Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: US-Colleges: The Good, The Bad, and The Way Too Expensive!

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Colleges: The Good, The Bad, and The Way Too Expensive!

On the topic of being an RA, I just had an interview last night for a position as one. I know that RAs at ODU get a yearly stipend of $7,500 (paid in increments throughout the 2 semesters) and they get their own room (even if it's meant to be a double) at the rate of only $1,000 per semester. They currently have 109 RAs, but next year they will only have 75 D= That's 35 cut positions!! So yeah, it's hard to be an RA because there aren't many positions and there's certain qualifications, too (GPA, experience, etc)

I'm back :3

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcongojack View Post
    Yes, everyone cares about their education, but not their grandchildren's. In yesterday's paper, we had about 2 call ins about "how tired they are for schools" because their children are all grown up.
    are you talking about the older populations? i wouldn't say that they don't care about their grandchilren's education. it's just that they can't afford to pay for tax increase. not all funding is spent on education (the schools at my local district spent it on plasma tv's).

besides, there are some elders who have trust funds for their grandchildren's education. i wouldn't generalize an entire population just off two call ins.

Quote Quote:
    First off, many teachers don't get paid $33,000 a year. Heck, some teachers in America don't get paid at all. "Teach for America" is a program where they take volunteers to teach in rural areas or the inner city. Their reimbursement? Living expenses and some college loan differment . In the South, some teachers don't make $20,000 a year. When the pay for teachers is lower than people who work at a fast food joint full time, many college-educated people are not going to go into teaching even if it's what they want to do because they don't want to live below the poverty line that badly.

Even in areas where teachers make $33,000 a year, it's not like they sit around all summer doing nothing. In Wisconsin, teachers have to go back to college to work towards a graduate degree. Afterwards they do get a pay increase, which is pretty reasonable since they have a doctorate. My main point is that the reason most people go to college for 4-6 years, dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-50K is to get a good job. If the pay for teachers does not match that of other jobs requiring an bachelors or graduate degree, less people are going to go after them.

there is no possible way for a teacher to make less than fast food workers so stop exaggerating without stating your source. the starting salary is ~$33000 (i know because my sister is an education major so she knows what the starting salary is). the median salary is a lot more than what you're saying according to the sites i've been to. (example: payscale, state-by-state, cnn salary wizard.)

teach for america is a program that isn't meant for teaching permanently. anyone who applies teaches for two years because they want to serve the areas that need it the most particularly the poor, urban areas. they're not doing it for a living. many of my friends are doing that program because they want the experience.

in the summers, teachers have to attend classes to remain accredited and to learn new strategies. they have to follow the text and the state mandates. there will always be good and bad people for a job; not all people who decide to become teachers are "crappy".

Quote Quote:
    Obscure? Public college tuitions have grown 53% above inflation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_tuition#Recent_trends
    ).
    i never denied the fact that tuition was raising. i was stating the reason why it was increasing because other members asked for a reason.

Quote Quote:
    Now I wasn't the valedictorian of my school but I did reasonably well (3.2 GPA and 29 on the ACT) and was fairly active in extracurriculars (Eagle Scout, Treasurer of the German Club, etc...) yet did not receive any scholarships. In fact, most of my friends who did receive scholarships got ~$100-200 a year, which ain't that much considering that tuition is 13,000 a year. And there are only so many RA and work study spots available.
    i have friends who had similar stats and they got scholarships. it's not like you have to be super smart in order to get a scholarship. you need to know where to apply for scholarships and to make connections.

even if there are limited spots available to become a RA or to do work study, there are other jobs available. there's no shame in working at a dining hall especially since the work there is usually the best on campus.

Quote Quote:
    Because their schools suck more. Many of those students come from India, China, etc..., which don't have such great schools. Heck, India's literacy rate is like 65% on average (75% for men, 53% for women). And the number of international students in the USA has dropped in recent years.
    like i said earlier, stop generalizing. there are good schools and there are bad schools everywhere. india has one of the best universities (iit) in the world (harder to get into compared to the ivies) so i woudn't say that other countries have "suckier" schools.

in order for students to study in america, they need to have a certain amount of money in the bank account to ensure the universities that they have a means to pay for it and to support themselves. still, they can receive scholarships especially if they're really smart. i have a friend from india who got a full ride to my university.

@ ladyh, good luck on the ra job! i'm sure that you did great in your interview ^^

credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

suffer school withdrawal with rb

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    there is no possible way for a teacher to make less than fast food workers so stop exaggerating without stating your source. the starting salary is ~$33000 (i know because my sister is an education major so she knows what the starting salary is). the median salary is a lot more than what you're saying according to the sites i've been to. (example: payscale, state-by-state, cnn salary wizard.)
    I, to, am an education major, and have researched the various salaries for teachers (which varies from state to state).
    While I was wrong that there are teachers who make less than $20K today (I based that of a statistic I read about 4 years ago), I did find out that teachers in Alabama make about 27K a year. A restaurant assistant manager at Pizza Hut makes about 200 bucks more a year. While this is, I will admit, pretty good compared to other fast food joints such as McDonald's (which is possibly the worst possible place to work(I know from personal experience...they made me pay for a used uniform!), it is similar to other places (such as Wendy's ). And $33K a year isn't that great, seeing as the median income in the US is 48K

Quote Quote:
    teach for america is a program that isn't meant for teaching
    permanently. anyone who applies teaches for two years because they want to serve the areas that need it the most particularly the poor, urban areas. they're not doing it for a living. many of my friends are doing that program because they want the experience.
    Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that rural and innercity areas are so strapped for teachers they need to rely on underqualified volunteers to take on the job.

Quote Quote:
    in the summers, teachers have to attend classes to remain accredited and to learn new strategies. they have to follow the text and the state mandates. there will always be good and bad people for a job; not all people who decide to become teachers are "crappy".
    Exactly, which refutes the point you made previously, where you said:
    Quote Quote:
    i think most people don't believe teachers don't need a pay increase due to the fact that they only work around nine months(time taken off from vacations). getting paid at least $33000 for that time period isn't that bad
    And I never said all teachers are "crappy". I just said many people who want to teach and would be good at it don't because they want a decent salary.

Quote Quote:
    i never denied the fact that tuition was raising. i was stating the reason why it was increasing because other members asked for a reason.
    You did not deny that it was raising, you just said it was rising obscurely. And to be honest, colleges have been adding on buildings/research labs/ etc... for centuries (my college, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has been pretty much under construction for the last 100 years), yet the college costs did not start to raise at this rate until about 20-30 years ago. It was the Reagan administration that cut funding to schools, among other things that caused this upturn in tuition.
    http://www.newfoundations.com/Clabau...ge/Reagan.html
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted rhapsody blue's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcongojack View Post
    I, to, am an education major, and have researched the various salaries for teachers (which varies from state to state).
    While I was wrong that there are teachers who make less than $20K today (I based that of a statistic I read about 4 years ago), I did find out that teachers in Alabama make about 27K a year. A restaurant assistant manager at Pizza Hut makes about 200 bucks more a year. While this is, I will admit, pretty good compared to other fast food joints such as McDonald's (which is possibly the worst possible place to work(I know from personal experience...they made me pay for a used uniform!), it is similar to other places (such as Wendy's ). And $33K a year isn't that great, seeing as the median income in the US is 48K
    that's one job which happens to be above one state's salary. don't generalize the data to the entire country.

Quote Quote:
    Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that rural and innercity areas are so strapped for teachers they need to rely on underqualified volunteers to take on the job.
    i wouldn't say that all the volunteers are underqualified. both of my friends who have gotten into the program were national merit finalists who received full rides to college and have worked closely with educators. they have studied the school system and worked as teacher assistants. teach ffor america has gotten really competitive now so i wouldn't say that they only pick "underqualified" candidates.

Quote Quote:
    Exactly, which refutes the point you made previously, where you said
    they have to pay to attend the classes; they aren't paid to go to them. besides, i know some teachers who go on vacation during these three months break.

also, i never said that i held these views. i'm pointing out what some people believe.

Quote Quote:
    And I never said all teachers are "crappy". I just said many people who want to teach and would be good at it don't because they want a decent salary.
    but it doesn't mean that they always wanted to be teachers. i know some smart people who decided to become teachers. there are also physicians who are instructors for universities and medical schools and lawyers who teach at law schools.

not everything is about money. some people i know would be good teachers but they just don't want to be in the profession.

Quote Quote:
    You did not deny that it was raising, you just said it was rising obscurely. And to be honest, colleges have been adding on buildings/research labs/ etc... for centuries (my college, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has been pretty much under construction for the last 100 years), yet the college costs did not start to raise at this rate until about 20-30 years ago. It was the Reagan administration that cut funding to schools, among other things that caused this upturn in tuition.
    http://www.newfoundations.com/Clabau...ge/Reagan.html
    and i was talking about the reasons for the raising cost of tuition. no one can clearly state why this is occurring. i wouldn't blame the raising cost of tuition on just one administration. there are the university's board of trustee that decide on the cost for various reasons. the cost of living is increasing so the university must adjust in order to provide for their employee and to remain competitive among other schools.

credit to the amazing GrayFoxx for this amazing sig ^.~

suffer school withdrawal with rb

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrcongojack's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    that's one job which happens to be above one state's salary. don't generalize the data to the entire country.
    I was not making a generalization about all teachers, I was just proving that there are teachers who make less than fast food workers.

Quote Quote:
    they have to pay to attend the classes; they aren't paid to go to them. besides, i know some teachers who go on vacation during these three months break.
    ....all the more reason that the "they only work 9 mo. a year" argument is flawed. And I know a lot of teachers (all five of my grandparents (my grandfather remarried) were teachers, my mother was a teacher, two of my aunts and my uncle were/are teachers, their friends are teachers, etc...) Many of the ones who live in the states (half my family is Canadian, living out in BC) had to work part time jobs during the year and the summer to provide for their families. My grandfather, for example, worked as a carpenter during the summer. My Psych teacher in high school painted houses during the summer. None of my relatives/relative's friends/ former teachers did nothing during the summer. For every teacher that does nothing during the summer, there's at least one (probably more) that either work or go back to school.

Quote Quote:
    i wouldn't say that all the volunteers are underqualified. both of my friends who have gotten into the program were national merit finalists who received full rides to college and have worked closely with educators. they have studied the school system and worked as teacher assistants. teach ffor america has gotten really competitive now so i wouldn't say that they only pick "underqualified" candidates.
    By underqualified, I mean someone without a BSE or another education degree. I didn't say all of them are underqualified, I just said that there are underqualified volunteers. And you can't generalize the academic achievements of all the volunteers based on two friends.

This conversation is getting super off topic, so before I get the ban hammer or accidentally cause this thread to get closed, I've started a different topic in the "world topics" board. Here's the link:
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showt...988#post726988
    Everyone who was on this board when I signed up has either been banned or left.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Whattaa?!? College costs that much in america?! I guess it's a lot cheaper in Finland, almost all schools are almost free. Usually you just buy your school books...hehehe....
    You really think they like to rock in the space? Well I don't know.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member arslan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punky fish View Post
    Whattaa?!? College costs that much in america?! I guess it's a lot cheaper in Finland, almost all schools are almost free. Usually you just buy your school books...hehehe....
    Yeah that is a sad fact. You would almost think that higher education is discouraged in the US XD. Take my college tuition for example. I mean am I supposed to worry about the $28000 a year or am i supposed to study. Quite a bit of tuition is covered by scholarships and grants and you have to take loan for some of it but yeah. Higher education is pretty expensive is US.

Not to mention the books are freakin' expensive here too. After extensive search over various websites and purchasing many used books, my total for the books alone came out to be around $800-900 for the year..
    Last edited by arslan; May 04, 2008 at 05:41 PM.

"To an organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in uni or anything but my sis is on her third year there and for her it's almost free, only buying books herself and the rest is on the state. I think i wont apply to any American college then i guess.. might stick to Norway or England..
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member daradik's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is some messed up figures. $28k a year is a bit too much imho. Here in England I managed to get into a pretty decent uni for a little over £3k/year, of course I stayed local but that still goes to almost £5k, more or less $10k.

I'm not sure what kind of expenses that covers, does that include lodgings and such? or just mainly your tuition fee? coz if that's the latter then... (x__x)
    。゚(゚´Д`゚ )゚。

Anyone know of a good series to read? I could use some more titles to add to me reading list.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member arslan's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

No. $28000 was tuition alone. Luckily, I live close by and I don't have to live in dormitory so that helps a little. Otherwise the expenses would have been around $40k.

"To an organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." Albus Dumbledore

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ascension's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: US-Colleges: The Good, The Bad, and The Way Too Expensive!

I have been to ODU once, but I honestly can't remember much about it. One summer my old boss set me up in a beach house in Virginia beach while working in Norfolk for a summer. One of the best times of my life. =)

Newbie Guide:
    I am still attending ECU in North Carolina. The entire process from applying, to financial aid, and moving into the dorm is a pain no matter to what school. That will be your job when you aren't in school and not working whatever job on the side. You will find yourself in what will seem like a never ending scavenger hunt but with the help of parents and high school advisors get out as many applications as you can as soon as you can. The waiting list is no fun.

Essays:
    When you get to college that whole 5 body paragraph thing goes out the window. You are actually "free" to think about writing and make it flow how you please. When writing your acceptance theme, the most important is the introduction (attention getter) and conclusion (summary and recall the main points you make). When writing the body they are looking for aspiring students that convince them through writing that they are passionate, determined, and portray good leadership abilities. Sorry it this comes across as vague, but whatever the topic, keep those qualities in mind and try to portray that through your written words.

Financial Aid:
    Is evil, but the most important! Depending on your parents salary and other factors they will calculate an EFC or expected family contribution. This number can vary per year or even semester. Make sure your parents have their tax information handy, and go ahead and start an account with FAFSA (be careful! there are some sites out there that pretend to be FAFSA). It would be wise for your parents to make an acount as well as you will have to file a new FAFSA every year (keep your pin handy! In fact, get a filing box that you and parents share keep all this info in). Once complete, it will process and they will let you know what Federal grants will be available and what loans you may have to take out. Usually with Federal Loans the typical kind are Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsized. The difference is that the subsidized will be payments made 6 months after you are out of school (graduated or not!). If you have to take a semester off that's ok, but you will lose your 6 month grace period as soon as you graduate. Unsubsidized is when you or your family has to make payments each month on a loan as soon as it processes. Stafford loans are the best kind since they have the lowest interest rates, and if you ever decided to go military afterwards they are more likely to pay them all off compared to other private loan agencies.

Free Money: harass the hell out of the financial aid department. Phones are usually swamped around this time so I HIGHLY recommend make a few visits to the school of choosing's financial aid department and sit down with a representative and weight out your options. If nothing happens the first time around, go back and sit down with a different representative. Through my experience if you play the sympathy card and keep pushing, the financial aid officers will work for you and find you more and more FREE money. You would be surprised when sitting there in front of a representative how much grant money they will stumble upon which is sweet! The more you bark and chew the more money you will find, I guarantee it. I am an instate student, and when I first enrolled I spent way more money on dorms and meal plans than I ever did on tuition.

Class Registartion:
    Class registration is a first come first serve basis. At my school atleast, Seniors get first pick of classes when initial registration begins. 1 day later, it's juniors, then Sophmores, and eventually you, Freshy! Picking your classes will be relatively easy to start since they will mostly be all core classes (standard classes before your major courses or specialized courses). Usually people don't declare a major until their Sophmore year once they have had a little taste of everything. 12 semester hours (4 classes) is the bare minimum for a full time student. 15 hours (5 classes) is the norm, and 18/19 semester hours is the max. You can declare your major early if you would like, but the chances of you changing your major are much greater as you progress and will be set back. Unless you get lucky, you will have really early classes starting at 8 a.m. If you are ahead of the rest, you can start at 10 or 11 =) The worst classes are 6-9 one day a week. Three hours of the same stuff will make you brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake View Post
    On the topic of being an RA, I just had an interview last night for a position as one. I know that RAs at ODU get a yearly stipend of $7,500 (paid in increments throughout the 2 semesters) and they get their own room (even if it's meant to be a double) at the rate of only $1,000 per semester. They currently have 109 RAs, but next year they will only have 75 D= That's 35 cut positions!! So yeah, it's hard to be an RA because there aren't many positions and there's certain qualifications, too (GPA, experience, etc)
    Wish i would have applied to be an RA, but after one year I was ready to move off campus.
    Last edited by Ascension; April 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life."

Special thanks to e-nat

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, yeah, me too. I declined the RA position last summer, too much work to do on top of all the studying I do now, and at the time I'd just gotten a new job and didn't want to leave it. I commuted from home this year and loved it (except for traffic in the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel - that shit's ridiculous), particularly since I didn't have to pay a dime for housing/meal plans.

Oh, Ascension, on the topic of essays, I totally agree. They aren't Intro w/ topic sentence leading to three discussion points, paragraph on, two, three, restatement of topic sentence with conclusion. I HATED those! All the papers I write now, as long as everything flows and transitions smoothly, has correct grammar, citations, and structure, are accepted. Some of my professors re so lax about it >_>; I turned in my final research paper for my deviant behavior class, and I got 150/150pts xD And it was bare minimum requirements xDDD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

deviant behavior? I'm assuming that's a psychology class?
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life."

Special thanks to e-nat

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a sociology/criminology class I took as a filler. I'm actually an exercise science/pre-physical therapy major xD I just needed another class to fit my schedule to be fulltime this semester.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Re: US-Colleges: The Good, The Bad, and The Way Too Expensive!

ah, gotcha. Power to you. You are in a competitive field

Make sure to attend Lunatic Luau this year
    Last edited by Ascension; May 02, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Special thanks to e-nat

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast