Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are Nuri, one Oni boss and 1000 arms really the same species?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kozar927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are Nuri, one Oni boss and 1000 arms really the same species?

The Oni boss was weak. Kei Was able to kill it with one slice, and Reika did not do all that much damage to it. People seem to want to belive that their is more going on then their actully is. I think Gantz is deep, but people try to make it alot deeper the Oku is even thinking. lol. I doubt he wanted to make them the same species or w/e. Its just a coincidence, nothing more.
    I need a new sig. Someone make me one plz

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I doubt it, oni boss seemed too weak to me im convinced a h-gun blast woulda killed right there and then
    The way it died from one surprise hit from a Gantz sword made it look weak. But it really wasn't.

One X-gun blast blew Nuri apart, but the Oni boss absorbed about a dozen when he was pretending to be Kei before they started blowing chunks out of him, and he morphed into Takeshi. That's not weaker than Nuri. It's stronger.

It had strong acid like 1000 arms, while Nuri just had an acidic aura.

It had at least as much speed and strength as Nuri.

It could morph just as fast as Nuri; it changed from Kei to Takeshi in an instant, went from a fly to an elephant. It could pretty much change into whatever it wanted almost instantly.

It healed from the dozens of X-gun blasts in seconds, MUCH faster than Nuri. Nuri took a while to recover from just three X-gun hits from the heroin addict. It also took a while to recover from Katou's Y-gun and Oka's sword. The Oni boss recovered from everything that was thrown at it within seconds, right up till the end.

Nuri could have augmented his abilities, too. That would explain the thousands of ritual sacrifices that he melted before the heroin addict shot him.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

really all oni had an acidic aura, i wouldnt say his acid was stronger then nuris or the other oni's for that matter. My point was that nuri got compleltely turned to blood and still lived, he also got cut in half by hs' sword. Either one of these would have killed the oni "boss". Also all of the oni could tell where the hunters were it was on there cellphones, not any more of an ability they kyo's laptop.

The only way we can judge regen speeds is by panels, which isnt as accurate as we'd like unfortunantly. Nuri took awhile to recover from oka's sword but he did recover from it, the same way he recovered from nuri's h-gun blast if he had done the same thing against the oni boss and even if the oni boss' arms and legs were left he woulda died from it. He's regen worked, but only if the blow isnt strong enough to kill him, yes he was blasted by alota x guns but the giant buddha coulda survived those. If you wanna organize it by class kannon would have grade 1, which is purely based off a mechanical suit that was replicated to have grade 2 powers. Grade 2 would be oni boss, which can regenerate but only if the blow isnt immediately fatal. Then grade 3 would be nuri regen, he was able to regen even after getting his head cut off by oka, and even getting splattered by the h-gun

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MissingLimb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kozar927 View Post
    In my opinion their just isnt enough facts and evidence to support the "kill steal prevention" theory
    There definitely isn't any kill stealing prevention. If there was Kurono would've got his points for the lightning oni boss, not Izumi. Also, remember the first mission with the onion? Kurono almost killed him, but Nishi still got the points.

On the aliens being the same species:
    I don't even think they're aliens.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i still think the elephant oni still lacked any real offensive ability to be up there with lightning or nuri.
    he has only melee type offense, he was fast but his speed wasnt as fast as lightning guy. the lighting guy obliterated all those soldiers in a split second, read chapter 207.

he was able to rip through 15 or so soldiers in a split second, and it wasn't like they were all in 1 spot, the pic shows all the cops are scattered to his left, right, and in front of him.
    Kill the left side, 90degree sharp turn without losing any speed to kill the rest, much faster than the elephant oni imo.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We're trying to figure out whether the shapeshifting Oni was like Nuri, not whether he was like the elemental Onis; neither the shapeshifting Oni nor Nuri had any of their powers. Lightning was hella fast. But Nuri wasn't. He was fairly fast as the little man, but not any faster than the Oni boss that Reika fought. Look back thru the whole mission; you'll see that Nuri didn't do anything that showed anything more than normal acrobatics and speed.

Nuri's lasers were powerful, but they were more of a desperation ploy than an attack of choice. They did a lot more damage to his allies than the Gantz members. They evidently used a lot of power and he might not have been able to see or even think when he was using them. Remember how long it took his head to come back to life and turn them off?

We only have Nuri's own word and a highly suspicious torso of Oka as proof that he was fighting and not taking a breather when he left the fight suddenly. Look closely at his hands when he lands; it's at least as likely that he just shape-shifted to make the torso as it is that it was really Oka. Notice that BOTH hands are empty when he lands. Look very, very closely. You can see the index fingers of BOTH hands. Neither index finger is closed like the hand was holding anything. When Katou turns around, presto changeo! Instant Oka torso in his right hand.

The thing that made Nuri seem so powerful was that he was able to withstand being flattened by the H-gun. But he's a natural shapeshifter. That means that his real form is probably something close to jelly or a liquid to start with. Notice how the shapeshifting Oni was a copy of Kei; he turned into a copy of Takeshi within one step; he jumped into the rookie Gantzer and turned into liquid and got himself swallowed before anybody could grab him. A weapon that uses something like increased gravity to crush solids works great against most aliens. But against something that's already a liquid? It's about like trying to crush water. Totally useless. It doesn't look like the H-guns are going to be the least bit effective against that type of alien.

On the other hand, the first time that Nuri lost his head, it took him several minutes before he could even move. He had left the "lights" on, so Nerdo killed dozens of his own minions before he could shut them off. Beheading is very effective against them. Oka split his head in half and it took a while to regenerate. HS cut its head in half and it couldn't regenerate from multiple H-gun hits after that. He evidently has some sort of nerve center; Oka saw it from his gorilla suit and aimed at it. It looks like that's a good strategy; Kei looked for a nerve center in the dino boss.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the h-gun isnt as strong as its cracked up to be
    tengu looked like he fought it off enough not to get squished that time and then to grab the osaskin.

also doesn't it seem weird that even tho he saw it revive in front of him so many times, that when he killed it with a sword, he knew it was dead? "dont care care much ur worth, u aint getting up from that fleabag"

the osakins know of hidden properties the sword has that we dont?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The H-gun, like the bike, sword and mecha, are all situational weapons. Think of an army; all the soldiers are given a pistol, a rifle, and some basic body armor. Those items will be useful in almost any battle situation. They don't automatically get a heavy machine gun, rocket launcher and tank. Those aren't useful in most battles, but they are vitally necessary in certain situations. When they are used, the veterans get to use them; it would be stupid to put a rookie in charge of the tank corps.

The swords aren't anything to laugh at. They are pretty potent weapons. They can slice through alien armor, extend to cut a subway car in half, and one hit from a Gantz sword took out the Oni boss that could withstand 4 X-guns being fired into it repeatedly. They may be a lot higher level reward than we think. Just because there were 5 of them in the armory room and no H-guns doesn't mean that they are low-level weapons. The veterans could have taken all of the H-guns with them on the mission that they died in. Also notice that the Osakan veterans George and Kuwabara said they were going to go straight to the swords when facing the 100 pointer Nuri; that seemed to imply that the swords were a higher-level reward than the H-guns, or that they knew from experience that the H-guns weren't very useful against that particular type of alien. The swords do seem to prevent the aliens from reviving most of the time. Nuri did revive after Oka hit him with one, though. But he did recover very slowly.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

when george said "dont care how much ur worth, u aint getting up from that fleabag" im sure he was fighting the fox not nuri and he had just cut its head off with the sword. The h-gun can be used in more then one way, it can cut off arms and such pretty easily kind of the effect of the sword just stronger. You just have to apply the gravity affect to seperate parts of the body
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/269/15/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/252/13/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member staytough's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You are talking like the morphing dude was the oni boss, but the real boss was the lightning guy!

http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/193/15/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/193/16/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/193/19/
    He talks like a real leader

http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/206/01/
    they show vamps who call one of the vamps and tell him that the morphing oni, fire oni and rock oni have been killed (the leaders of the foot soldiers not the leader of them all!)

http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/206/02-03/
    now we see the vamps and the boss (who is called 'the strongest alien in the history of gantz' pre nuri) who is pissed because all his underlings were killed

http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/206/04/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/206/05/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/206/06/
    HS doesnt talk to him or about him like he is the underling of the morphing dude! He talks about him like he is the Leader of all the aliens (at least all the aliens HS knows about)

The Lighning guy stands around like a real leader and waits till all of his underbosses and underlings are killed of so he can appear in a dramatic kind of way and overwhelm the team like a real badass leader should.

My theory is that the lightning boss was one of the strongest aliens in the history of the tokyo's gantz but can't compare to other bosses of other gantzes

btw what's the right plural of Gantz?
    Maybe every gantz has another name? Maybe Gantz is just the name for the tokyo guy in the black ball and the osaka guy has a totaly different name?

and about reikas points... ever thought about Oku making a mistake?? It's not like this would be his first one, do I have to remember you guys about butter dog's death? Kurono getting his sword from nowhere to kill the morphing dude? HS cut off tie? HS never ending cigarette, anyone?
    Last edited by staytough; September 19, 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

he does o.o. Gantz is the name of the tokyo ball, also george wasnt saying that the morhping oni is stronger then the lightning. He was saying that he was the original target for that mission and then since the vamps and such became involved the mission changed.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
    he does o.o. Gantz is the name of the tokyo ball, also george wasnt saying that the morhping oni is stronger then the lightning. He was saying that he was the original target for that mission and then since the vamps and such became involved the mission changed.
    I know that he wasn't saying that the morphing oni is the toughest.
    But he seems to think that he was the leader of all the onis aliens in this mission but the lighting guy was clearly the leader.

I think (and thats just my theory, anyway) the lighting Dude was the target from the begining and the changes in gantz are just realy slowly

The changes:
    1. He shows the real Target (in the beginning of the oni and nuri mission... or was nuri not the main target??)
    2. The radar device doesn't seem to work anymore (while they fight the morphing, fire and rock onis)
    3. The timer stops and the public can see them (when they face the oni)
    4. The area is getting smaller (Osaka Mission)

I think the changes don't have anything to do with the missions (or target changes in the missions) but with the approaching of Katastrophe.

p.s. I hope i don't sound too offensiv/aggressiv whatever... i'm just sleepy.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

just outa curiosity did you read the posts before yours? cuz alot of changes were listed already. The timer did dissapear right after the morphing oni died tho, also the title does say one oni boss.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
    just outa curiosity did you read the posts before yours? cuz alot of changes were listed already. The timer did dissapear right after the morphing oni died tho, also the title does say one oni boss.
    Yes I read the posts before mine but like I already wrote, I don't think that the changes in gantz have anything to do with the morphing oni and maybe even with the oni boss (who is imo the lightining guy).
    I think it is a change because of the coming catastrophe.
    But then again you can prove me wrong if you want/can.

-----

And back to the main topic, wether or not the oni and nuri are the same species.

IMO saying that the morphing alien who was an underling is the same species as nuri is kind of ridicioulous.
    Nuris powers were much much stronger than morphing onis powers could ever be. Goddamn nuri survived being pulverized by Nishi (what was a surprise attack... but he survived even so), while the morphing guy died because his head was cut off.

I don't think that there are special species in gantz, there are only different classes. The leaders (Oni, Nuri), The underbosses (Rock-,Fire-,Morph Oni, Tengu, Kitsune), The Footsoldiers (who seem inteligent), and then there are other inteligent aliens (chibi, speaking dino, 1000-Arms) and the seemingly dumb ones (onion, tanaka, Buddhas)
    And it seems like there are aliens who are fighters (Onis, Tengu, Kitsune, Vamps) and some who just want to live in peace (Onion, Tanaka, Chibi, Dinos).

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that there is some hole back story on the aliens. If they do come from a different planet, I assume that each invaders had treaties with others.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast