Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan)

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunday TOC Talkback

Most mangaka reuse character design to some degree. Adachi and Takahashi are notorious for leaving the characters virtually unchanged.

Heiji-sama

#45 :
    Darren Shan (Couv & Page Couleur)
    Detective Conan
    Kenichi
    Kekkaishi
    The World Only God Knows
    Maxim 11
    Major
    Hayate no Gotoku!
    Alata Kangatari
    Zettai Karen Children
    Saijô no Meii (Page Couleur)
    Golden Age
    Gamble
    Hyde & Closer
    Gekkô Jorei
    Ocha ni Gosu
    Aoizakura
    Acro (Page Couleur)
    Mitsuboshi
    King Golf
    Traumaister
    Onidere
    Maoh
    Obô
    Absent : Banchô

#46 :
    Alata Kangatari & Mixim 11 (Page Couleur)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heiji-sama View Post
    #45 :
    Darren Shan (Couv & Page Couleur)
    Detective Conan
    Kenichi
    Kekkaishi
    The World Only God Knows
    Maxim 11
    Major
    Hayate no Gotoku!
    Alata Kangatari
    Zettai Karen Children
    Saijô no Meii (Page Couleur)
    Golden Age
    Gamble
    Hyde & Closer
    Gekkô Jorei
    Ocha ni Gosu
    Aoizakura
    Acro (Page Couleur)
    Mitsuboshi
    King Golf
    Traumaister
    Onidere
    Maoh
    Obô
    Absent : Banchô

#46 :
    Alata Kangatari & Mixim 11 (Page Couleur)
    Well I guess the "big five" aren't so consistant after all: both KamiSekai and Mixim broke through (and a better week for ZKC as well), though a tad surprised that the two lower ones included Major, since I thought that was about as strong as Conan/Kekkaishi/Kenichi.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Hierarchy:

1. Conan

2. Hayate
    3. Kekkaishi
    4. Major

5. Kenichi

The gap between Conan and the rest of the magazine is pretty big. Hayate and Kekkaishi are the other two flagship series. Major fills a role similar to Hajime no Ippo and Kochikame; the untouchable, long running, still popular series. Major outsells Kochikame nowadays, but not Ippo. Kenichi is popular but not on the same tier as the others. Cross Game was lumped in with Kenichi. Sunday (and most magazines, as far as I know) does include a post card for fan polls, but the TOC does not reflect popularity. Placement is decided solely by the editors and I'm not sure as they disclose how they select where a series is placed. The only generalities are that Kekkaishi, Conan, Hayate, Kenichi, and Major are somewhere in the top ten.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Hyde really pulled a phoenix there! It normally straggles at the end of the magazine, but is now reaching a mid point! If it's really like Jump with an 8 week rule that would be around....chapter 23 or so....which wasn't a big deal in the story.....however Magicbulletgirl informs me that events in the series have really taken off lately. I hope that Asou-sensei will be given more time to develop an ongoing plot now that the series seems to be slowly moving away from the chopping block....
    Last edited by Bomber D Rufi; October 04, 2008 at 01:45 AM.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member magicbulletgirl's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A small fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Sunday Hierarchy:

1. Conan

2. Hayate = Kekkaishi = Major = Adachi

3. Kenichi
    Yes. Adachi is the only author who is named in place of his series. And I think he goes there because I know no other author who could say, "yeah my really popular series that only gets about 3-4 covers a year (Conan gets 2 or so; least number of covers for long running series = popularity) is going to be on haitus until Spring." Not a month named but just "Spring."
    Adachi is his own brand now, as well known as the various series he writes with not so different looking characters.
    So long as he's alive, he'll be there.
    For RAWs and Scanlations: Endless Youth and Co.
    http://conan-magic.com & http://community.livejournal.com/eync/

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the hierarchy mostly exists that way for many of the bigger names in Sunday: Adachi is one but I've noticed Takahashi, Anzai, Aoyama and in occasionally ones like Shiina, Nishimori or Fujita get more breaks compared to the newer, rawer mangaka. It's sort of harder to count some of the newer or "first series" mangaka though somehow I think that if they did finish their current series and start a new one, ones like Hata, Tanabe & Matsuena (and maybe those not currently in the magazine like Fukuchi and the possibly gone Raiku) could get it too.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I consistantly underrate Adachi.... Cross Game is a strong seller, every thing between Touch and Cross Game seems to have sold well, and Touch is an all time classic.

Sunday is built around veteran mangaka. Where Jump was once an upstart, talent starved magazine, Sunday and ShoMag could always rely on established, well known talent. Despite being much quicker to end new series, Jump remains more committed to young mangaka and more likely to bring back an artist after a shaky debut. Until a new mangaka's series is a certified hit, the artists who have been around since the '90's or earlier generally get editorial preference.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I consistantly underrate Adachi.... Cross Game is a strong seller, every thing between Touch and Cross Game seems to have sold well, and Touch is an all time classic.

Sunday is built around veteran mangaka. Where Jump was once an upstart, talent starved magazine, Sunday and ShoMag could always rely on established, well known talent. Despite being much quicker to end new series, Jump remains more committed to young mangaka and more likely to bring back an artist after a shaky debut. Until a new mangaka's series is a certified hit, the artists who have been around since the '90's or earlier generally get editorial preference.
    Well I have noticed it is a lot harder for new mangaka to emerge in Sunday compared to Jump, even with the protection they get. Looking at the last decade, the new ones who have emerged seemed to be big enough to really get notice to the point of getting anime and such. But still, they really have to stand out to get that sort of notice to get that far.

And speaking of newer mangaka, I still sort of wonder where Raiku will end up going after that whole fiasco between him and the Sunday editors. I really want to see whatever series he does next but something tells me that it either will be a seinen in Big Comic Spirits...or he'll just jump over to another magazine like Kumeta. (though it worked in his favor: he hated what they pulled to Katte ni Kaizo, he left, went to Magazine, started "Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei"...and the rest is history)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

With all that's going on I doubt Raiku will go to any Shogakukan magazine. I see Kodansha in his future. Sunday really dropped the ball on Kumeta, they could have had one of the best comedy mangas of the decade. At least they hung onto his assistant......

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

With all that's going on I doubt Raiku will go to any Shogakukan magazine. I see Kodansha in his future. Sunday really dropped the ball on Kumeta, they could have had one of the best comedy mangas of the decade. At least they hung onto his assistant......
    (Goes to Japanese Wiki) Never knew Hata worked under Kumeta. Then again, I really don't read Hayate so I never really figured it was that close to his works. (though I do want to read Zetsubo when it starts in the US)

Somehow I rather see Raiku in Jump due to how much Gash is like a Jump work than a Magazine work but...you're probably right. Jump chews up and spits out people compared to the more traditionalist Magazine. I would wonder though how the two think of one another as outcasts from their original home. (I know Kumeta has respect and probably friends with some of the Sunday mangaka since several of them did do pics for the Zetsubo anime)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd like Hayate, definitely give it a try. Hata has a great sense of humor and Hayate's a really fun read. It has very little in common with the (literally) gallows humor of SZS. I've read through volume 2 of that, if I can find a translator I'd start releasing volume 3. Raiku in Jump would be interesting, if he sticks with shonen that's really the only magazine I can picture him moving to. He's established enough that he may be able to have a nice run.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow Raiku in Jump would be great but I just don't know how long he'd last with it's obsessive competition. His style fits there but I sort of imagine him going to a place with less competition where he can thrive easier. (Magazine or maybe a monthly like Gangan or Jump SQ)

I'm a bit backlogged with manga to worry about Hayate right now (currently want to try and get back to reading JoJo among the other things I want to do) but I may give it a try. Somehow it does seem a bit too reliant on certain things for humor but it does have some sardonicness in it if Hata learned from Kumeta. (like mobsters who want to harvest the main character's organs...as if the humiliation of dressing as a catgirl isn't bad enough) Heck I may even want to read Katte ni Kaizo with the wacky things I've heard of that.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TwinAcres's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard there was a place to talk about Sunday and had to come check it out. ^_^

I agree somewhat with the hierarchy you guys are putting forth, but I'd lean more toward Magicbulletgirl's. That being said, I'm not sure Adachi is the only mangaka in the magazine that has that kind of sway. Takahashi can surely do it as well, and Aoyama took a fairly long break when he was going through his divorce from Minami Takeyama, right?

Gosho Aoyama, Mitsuru Adachi and Rumiko Takahashi (even though she's on vacation) can pretty much do whatever they want in the magazine for as long as they want. They're the ultimate top tier creators.

Shiina, Fujita, Nishimori, and Anzai I would be considered veterans because they've been there for so long and had success with numerous series.

But getting back to actual series, I would really recommend keeping an eye on TWGOK and Kango Bancho. I've heard TWGOK has had really good word of mouth in Japan, and Kongo Bancho's tankobon sales were pretty good.

Quote Quote:
    Despite being much quicker to end new series, Jump remains more committed to young mangaka and more likely to bring back an artist after a shaky debut.
    Fortunately for Sunday, Shonen Jump gave up on Nakaba Suzuki after Rising Impact and Ultra Red. Forutnately Sunday picked him up and even though Blizzard Axel wasn't a hit they kept him for Kongo Bancho.

Agree 100% about the loss of both Raiku AND Kumeta. Even Anzai let out a few harsh words about Sunday in his blog before he started Mixim. I don't see Raiku working for any Shogakukan publications again in the future unfortunately.

Quote Quote:
    I know Kumeta has respect and probably friends with some of the Sunday mangaka since several of them did do pics for the Zetsubo anime
    Yeah, he and Hata regularly reference one another in their respective series, and he's actually really good friends with Rumiko Takahashi.

Sorry this is so long, but I definitely have to pimp Magicbulletgirl's LJ community. We've gotten a lot of interesting SS topics going and have started posting up some old issues and previewing some old series from the magazine.
    Dylan & Harley Acres
    http://www.furinkan.com
    Webmasters - Rumic World

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about Takahashi, she's one of Shogakukan's top tier mangaka, not just Sunday's. I left her off as she is not currently published. When (and if) she's ready to return she'll be welcomed back to Sunday or any of the Big Comic magazines.

Thread Closed
Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast