Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neo's One piece 514 Review

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member neomaster121's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece Neo's One piece 514 Review

Well after my break last week from such a great chapter its back to normal reviewing.

Chapter 414

Well after last weeks excessive damage to the pirates it seems like the cp9 have done their bit and have done what was needed, let the celebrations begin.

Well back to the chapter and after a long run of high tempo epic chapters last week’s chapter marked a change, but after so many of these fighting chapters and with the how to escape for 3 days a change was expected.

Duval guarding the ship

Well after the last chapter and the strawhats gone many questions were in the air. Oda using this chapter has quite of lot of these questions answered. I believe after reading this chapter all the parts before luffy and his flying are the aftermath just after kuma did what he did. Well duvals crew members are all on the ship and occupying it knowing that it could easily fall into enemies hands. The ships looking as good as ever and I have to say I think it’s a bit too big for a crew of 9/10. I have mentioned on this fourm and on others that I believe with the splitting up of the crew like this, on their way back each crew member may pick up a member or 2 to help travel back. Well that was my theory from last week and I’ll talk about that in more detail later.

While duval’s crew is keeping the ship safe it’s great to hear that the marines haven’t tried to cover up what happened with kuma and say the strawhats were disposed off. It also confirms that kuma’s decision has been more beneficial to the crew than it was to the marines the nobles reactions to the news that the crew still haven’t been caught is what makes it more funny, after just one punch and getting sat on they are still out cold hahaha.

The wave of change

Shakky’s message is by far the most interesting in this chapter, its so ambiguous, we know that the crew as a whole need to get stronger, but not just individual, like the top 3 get powered up while the rest stay relatively similar, they need to get stronger as a crew and as I’ve always thought a crew of 10 wouldn’t be useful to their cause especially with a new larger ship like their own.

Lately the crew have come across enemies of high strength in high numbers, it all started with the ennies lobby’s buster call, if it wasn’t for the merry go, do you think the crew of 7 without luffy could defeat 9 ships and 5 vice admirals, then to tb, far more subtle but it was 3 main fighters, odz, moria, and kuma. If they attacked all at the same time could the crew manage, no? Now we got this arc and the crew is yet faced with people of high power and strength but this time we had the px bots with the real kuma, vegapunks bodyguard and kizaru. Take luffy, Zoro, and sanji out of the equation and we see that without these 3 the crew would be completely helpless without them taking out the higher stronger people, they couldn’t take on a px bot without the top 3. Maybe its time for a new person to join the top 3 of the crew in strength, but more than that maybe its time for the crew to gain a better boost in crew numbers than they have been getting lately and I seriously believe this splitting of the crew was that with them coming back they all need a bit of help, Zoro needs a navigator of some sort as well as someone who has a boat, luffy is the same, nami would only need a person with a boat and maybe another to guard her through the scary sea, same with ussop, what I’m trying to say is, I think oda split the crew up like this to boost the crews numbers by at the very least 9 more, with each crew member finding a friend on their travels back. With a bigger crew they can ride the upcoming wave smoothly. Well that’s my hope, another power up on their travels back is also very likely especially if the marines are waiting for their return. Also i do knpw luffy said 10 at the begining but Oda may have changed his mind, plus its a quick way to do itwithout adding more members on their travels throughout the second half of the grandline, after this quick boost of members we will be seeing a different story.

That’s something I wanna try

Luffy sleeping while flying was just so funny; in fact his whole flying session was completely hilarious. Imagine hearing a guy shouting in the sky while you were on your ship in the wild grandline. But it confirms what sentoumaru was saying and that kuma sends people flying for 3 days. It also now confirms that this crew have been sent in 9 different directions, and to get back, well I can’t imagine them all doing it alone.

Well with the landing it also shows us that kuma’s paw paw fruit does give a sort of softer landing that you could imagine, seems like the paw weakens the fall by quite a bit and the landing is more like jumping into the air and landing or being thrown into the air and landing, thus not making it an instant kill when landing. Good news for our other crew members without rubber bodies.

Everyone can return when you have a piece of paper in hand

Well with this information is now confirmed that everyone will get back, but how is the thing. Luffy along with Zoro and others will end up having this sort of problem when using the cards and hit dead ends, but as I said earlier don’t be surprised if we get multiple crew members joining the strawhats.

What truly makes this chapter serious even with its comedy like luffy running from a giant wild boar, is the fact that he’s still haunted by his failure in SA, and as I thought when nami called out to Luffy that plagued his mind even more than anything else. Luffy don’t give up.

Well after his flashback and his failed attempt to break through the mountain luffy turns round and eats his wild boar attacker. I like how luffy isn’t brooding over his loss, constantly reverting back to his old self within seconds, but eating anything in front of him was one of luffy’s worse habits, well the good thing is it seems like luffy foolishness may have granted him with the appearance of his new crew members.

Margret

Well with luffy seemingly dying from his infestation of mushrooms he’s found by the residence of this weird strange island. Margret is one of many women on this island but the focus oda pulls on characters of importance is undeniable and the focus was on her. With the snake surrounding her body and her cape not forgetting the arrows she seems to be carrying around well I assume she’s a bow-women, ussop calling himself the sniper king it be nice to see the parralels between the two, it reminds me of brookes and I’m unsure if this was intentionally but Oda seems to be adding crew members with similar skills as previous ones but opposite personalities. I saw simularities within franky and Luffy, and then we get brookes and Zoro. Maybe this girl is the anti version of ussop, stronger, braver and maybe more skilled with the more deadly weapon.

Well after seeing some more women on this island it seems like they all have these weird snakes covering their bodies, what these snakes are used for or symbolise is anyone’s guess but maybe it’s a warrior thing. Funny how they coldly set luffy alight, is that how they treat children of their village after removing all the mushrooms, even though it’s the only way it’s kind of cold. But they make up for it with a nice bath. Heheheh

What Sanji would do to be in Luffy’s position right now

Now who wouldn’t want to get their bits pulled pulled on a island full of only naked and half naked women a yet another dream sanji has lost, first the invisible man now the island of women, unlucky sanji, I’m sure Oda won’t be putting you on an island just full of men. Yet more comedy in this chapter after the last run of serious chapters, funny, very funny and perverted Oda.

The end

Well after a landing on an island 3 days travel away from SA luffy has found himself in what seems to be a deadly situation. Margret reaction to him being a man is extremely funny especially when we have her blushing too. This Warrior women island seems to have something against men on this island, but how they are born without men around I’ll never know. Luffy you need to wake up before they do something to you, and it may not be another bath.

Well I have to admit this chapter wasn’t what I was expecting, but I was already prepared for the idea of mini arcs for each crew member as well as the focus sticking with the crew, I like Oda reverting back to the comedy of one piece and keeping this chapter quite light.

My prediction
    I believe each crew member will get about 2/3 chapters on each of their islands and leave, I think they will try to kick luffy off next chapter and Margret will defend luffy after hearing his story and maybe be expelled of the island too maybe with the bigger girl who was giving luffy the special bath.

Where each crew member is I have no clue but I wouldn’t be surprised if sanji’s on a man only island.

Also as I predicted last week I still think that each crew member will bring along one more maybe two new people to join the crew thus when arriving on SA the crew will have a 18 strong crew maybe more

i do hope that Zoro still gets his needed personal character development

Chapter Rating a nice 8 out of 10
    Not too busy but with a fast pace, as long as he shows the other crew members off I’ll be pleased

Well that’s it, sorry that I didn’t review last weeks chapter to, hope you enjoyed this review.
    Last edited by neomaster121; September 16, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neo's One piece 514 Review

What are your thoughts on the fact that the engraving on the last page means 'Nine Snakes'?

Perhaps some sort of 'snake curse' of sorts? Kinda similar to that arc in Fairy Tale where they had to get rid of the sun curse in the village..?

And I believe the crew are close by. I don't believe a larger crew is the way to go though.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxe View Post
    What are your thoughts on the fact that the engraving on the last page means 'Nine Snakes'?

Perhaps some sort of 'snake curse' of sorts? Kinda similar to that arc in Fairy Tale where they had to get rid of the sun curse in the village..?

And I believe the crew are close by. I don't believe a larger crew is the way to go though.
    lets say SA is the center of a circle
    the crew are all positioned on a 3 day radius from SA some maybe close to one another but if its on 9 different islands it would take longer for the crew members to find each other than it would just to head straight to SA so i don't think some may meet up before the reach SA

ah thanks for the translation on that engraving on the island

well there could be a curse, or something else
    well my first thoughts as i was going to mention but didn't fully explain, was that the women may worship these snakes or have them at guardians, i also thought that to gain these snakes they could be only women and that there's a sort of quest a women goes on to gain fully warrior status on the island.

It maybe a test they make luffy goes through, thinking it would deffinitly cause luffy to die since he's a man
    it could make luffy stronger in a new way other than gears who knows, also why that women knows he's a man maybe explained later on

but if this was the case Oda maybe making these mini arcs longer than i thought

9 snakes maybe 9 snake paths of a warrior's will or something like that i think thats what the engraving means and it would fit nicely with my idea above of a training quest the women on the island may go through to become a fully pledged warrior

but Oda is a man who doesn't seem to rush this manga and it maybe that these 9 snakes symbol may have more of an affect on the story with luffy than i originally thought and i think gold rodger may have landed on this island espically if that old lady knows that luffys a man when they have suposedly never seen one

i accept a larger crew may not be the awnser but its more practical plus the ship is far larger than a crew of 10 and i think Oda planned to increase the crews number more than he originally wanted when he created the sunny go ship and it would reduce a lot of issues the crew has now adays allowing for sanji Zoro and Luffy to focus on the main true enemies without tiring themselfs on weaker yet strong enemies, but thats my opinion on things for now and Oda can do anything with the story right now ^__^

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing good that can come from a crew larger than 10. sure it may be more practical in real life, but I feel that if oda made a crew of 18 or whatnot, none of the characters would really get the development that they deserve, and none of the fights would be nearly as good. In addition having to come up with 9 more (relatively) unique fighting styles and personalities in such few chapters wouldn't be easy, and would make them seem like cheap knockoffs of other characters we've seen, especially since he just did that with the supernova. plus we would lose a lot of the crew interaction that we have now as 9 more characters would need to be fit in, which just makes them seem like they don't belong. Although this might have just been in the anime (I don't remember), luffy also had the chance to get a larger crew form the Davy Back fight, but he gave them all back to foxy.

In short, while 1 crew member form this arc is realistic, any more than that and it just seems cramped and rushed, and frankly, I expect more form oda than "oh, well the strawhats are weak, might as well shove crew members at them instead of actually trying to make them stronger or give them development"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Rock Lobster's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been of my opinion for a while now that Luffy should get an actual large crew, even Gold Roger had a large crew, not one of just 10-15 people. Although, it wouldn't really bother me if they stayed a small crew I think it would be more realistic if Luffy gained a large crew of dreamers and wierdos entering the New World. The current members could be the stronger ones and have a larger standing, and also be the only ones with boss fights, while the smaller and weaker members could take down the weaker enemies so that the main members wouldn't be tired or hurt when they fight their enemies, this could be helpful when in large battle.
    Also, good review Neo.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    I see nothing good that can come from a crew larger than 10. sure it may be more practical in real life, but I feel that if oda made a crew of 18 or whatnot, none of the characters would really get the development that they deserve, and none of the fights would be nearly as good. In addition having to come up with 9 more (relatively) unique fighting styles and personalities in such few chapters wouldn't be easy, and would make them seem like cheap knockoffs of other characters we've seen, especially since he just did that with the supernova. plus we would lose a lot of the crew interaction that we have now as 9 more characters would need to be fit in, which just makes them seem like they don't belong. Although this might have just been in the anime (I don't remember), luffy also had the chance to get a larger crew form the Davy Back fight, but he gave them all back to foxy.

In short, while 1 crew member form this arc is realistic, any more than that and it just seems cramped and rushed, and frankly, I expect more form oda than "oh, well the strawhats are weak, might as well shove crew members at them instead of actually trying to make them stronger or give them development"
    valid point and i do accept IF Oda added the crew members it could mean less development but i do have to say after a flashback or 2 Oda tends to leave the later characters development aside, but i don't think Oda's rushing this story and i'm sure ever since he designed the sunny go he knew then if he was going to add more members or not

but its half way now and unless you think luffy Zoro and sanji can jump to the power lvls of Rayleigh and Kizaru by the time they reach SA again

can robin franky and brookes boost themselves up to nightmere luffy strength in the 3days

can ussop nami and chopper reach luffy zoro and sanji's curreent strength in thse 3 days

to me increasing the crew members and moving to group battles while leaving the top 3 maybe ussop to fight one on ones

cause the days of 10 one on one battles are ending
    tb only zoro sanji n luffy and ussop had one on one battles
    the rest of the crew plus the 4 had group battles soon after with odz now imagine the crew without zoro sanji n luffy could beat odz due to a few more extra and stronger members then Zoro and Sanji may have been far less helpless and tired against Kuma luffy may have stayed awake
    thus proving the direction of battles Oda is moving to and an increase in crew numbers won't diminish anything

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
    Its been of my opinion for a while now that Luffy should get an actual large crew, even Gold Roger had a large crew, not one of just 10-15 people. Although, it wouldn't really bother me if they stayed a small crew I think it would be more realistic if Luffy gained a large crew of dreamers and wierdos entering the New World. The current members could be the stronger ones and have a larger standing, and also be the only ones with boss fights, while the smaller and weaker members could take down the weaker enemies so that the main members wouldn't be tired or hurt when they fight their enemies, this could be helpful when in large battle.
    Also, good review Neo.
    Well yea a crew like that would be interesting we don't nessarrily need every crew member named developed much once they have joined and most of the bigger crews like wb have thousands of men but i think these last few arcs are showing gaps and these are either filled practically with a larger crew and a small power up with will become expanded upon later or through some super power up from the top 3 which stops them getting tired

good that you enjoyed the review

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neomaster121 View Post
    valid point and i do accept IF Oda added the crew members it could mean less development but i do have to say after a flashback or 2 Oda tends to leave the later characters development aside, but i don't think Oda's rushing this story and i'm sure ever since he designed the sunny go he knew then if he was going to add more members or not

but its half way now and unless you think luffy Zoro and sanji can jump to the power lvls of Rayleigh and Kizaru by the time they reach SA again

can robin franky and brookes boost themselves up to nightmere luffy strength in the 3days

can ussop nami and chopper reach luffy zoro and sanji's curreent strength in thse 3 days

to me increasing the crew members and moving to group battles while leaving the top 3 maybe ussop to fight one on ones

cause the days of 10 one on one battles are ending
    tb only zoro sanji n luffy and ussop had one on one battles
    the rest of the crew plus the 4 had group battles soon after with odz now imagine the crew without zoro sanji n luffy could beat odz due to a few more extra and stronger members then Zoro and Sanji may have been far less helpless and tired against Kuma luffy may have stayed awake
    thus proving the direction of battles Oda is moving to and an increase in crew numbers won't diminish anything
    except that the characters are being constantly developed, their development doesn't stop as soon as they join. Great examples of this are Nami who had massive amounts of development after arlong, Robin wiht the cp9, usopp with the fight over the merry-go and sogeking, chopper with his confronation with hogback, zoro vs. kuma and even luffy last chapter. And those are just the the ones off the top of my head, I could probably go through and find hundreds more if I really tried

and while the crew does need to get stronger to face the new world, they don't need a hyberolic time chamber-esque leap in strength in three days, especially since we don't know how long it will take them to get back to shabondy, and once they do get there all of the excitement will have died down and I doubt they would have to fight immediately after arriving.

Also, they all (with the somewhat exception of robin who I'm sure has it anyway) have 1 on 1 combat experience. Just because luffy zoro and sanji have the most is no reason to discount the others.

yes, only 4 of them had 1 on 1 battles in TB, but only 4 of them had 1 on 1 battles in skypeia, and only 1 of them had a 1 on 1 fight in the davy back fight, I fail to see how the number of battles in past arcs affects how many there are in the future.

And having more crew members of apporximately brooks strength wouldn't have really helped, especially since IIRC brook pulled off one move (the thunder combo with nami) and then got ko'd. Would it have made the battle easier? maybe, maybe not but is it really worth diluting everyone else's development just to have a bigger crew? I think not big casts of protagonists aren't that great, just look at bleach, it has a massive cast but only 9 or 10 of them ever really do anything, while the rest are just...there.
    Last edited by shoe; September 13, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Yabe's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

@shoe: (as I am one agreeing with Neo's theories) You brought up all good points, and I believe too that a small group of members with distinct characteristics and developments are more pleasant than many but all minor-minor roles - but Oda might have his way in making it much better than the others (it's not that I'm praising Oda with no cause either because back in EL arc where Luffy had Polly & Co., The Franky brothers and more giants joined fighting with him, I thought that was pretty cool and at least I didn't feel those supported minor characters gave a real bad impression at all).

Moreover, if we considered that Oda would give this current new-adventure arc for the major SHs to get their characters developed, I think it could be the last time that we'll see them obvious as their next step is still the NW (the last part of the sea) the SHs should be ready more than now and might not need much developments as they've been received before reaching the place I think.
    Last edited by Yabe; September 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MAX_COLA_POWER!'s Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first saw the raw pic of CP9 looking at that tower, I thought they were missing the lives they had back at Water 7, for Blueno, Kaku, Kalifa, Lucci and Hatori's case, and wanted to go back. It wouldn't surprise me if they indeed went back. Also, I think a crew of 11 should be enough, just to fill in with another girl and a Logia user (if there are any elements left to use besides Dragon's). So Margaret, if you're going to be a part of Luffy's crew, you need to have the following traits: a tragic past, an awesome power/skill/ability/strength (so she and the monster trio can become the monster quartet^^), a lifelong dream, a personal treasure, and in your case, some apocalyptic situation where Luffy and the gang risk everything to save you, since you're possibly gonna be the victim.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yabe View Post
    @shoe: (as I am one agreeing with Neo's theories) You brought up all good points, and I believe too that a small group of members with distinct characteristics and developments are more pleasant than many but all minor-minor roles - but Oda might have his way in making it much better than the others (it's not that I'm praising Oda with no cause either because back in EL arc where Luffy had Polly & Co., The Franky brothers and more giants joined fighting with him, I thought that was pretty cool and at least I didn't feel those supported minor characters gave a real bad impression at all).

Moreover, if we considered that Oda would give this current new-adventure arc for the major SHs to get their characters developed, I think it could be the last time that we'll see them obvious as their next step is still the NW (the last part of the sea) the SHs should be ready more than now and might not need much developments as they've been received before reaching the place I think.
    yes franky family and co. were cool for the one arc, but would you really want to see them in every single chapter, never doing anything significant but clearing out marine grunts? probably not, especially since what made them cool was that they were helping even though they had no real relation to the strawhats. I don't see how 9-10 new members would ever get the amount of screen time or development they deserved, and if they did then it would cut very deeply into any screen time and development for the current cast. It would start to turn one piece into another naruto or bleach, where even though there is a bunch of awesome characters, only a small amount of them get development or really do anything significant, and I for one don't feel that whatever perceived amount of realism adding 10+ permanent characters adds is worth giving most of them the "chad treatment" where all they end up being is measuring sticks for the stronger enemies or just mopping foot soldiers, time after time.

So assuming Oda does do this, on the one hand people will get angry at him for making the new members too prominent and overshadowing the more popular characters, or the new characters feel like a waste and people are still unhappy with him. either way it's lose/lose and even if he does somehow make some sort of balance between the new and old characters I don't see why he would go to all the trouble of making at least 9 (according to you) new characters, all with unique personalities and interesting fighting styles when he JUST did it with the supernovas.

I just can't see how getting a more realistic view is worth all the trouble and effort this would take.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yabe View Post

yea i have to admit thats how i feel about it and im sure that the new world won't be as much character development as we've seen so far and be more story development instead
    plus fishman island may also have a large last major development of character

Quote Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
    When I first saw the raw pic of CP9 looking at that tower, I thought they were missing the lives they had back at Water 7, for Blueno, Kaku, Kalifa, Lucci and Hatori's case, and wanted to go back. It wouldn't surprise me if they indeed went back. Also, I think a crew of 11 should be enough, just to fill in with another girl and a Logia user (if there are any elements left to use besides Dragon's). So Margaret, if you're going to be a part of Luffy's crew, you need to have the following traits: a tragic past, an awesome power/skill/ability/strength (so she and the monster trio can become the monster quartet^^), a lifelong dream, a personal treasure, and in your case, some apocalyptic situation where Luffy and the gang risk everything to save you, since you're possibly gonna be the victim.
    lol i've always wanted a logia in the crew but i just felt it would be bad as that logia would become the strongest person around and i also thought the crew may become to reliant on the logia member, i'm sure Oda will add in the tragic past, awsome powers skills and ability because i've always thought a women should be in the top 3, maybe being a warrior she maybe more attracted to Zoro hehehe

yes franky family and co. were cool for the one arc, but would you really want to see them in every single chapter, never doing anything significant but clearing out marine grunts? probably not, especially since what made them cool was that they were helping even though they had no real relation to the strawhats. I don't see how 9-10 new members would ever get the amount of screen time or development they deserved, and if they did then it would cut very deeply into any screen time and development for the current cast. It would start to turn one piece into another naruto or bleach, where even though there is a bunch of awesome characters, only a small amount of them get development or really do anything significant, and I for one don't feel that whatever perceived amount of realism adding 10+ permanent characters adds is worth giving most of them the "chad treatment" where all they end up being is measuring sticks for the stronger enemies or just mopping foot soldiers, time after time.

So assuming Oda does do this, on the one hand people will get angry at him for making the new members too prominent and overshadowing the more popular characters, or the new characters feel like a waste and people are still unhappy with him. either way it's lose/lose and even if he does somehow make some sort of balance between the new and old characters I don't see why he would go to all the trouble of making at least 9 (according to you) new characters, all with unique personalities and interesting fighting styles when he JUST did it with the supernovas.

I just can't see how getting a more realistic view is worth all the trouble and effort this would take.
    i understand what you mean about it maybe falling into the naruto trap, but with 9 members and still not falling into the naruto trap i'm sure Oda can handle a bit more, i myself think Oda could make a larger group of about 20 people without making it seem a bit too narutoish, there's 7 guys to 2 girls so maybe we'll see this number even up, lol i can imagine some comedy sanji could be involved in with so many more girls on the crew.

I do accept that a larger crew has drawbacks but i won't deny the good things about larger crews, more group development,
    partnering up amongst the weaker members
    members who may not fight but keep the crew and ship who do fight safe once they are tired
    more unique developments between 2 characters rather than all 9
    more realism in the story
    new stories
    alot more flexibility in the story thus making it more unpredictable

and much more but time will tell and if the other crew members seemingly meet new characters who we think have a good chance of joining it may confirm or disconfirm whether Oda's increasing the crew numbers or not

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member MAX_COLA_POWER!'s Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if Margaret falls for Zoro, Tashigi would get extremely jealous, though I don't know if she's more obsessed with Zoro or his swords. If Margaret falls for Luffy, it'd be such a huge improvement of Alvida falling for him because she's a crazy masochist, THE THOUGHT OF IT BURNS MY BRAIN!>.<. If Margaret falls for Sanji, highly doubt it, it would be fun to see the hopeless lover role be reversed and seeing how Sanji likes to get stalked^^. Also, seeing Nami kinda jealous would be funny^^.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neomaster121 View Post
    i understand what you mean about it maybe falling into the naruto trap, but with 9 members and still not falling into the naruto trap i'm sure Oda can handle a bit more, i myself think Oda could make a larger group of about 20 people without making it seem a bit too narutoish, there's 7 guys to 2 girls so maybe we'll see this number even up, lol i can imagine some comedy sanji could be involved in with so many more girls on the crew.
    while Oda may be different, Kishimoto generally only handles 6-9 characters at a time, and 2-3 of them are usually the same every time. I have a feeling that it would end up like this if 10 new characters are suddenly introduced.

Quote Quote:
    I do accept that a larger crew has drawbacks but i won't deny the good things about larger crews, more group development,
    partnering up amongst the weaker members
    members who may not fight but keep the crew and ship who do fight safe once they are tired
    more unique developments between 2 characters rather than all 9
    more realism in the story
    new stories
    alot more flexibility in the story thus making it more unpredictable
    1. we wouldn't need partnering up of the weaker characters (any more than what we have now) if they aren't there.
    2. which would be a complete waste of a character, why bother to introduce someone who never does anything but watch the ship? We might as well have the rosy life riders join so that they can do nothing and get no development in order to shuttle the SH's around and watch the ship.
    3. we can and do have development between 2 characters right now, an example being brook and zoro who have gotten to be good friends.
    4. we have islands in the sky, rivers going up mountains, domesticated whales, fishmen, people turning into all sorts of animals and various elements, people with two elbows, shells that can harness energy, giant cow-fish and snail phones and you want realism? better read another manga.
    5. stories that we would get anyway, without having to create or introduce 10 new permanent characters.
    6. OP is already super unpredictable now, if need be then oda can introduce more minor characters, like the franky family or shandorians to serve this purpose.

Quote Quote:
    and much more but time will tell and if the other crew members seemingly meet new characters who we think have a good chance of joining it may confirm or disconfirm whether Oda's increasing the crew numbers or not
    we don't know what oda will do. I seem to remember most people believed that paulie would join instead of franky, and I doubt anyone saw robin joining. whether we think someone will join or not has no bearing on what oda thinks.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

while Oda may be different, Kishimoto generally only handles 6-9 characters at a time, and 2-3 of them are usually the same every time. I have a feeling that it would end up like this if 10 new characters are suddenly introduced.

1. we wouldn't need partnering up of the weaker characters (any more than what we have now) if they aren't there.
    2. which would be a complete waste of a character, why bother to introduce someone who never does anything but watch the ship? We might as well have the rosy life riders join so that they can do nothing and get no development in order to shuttle the SH's around and watch the ship.
    3. we can and do have development between 2 characters right now, an example being brook and zoro who have gotten to be good friends.
    4. we have islands in the sky, rivers going up mountains, domesticated whales, fishmen, people turning into all sorts of animals and various elements, people with two elbows, shells that can harness energy, giant cow-fish and snail phones and you want realism? better read another manga.
    5. stories that we would get anyway, without having to create or introduce 10 new permanent characters.
    6. OP is already super unpredictable now, if need be then oda can introduce more minor characters, like the franky family or shandorians to serve this purpose.

we don't know what oda will do. I seem to remember most people believed that paulie would join instead of franky, and I doubt anyone saw robin joining. whether we think someone will join or not has no bearing on what oda thinks.
    well its true we don't know whats going to happen
    and when franky joined i thought it would be franky paulie and a few others joining at that time

and this crew could increase dramitically is just a theory of mine and i'm probably wrong but i don't mind discussing it when chances that this could happen

also another hint about maybe strawhats increasing from this split up well its minimal and its really up to interpretation but 1 of the SN said Zoro could even captain his own crew it could be a mini hint as a swordsmen hes picked up fame and maybe a few people he meet are willing to join him but obviously this could just be one of Oda's throw away comments to show how luffy must e a great captain

but if the crew didn't increase a lot i wouldn't be upset and i'll just accet the crew staying small

Be The Flame
    Not The Moth

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review.

But i have to fully agree with shoe. I always say the same things.

I like to know and love/hate each main character. If there are too many of them i can't grow accustomed to all of them so easy; i still have that problem with Brooke.

But you are right the crew needs to get stronger and that means they need to get stronger individually, because they already prooved that they can work together in a fight quite well.
    But there is no need to be at admiral level when you enter the new world. Not everyone there is such a monster. Lola and her crew managed to survive in the new world, at least for some time.

I'm also not so sure that Margaret will join the crew. She seems to be a perfect match, as she is unique in most aspects. Only one thing: in my opinion she looks awfully similar to Nami. After i took a short look at Margarets picture in the spoiler thread (i don't read spoiler btw., only the cover page), my first thought was: "Why is Nami so weirdly dressed?"

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast