Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 27 of 87 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Tail Hangout Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fairy Tail Hangout Thread

I have noticed that in spite of this being an awesome manga, it's forum is generally empty so instead of starting a new thread for this, I will just write about it here.

Ok, so recently wendy was revealed to be a dragon slayer, which to some extent was expected considering grandines comments to igneel. Now, as the name dragon slayer would suggest, a dragon slayer is a warrior who, as proven by natsu when he fought luxus, is supposed to deal ideally with dragons.

Considering that, I find it extremely unusual that wendy is apparently largely incapable of fighting. Even if she was trained by a dragon, why would her magic be considered dragon slayer if she cannot fight? Her magic would seem to be the exact opposite of dragon slaying, she would seem to be a dragon healer if anything.

Also, from gasille, natsu and luxus we have seen basically the same attacks although adapted to their respective elements. For instance we have seen elemental roars, punches or spears. I would expect basically the same attacks from basically any dragon slayer at this point, so how would this be reflected on wendy? Would she be capable of slashing winds and tornadoes? What we have seen so far suggests she is not. So far we have only seen this:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/141/09/

Maybe that healing technique is comparable to luxus, natsu's and gasille's own type of punches. If that's the case the maybe wendy's equivalent to a spear or roar are even more powerful healing techniques(yet that would contrast her dragon slayer title). It was also said wendy had supporting spells, so maybe her version of other DS techniques can make others stronger.

Now, another thing that bothers me is that wendy seems to have severe limitation on her magic, which is a significant difference from natsu, gazille and luxus. According to charles, it consumes way too much magic. In any case I find that weird because fatigue is not something which should get both of this responses from charle:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/138/06/
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/manganimet...nline/38591/14

Another thing I find disturbing about wendy is how old she seems to be. She seems to be about 10-12 years old. Considering the dragons disappeared 7 years ago, wendy must have learned her ancient, lost incredibly power magic when she was between 0-3/5 years old. That would be weird IMHO. Of course, if there is magic behind it, there could be something wrong with a DS age, considering that natsu and gazille were not able to cross that barrier in the luxus arc. Maybe the DS are really all over 80 years old.

What could be the result of overusing wendy's magic? And even if she did overuse it, could she not get better by eating air, her element, as natsu and gazille did when fighting each other?

So basically, what does it all mean? What is the deal with wendy? How does she slay a dragon? Maybe wendy as a dragon slayer has a different purpose from the more traditional DS. Or maybe she can fight, and is darn good at it, but she says she can't simply because her healing abilities are too overwhelmingly stronger than her fighting abilities.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ero-Sanji's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I have noticed that in spite of this being an awesome manga, it's forum is generally empty so instead of starting a new thread for this, I will just write about it here.

Ok, so recently wendy was revealed to be a dragon slayer, which to some extent was expected considering grandines comments to igneel. Now, as the name dragon slayer would suggest, a dragon slayer is a warrior who, as proven by natsu when he fought luxus, is supposed to deal ideally with dragons.

Considering that, I find it extremely unusual that wendy is apparently largely incapable of fighting. Even if she was trained by a dragon, why would her magic be considered dragon slayer if she cannot fight? Her magic would seem to be the exact opposite of dragon slaying, she would seem to be a dragon healer if anything.

Also, from gasille, natsu and luxus we have seen basically the same attacks although adapted to their respective elements. For instance we have seen elemental roars, punches or spears. I would expect basically the same attacks from basically any dragon slayer at this point, so how would this be reflected on wendy? Would she be capable of slashing winds and tornadoes? What we have seen so far suggests she is not. So far we have only seen this:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/141/09/

Maybe that healing technique is comparable to luxus, natsu's and gasille's own type of punches. If that's the case the maybe wendy's equivalent to a spear or roar are even more powerful healing techniques(yet that would contrast her dragon slayer title). It was also said wendy had supporting spells, so maybe her version of other DS techniques can make others stronger.

Now, another thing that bothers me is that wendy seems to have severe limitation on her magic, which is a significant difference from natsu, gazille and luxus. According to charles, it consumes way too much magic. In any case I find that weird because fatigue is not something which should get both of this responses from charle:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/138/06/
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/manganimet...nline/38591/14

Another thing I find disturbing about wendy is how old she seems to be. She seems to be about 10-12 years old. Considering the dragons disappeared 7 years ago, wendy must have learned her ancient, lost incredibly power magic when she was between 0-3/5 years old. That would be weird IMHO. Of course, if there is magic behind it, there could be something wrong with a DS age, considering that natsu and gazille were not able to cross that barrier in the luxus arc. Maybe the DS are really all over 80 years old.

What could be the result of overusing wendy's magic? And even if she did overuse it, could she not get better by eating air, her element, as natsu and gazille did when fighting each other?

So basically, what does it all mean? What is the deal with wendy? How does she slay a dragon? Maybe wendy as a dragon slayer has a different purpose from the more traditional DS. Or maybe she can fight, and is darn good at it, but she says she can't simply because her healing abilities are too overwhelmingly stronger than her fighting abilities.
    Well okay, first of all she's not the dragon slayer of wind but the sky. And to me all the dragon slayers are immune to their resp element in other words they are the best candidates to fight their own dragons.

And to me Grandine seems more lika a fairy than a dragon which may also result in different types of dragons and some are meant for fighting while others are the supplementary type, who knows the earth dragon slayer might be a defense type. And btw maybe Wendy has hidden potential her magic might be close to Fried's in which she can make herself stronger, faster etc..

Her age is the most fascinating of all in the Fairy tail Saga, at the "civil war" at fairy tail luxus and natsu got trapped and the rule was: People over 80 years and statues aren't allowed to escape...

So either the dragon slayers are over 80 years or they are statues hmm.
    And the fact that she is like 10-12 as you said makes it quite interesting because she must have been left while at the age of 3-5.

All i can say is we will have to see at the end of the arc.
    Fate of Darkness vs Rubber Dream
    Purple Dragon vs Three-sword-Dragon
    Alcohol vs Money
    Lazy Eye vs Eye Lie
    Wrestling Jesus vs Cooking Pervert
    Horseman of Death vs Deer Life
    Decaying Female vs Blooming Demon
    Battleship vs Cyborg
    Gentleman with wings vs Gentleman with bones

THIS BATTLE HAS IT ALL!!!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member hongoasdf's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Even within the other Dragonslayers yet to be introduced, I believe Wendy will have more importance, due to the same reason that you have been giving. What we have seen of her magic isn't exactly "Dragon-Slaying", so she either has combat capabilities that she doesn't want to show for whatever reason, or she's bound to be a "special" kind of Dragonslayer, plot-wise. I'm going with this last posibility.

Of course, since we have only seen three real Dragonslayers, it could be that one (or more) of the others doesn't have any combat capabilities either, which would mean Wendy isn't that unique of a Dragonslayer... but that would render the name "Dragonslayer" incorrect, which would require explaination.

I expect Mr. Mashima to come up with some good story for the Dragon arc, explaining their ages and the purpose of their magic, and every doubt there seems to be about them. But it would be nice if he didn't rush it. Introducing a new Dragonslayer every two arcs or so, taking the main plot slowly, and not coming to the point where it's like "Crap, I've got to hurry it, and I've only introduced (insert number here) of Dragonslayers so far... I'll just make it so all the remaining ones come in at the same time next arc, with no explaination whatsoever". If that happened, I'd stop reading this manga.

Well, not really, but it would certainly lose major points in my opinion.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that you guys mention it, i swear i have been suspicious with Natsu age since the guild car introduction on the first page of the chapter started. Remember, his age status is: unknown. And in Luxus arc, my suspicion grow bigger when Natsu unable cross the barrier, and so is Gazille. And i think Natsu knows Wendy but he forgot for some reason, he commented about it and even ask Gray to remember for him.

Maybe when they learn Dragon Slayer magic, time and place become interwitten each other, or simply it tooks ages to learn it. Anyway either way Dragon Slayer magic is one of many lost magic in FT universe. There must be some secret waiting to be revealed at the end of this arc or maybe next 2 arc. maybe it has something to do with the secret of Fairy Tail. My gut(?lol) telling me that some ppl can weild lost magic by learning it, and some weild it through lacryma crystal means or something like fakes lost magic weilder(i.e Luxus). And probably Mistgun is one of them, based on his convo with Luxus inside the Caldia Cathedral. No matter what are they, i am looking forward to read future chapters.

Edit:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by cleodux; July 13, 2009 at 04:12 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Unlucky Boy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleodux View Post
    Now that you guys mention it, i swear i have been suspicious with Natsu age since the guild car introduction on the first page of the chapter started. Remember, his age status is: unknown. And in Luxus arc, my suspicion grow bigger when Natsu unable cross the barrier, and so is Gazille. And i think Natsu knows Wendy but he forgot for some reason, he commented about it and even ask Gray to remember for him.
    I just noticed Gazille's card also says his age is unknown
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/105/01/

I always thought the barrier thing wouldnt be about their age because that would be too obvious but it seems like it is...

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find completely weird is that all the DS managed to learn an ancient and powerful magic when they were extremely young. Maybe their feeling of time when with the dragons was different than when not with them.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Gazille too, then Wendy should be obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    What I find completely weird is that all the DS managed to learn an ancient and powerful magic when they were extremely young. Maybe their feeling of time when with the dragons was different than when not with them.
    Or the dragon cast magic barrier of some sort. It just like in DB where Goku and the rest train for a couple of days for like month inside the (forgot the name) oh wait... isnt it the opposite >.< what ever is it, you got the idea, Mashima just like Oda influenced a lot by Toyama.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe the dragon slayers were reborn or something. Maybe they were very powerful mages long time ago, maybe even the mages who sealed Zeref.
    The dragons made them somehow babies again...maybe to protect them from something...or because they will be needed in the future...anyway It can explain how Blaine knows Wendy and why he calls her "the sky sorceress", and why Natsu feels like he knows Wendy.
    And also how Gerard knows Natsu http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/23/20/

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone pointed this link out a few days ago and I decided to ask cnet about it.
    http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/3129/184
    This is what he said it meant:
    Quote Originally Posted by cnet128 View Post
    I think the key point in there is the bit in giant text, stating that Fairy Tail and Rave are "NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY!!".
    I guess that's that then. I am severely disappointed though, what's the point of showing so many rave characters if there is no sort of connection whatsoever?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Dalyup!'s Avatar
    Country
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Some fan service to those older readers who also read Rave?

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and i think Mashima himself also likes his own Rave characters too. I am in the middle of reading Rave now, i am actually suprise of how many characters design are literary taken out from Rave and transfer to Fairy Tail. And it is really incredible to witness how Haru's face changes throughout the volume... becoming more like Natsu like lol. I read FT first then Rave so i feel weird >.<

Sieghart <3 now i know why Rave fans are so crazy about him.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is unusual that mashima's current characters look like a bunch of his previous ones, that is something manu mangaka's tend to do.

Just compare yuyuhakusho and hunterhunter. Some characters are esentially clones of yusuke, hiei, kurama and kuwabara.

Inuyasha and ranme 1/2. Yet another group of clones.

Compare hellsing and drifters.

I guess once mangakas get a group of well liked characters, they stick to their designs for future mangas.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

It's also not unusual for old characters to make appearance in newer works of the same artist. I saw the same thing in other animes, mangas and video games. Mashima must really love the Rave characters as there are so many cameos of them, and I noticed just one of another work of his (Monster Soul).

On the same note, there was a cameo of those 3 jiggly-butt brothers from Rave in one episode of the anime GetBackers, though I dont think Mashima had anything to do with that anime...

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something I posted in the chapter discussion thread but given that it is kinda important I will also post it here. I would prefer to post it somewhere were more people could see it though considering a few weeks from now both, this post and the one in the chapter discussion thread will be hard to find.

Quote Quote:
    Link:
    http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/3129/184

Translation:
    I think the key point in there is the bit in giant text, stating that Fairy Tail and Rave are "NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY!!".
    That would be a no. The bit right after the giant text goes:

"My previous work RAVE and Fairy Tail take place in entirely different worlds. You might spot characters other than Sieglein who look rather familiar, as well, but they are completely different people. I simply made Sieglein as a kind of homage for the benefit of the readers who enjoyed RAVE. He's not the same person as Sieghart, and his personality is different as well. As such, you don't need to worry if you don't even know who Sieghart is. Just one thing - Sieghart was a really cool, nice guy, so I think Sieglein is probably going to be a bad guy. Well, we'll have to wait and see."
    Too bad, I really wanted rave and FT to take place in the same world..... The truth makes it less fun to look for old characters.....

I wonder.... if there is a water DS, would it actually be any different from jubia?
    Last edited by kkck; July 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a water DS, it will has the same element power with Juvia but different syle of magic. He/she will has to drink water to power up lol.

Oh and at ch 144 front page. We see Wendy's profile, and she is 12 >.< it defeats the theory about DS are above 80 years old age. (i probably supposed to post it in DS thread... oh well)

New Reply
Page 27 of 87 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast