Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Study Science with Manga

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuts Study Science with Manga

Bored from your studies but exams coming up? Why not take a break from the school books and try your knowledge on a manga character?

One Piece - Physical Excursion to Sanji's kick power (by an uncredited physics student)
    http://de.opwiki.org/wiki/Sanji#Phys...jis_Trittkraft

Translation without formulas, see the link for the images. All credits to opwiki.

Quote Quote:
    The calculation refers to the following assumptions:

* There is no wind.
    * Sanji kicks Bon Curry who flies 50m far. Therefor x=50
    * Bon Curry is 2m tall and gets kicked into the face. Therefor y0=2
    * Since Bon Curry lands on the ground: y=0
    * Sanji kicks horizontally, therefor vy=0

Because the trajectory is always parabolic, we can now calculate how long Bon Curry flies:

* After 0,64 seconds, he flight 50m far.

With this, we can calculate now how fast he becomes directly after Sanji's kick:

* Sanji's kick abruptly speeded him up to 280,8km/h!

If we assume that the contact between Sanji's leg and Bon Curry's head took 0,1 seconds...

* ... therefor the speed-up is 780m/s²

And if we further assume that Bon Curry weights 70kg...

* ... than a power of 54600 Newton is necessary to let him fly like this...

* ... which is 5571kg.

As result we can say, that Sanji's leg as well as Bon Curry's neck are extreme solid and that Sanji shows us a monstrous kick power.
    I can't calculate such stuff myself (math disorder) but I always enjoy reading it. Of course, the results of such calculation are always ridicolous imposible but who cares. So why not have a little fun with your studies and use your favorite manga character as an guinea pig. Have fun!

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Study Science with Manga

I've just come recently to the study corner section and this thread. It proves I don't like studying.

As a mod I have to spot the errors in the demonstration done on OPwiki not to let MH members do physics wrongly
    First, he forgot an important hypothesis. With his reasoning the center of mass of the guy that flies shall be... in the head. Only the center of mass has a parabolic trajectory when a body is in a uniform field of force. If we use solid mechanics the movement of the body would be the addition of this trajectory and a rotation. Think about the same experience but in space. Actually, in the anime Planetes, it is important to understand some of the scenes. The girl had some problems with adjusting the axis of the force with the center of mass and she begins to rotate. That was quite good in the anime here. I have some doubt about other scientific statements elsewhere in the anime though. For example, I don't remember which atom it was (deuterium?), but I don't think the moon can store such a light element because there is not enough gravity. On the long term they would have been ejected.
    On the other hand you don't need gravity knowledge to see Bakemonogotari woo!

EDIT: lol, after I wrote that I read an article mentioning helium-3 on the moon, I looked it up on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3
    Not sure how He-3 is stored, whether it is just trapped or with an ionic form with other elements.

Till the calculation of the horizontal speed, it is correct, but it is weird to keep the movement equations under a parametric form (depending on the time).

Things get complicated to calculate the energy necessary to eject the guy.
    First he takes as a hypothesis that the contact remains during 0.1 second. For a hypothesis that the flight lasts 0.63 with the same speed, it becomes not negligible and screws the previous reasoning (constant horizontal speed). Moreover, the head travels at least more than 5 meters for 0.1 sec, so Sanji has pretty long legs. And there is some confusion between the force and the work of the force that is the real thing to calculate to know how much energy the flying guy receives. Whatever the force applied, what is important is the final kinetics energy you can calculate easily with the speed and the mass of the flying guy. And you can add as a hypothesis that the transfer of energy from the kick to the guy is instantaneous in comparison to the 0.63 seconds. (Note: Power and force are too different concepts and such power does not have newton as a unit)
    Last edited by Meromorphe; September 06, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankgod I don't have science and those complicated stuff since I chose to have an artistic education when I finished junior high school. Perhaps the most complicated thing I have is geometry since I want to be an architect I really need it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This kind of makes me remember how Inui defeated Ootori and Shishido pair by his data tennis.

Wow, was all I said.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is crazy. I didn't know there's such a thing in a manga. Manga is supposed for fun, not studying! XD But still, it's interesting. Thank you for the awesome sharing. :P

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    This is crazy. I didn't know there's such a thing in a manga. Manga is supposed for fun, not studying! XD But still, it's interesting. Thank you for the awesome sharing. :P
    The way you said it will make people who like studying say something like this: "Hey, studying is fun!" XD
    Ah, it's really interesting. I like things that can broaden my knowledge.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lunacat's Avatar
    Country
    Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the manga containing study compartiments is Toriko, the Mangaka is a genius <3 (nutrition, biology, physics...) pretty cool

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ever want to learn physics read Air Gear and consider the opposite of what the mangaka says true

New Reply