Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The kaya Thread

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member kaya's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The kaya Thread

Hello. Welcome to my thread.

About Me
    Name: kaya
    Date of Birth: 8th August 1989
    Nationality: Singaporean
    Currently living in: Singapore
    Language(s): Chinese(Native, Fluent), English(Fluent), Japanese(So-so, I think…)

So I’m kaya. Erh, that’s not my actual name but that’s how I recognize myself on the internet.
    But feel free to call me by any nick you wanna. I don’t mind.

How do I started learning Japanese
    Learning Japanese has always been my dream since as a child.
    So I worked intensively during my vacation in 2005, in order to attend the classes. I started in January 2006, went to a humble but cozy Japanese school for night classes. It’s twice per week and lasts about 2 hours, and so, I managed to attend for a year until I’m in their so-called “JLPT 3 preparatory classes. “(It seems more like lower-intermediate level to me.) Realizing that I couldn’t further my level with them, I left and spent half of the year scattering around, trying for different schools but it doesn’t help much either.
    So in the end, I decided to study on my own, and I’ve been self-taught ever since. (It helps to save money too. The higher level you are, the more expensive it will get!)

JLPT
    I’ve took JLPT4 in 2006 and scored 97%. However, I only got borderline pass for JLPT3 in 2007 because I studied in the last minute. Yikes.*laugh*
    That period is also the same time I was dashing around, switching schools and such, so I didn’t have a strong foundation. Getting that kind of result is a good wake-up call as it reinforces me to work much.much.much harder. I can’t say I have a good self-discipline, but when comes to determination, I will never give up.

I will be taking JLPT 2 this year, but I…I just spent this entire year reading books, watching shows and doing translation. I didn’t touch any textbooks so…. I will do my best nonetheless.

Land of the Rising Sun
    I have never set foot into Japan before. Well…One day, I will.
    After all, my ultimate dream is actually to become a mangaka.
    And speaking of which, it means I can draw. I still can’t say I’m professional, but I know with enough practice, I can do it well.

You can check this place for my artist self. Please pester me to update. I’ve been hiatus-ing ever since…. I dunno.

Why do I translate
    You can say that doing translation is part of my plan to be a mangaka. On the same time, I can get to read more manga, pay attention to how mangaka works and study their creations.
    However, it’s all boils down to my love towards Japanese and manga/comics that I do translation. (Funnily to say, the one that made me pick up Japanese is not manga. I fall in love with a singer named Hamasaki Ayumi in 2000 and I’ve been her fan ever since. And then, I told myself, "I WANT TO STUDY JAP FOR AYU!!!"
    For my adoration towards manga/comic, it only grows more prominently in 2005, and that’s the period I only thought about being an artist, even though I’ve been drawing since as a child.)

I guess one part of me is to improve my skill and ….show it off?*laugh* Another part of me is to ensure that the readers would attain the highest quality at all times. It frustrates me whenever I see something so badly done that you have to wonder what kind of bloody language are they speaking. Mistranslation pissed me off even more because the meaning is twisted.

But I guess in the end, my love towards languages drive me the most. Japanese, to me is a very beautiful language and I hope I can converse its beauty to the rest of the world and along the way, perhaps you may pick the language up and enjoy all your favorites in its most authentic state ever.

What kind of works do I translate
    Although I read everything, I usually focus more on works that are rather underrated, provided that I love them too. Once I settle on a series, I will usually stick to it till the end of time, even though it may have 1000000000000000000000 other translators working on it. But then again, how can it be underrated in the first place? Wrong logic. *laugh*

So basically, the things I’m working on are truly my favorites, but it’s just that they need a bit of more loving, and I believe it’s worth putting my utmost effort because they deserve it.

Sorry, I don’t do request due to the lack of time.

Currently, I'm neither in the level nor I have the time whereby I can translate whatever I read. (Time and speed is the bigger problem to me.) I hope I can do it one day though.

Translation Works
    Just see for yourself.

The Best of the Best(Well, in my world. And not really in the order.)

My favourite genre is Comedy, Drama, Comedy-drama, Romance, Action, Adventure and Horror.

Inquiries
    Just drop a comment or a PM and I will get back to you ASAP.
    For further questions, please check out here or contact "kaya" at bananakaya@live.com.sg

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by kaya; February 08, 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kyrie Eleison's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The kaya Thread

Hey, what does kaya mean? Also JLPT 2 should be a piece of cake with your skills. Talking from previous exams it's not particularly hard. I'll be taking JLPT 1 this December too just for the sake of having some solid certificate in hand. Good luck and don't leave studying to the last minute :p
    I'm not taking any translation requests.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member kaya's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The kaya Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison View Post
    Hey, what does kaya mean? Also JLPT 2 should be a piece of cake with your skills. Talking from previous exams it's not particularly hard. I'll be taking JLPT 1 this December too just for the sake of having some solid certificate in hand. Good luck and don't leave studying to the last minute
    LOL. There isn't really a meaning to it, but I got this name out of a gag. I love eating this bread in my country which it called "kaya toast". Well, you can't say I like it... It's more like I don't have a choice since I'm poor, so I always eat this for breakfast/lunch. And then my bestie laughed at me by calling us the "kaya bread" duo(since she's poor too. "Great minds think alike.") She's "Bread" and I'm "kaya". I thought the name is kinda adorable and hilarious so I took it. (And of cos, my bestie said I'm crazy for taking it seriously.)

Oh, I'm more relieved to hear that after you said it, but I better study. I admitted I don't really study much for any JLPT and just went to the examination straight away.(But I only got stressed when I'm on the actual test, because people are taking out their notes and studying like mad while I just.... stand there?)
    I do think I should have no problem, but I have to at least score much better so that I can pass my JLPT 1 when it comes.(The passing rate for 1 is 60%-70%)
    It takes a certain level to take up translation job, and that level is around JLPT 2. So you can actually gauge the level of the translators by looking at their translations.

Anyway, good luck for your JLPT 1. Do share your experiences! You can do it.
    Last edited by kaya; September 09, 2008 at 01:42 AM.

New Reply