I also like Kaze and Kishimoto. Much as I like Kaze, though, he should have been one of the first to die; his fighting style is fine for an arena, but terrible for a battlefield. And Kishimoto was a great character, but she shouldn't ever come back. And Reika is the best cheesecake character.
    Izumi, Nishi, HS, Knob, George, Kuwabara and the other bada$$es are interesting characters, though. It's a lot of fun figuring out their motives. And Nishi has been around a long time and knows a lot about Gantz, which makes him an even more interesting character.

    Quote Quote:
    Honestly nishi would most likely survive a war but that would be because he is a coward that would stay hidden till the war was over.
    Yeah, I'm sure he was trembling in fear when he took out the Onion Alien after it shredded Katou and Kei thought he was a goner.
    Spoiler show


    Quote Quote:
    he never puts his ass in danger not because he is skilled it is just because if u are in steath and does not engage the target the enemy wont find u and attack u back (such skills to stay quiet and do nothing).
    Yeah, tackling the 100 point boss Nurarihyon and getting his arm blown off, not to mention killing the Tengu to save Knob-yan after the Osakans said they would kill anybody who interfered with their hunt was realllly cowardly. The scene that makes people think Nishi is a coward is that he asked for help after his suit had died and he had lost his gun. Even Kaze would have enough sense to ask for help in a situation like that.

    Quote Quote:
    Nishi does not love gantz for gods sake are u insane?
    Sure he does. Remember the first hunt, after he had captured the Onion Alien. He told Kei exactly that: he loved the hunt. He loved seeing the aliens die. He saved Kei because he thought that Kei was just like him. He was mad when he saw that Kei didn't like killing for fun. Gantz is the only place that will allow Nishi to get his kicks by killing other sentient beings just for fun.

    Quote Quote:
    If he liked to put his life in danger to kill aliens he would have fought the vampires when izumi was there, wonder why he didnt? because there were no points to be gained and killing them would not make him any closer to getting 100 points and getting free from the game.
    We'll see when Nishi gets his 100 points. He does want them for something, but it's not going home.
    Spoiler show

    I don't think Nishi wants a BFG, unless it's to throw it to somebody else; his own method of hunting doesn't make them a real advantage in most situations. He probably won't rez anybody, either. He may bank the points toward a better reward; there's been some speculation about whether that's how Oka got the big robot.
    If you can't bank the points, I think he will probably revive somebody, but it won't be Izumi or anybody from the current roster. It will be somebody from before Kei arrived.
    He didn't tackle the vampires when they had their all-out assault on Izumi because, just like he said, the odds were against Izumi, he was off-duty, and he wasn't getting paid to fight them. That's just like if you saw somebody beating up a little guy, you might walk up and tell them to leave him alone, even if it meant that you would be getting into the fight. If 100 bikers were attacking somebody with knives and tire irons, you might want to help, but when you looked at the odds, you would probably decide that discretion was the better part of valor. You would call the police and hope that they arrived in time to help. Nishi has been around long enough to know that there are some battles that you can't win.

    Quote Quote:
    Nishi is smart i give u that going steath and waiting for the perfect chance to strike while the others gantzer are distracting/dieing/fighting the aliens is by far the safest way to get 100 points but is also slow, and it takes no real skills
    Actually, kill stealing would be a very fast way to get to 100 points. He could just stand there in stealth mode and wait for the perfect shot and get more points than anybody else every mission. If the average mission was 100 points total, he could probably steal half of the points that way.
    Of course his method of hunting would take skill. Try playing a stealther in WoW or UO. They're the hardest characters to play. In real life, the infiltration units are elite soldiers. It's the infantry who don't require much skill.

    Quote Quote:
    nishi was also quite smart on the first mission telling everybody it was a game, but he didnt do it because he cared about anyone he did it because if they all died trieng to go home he would have no baits to use.
    Did Nishi really need them for bait? Think about it. He could have used the capture gun on the big onion alien any time he wanted. It didn't even know he was there; he probably had it in his sights as soon as he transferred in. He did rescue Kei when the onion alien had cut Katou's arm up and was standing over them. The little onion alien wasn't even a challenge for the rookies. The only reason he did that was to see whether any of them was capable of making a Gantzer. When he was telling Katou that he used them for bait, he was just trying to show Katou how little that their lives mattered and that he was big and bad. Nishi couldn't tell anybody outside the team about Gantz, so he needed somebody to brag to. In fact, the guy with the glasses was the first to say that it was a TV show; Nishi just picked up on what they were already speculating.

New Reply
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts