Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 125 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2003

Thread: Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan)

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan)

You actually did base your argument on TOC position here, comparing Arata to series with similar TOC position. We have discussed how adaptions work before: the production company decides what to license. They do not necessarily base what they license on magazine circulation or volume sales, and certainly not on TOC position. Do I have to post more examples of obscure manga adapted to drama or anime, or were you satisfied with my last list?

BTW: Wild Life was scheduled to be adapted to drama in 2008. Production was canceled when two giraffes died during production.

Watase Yuu has released over 80 volumes of manga in her career, she is one of the most successful shoujo mangaka of all time. Your post here is incorrect. Since Ceres she has serialized Alice 19th and Absolute Boyfriend, both popular manga. She otherwise only serialized short, historical shoujo manga. Absolute Boyfriend was her last major manga before Arata. It was adapted to drama in 2008, as serialization of Arata was beginning.

Bold position, comparing Yuu Watase to one of the most famous mangaka in manga history! Are you also going to tell me there are mangaka less famous than Adachi? Way to go out on a limb.

Now, I repeat my question: other than TOC position and your own misconceptions about an author you clearly no little about, what do you base your prediction on? And what of the fact that very little from Sunday has been licensed for anime or drama since Zettai Karen Children in 2008? Could that possibly be the issue, not the popularity of individual titles. We can firmly establish that popularity plays little role in earning an anime or drama adaption, so that argument must be disregarded.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Series like Wild Life, Aoizaka Koukou, Saijou no Meii (well, this one got drama), King Golf, Mixim 11, Gekko Jorei, etc. didn't got an anime and there were kind of same state as Arata (or some of them are more popular than Arata). When I'm seeing these list, I don't think there are much chance for Arata to get an anime unless it'll somehow increase its popularity (but, I dont think it'll happen because I believe Arata hasn't gotten any color page for long time now; so, I think it is most like that the Sunday editors aren't pushing this series).
    I'm not sure whether Watase's name value is strong as before. There aren't much well known series after Ayashi no Ceres (I know one series did got a drama); so, I doubt that her name value is strong as Takahashi Rumiko.
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 04, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Negative Syndicate

I wasn't meant for the ToC on the bold part. As I said, I was talking about overall popularity on my perspective (like sale figures, reaction from the online, etc.). Based from that, there are quite number of series which is in similar state as Arata and they didn't get anime at the end.

Also, what is suppose your point on the bolded part for Watase's statement?
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 04, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a business, not a popularity contest.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

You asked (in the post I deleted) when you compared Takahashi to Watase. I bolded it for you.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I know full well what you were talking about, and I know full well that you were arguing that certain series were not adapted based on popularity. In reality nothing new from Sunday has been adapted to drama or anime. In four years only Saijo no Meii and maybe Magi. Considering Shogakukan makes money when manga are licensed for adaption, it would be illogical to assume they are not pushing for their manga to be licensed. From all indications Japanese anime and drama producers really don't like Sunday.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; June 05, 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    This is a business, not a popularity contest.
    High popularity means good for business.

You asked (in the post I deleted) when you compared Takahashi to Watase. I bolded it for you.
    Even if you don't like on comparing mangakas, but that may happen. The name value may affect some series to get animated. Also, as I said before, you don't have to be so sarcastic about it.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; June 05, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Negative Syndicate

Don not ever talk down to me again. You got it? I know full well what you were talking about, and I know full well that you were arguing that certain series were not adapted based on popularity. Don't bullshit me. In reality nothing new from Sunday has been adapted to drama or anime. In four years only Saijo no Meii and maybe Magi. Considering Shogakukan makes money when manga are licensed for adaption, it would be illogical to assume they are not pushing for their manga to be licensed. From all indications Japanese anime and drama producers really don't like Sunday.
    I didn't say anything to talk down to you. You are first one who look down at me as I was talking about ToC. If I did want to talk about ToC, then I would have wrote as ToC. But, I was trying to meant for overall popularity on my perspective, so I didn't write anything about ToC.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; June 05, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

High popularity means good for business.
    Please explain all the manga that don't sell a lot of volumes or are not in high circulation magazines that have been adapted to anime, movie, or drama? Explain Tokyo Zombie, a one volume manga, from an avante garde magazine (AX), adapted into a movie and given theatrical release in North America? What about Sakuran and Solanin? How about Noramimi, Rideback, and House of Five Leaves from IKKI? What about Kimi to Boku, it's second season premiered last Spring? Sankarea does not sell much better than the Sunday titles you mentioned, why does it have an anime and they don't? Sakamichi no Apollan was not a big seller, yet the director of Cowboy Bebop is directing the high profile anime. Joromugand has an anime, it isn't that popular. A Natsuyuki Rendezvous has an anime coming this summer, it is not a bestseller. I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on with anime based on manga that were not hits. Obviously the more popular the manga the more likely it is to be adapted. But despite yout assertions this is not a popularity contest, it's a business. It should be obvious that popularity is not a requirement for getting an adaption, it just makes it a little easier. Or was King of Thorns a lot more popular than I thought when it was made into a movie?

Quote Quote:
    Even if you don't like on comparing mangakas, but that may happen. The name value may affect some series to get animated. Also, as I said before, you don't have to be so sarcastic about it.
    When was I sarcastic? I praised your bold comparison between Watase Yuu and one of the most famous mangaka ever.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus fucking Christ. I ask a simple question and it ends like this? One guy leaving MH, and a bunch of mangaka getting their names dropped when they only at best have passing relations to Shounen Sunday? I just want the mag to be a bit more successful since I personally prefer it over WSJ, and while I don't agree with what a certain party is saying about popularity and the timing of animation, I appreciate their time to read and respond with their OPINION. Last I checked, opinions are what keep a forum from being a dead site about absolutely nothing. I also appreciate other parties coming in with their knowledge of the industry and backing said knowledge up with facts and experience, but dude this is spinning out of control. Simply put, things don't get animated simply 'cause they're popular. As I mentioned Ueki got an anime, and it really only got popular AFTER it was animated. At the same time, Sunday seems to have a window for animating things which is another fact that can't be denied. Will Arata get an anime? Maybe? Maybe not. I don't really care since It's not exactly a series I love anyway. Lets just back up, calm down, and remember this is a thread for SHOUNEN SUNDAY, and not the Negative VS Kaiten sunday night bout.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

As for this:

Quote Quote:

Kaiten wrote:

Please explain all the manga that don't sell a lot of volumes or are not in high circulation magazines that have been adapted to anime, movie, or drama? Explain Tokyo Zombie, a one volume manga, from an avante garde magazine (AX), adapted into a movie and given theatrical release in North America? What about Sakuran and Solanin? How about Noramimi, Rideback, and House of Five Leaves from IKKI? What about Kimi to Boku, it's second season premiered last Spring? Sankarea does not sell much better than the Sunday titles you mentioned, why does it have an anime and they don't? Sakamichi no Apollan was not a big seller, yet the director of Cowboy Bebop is directing the high profile anime. Joromugand has an anime, it isn't that popular. A Natsuyuki Rendezvous has an anime coming this summer, it is not a bestseller. I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on with anime based on manga that were not hits. Obviously the more popular the manga the more likely it is to be adapted. But despite yout assertions this is not a popularity contest, it's a business. It should be obvious that popularity is not a requirement for getting an adaption, it just makes it a little easier. Or was King of Thorns a lot more popular than I thought when it was made into a movie?
    I think you know the answer to this already..
    All of those weird, avant grande (SP?), niche demographic titles are made because... Well they are made for different demographics, a studio doesn't make a movie/drama/anime of a niche property hoping it will be the next mega-hit, maybe a decent return of investment.
    Or do they put all those niche adaptations at the most-popular time-slot competing against Shonen anime? Nope, they get them in Noitamina and that sort of slots.

So its not the same to make an anime adaptation based on a niche property, with its already loyal fan-base which will likely buy the DVDs/BDs, this isn't the same for a Shonen series since it will be judged "differently". I.e. a niche property will be judged like dunno, something more "intellectual" or more "weird". A battle shonen in the other hand will always be "a battle shonen" and will likely be compared against other battle shonens.

Now add to the fact that Sunday doesn't make niche titles, more like mainstream shonen manga which has lots of competition for gaining an anime adaptation, i.e. WSJ, WSM, SQ, etc.. That's why its rare to see a Sunday property getting adapted over properties from other magazines.

Having said all this and kinda off'topic but IMO is weird, weird, weird that Jojo hasn't been freaking adapted into an anime, the perfect mix of a established well known author (And series) that could be adapted without filler and is long enough and has an established fan-base that will support the anime and the merchandise :/ (I know this is WSS but still had to say it!)
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; June 05, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator message by: naruto-niichan
    This is my last and final warning, talking about Kaitens behaviour or the interactions between him and Negative is completely offtopic and no matter to discuss in a thread dedicated to a manga magazine. I deleted all the posts regarding this matter and any other post discussing it further will be dealt with accordingly.
    It's the third and last time I'm saying that this is a private matter and thus should be discussed privately through PM or other means. Anyone who still doesn't want to listen to it will be dealt with accordingly too.

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oberon's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    950 :メディアみっくす☆名無しさん:2012/06/10(日) 08:21:28.11 ID:???
    掲載順
    ハヤテ
    コナン
    マギ
    電波
    最スト
    りんね
    ケンイチ
    華っ柱
    ひめはじ
    蟲奉行
    おすもじ
    明医
    願婚
    子作り
    アナグル
    武勇伝
    なでしこ
    アラタ
    BE青
    絶チル
    MIX
    月光
    出雲
    エリアD
    ポケモン

951 :メディアみっくす☆名無しさん:2012/06/10(日) 08:27:12.36 ID:???
    29号予告
    表紙、巻頭 コナン
    コナンvs黒ずくめの流れが分かる特別記事を巻頭特集
    センターカラー 明医
    新シリーズ1話目! ちいさいひと 大増42ページ
    大増24ページ 正しいコドモの作り方
    Sunday #28 (13/06):
    Hayate no Gotoku
    Meitantei Conan
    Magi
    Denpa Kyoushi
    Saigo wa? Straight!!
    Kyoukai no Rinne
    Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi
    Koutetsu no Hanappashira
    Hime Hajike
    Joujuu Senjin!! Mushibugyo
    Osumoji! - Tsukasa no Ikkan
    Saijou no Meii
    Gan☆Kon
    Tadashii Kodomo no Tsukurikata!
    Anagle Mole
    Buyuden
    Nadeshiko no Kiseki - Kawasumi Nahomi Monogatari (End)
    Arata Kangatari
    Be Blues!
    Zettai Karen Children
    MIX (Special Chapter)
    Gekko Jorei
    Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou
    Area D - Inôryôiki
    Pokemon ReBurst
    Gin no Saji (Absent)
    Koakuma Ôden - Sen Kore! Sengoku Collection (Absent)
    Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (Absent till Issue #30)

#29:
    Cover & Lead CP: Conan
    CP: Saijou no Meii
    Chiisai Hito (Come Back, 42 pg.)
    Tadashii Kodomo no Tsukurikata! (24 pg.)

Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (Absent till Issue #30)

12. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anagle is officially back! Fukuchi wrote a note about it, but unless people want to see it I won't bother posting again. (It really doesn't say anything remarkable.)
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redon's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Monthly Shonen Sunday #08/2012 preview, there will be something about H2 (Adachi´s manga published in the Shonen Sunday years ago). Maybe a special chapter? I hope someone could confirm it ^^

http://gekkansunday.net/next.html

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dagnel's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

The special chapter of MIX in WSS #28 is actually the 1st chapter, not really a special chapter. :-/

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TemplateR's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji View Post
    Big news (And Cover and lead color) for Magi in Shônen Sunday #30 (27/06). No doubt Anime.

Yes, yes, yes. Magi Anime is coming !!!!!!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TemplateR View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. Magi Anime is coming !!!!!!
    my body is ready .
    edit: 27th wow thats the day before we should get LB info...that week will be one hell of a week for anime stuff.
    Last edited by OPN; June 15, 2012 at 06:06 AM.

Thread Closed
Page 125 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast