Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunday TOC Talkback

Nice to see you on TwinAcres/Magic Bullet Girl. I think my collaborator and I were thinking of maybe starting a Sunday LJ but didn't know if it would have worked like the Jump one, thus why we just did a Sunday TOC/discussion thread here on Mangahelper.

It does seem strange though that Sunday seems more relaxed...yet we have mangaka like Kumeta, Raiku and Anzai complaining about their actions. I guess they probably have more space...but if you peeve them off, it could be worse than facing Jump's editors. (then again, Oda got a wrist-slap this week...but that's nothing compared to Raiku's lawsuit and Kumeta getting his dreams crushed)

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member magicbulletgirl's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick info thing for next weeks issue #46, all though Arata will have color pages it appears that a model named Saaya will be on the cover.
    (Btw, does Jump get as many models on it's magazine cover as much as Sunday?)

Also, what do you guys think of the Darren Shan adaptation? Sure it's only been allowed to go this long because it has to get to the end but I'd never heard of Takahiro Arai before this manga...
    For RAWs and Scanlations: Endless Youth and Co.
    http://conan-magic.com & http://community.livejournal.com/eync/

RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh, Magic! So nice to see you here!
    Haven't got the time to visit you over there at your LJ site for a while

As for mangakas complaining about Sunday... I would say it's complaint against Shogakukan in general as oppose to specifically Sunday.

I mean if what Shinjou Mayu wrote on her blog regarding her treatment by the editors at the shoujo department is accurate, then the working environment is pretty horrible.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    (Btw, does Jump get as many models on it's magazine cover as much as Sunday?)
    I Don't think i have really seen Models on jump covers...

Quote Quote:
    Also, what do you guys think of the Darren Shan adaptation? Sure it's only been allowed to go this long because it has to get to the end but I'd never heard of Takahiro Arai before this manga...
    I haven't read the novels but what i read of the manga (the two chapters that were scanned ;() I enjoyed it. It is a manga i will attempt to keep up with when Yen Press releases it
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    I Don't think i have really seen Models on jump covers...
    *Nod* WSJ doesn't do that. I know that WYJ has models for covers, as well as some other Seinen magazines.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Finestella: I'm getting the feeling it might be because of the pressure to make a hit that boosts sales. And while authors might complain, they don't quit unless they have another job lined up with another magazine because there are so many people out there who want to be manga-ka.

(Also I'm very glad to be in this thread everyone ^^)

The books aren't that bad ^^ but I wouldn't mind seeing more novels adapted.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TwinAcres's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I would say it's complaint against Shogakukan in general as oppose to specifically Sunday.
    Speaking of that, did anyone see the news today that Naoki Urusawa who has always been a Shogakukan guy, is doing his new series for Morning by Kodansha? *sighs* This is a trend that seems to be continuing....

MBG- I think Magazine and Sunday have about the same amount of models for their covers, but Jump seems to always stick to actual series. Also, about Darren-Shan, since you've checked out the novels. Is the manga not related at all storywise? Its just its own thing?

Ataru- Thanks for the warm welcome. We're always for anything to get Sunday more exposure, so that'd be cool!
    Last edited by TwinAcres; October 08, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    Dylan & Harley Acres
    http://www.furinkan.com
    Webmasters - Rumic World

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think back in the late 60s there may have been some real people on Jump covers...but they never really put models on like Sunday, Magazine or the seinen mags. (well OK, I'm used to it with Weekly Playboy but...well, look at the title!) My guess is that Jump tries to aim for a younger audience than the other two even if they're all shonen, and somehow the age they aim for isn't interested in girls yet. (even if the fanservice is there for older fans) Thus why they probably stick with the series.

BTW: Urasawa at Kodansha...yeah, maybe it's just Shogakukan's problem, not just Sunday's after all...

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Naoki continuing Pluto or has it ended?

I'm assuming Urasawa is going to Morning for editorial freedom. Morning has always taken the stance of not interfering with there mangaka. There's no style there looking for, be it art or story, and nothing approaching a "friendship, effort, victory" type theme. That's why Inoue took Vagabond there instead of Young Jump. Urasawa is looking to write Billy Bat the way he wants to, and he might not get in Big Comic Spirits.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 09, 2008 at 12:58 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicbulletgirl View Post
    @Finestella: I'm getting the feeling it might be because of the pressure to make a hit that boosts sales. And while authors might complain, they don't quit unless they have another job lined up with another magazine because there are so many people out there who want to be manga-ka.
    But still... coming out almost publicly against the publisher means it has to be bad enough for him/her to want to do that...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TwinAcres's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Is Naoki continuing Pluto or has it ended?

I'm assuming Urasawa is going to Morning for editorial freedom. Morning has always taken the stance of not interfering with there mangaka. There's no style there looking for, be it art or story, and nothing approaching a "friendship, effort, victory" type theme. That's why Inoue took Vagabond there instead of Young Jump. Urasawa is looking to write Billy Bat the way he wants to, and he might not get in Big Comic Spirits.
    Actually, I've read that it was the opposite reason as far as Inoue was concerned. He was looking for a more hands-on editor to give him some ideas.

But yeah, thankfully Pluto is still going strong in Big Comic Original.
    Dylan & Harley Acres
    http://www.furinkan.com
    Webmasters - Rumic World

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwinAcres View Post
    Actually, I've read that it was the opposite reason as far as Inoue was concerned. He was looking for a more hands-on editor to give him some ideas.

O_o" Seriously!? I mean I always thought of Kodansha as somewhat more relaxing (as oppose the warzone of Shueisha or the Slave Camp Shogakukan)

(Hakusensha = Heaven for Shoujo mangaka )

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwinAcres View Post

That article doesn't even have Vagabond in the right magazine. It's in Morning not Evening >.<

The demands at Morning are different then at other magazines. The editors don't make it a habit of editing content and they don't demand a particular art or writing style. Collaborating on ideas is part of what any good editor would do; they become a source of advice and a different perspective when the artist gets stuck.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's funny because based on comments from Arina Tanemura at Ribon, she makes it seem like she has a pretty hands on editor who helps with ideas and possible directions for the story, so I'm thinking maybe over all there are good and bad editors at every publication ^^;;

@Acres: The manga follows closely with the story though they do make some story adjustments for dramatic effect and because of page constraints.

*phew @ Pluto* I was scared for a second that might be in trouble ^^;;

@Finestella: It's their only option. Also, it could be an opportunity to see if they can gather support in the weekly voting/surveys of the series people like. By being in the news people might pay attention more to their series than they previously had. I'm not saying that this is what people do purposely but it actually seems something that makes sense... People respond positively and the editors have to treat the manga-ka better...

Heiji-sama

#46 :
    Alata Kangatari (Color Page)
    Kekkaishi
    Hayate
    Aoizakura
    Zettai Karen Children
    The World Only God Knows
    Kenichi
    Detective Conan
    Obô
    Maxim 11 (Color Page)
    Major
    Onidere
    Saijô no Meii
    Banchô
    Golf King
    Gekkô Jôrei
    Ocha ni Gosu
    Mitsuboshi
    Traumaister
    Darren Shan
    Acro
    Maoh
    Hyde & Closer
    Golden Age
    Gamble

#47 :
    The World Only God Knows & Golf King (Color Page)

Thread Closed
Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast